“In Store Only” but... Shop Parks app confusion

Dug720

See the line where the sky meets the sea?
I am looking at something I’d like to get next week when I am in the Parks. On the app it says “In Store Only” on the thumbnail. When I click on the thumbnail, the first line says “Out of Stock” but the “Where to find” link is active and leads to a map with lots of green check marks.

So does the “Out of Stock” refer only to the stock that would be shipped but the check marks indicate it IS at those locations for in store purchase only? Or are those just the places it would be if it was in stock? It’s a bit confusing...

It is confusing. I think you might be applying too much logic where there is none ;) I spend far too much time browsing the parks app and have come to accept that there isn't always a rhyme or reason. Once we were going from store to store looking for a certain item that the app said was "in stock" at those places, and they all said they did not have any. In general, the green check mark should mean it is actually currently in stock at that location. The only way to know for sure is to go to that store and check, unfortunately. What item is it you're looking for?

It is confusing. I think you might be applying too much logic where there is none ;) I spend far too much time browsing the parks app and have come to accept that there isn't always a rhyme or reason. Once we were going from store to store looking for a certain item that the app said was "in stock" at those places, and they all said they did not have any. In general, the green check mark should mean it is actually currently in stock at that location. The only way to know for sure is to go to that store and check, unfortunately. What item is it you're looking for?

Thanks! Glad it is not just me who is confused.

The Rainbow Ear hat

Go to the closest shop and ask a CM if an item is available. They can check the actual inventory and will direct you to the store where an In Stock item can be purchased.

The shop CM will also know if an item is out of stock property-wide.

Go to the closest shop and ask a CM if an item is available. They can check the actual inventory and will direct you to the store where an In Stock item can be purchased.

The shop CM will also know if an item is out of stock property-wide.

Sometimes they are given totally wrong information when they call to track down an item. This just happened to my friend at Disneyland. She was looking for a specific size of a sweatshirt and we had seen it the day before, but couldn't remember where. We asked a CM and she made a call to "central inventory" and then said "we don't have any of that size anywhere on property." The next day, we found them (a bunch of them) at a store at DCA. So, I wouldn't always trust this method.

Sometimes they are given totally wrong information when they call to track down an item. This just happened to my friend at Disneyland. She was looking for a specific size of a sweatshirt and we had seen it the day before, but couldn't remember where. We asked a CM and she made a call to "central inventory" and then said "we don't have any of that size anywhere on property." The next day, we found them (a bunch of them) at a store at DCA. So, I wouldn't always trust this method.

It is possible since you saw them the next day that a shipment came overnight.

I do agree with this. Or, when I've asked a CM before to check inventory at other locations, he said "we have the shop parks app for that now" and was going to teach me how to use the app, which I already know is hit or miss. Maybe it just depends on the CM.

We’ve never had a problem checking for a specific item even when the item was in a different park they could identify the shop and the correct sizing.

DLR is a separate entity from WDW and all their systems run differently than WDW’s.

It is possible since you saw them the next day that a shipment came overnight.

No. I actually remembered which store we had see them in and we returned there and sure enough, there they were.

Thanks! Glad it is not just me who is confused.

The Rainbow Ear hat
I saw the rainbow ear hat several places when I was there last week. Check the bigger stores or the hat store on Main St. in MK. I saw it at Disney Springs also.

My daughter wanted a specific sweatshirt. Castmember said it showed 1 available at Boardwalk. She told us that it may or may not be there. system updates evry 24 hours.

I saw the rainbow ear hat several places when I was there last week. Check the bigger stores or the hat store on Main St. in MK. I saw it at Disney Springs also.

Thank you!!

It is confusing. I think you might be applying too much logic where there is none ;) I spend far too much time browsing the parks app and have come to accept that there isn't always a rhyme or reason. Once we were going from store to store looking for a certain item that the app said was "in stock" at those places, and they all said they did not have any. In general, the green check mark should mean it is actually currently in stock at that location. The only way to know for sure is to go to that store and check, unfortunately.

So true.

When we were there in early April, there were several F&G Festival items I wanted that were marked as "in-store only" and showed where I could supposedly buy them. Each time I went to those stores, the CMs said, "Oh no, we don't have any of those." When I pointed out that the app told me they did, they all would just say "sometimes it's not correct." One CM finally admitted to me that it's not updated in real time, and that it takes 24+ hours (with emphasis on the +) for updates to be reflected on the app. :(

Several times I was told by CMs that an item was completely sold out, only to find at a store at the other end of WS that there was a whole rack/display full of them. I was also told other wrong information on that same trip...I was looking for the F&G spirit jersey, and a CM told me they'd long been sold out, but they were due to get a new shipment in a week. I pointed out that I would be back home in snowy Michigan in a week, and since they were "in-store only" that would do me no good. He swore that they would be restocking all sizes and that they would no longer be in-store only. Well, I stalked that app daily and yes, they did restock, but sure enough it was still labeled in-store only, and all I ever saw were sizes XL and XXL (and I needed a M).

Does anybody remember the days before the app, where only a CM could look up the item and tell you where to find it...and then you'd go there and it would actually be there?!? I actually feel really badly for the CMs because I'm sure it's frustrating for them too.

I remember last year I saw the funniest t-shirt in the Winnie the Pooh shop, and I changed my mind and wanted to get it after we left MK. I searched high and low on the Shop Parks app and couldn't find it anywhere. Went back to MK and bought it. Was thinking about the experience a month later and checked the Shop Parks app - there was my t-shirt as the first search result :upsidedow

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!