“I do not deal with my problems like I know I should” - F&W Fest 2018 - Update 1/20 Going Home

HI !

I'm following along on your France PTR and just saw you over here. We'll be doing the opposite as you and going to France this year, then WDW/Florida next year!

Both trips look amazing! You know how to vacation in style!

Following along!!! Our trip overlaps with yours a few days in November!!

That Soarin tour sounds amazing! and the Bourbon one too, I wish I was a DVC member! That is so awesome!

Also - I LOVE your dining reports and your reservations look amazing, so I already can't wait to read about them all!

Hope you have a great trip! Maybe we'll run into each other. I hope I can get into the Soarin - I'm going to keep trying! Buying into DVC 6 years ago was one of the best things we did - makes it easy to go to Disney more without having to worry about hotel costs.

Glad you enjoy my dining reports :) This trip report will be heavily dining reviewed as well but since my trips are on opposite sides of the festival - its hard to keep it to one report there and meet the 3 month rule!

Following along! Super jealous of the 2(!!!) V&A reservations I see! I keep trying to convince him to do it, but he'd rather spend the extra money on the better hotel. I did convince him to do brunch at Cali though, in addition to dinner.

Yes - 2 V&A reservations currently. It could change though based on the Signature Dinings events of the festival but right now its there! We love V&A although we go a lot less once they stopped taking the Tables in Wonderland discount. Brunch at California Grill is amazing so that is a nice splurge for your honeymoon! Since we're DVC - our hotel is paid for which helps on the splurge of food for November. In September, my mother is covering the cost of the hotel. I paid for our dessert party and I'll pay for any special F&W events we do so having to cover the cost of my V&A dinner isn't too bad!

Following along!!:wave:

Welcome!

HI !

I'm following along on your France PTR and just saw you over here. We'll be doing the opposite as you and going to France this year, then WDW/Florida next year!

Both trips look amazing! You know how to vacation in style!

Have so much fun in France/England! Hopefully you do a trip report of that trip so I can see what all you did! We're letting other people do the arranging for us. The joys of being a DINK! We rather save in other things in life and splurge on vacations.

I'm here! Bummer we'll just be missing you by a few days in August as we leave the 26th.

I'm here! Bummer we'll just be missing you by a few days in August as we leave the 26th.

Welcome! Aww...that's a bummer we'll be missing you by a few days! Going anywhere near the end of the month is rough for me with my job. I'm shocked they actually approved my August 31st vacation as thats the worst day of the month for work but I submitted it in January so they can't say I didn't give them amble notice.

Trip #1 - Initial Plan

ADR Date: Already Passed
FP+ Date: June 30th, 2018 (I'm happy my mother is making the FP+ as June 30th will be a really busy day for me at work since its Fiscal Year End)

Thursday, August 30th
No Parks!

4:00PM - Leave Work
7:30PM - Arrive at Grand Floridian (Assuming Traffic Near Tampa) & Settle In Room (my mother would have already arrived on the 29th)
8:00PM - Walk to Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto for Appetizers & Cocktails

Friday, August 31st
EPCOT Day!
Hours: 9AM to 10PM

8:00AM - Head to EPCOT Via Monorail
9:00AM - EPCOT Opens
...Head To Soarin’, Living With The Land, Finding Nemo
...FP+ around 10PM for Spaceship Earth
...If time, Journey into Imagination
11:00AM - EPCOT Food & Wine Festival Booths Open
12:00PM - Coral Reef Lunch (This is 95% going to end up cancelled)
...FP+ for Frozen around 12:30/1PM
1/2PM - Head Back To Hotel
4:30PM - Head To Disney Springs
6:00PM - Maria & Enzo’s

Saturday, September 1st
Hollywood Studios Day!
Hours: 9AM - 8:30PM

8:00AM - Drive to Hollywood Studios
9:00AM - Hollywood Studios Opens
...Rock’n’Roller Coaster
...Toy Story Land (FP+ for whichever ride we can get)
...Star Tours
...Frozen Sing-a-Long
12:00PM - Lunch at Woody’s Lunch Box or Brown Derby Lounge
2:00PM - Head Back To Hotel
3:00PM - Spa Time?
5:45PM - Victoria & Albert’s

Sunday, September 2nd
Magic Kingdom Day!
Hours: 9AM to 9PM

9:00AM to 10:15AM - Fantasyland Rides (Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, Ariel, Possibly Buzz Lightyear)
10:30AM - Monorail to Contemporary
11:05AM - California Grill - Brunch At The Top
12:30PM - Head Back To Grand Floridian For Post Brunch Nap
3:00PM - Head Back To Magic Kingdom (FP+ to be set up starting at 2:30PM)
5:30PM - Skipper Canteen (Probably going to split an entree/drink more wine)
7:30PM: Fireworks Dessert Party at Tomorrowland Terrace
8:30PM - Happily Ever After Fireworks
9:00PM - Back To Hotel

Monday, September 3rd
7:30AM - Bon Voyage Adventure Breakfast
9:00AM - Drive Home!​

Plans look great!! I heard the DIS podcast talking about how great the menu at Woody’s lunchbox looks ... although there was some outrage that the menu included beer as it doesn’t fit the lunchbox theme. I’m going to have to research it. And V&A’s!!! Now that sounds delightful. As does brunch - I’m so excited to try that I can hardly stand it.

Last edited:
Following along! I always love reading your TRs and in for your PTRs so I can learn a lot from you! Got my vacation booked at end of November as opposed to beginning but can’t wait to keep reading more of your PTRs :love: I’m hoping fr California grill brunch too!

Plans look great!! I heard the DIS podcast talking about how great the menu at Woody’s lunchbox looks ... although there was some outrage that the menu included beer as it doesn’t fit the lunchbox theme. I’m going to have to research it. And V&A’s!!! Now that sounds delightful. As does brunch - I’m so excited to try that I can hardly stand it.

While the menu looks interesting, we'll wait until the reviews actually come out. It could also be entirely too crowded for me to want to deal with it so options work! I would like beer at lunch or wine or mixed beverages. I'm so glad you are finally getting to try brunch!

Following along! I always love reading your TRs and in for your PTRs so I can learn a lot from you! Got my vacation booked at end of November as opposed to beginning but can’t wait to keep reading more of your PTRs :love: I’m hoping fr California grill brunch too!

End of November is a lot of fun too! All of the Christmas decorations will be out and EPCOT will have their Festival of the Holidays going on! Hope you are able to get brunch! I think it went really quick for people in early November because it is a nice post half marathon celebration place!

Looks like you have some great plans already. You are already so ahead of me for our August trip :-) Really excited to hear about Victoria and Alberts. We've yet to go, though I'm dying to.

Looks like you have some great plans already. You are already so ahead of me for our August trip :-) Really excited to hear about Victoria and Alberts. We've yet to go, though I'm dying to.

Well - I think our August trip is so well planned as it is with my mother and she really wants it to be planned out. She's going to do Italy in 2019 and already is asking me a ton of questions for that. My November trip has a lot of blanks after the ADRs I may or may not keep. For that trip the only think I know for sure are the plans for the race weekend portion as we have that stuff down to a science at this point and that we are going to go see the Queen Biopic movie at some point during the week as it comes out November 2nd. Everything else is going to be up to whatever special events come out.

Run Disney Race Update

During our November Trip, it seems we get to be the test subjects for their new race system...

This announcement came out yesterday...

Screen Shot 2018-06-02 at 9.36.54 AM.png

I'm currently registered for the 5K & 10K for Wine & Dine Weekend. My husband is running the 10K/Half Marathon.

Hopefully this change means I won't have to attach our bibs to photopass to download our photos.

The change does mean I have a bit of time until I need to spend money for Marathon Weekend registration so I can get the back half of our backyard cleared out this month!​

Interesting. It sounds great and I know there were lots of issues with past process through a third party. But, Disney IT doesn’t exactly have a terrific reputation. Hopefully it all goes smoothly! I’m getting so excited for Food & Wine!!!

Interesting. It sounds great and I know there were lots of issues with past process through a third party. But, Disney IT doesn’t exactly have a terrific reputation. Hopefully it all goes smoothly! I’m getting so excited for Food & Wine!!!

Guess we'll find out how it goes in July!

I"m so excited for Food & Wine Too -- I need to go through all the info that was released today!

Memorial Day 5K/10K

Since this is pre-trip report that includes some running, figure might as well give my more detailed race report for the race we ran on Memorial Day! This race is our favorite of the local races in the surrounding area and they currently are on year 3 of a 5 year series for the various branches of the US Military. The money raised is also given to the veterans of Charlotte County so it is nice to know that it goes towards something nice.

75rLK0Z.png

Pre-Race: Apparently I can’t tell matching colors at 4:30AM wake up calls.

I also apparently looked grumpy or took really bad photos as no more exist of me during the race. My husband has some though!

The race started right at 7AM. The day before the race our area of the state was being covered by the outer bands of Alberto (no risk for damage - it was just a good soaking with 15/20 mph winds so no worse than most Florida thunderstorms) While it wasn’t rainy this morning, the humidity was horrible and add in the warm weather, we had a steam bath during the race!

rvVboMt.png

TnJtSvD.png

My husband took the race easy and ended up with a time of 1:02:42 which is slow for him but considering the conditions, it wasn’t a bad time! He got third place in his age group as well. I took it slow and walked mostly and had a time of 58:29 for my 5K. I wasn’t too worried about breaking records.

PF0hPKd.png
fQxeCaM.png

Husband’s Finish Line Photos

We didn’t stay for awards or the raffle this year as my husband was done once he finished. The humidity had killed him. He even had to wring out his shirt before he got into our car for the hour drive home. Luckily I had towels in the car from Gantu’s rides in the car so he’s sweat didn’t get on my leather seats.

Overall, a decent race. Too bad Alberto made it a bit more rough than either of us wanted to deal with!​

Trip #2 - Universal Studios Visit

My husband likes to remind me that he hasn't seen Harry Potter at Universal Orlando yet I have. We need to get that fixed.

I go to the movies a ton. I’ve had Moviepass since 2013 way before it became super popular with the $9.99 model they have now. Now it’s only $79.99 a year for me which is nice! Before Irma, the closest movie theater to my house was a Regal and it was also the largest theater with 20 different screens so I could always find something I haven’t yet seen. I'm ready for it to finish its refurbishment so that I can start going there again and not having to drive 20 minutes to the nearest theater that takes Moviepass or 30 minutes to the closest Regal so I can earn points.

With the Regal Movie Club, I earn a ton of points but I don’t need to use them on free tickets. Well, one of the ways you can use your tickets is for Universal Orlando tickets! It is 75,000 points a piece so it took 150,000 points for me to get us two tickets. It also sells out rather fast since it is such a good deal for someone with moviepass or who can get to Universal easily enough. I had done this in 2017 over 4th of July Weekend with my mother but this year - the tickets are blocked out over summer.

REjUIn4.png

Now we need to decide what day between November 5th and 10th, we are going to do Universal. It will really depend on what special events we decide to do for Food & Wine Festival and what events I’m able to get us into!

Depending on the cost, we may end up buying express passes just to make sure we can do it all during the visit. That is currently $79.99 a person but we need to decide on what date we're going to go to the park before we can purchase those!​

Universal sounds fun. Even better with such a deal! You will have a fun fall! Good luck getting all the F&W events you’re hoping for!

Wow, that is a great deal! Reasonably priced movie ticket and points for Universal. Score!

Universal sounds fun. Even better with such a deal! You will have a fun fall! Good luck getting all the F&W events you’re hoping for!

I'm hoping for a fun fall to have a good break from the craziness I expect August to be with work due to a major project coming to fruition at that point.

I'm kinda mad at Disney right now as they are having booking without having all the events announced...bah!

Wow, that is a great deal! Reasonably priced movie ticket and points for Universal. Score!

It is! Makes me not feel bad about also purchasing express passes to make sure we do all the attractions we want to get done!

Pop Up - Elevated Southern Cuisine w/ Season 6 Masterchef Runner Up, Derrick Fox

Since I'm mad at Disney with their lack of special event announcements for Food & Wine Festival...I figure I will post a fun dinner I went to!

On June 8th, I had the pleasure of going to a wine dinner by myself at Venue Naples. This is an event space that hosts a wine dinner or special event of their own about once or twice a month. It is owned by one of the major catering companies in the area as the main chef doesn’t run a restaurant anymore as he enjoys switching things up more. My husband had decided not to join me so he could stay home with the dogs & because he had to work at 6AM the next day. Luckily, I have no problem doing these things on my own! I arrived about 20 minutes early for the event and left my purse on my chair before heading over to the reception area where I was alone and awkward for a bit before people in smaller groups were talkative. There were three chefs involved in the dinner - the Venue Owner (Brian Rolland), Masterchef Season 6 Runner Up (Derrick Fox) who grew up in Fort Myers, FL, and David Robbins, a local chef.

oGZDhs7.jpg

Table Setting

CLINVrD.jpg

Mint Julep

The opening reception included a mint julep. This one was really sweet but refreshing overall.

nwXQki5.jpg

Braised Pork Belly w/ Strawberry Relish

8pMpFXb.jpg

The Elvis - Caramelized Banana, Bacon, Peanut Butter on Brioche

There were three passed appetizers, but I only got photos of two. The one I missed a photo of was a watermelon with a spicy cured meat wrapped around it. I really liked how the spice and watermelon worked well together! The other two were nice options as well. The strawberry relish was something different to have on top of braised pork belly. It was so good, I had to have two! The Elvis was a nice nod to the King and you could tell the peanut butter was homemade. It was rather rich so the size of the bite was just enough!

qFF1ZBA.jpg

Deviled Duck Egg w/ Foie Gras

I’m glad I had people near me that love eggs as I really do hate deviled eggs and knew I wouldn’t enjoy this. The gentlemen two seats over was more than happy to take this from me and enjoy it! Using Foie Gras and Duck eggs did fit the theme of elevated southern!

jj3GZwD.jpg

Oysters Three Ways - Cold Smoked, Baked w/ Boursin Cheese and Fried

I’ve gotten a lot better about enjoying oysters. I don’t actively seek them out with ordering them at a restaurant but I will eat one if it is given to me at a dining event that I feel I can trust - such a wine dinners. These were presented to three separate ways. I ate them in the order I thought I would like them least to best and I would say I did alright with that. I started with the raw oyster topped with buttermilk creme fraiche and trout roe. The cold smoke gave it a nice flavor profile as well but there is something about swallowing a raw oyster that I just need to get better at. When I first saw the 2nd oyster, I made a mistake of thinking it was an Oyster Rockefeller. I was so wrong (I ate it before the venue owner/chef explained the dish as he was taking forever to talk about the cold smoke and the use of a smoking gun and trying to get it onto an airplane) It was a baked oyster with boursin cheese and breadcrumb so a play on a rockefeller but so much better! I could have eaten a dozen of those things! The fried oyster was served with bacon, a blue cheese olive (left behind) and a bloody mary shot (given to the guy 2 seats down since I don’t like bloody marys - I think he was happy he was near me!) The cornmeal breading was well seasoned and I was really happy with this oyster as well but the 2nd one was totally my favorite.

bSuARPd.jpg

Fruit Salad - Fiddleheads, Cheese Leaf, Peach, Tomato Leather, Creme Fraiche

The next dish was a very seasonal and locally sourced salad. The fiddlehead and cauliflower were pickled in the spring and had a nice flavor to them. The new thing on this dish was something called the cheese leaf. The chefs didn’t explain more about it than that so I wouldn’t be able to find it again most likely. It tasted like blue cheese when eaten alone but when you had it with some of the peach or creme fraiche, it had a very luxurious taste profile that is hard to describe. The other interesting element of the dish was the dehydrated tomato pulp. It tasted exactly like a fruit roll up but you knew it was better for you as it didn’t have tons of fake things in it. The couple next to me was trying to convince them to sell it at the local farmer’s markets.

Gplf4uS.jpg

Shrimp & Grits - Large Tiger Shrimp w/ Sweet Corn Polenta Cake

I had seen this dish prior to it being served on Derrick’s Instagram page. Despite knowing what we were going to be served, it was still a shock as it was much larger than I expected! I really enjoyed the polenta cake with the shrimp and the pork fat sauce. If it was socially acceptable, I would have licked all the sauce off the plate!

oT7HdXA.jpg

Watermelon Granita

We were given a palate cleanser before we were to be given the next two entree courses. Inside the granita there was basil, sea salt and some liquor that I can’t remember now. Super refreshing! Melted really quickly so along with those around me, we just picked up the dish and drank it towards the end! Not the classiest of moves..

ilAF6NY.jpg

KFC - Korean Fried Chicken on top of Beignet

Our next course was their play on chicken & waffles which as a very classic dish that has become super popular over the past few years. The chicken was a boneless thigh with the skin on. It had been marinated with buttermilk with typical korean spices and then fried and served with a traditional New Orleans Beignet and topped with a Jim Beam/Maple Syrup Reduction. It was a rich dish and I left most of the beignet behind but I need more of that chicken in my life. It had just enough spice for me and was perfectly crispy. I will say some of those around me didn’t enjoy it as much but they didn’t like the Gochujang that was used on the chicken which can be a polarizing flavor for some.

R6sh7Qj.jpg

Sloppy Joe - Braised Short Rib on top of Brioche with Fried Pickles & Poached Egg

I had to laugh when I was served my dish and they apologized for the egg having fallen off. I was perfectly ok with that as I would have pushed it off anyway! This take on a sloppy joe was way better than any other one I’ve had. The dish was super rich as the short rib was sous vide for 24 hours and then fried and the brioche underneath was crispy but full of butter notes and melted perfectly in your mouth as you ate each bite. The guy that had taken the devilled egg & vodka shot asked me for my egg as he wanted more of the egg on top of his portion of the beef and I was happy to oblige. This time I did take everything up with my fork to ensure the plate was clean!

sln14hb.jpg

Flambe the Cherries!

At the end of the entree courses, they set up a flambe station in front of us all. Derrick Fox came out to tell us more stories and put on a flambe show for cherries in Jim Beam. These cherries were to be used for topping of the creme brulee. He thanked us all and then sang happy birthday to his grandmother which was super sweet.

B3WXBe7.jpg

Cobbler topped with Vanilla Custard & Frozen Raspberries & Almond Creme Brulee

I really was too full to truly appreciate this dessert. I skipped the cobbler as I knew it was going to be more rich than I thought I could handle at this point. I enjoyed the almond creme brulee as that was light enough to not put me over the food coma edge, unlike one of those near me who had reached that point.

My one complaint about the event was the the wine pours were stingy (like less than half a glass) I had debated prior to the event on if I wanted to drive myself there or take an Uber/Lyft. I’m glad I decided to drive myself as despite having one cocktail and 6 pours of wine, I had zero buzz or impairment. The small pours for the wine and the large amount of food given allowed that to happen. The wine pairings were an extra $40 but I think next time, I’ll just bring my own bottle so I can have real pours (some others that had done these events hear before had done that)​

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter