10 Day PH vs Gold AP

Castillo Mom

DIS Veteran
We have a 15 night stay booked at PVB 9/22/17 - 10/7/17. I'm trying to decide on whether to purchase a 10 day PH via Undercover Tourist is $527.42. The Gold AP is $595.34. Although we likely won't utilize the AP for a subsequent trip, the 20% merchandise discount might be worth the $67.92 difference in price sounds like it would be worth it. There's also the 20% dining discount which is valid through 9/22/17, so eight days of our trip.

Thoughts?​

If you have a 15 night stay, the AP would cover your whole trip while the 10 day PH would not, right? Is there a possibility that you'd want to spend an hour in a park on those days or are you traveling outside Disney? Also, the $68 equates to spending $350 on merchandise and food (if they accept the discount). Not sure on your family size but we could definitely hit that figure on meals and we cook a lot.

Even though you don't think you will use the AP for another trip, I would still go for the AP, since the price difference is not that big.

I bought the AP last year and expected to use it for an additional trip this year. Then life happened and now I get to use it for two trips this year :-)

if you buy the AP you have a great reason to visit DVC within the next year. :D

In the past we would avoid the photographers due to the $$.
But with the gold pass we were seeking them out.
I can't say enough about the way they position you for the best pictures and they add in features like Tink or others
As luck would have it our granddaughter and her family were able to visit for a few days and the pictures are priceless.

Is there any chance you might do another trip within the next 12 months? If so you will be kicking yourself for not doing the AP. I also agree the photopass is a nice benefit to have.

the 20% merchandise discount might be worth the $67.92 difference in price
With the added benefit of the photo pass the AP is a definite win! Just the ride photos alone are worth getting the memory maker. It doesn't seem like your dates fall within any black out dates. Plus having it might just be an excuse to add in even a short trip within the next year.

The photopass downloads alone make the Gold AP a good buy! Personally, I would get the passes for everyone... just in case you I got the urge to go back or would like more days in the park. However, you could consider buying a Gold AP for just one of you, thereby getting the discounts and perks for minimal cost

The DVC member merchandise discount is 20%, but the photopass perk makes it worth doing the upgrade IMO.

Between the photopass photos and the dining & merchandise discounts the AP is a no-brainer IMO. PLUS it would allow park days for every day of your trip.

I would consider the 10-day pass if I was traveling during a black-out period, otherwise I would pay the extra money and get the gold pass. The dining and merchandise discounts, free parking, photopass, extra days just to have a meal at Epcot or see some fireworks, and the option to return again are just too much to pass up.

If you opt for the AP because the photo thingy is the tipping point, remember you only need one AP to get that. No need to buy AP's for the whole family. Dining discounts have a max party size I believe though should that be an issue.

MG

We have a 15 night stay booked at PVB 9/22/17 - 10/7/17. I'm trying to decide on whether to purchase a 10 day PH via Undercover Tourist is $527.42. The Gold AP is $595.34. Although we likely won't utilize the AP for a subsequent trip, the 20% merchandise discount might be worth the $67.92 difference in price sounds like it would be worth it. There's also the 20% dining discount which is valid through 9/22/17, so eight days of our trip.

Thoughts?​
IMO it's worth that just for the flexibility over the other few days of your trip ignoring any other discounts. Say you decide you want to go to dinner only. It'll also give you the chance at more days with fast passes so you could run in, eat, use a couple of fast passes and move on.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I had completely forgotten about Photopass. You're right, that in and of itself is reason enough to get the AP.

KAT4DISNEY, so I can purchase PHs through UCT (at a savings of about $35 a piece) and get the gate price credited toward the Gold AP??? That would be great! In order to do the upgrade, would that need to be done in person or by calling Member Services?

Oh-oh, a 2nd trip may indeed be in our future. We live in Southern California and have been DLR AP holders for many years. When the premier pass debuted in 2011, it was an awesome deal so we purchased it since we had a trip to WDW planned for F&W that fall. Low and behold we ended up returning to WDW the following June!:rolleyes1

Oh-oh, a 2nd trip may indeed be in our future. We live in Southern California and have been DLR AP holders for many years. When the premier pass debuted in 2011, it was an awesome deal so we purchased it since we had a trip to WDW planned for F&W that fall. Low and behold we ended up returning to WDW the following June!:rolleyes1

Funny how that works isn't it. Seems to happen to us too! :)

Thanks for the replies everyone! I had completely forgotten about Photopass. You're right, that in and of itself is reason enough to get the AP.

KAT4DISNEY, so I can purchase PHs through UCT (at a savings of about $35 a piece) and get the gate price credited toward the Gold AP??? That would be great! In order to do the upgrade, would that need to be done in person or by calling Member Services?

Yes. As the current policy stands, if you purchase PHs through UCT, you can upgrade them at Disney Guest Services (in any park) by paying the difference between the current gate price of your PH tickets and the current AP price. You can do this as long as your PHs still have entitlements. Just be sure that you go to Guest Services knowing what you should pay so you can ensure that the CM bridges the price correctly. (Many CMs do not!) There is a "sticky" thread in this forum all about tickets. You can find detailed instructions there.

Of course you will take another trip! It's called "Disney math"!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter