“That’s just a weird thing to be happy about”: A Backstage Magic ABD TR! UPDATED 11/24 X3 & COMPLETE

dolewhipdreams

Counting days until my next Dole Whip
IMG_3456.JPG

Record scratch.

Freeze frame.

Yep, that’s us. You’re probably wondering how we wound up in this situation. Well let me lay it out for ya. Many years ago I heard of a little thing called Adventures by Disney and how they do a trip in LA and at Disneyland that lets you do behind the scenes stuff and blah blah blah but ALSO (and absolutely most importantly) where they take you to Imagineering. As soon as I saw that in the itinerary, I knew we would have to go…one day. But with the price point I knew it might be a while.

Fast forward to about a year and a half ago when I was planning out our vacation for 2019 (yep, I plan out vacation at least a year in advance) and I was brainstorming “small” trip ideas for our anniversary. Just around that time the rumors started coming out that SWGE might open in the summer of 2019 and I had an ~idea~.

mr krabs idea.gif

What if I convince my DH to not only spend our anniversary in the Happiest Place on Earth, but also fulfill my lifelong dream of visiting Imagineering, and ALSO potentially get backstage access to SWGE??? It seemed far-fetched but I went for it, backed up by facts and figures and a pleading look of desperation in my eye. And miracle of all miracles he agreed to it!

So here we are for another fast paced (though probably slowly updated) TR which has two goals: 1. To give you all a glimpse into our trip to help you plan your own (or live vicariously through the internet) and 2. To allow me to relive the trip once more and extend the Disney joy at home.

So who are we? We are Jon & Ann, two childless millennials who like to ruin Disney parks for families with children by our presence and willingness to have fun. Jon works in the Medicare world when the sun is up, but when the sun goes down he turns into a music-making, card-trick-doing, dessert-eating fiend.

IMG-2223.JPG

I’m Ann and I’ll be your host on this fabulous adventure. I’m not an early bird or a night owl, but more of a mid-day manatee. I’m a chemical engineer by degree but a Disney fanatic by instinct. I usually have a Disney planning spreadsheet open in the background and if I’m not talking about Disney or travel, I’m probably thinking about it.

IMG-2236.JPG

And what exactly will this TR cover? Our very FIRST ABD, which we took July 14-19 of this year, plus some of the fun stuff we did before and after the official ABD. Will it include a behind-the-scenes look of our favorite world of Disney? Yup. Will it include a glimpse into what an ABD is like and why we DEFINITELY thought it was worth the price point? Absolutely. Will it include far more photos than you ever thought it was possible to even take in a week? Okay that’s an easy one- duh!

Speaking of the ABD… I know that there are some out there who don’t necessarily want to hear all the surprises that happen on an ABD and that there are also some who really do. So to help protect people who would rather stick with general stuff, I’m going to do my best to change my text color to
DARK BLUE whenever I’m about to talk about something that might not be common knowledge. I’ll also add a warning at the beginning of each post if it talks about something secret!

Now with that- grab a snack, take a seat, and por favor manténgase alejado de las puertas. Because this TR is about to pull away from the station.

peter pan come on everybody.gif

Last edited:
FIRST!!!! READY TO READ ABOUT YOU CRAZY CHILDLESS MILLENNIALS AND YOUR ADVENTURES IN LA!!!!

What if I convince my DH to not only spend our anniversary in the Happiest Place on Earth, but also fulfill my lifelong dream of visiting Imagineering, and ALSO potentially get backstage access to SWGE???

I REALLY need to know about your visit to Imagineering HQ and if you got backstage to SWGE.

I have my popcorn AND a large Dr. Pepper. I'm ready to roll.

source.gif

FIRST!!!! READY TO READ ABOUT YOU CRAZY CHILDLESS MILLENNIALS AND YOUR ADVENTURES IN LA!!!!
I can't describe how happy I am that you were the first to post 😍

REALLY need to know about your visit to Imagineering HQ and if you got backstage to SWGE.
Oh girl, I'm gonna get down and durty on all that.

I have my popcorn AND a large Dr. Pepper. I'm ready to roll.
We are snack twins.

I am so glad you are writing a report! We leave tomorrow. Can't wait!
Have an amazing time!!

Jumping in, this trip has always been a dream of mine so will be nice to read an updated version of it.

So excited to hear about this! As I have exactly 4 years till I can book take my first ABD trip, I need allllll the details!

Woo! I'm here!! Can't wait to read all about it!
Yay glad to see you here! And I just pulled up your newest TR so I'll go check in over there right away!

I usually just lurk, but I must follow this TR! This ABD is definitely on my bucket list!
Oh man it was amazing I really hope you get to do it!

So excited to hear about this! As I have exactly 4 years till I can book take my first ABD trip, I need allllll the details!
I love how specific that is and how you already have it planned out. You are my people.

Following along!
Yay! Welcome!

Following! Sounds like a great trip!
Glad to have you :D

Can’t wait to read about your ABD . I have looked at this trip more than once but haven’t gotten the nerve to book yet. I haven’t been to DL before and it is definitely on my bucket list. Look forward to reading your thoughts on this adventure .

Last edited:
Looking forward to reliving the Adventure. Right this way Adventurers!
I hope I do it justice!

Joining in!

You people made my kids cry with all your pretzel buying! Can’t wait to hear about your trip!
You can't keep me away from the pretzels!!!!!

Can’t wait to read about your ABD . I have looked at this trip more than nice but haven’t gotten the nerve to book yet. I haven’t been to DL before and it is definitely on my bucket list. Look forward to reading your thoughts on this adventure .
Okay my mission now is to use this TR to fully convince you to take the plunge. It's an amazing trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter