“All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."

mdsouth

DIS Veteran
“All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.”
Pre-trip Report - Originally planned for December 30 - January 3, 2020 but had to be changed to Summer 2020!

It is finally happening! I am officially heading back to WDW after a five year hiatus! I cannot wait to go back! The title of my pre-trip report is one of Walt’s quotes.

I have planned and planned and PLANNED for this trip! As fellow DISers, no matter how many times you have been or even the amount of times between trips, WE ALL ARE CONSTANTLY THINKING ABOUT AND PLANNING our next trip! For many of us, these plans never come to fruition. But even so, we enjoy the time, planning them and following along with other DISers plans and trips through pre-trip reports and trip reports. Over the years, I have enjoyed following along with others and just corresponding with other Disney lovers. It is amazing wonderful how through our mutual love of Disney we are able to connect with others around the world, those with similar backgrounds and those whose lives are totally different from us. Through each of these connections, I have gained insight on the joys and hardships we all face. No matter our different beliefs, attitudes, lifestyle, for us DISers, a trip to Walt Disney World or Disneyland is a time of celebration, relaxation, fun, and reflection. Walt understood this, ““Our heritage and ideals, our code and standards – the things we live by and teach our children – are preserved or diminished by how freely we exchange ideas and feelings.” - Walt Disney

For me, the planning is becoming a reality! WOO HOO! Come along with me and share in my joy, and offer advice. As Walt once said, “The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing.”

uT6RRgOA71WUbt9s7x34X3OFNv7Npbnd2XyAEmx1Mhfq6IdRzRvnGpGpWOAyjqT4chNXGXduyp2CbF4bGWpvAGb_kGeu0iDtGdC3mFmhDVy9sYHw6jK0rMTlo5mV0ISz2Q66mrEw

I am Michele, mdsouth here on the DIS. Mickey and Minnie Mouse is my favorite couple of all time and my favorite characters!

I grew up watching the Walt Disney’s Wonderful World of Color with Walt Disney hosting the show and then The Wonderful World of Disney. It was my favorite tv show as a child. Mickey and Minnie Mouse is my favorite couple of all time and my favorite characters!
6rOG-1s356rnU37q75k3t-x8NT6ebLrdN256_k8U6NZ4eOfVj-K-ThahQWPnnwgyRH9EZVwOUQjOTrPqEgchaqduWAphKbCIL7j16eNUiE7kJDJ4YbjynYL9lNQ48czFhrkvPvdJ

At the time, color television was fairly new and we did not have our own color tv set, so every Sunday night we would spend the evening with grandparents watching television together and having our standard Sunday evening supper, POPCORN and ICE CREAM! Is it any wonder that as a child I became hooked on Disney. I remember Walt talking to us about the shows, Disneyland and his future plans for a theme park in Florida!

ENOUGH OF THE BACKSTORY! Fast-forward to 2019!

khHNNbbt8ILnkL07RGFyDbqUXUmHXwlVqENs1gQVMjvzi1hkhkV37sUzpHds27ymKxpVekyxmDAOToDzEKkFX55MsugUTgKwlSnJdNQ5iEBo74RXZvg-squtnXJDsT81_uYRqndT

This is a picture of me and my hubby. I am a middle school Social Studies teacher. I teach eight grade. I expect a trip to WDW mid school year will be just I will need during Christmas Break. As the plan stands now, my hubby will be staying home and work while I am at Disney with my son, Jake.

My Favorites!
Characters: Mickey and Minnie Mouse
Park - Magic Kingdom
Rides - It’s a Small World, Peter Pan, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Soarn, Test Track (These might change when we ride new ride, FOP, 7DMT)
Restaurants - Ohana, Pecos Bills, Le Cellier
Movies - 101 Dalmatians, Aristocrats, Rescuers, Monsters Inc. Cinderella, Tangled
Jake just graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in Geography from Illinois State University. We, affectionately refer to him as Jake the Geographer!
G2CJT6zVjLGMkqURSlQlw_OUNtgFlwVMuddUniP1qb39-IrnvX9khu_ylCh6uAdjP2j1IL8WdN49Nc7bUKoAsGfLVzxV6oKy1yFh6WoLxa8aLp9FozKt4kKaI878LnDDVUmsHrIh

He and I will primarily be taking this trip together, with a few meet ups with my daughter, Haley. Haley will be a Junior in high school and she is in the marching band. That is the reason for this trip. Her band will be performing in the Outback Bowl during the half-time show and in the New Year’s Eve parade in Ybor City (Tampa). So, using Disney logic, I planned this trip to coincide with the band’s trip to Florida. Jake and I will spend most of our time in WDW and will see Haley in the parade and once at Disney Springs with the band. This is just a flip to my 2014 trip when Jake was in high school and his marching band performed at Disney. On that trip, Haley and I went down early and spent four days in the parks before we met up with Jake and his band.

Jake’s Favorites
Parks - Magic Kingdom and EPCOT
Rides - Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Test Track, Soarin, and Rock N Roll Coaster (Again these may change with this trip)
Movies: Cars, 101 Dalmatians, Monsters Inc.

Haley’s Favorites
Park - Animal Kingdom (So much so that on our last trip we spent TWO FULL days out of our four there and this was BEFORE Pandora opened!)
Rides - Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Soarin
Movies: Ratatouille, 101 Dalmatians, Lion King (Since Ratatouille is Haley’s favorite movie, we are planning a trip back to WDW after the ride is open to celebrate her HS graduation in 2021.)
WdBWDADkb4e-5aFXqKSsAGfaOPuANJNik-eKjbGnyWVW5dZHJ-rebbyOlaHF_LXm5FTaApTgBDly5ooXIvOtW-gnYzg7WFLso5bf07q2iKrG9D7ZIuYzfb23snDZoIqhBHf5zDIu

Last edited:
Last edited:
Joining in!! How exciting to have a trip back :)

Thanks for joining me! I am thrilled for the company and to have someone to bounce ideas off of, especially with planning my fastpasses and general days in the parks. I have enjoyed reading your TRs and from what I could tell, you managed to go on lots of rides without super long waits. Of course, part of that was due to the time you went but also a lot had to do with your planning.

Chapter 1 - All the Details

Quote of the day from Walt -
“There is no magic in magic, it’s all in the details.”
— Walt Disney

Dates: December 30, 2019 - January 3, 2020
I am considering adding the 29th so we can get an early start on the 30th. Right now It depends on when we can leave home.

Transportation: Car - 17 hour drive UGG! We will most likely spend one night on the road, somewhere north of Atlanta, Georgia. Since we will be going over to Tampa one day to see my daughter's high school band in the New Year's Eve parade, it makes more sense to just drive. Plus, my son prefers to drive. He LOVES road trips!

Resort: All Star Sports
Since it will only be my son and I, and we are going during the MOST EXPENSIVE time of the year, I decided I could save a bit of money and book us in a value resort. I have never stayed at a value resort before. I was thinking about POP but with the gondolas opening there, they have increased the price for that resort and neither my son nor I are big on heights, so I figure we would most likely not use the gondolas. He is a HUGE SPORTS FAN! He love all sports and knows a lot about different college and professional baseball, hockey and football teams. He surprises most people with the depth of his knowledge on big and small college teams and facts about the professional teams, when they originated, the stadiums and the players. So, it just seems like All Star Sports will be a perfect place for us. He was excited to hear that was where we will be.

Sports Footballmaxresdefault.jpg

I've stayed at All Star Sports before and find it to be completely suitable! Your son will definitely love the themeing!

Good to hear from someone that has stayed there. I have thought about staying at a value previously but then discounts would be released and I would upgrade to a mod. I have stayed at three of the four mods, CSR, CBR and PORFQ. I enjoyed all three. If the whole family was going, I would go with a mod again but since it will just be Jake and I, Sports it is.

Chapter 2 - Disney Dining!

I am trying to decide between getting the Quick Service plan or just paying for our dining out of pocket. I will probably figure out a basic budget and put that on a Disney giftcard and use it while I am there. Since it will be just the two of us, and knowing my son's taste in food and his reluctance to try exotic foods, I figure we would most likely just be eating most of our meals at counter service places. I am looking over the menus and thinking about what we most likely would eat and where we would eat to get a general idea of which would be a better option for us. So, take a look at my planned dining and let me know your thoughts.

Current ADRs

Because I am worried about how crowded and packed MK will be and have read accounts of how hard it is to find tables and the long lines at counter service places on the 30th and 31, I have made more ADRs than I might otherwise for the two of us. \

Dec 30th - MK
Tony's 12:10
(We have never eaten here)

Plaza Restuarant 8:10
I picked a later time since the big fireworks show will be at 6:30 and again at midnight. I figured we can catch either of the fireworks this way or BOTH and have a nice summer meal.

Dec 31 - No ADRs (Not sure what park since we will only go for the morning and part of the afternoon before heading to Tampa Ybor City for the Outback Bowl parade. When we return, I hope to catch the New Year's Eve fireworks show from GF or the Poly.

January 1 - New Year's Day - Hollywood Studios

Sci Fi lunch - 12:25

Planet Hollywood - 7: pm
( Again, a new place for us. I picked this place because my daughter's band will be having dinner here at the same time. I figure we can meet up. This will be the only time that my daughter will actually be at WDW during her trip. They are having dinner and just hanging out at Disney Springs for the night. The band will be going to Universal on the 2nd instead of a Disney park. :(

Other than those ADRs I plan to use counter service. Though I am concerned about the crowds and not having at least one ADR on January 2nd. But I still haven't figured out what park will be going to that day either. I could change my plans and go to Hollywood Studios on the second instead of the first and then go to AK instead. Pandora was not open when I was there last so it will something new as well.

Chapter 3 - STRESSED OUT ABOUT PLANNING WITH STAR WARS GALAXY EDGE OPENING

The chapter titile in all capital letters says it all right now. I am planning my first trip back in five years and it is over the New Year's holiday. I did not pick the week but I will be there December 30 - January 3rd. I was already worried about the huge crowds just because it is New Year's and I knew Stars Wars was opening in Auguest. I was just hoping to get a look at the new area, but now that the big Star Wars ride is opening earlier in December, I just do not see that I have a chance at getting to ride it or even get into the area with out waiting half a day in a line. I really hope they create a virtual queue for the area/ride.

The Rise of the Resistance ride looks like it will be amazing. I grew up watching the original Star Wars movies and have seen a few of the recent ones. My son has seen some of them too. We like the series but are not huge fans. But I would love to experience the area while we are there. Especially since I do not know when I will be going back to WDW - certainly not for several years.

At this point, I am trying to keep it all in perspective. And keep Walt's own words in my head ...

Popping over to say hi! I'll be interested to see how your plans pan out with the crowds. I know as a teacher you are limited with the times you can get break, but that week would be one of the last times I personally would want to go, but I guess if you have the proper mindset all will be good!

Popping over to say hi! I'll be interested to see how your plans pan out with the crowds. I know as a teacher you are limited with the times you can get break, but that week would be one of the last times I personally would want to go, but I guess if you have the proper mindset all will be good!

Thanks for joining in and for the positive outlook. I just wish my daughter's band director had picked a different week for the marching band trip but at least it gave me a valid reason for booking a trip to WDW! And for that I am ever so grateful! I will just need to keep reminding myself and telling myself to stay positive when I am actually there and surrounded by huge crowds.

Chapter 4 - "It ain't good unless it has an umbrelly in it!"

Thanks, AliceFan for the title! This month, I started a thread in the Disney Restaurants section asking people on the DIS their favorite lounges and drinks at Walt Disney World. https://www.disboards.com/threads/favorite-lounges-cocktails-on-property.3759929/#post-60858928

The quote comes from AliceFan’s comment. At the time I thought it would make a great title for my follow-up trip report and asked AliceFan if I could use it. Her reply and I quote, “I would be honored! lol!”. So, I decided to make a chapter here on my list of places and drinks to try while I am at Disney.

Right now, I will be paying out of pocket so I do not have to limit the list to ones on the Dining Plan. It would be great if you could list the the name of the place and what location it is in. I am looking primarily for suggestions for cocktails - I like ones that are fruity with either rum or vodka. 🍹 I cannot drink beer/ales due to a food allergy.

Thanks to my fellow DISer’s who contributed to my original thread and shared their favorites. I will have to narrow down the places to try due to the short time I will be at Disney, but here are the places and drinks I want to try.

1. Nomad Lounge - AK - Several peole said this is their favorite place. I have been looking at the menu and thinking about trying the Leaping Lizard (Central and South America; Malibu pineapple rum and Augusta cachaca with orange, passion fruit, and mango juices).

2. Yak and Yeti - AK - I have yet to eat here and these three drinks sound delish!
Yak Attack - mango daiquiri, Don Q Cristal rum & wild berry flavors$9.99
Big BambooParrot Bay Coconut Rum, Don Q Cristal Rum, Banana Liqueur & Tropical Fruit Juices$9.99
Tropical DaiquiriDon Q Cristal rum with choice of strawberry, pina colada, wild berry or mango flavors$9.99
As for food here - I want to try the Korean Beef and I think my son will probably enjoy the Kobe Beef Burger.

3. Geyser Point - Wilderness Lodge - I have wanted to visit the lodge for a long time now, and with so many people suggesting this place, I now have another reason to go. I just don't know with my short time there and travel time if I will be able to make it a reality on this trip.

4. Lapu Lapu at the Tambu Lounge at The Polynesian (I think this is the same lounge and drink that I had way back in '93. If it is, it was great then and definitely deserves a repeat!

5. Jock Lindsey's - Disney Springs The two drinks I am thinking about trying are:
$12.50
Cool-headed Monkey ,Starr African Rum, Van Der Hum Tangerine Liqueur, fresh Lime Juice, Watermelon, and Pineapple Juice Mug is additional $15 if you wish to purchase$12.50
Reggie's Revenge ,Florida Cane Orange Vodka, Midori Melon Liqueur, White Cranberry Juice, and fresh Lime Juice; mug is additional $8 if you wish to purchase$12.50

Chapter 5 - The ADR Switcharoo Begins!

I know I am not alone in rehashing and rethinking all my plans. :poop: With the trip this far out, five months out, it is only guessing at this level what the crowd levels will be like and what park we will hit on what day. But, I have already made my first switch in ADRs that I made just about two weeks ago.

With my concerns about December 30th being super crowded in MK, I made two table service ADRs so we could be guaranteed a place to sit down twice a day to eat. I had originally made a 12:10 reservation for Tony's since we had never been there before. But after looking through the menu several times,:surfweb: I just do not think the price would be worth it for basically a plate of spaghetti for my son and I. He is not to fond of spaghetti anyway, so I decided to switch it out. 🤓

I now have a noon reservation at Liberty Tree Tavern. We have eaten here before and I know my son will love the Bacon Cheddar Cheeseburger that comes with fries for 20.00 And I will probably have the Colony Salad for 18.00. It is described as grilled chicken, Washington apples, sweet pecans, applewood-smoked cheddar, and dried cranberries, tossed with field greens in honey-shallot vinaigrette.

If anyone has had it, let me know what you thought of it. I will probably ask for the dressing on the side.

Right now, I have kept my evening ADR for the same day, Dec. 30 at the Plaza Restaurant for 8:10. I figure it will be after the first fireworks show and before the second showing. We will need some food to keep us going and will probably appreciate having a chance to sit down out of the crowds for a bit. If I knew we could find a seat at a Pecos Bills and not have to wait FOREVER in line, I would drop the Plaza to save money. Decisions, decisions!

BIG CHANGES! The band trip was cancelled due to lack of students. So, now I am working on a summer trip plan. It will most likely be to Universal instead of Disney - UGG! But my dear daughter is a huge HP fan and has never been to Universal and the band was suppose to go there. So, since she is not getting to go with her band and she did not go on the band trip her Freshman year, I want to plan a trip there.

BUT -- I am going to be in Orlando in early October and I cannot imagine not going to WDW, so I am going to get a quick Disney fix (two nights/two days). So, I will get to go and enjoy it on my own.

I had to cancel my October trip. My mother was in the hospital. So, now I am revising my trip plans once again. I am rescheduling my trip for June 2020. Right now, I am planning a trip with my kids. My son might not be able to join us if he cannot get off work. My hubby will not be going since it will be hard for him to get off and he is not much of a Disney fan. So, he plans to take off later in the summer for a family trip elsewhere with us.

“All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.” I had NO IDEA when I first started this pre-trip report how fitting this quote from Walt was! If you have read through all the report, you will know that this trip started out with it being over New Year's 2020 with my son and then switched to a solo October trip and now that that was cancelled it is now back to a trip with my kids, tentatively planning for early summer 2020. I have been dreaming of my next trip to WDW since I last set foot there in February 2014, FIVE YEARS AGO!

I am definitely pursuing this dream and hope to make it a reality for this summer.

I am looking at the week of June 8-12 right now. I have been early summer and around July 4th before and I prefer early summer since there is a better chance that the crowds might be a bit more managable if I go before all the schools in US are out for summer and the weather might be a bit nicer with less humidity than later in the summer.

I am considering a stay in one of the value resorts for the first time - probably All-Star Sports since that theme really appealed to my son. I plan to book a room only for now, in case I have to change my plans again! I can always convert it over to a package closer to the date of my actual trip and before my FastPass window opens.

I would love to get a discount and there has been typically in the past for this time period, so I can dream I will be pixie dusted with one this year!

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...-inside-remys-ratatouille-adventure-at-epcot/Remy ride opens Summer 2020!

I am super excited! The Remy ride will open in EPCOT in Summer 2020! This is my daughter's favorite movie and so it will be so much fun to surprise her with the ability to go on the ride when we are there. Right now, I am book for the week of June 8-12. So, if the ride is delayed, I will move my trip.
When she was little, I bought her the Remy playset for Christmas. It had the little figurines. And now I just came upon a new lego set that is right now just a proposed set. If they get enough votes it might go into production! If so, I know what I will be buying my daughter for her birthday or Christmas in the future!!!!
Lego Remy's Restaurant

We are booked for June 7-12, 2020! WOO HOO! We will be staying at CSR unless discounts come out and I have to switch to get a better rate. I started off by first keeping us at All-Star Sports but the more I thought about summer crowds and the possibility that my son might not even be joining us, I decided to switch to a moderate. CSR was the cheapest mod and we have been there before and enjoyed it, so I booked it. In a standard view to save cost.

As I am planning this trip, it gives me the chance to reminisce about our previous trips. Excuse me a moment while I look back. Below is my favorite photo of my two kids from their first visit to WDW. Haley was two and a half and Jacob was 8 in May 2005. I just wish Minnie's house was still at MK so I could replicate the same photo 15 years later!

MK Minnie's Fireplace.JPG

And here is a photo of Haley with her first experience with Mickey. She was a bit reluctant and worried he was going to take her Teletubbies she was holding. He was just trying to engage her and asked to see them.
Haley first Visit with Micky 2005.JPG

Right now if we paid out of pocket for food, I am estimating about 120.00 a day for two quick service meals and snacks for three people based on actual prices from the menus on what we would probably pick to eat.

I currently have two table service meals that I have reserved but might drop. These would obviously add more to the cost for those two days. So my total estimated cost for the three of us for five days would be 800.00.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!