“After 2 New Years Eve's..We still haven't learned our Lesson” Pre Trip update10/16

CharacterFan

Will stop in walkways for characters
Lesson 1: Who we are:

Me: :figment: 22- Been to Disney 22 times. Only 7 times before I was 18. I'm a fan of all characters. I prefer meeting the classics and well all the ones that don't talk. I'm not a huge fan of princesses but feel that I should meet them at least once on a trip. My favorite character is Goofy :goofy: and ride is Peter Pan's Flight.

BF: pirate: 23- Been to Disney 8 times. Once before he was 18. He enjoys all the rides, shows, and music. His favorite ride is Pirates of the Caribbean. He's into the firework shows. I think it would be a toss up between Fantasmic and Wishes for his favorite. His favorite characters are ::MinnieMo and :smickey:

Us: We've been together 4 years. Been to Disney together 7 times. Our first trip 4 years ago was 3 days of parks Dec 30-Jan 1. We saw all 4 parks in 3 days.

Up next Lesson 2: How this trip came to be.

Lesson 2: How we decided on New Years Eve...again.

Three years ago we only planned on going once a year. If that often. Having gone once a year in December as a teen I enjoyed spending that part of the year at Disney. Our first trip was booked and planed in 2 weeks. We didn't do any Table Service, even having been 7 times before I had never done one and had no idea what they were.

In, April of 2006 my dad got an email about free dining. He asked me if I wanted to go. Of course. My first taste of true Disney dining. I ate at all those places that were reviewed highly on Disboards and from friends. After returning from celebrating my 20th birthday at Disney. I was itching to go back. Shortly there after BF and I booked another New Years Eve. This time we tried a few TS.

2007- Was a dream year. Spirit Air was flying ATL to MCO. For cheap. Having an AP almost every time I got an email that offered $1 airfare each way. I'd hop down for a night or two. BF and I had planned to visit in March. We then added a trip in June (thanks to airfare). We had planned on going for NYE again, but our friends talked about wanting to go. So we moved our plans and decided to go in Mid-December with a dining package. We loved it. Yet that NYE I was sad. I missed the excitement of Disney on NYE. It was that night I decided we were going back next year.

2008- We decided to take our trip in May instead of March this year. We enjoyed it, but it was a bit too warm. My dad and I were again visiting WDW for Free Dining, yet this year we decided to upgrade to DxDP.

In June, when we talked about booking our NYE trip. We talked about making it a dream trip. We originally booked POFQ and DxDP. A few weeks later and thoughts we downgraded to our favorite Pop Century. We were happy. While someday we'll try another resort. We love Pop.

Up next: Lesson 3: Full package Details

Lesson 3: Our Disney Package

Our Dates: December 28, 2008-January 4, 2009
Resort: Pop Century-Preferred (this is a “splurge” normally just to standard)
Dining: Deluxe Dining Plan. (Knowing the parks are going to be open late we know we're going to need food and lots of it)
Total for the package: $1928
There are no tickets with our package as I'm an AP holder. We're going to be buying BF an AP on this trip.

We had originally planned on arriving on 12/29, but Marlie Matlin was doing Candlelight Processional that week. We decided to arrive a day earlier so the 29th we could go see her. After she moved weeks we thought about moving our plans, but that would mean some scheduling changes that we didn't want to do. We'd just plan on arriving later in the day. Instead of arriving in Orlando around 8am we'd get there around noon. We're going to be driving.

Up next Lesson 4: ADRs and other Dining Plans/Ideas

Lesson 4: ADRs

Lesson 4: ADRs and other Dining Ideas.
I called at 180+10 days to make most of my reservations for this trip. Some were hard to get like Chick-fil-a others easier like The Plaza. We made a few changes of the following weeks, but as of September 20th this was our schedule and we're sticking to it...other then trying to get Le Cellier for an earlier time.

December 28:
B: Chick-fil-a (on the road to disney)
L: Casey's (OOP)
D: The Plaza (2 credits)
December 29:
B:Sunshine Seasons (1 credit)
L:Coral Reef (2 credits)
D:Teppan Edo (2 credits)
December 30:
B: Crystal Palace (2 credits)
L: Peco Bills (2 credits)
D: Liberty Tree (2 credits)
December 31:
B: Hollywood & Vine (2 credits)
L: Pizza Planet (1 or 2 credits)
D: Mama Melrose (2 credits)
January 1:
B: Snack of Frozen Lemonaide and a pretzel (2 snacks) (our new years breakfast)
L: Yak & Yeti (2 credits)
D: Garden Grill (2 credits)
January 2:
B:Bagels or Snack Credits
L: Le Cellier (2 credits)
D: Ohanas (2 credits)
January 3:
B: Donald Safari Breakfast (2 credits)
L: Sci-Fi (2 credits)
D: Crystal Palace (2 credits)
January 4:
B: Chef Mickey's (2 credits)
L: Wolfgang Puck Express (2 credits)
D: Fast Food (OOP) (on the road)

Up next Lesson 5: Schedules, when are we eating

:surfweb: Hello to you, Character Lover! I feel we may be kindred spirits because I love the characters so much myself. My favorites are Goofy, Pluto, Tinker Bell, and Stitch, with a little bit of Donald and Daisy thrown in. I have really enjoyed reading your letters. We(my daughter, son-in-law, their 5, another daughter's daughter- count 'em - 6 kids !:eek: all 9 yrs and under)my precious grandchildren! plus me, a 61 yr. YOUNG mawmaw, just got back from a week at WDW. We all had a wonderful time. It was my 5th trip, but my first time at AK and EPCOT,which, by the way, I loved, but it was her..um I think 8th or 9th:confused3 (10th?) time. She used a travel agent for the first time, some one that specialized with Disney trips, got the free dining plan,which I think was genius on her part. We stayed 2 nights at the Yacht Club, then 4 nights at All Star Sports. The reason for that was because some one messed up with the fact we needed connecting rooms. They bent over backwards to rearrange every thing at no extra charge to make things right for us. You can connect with us at Grizwalds Do Disney or something like that and I am Maw Maw to the .....Hope you have a fabulous trip this year:cheer2: . I'm looking forward to our next trip, whenever that might be, like a few months from now:hourglass . Keep in touch. Gotta go for now:wave: Bye.

Hi I am finally here. You hav ebeen to disney so much :scared1:
Wow lucky girl!

:surfweb: Hello to you, Character Lover! I feel we may be kindred spirits because I love the characters so much myself. My favorites are Goofy, Pluto, Tinker Bell, and Stitch, with a little bit of Donald and Daisy thrown in. I have really enjoyed reading your letters. We(my daughter, son-in-law, their 5, another daughter's daughter- count 'em - 6 kids !:eek: all 9 yrs and under)my precious grandchildren! plus me, a 61 yr. YOUNG mawmaw, just got back from a week at WDW. We all had a wonderful time. It was my 5th trip, but my first time at AK and EPCOT,which, by the way, I loved, but it was her..um I think 8th or 9th:confused3 (10th?) time. She used a travel agent for the first time, some one that specialized with Disney trips, got the free dining plan,which I think was genius on her part. We stayed 2 nights at the Yacht Club, then 4 nights at All Star Sports. The reason for that was because some one messed up with the fact we needed connecting rooms. They bent over backwards to rearrange every thing at no extra charge to make things right for us. You can connect with us at Grizwalds Do Disney or something like that and I am Maw Maw to the .....Hope you have a fabulous trip this year:cheer2: . I'm looking forward to our next trip, whenever that might be, like a few months from now:hourglass . Keep in touch. Gotta go for now:wave: Bye.
I'm glad you enjoyed your trip.

I am reading.......popcorn::
I have always wanted to go to WDW on NYE
Thanks for reading

Hi I am finally here. You hav ebeen to disney so much :scared1:
Wow lucky girl!

I consider myself lucky that I've gotten to go so much. I'm thankful to have a father who understands my love for the mouse.

Lesson 5a: Plans (Dec 28-Dec 31)

12/28
Arrive in Orlando around noon, if not earlier
Magic Kingdom
Lunch at Casey's (out of pocket)
PotC, JC, and see some Christmas Shows
Dinner @ 6:30p The Plaza (maybe oop, haven't decided)
Spectromagic and HolidayWishes
EMH
see Mickey and Minnie in Fantasyland
Head back to resort and get some sleep

12/29
Epcot
Soarin, Test Track, other FW
Lunch @ 12:45p Coral Reef
World Showcase
see Santas, explore
Dinner @ 8:30p Teppan Edo
Illuminations
EMH
see Mickey, ride TT
Head back to resort

12/30
Be at Magic Kingdom for Opening(7am)
Fantasyland Rides
Breakfast @ 9:25a Crystal Palace
Potc, JC, BTTMR,
12:30p Christmas Parade
Lunch @ Peco Bills
hang around MK
Holiday Wishes
Dinner @ 9:05p LTT
Fantasy in the Sky
EMH
see Mickey and Minnie, ride PPF
do other stuff until 4am..really 2:30a, but BF can dream)

12/31
Hollywood Studios
Toy Story Mania
Breakfast @ 11:00a Hollywood & Vine
Star Tours
Lunch @ Pizza Planet
Line up at 4p for Fantasmic
See 6:30p Fantasmic
Dinner @ 8:30p Mama Melrose
"Lights! Action! Happy New Year!"
EMH
No ideas
back to resort for sleep

Rest of the plans a little later.

Hi there! Your post caught my eye because we are going the same week and so far have almost the same schedule! We arrive on Dec. 28th but instead of going to the parks, I want to go to the resorts to enjoy the christmas decorations that I always see on the Travel Channel. Then Hoop Dee Doo.
Monday - EPCOT as well. Tues - AK, Wed - Hollywood Studios for NYE.
I won't list out my entire trip as this is YOUR thread but it's so cool to see someone on the same wavelength! :surfweb:

We might sit out front of DHS to see the fireworks from there. I was told by the CM from WDW travel that is a good place just to see them.Then hop on the bus right away to the resort. Since we dont arrive till 12pm on NYE day, I figure to not even try and get into a park. We are goign to resort hop and see all the christmas decorations and do DTD. Here is to our trips comign real soon!:banana:

Deluxe Dining...I'm so jealous!

I was scared about extending our trip two days earlier into Jan 2 and 3; I could never brave New Year's Eve! I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of your plans

Hi there! Your post caught my eye because we are going the same week and so far have almost the same schedule! We arrive on Dec. 28th but instead of going to the parks, I want to go to the resorts to enjoy the christmas decorations that I always see on the Travel Channel. Then Hoop Dee Doo.
Monday - EPCOT as well. Tues - AK, Wed - Hollywood Studios for NYE.
I won't list out my entire trip as this is YOUR thread but it's so cool to see someone on the same wavelength! :surfweb:

That's cool. This is the first year we're doing 1 park for the whole day, and it's the first year that we were planning a trip more then 180 days out so I was able to call and get all the adrs we wanted. I hope you enjoy your trip, as well.

We might sit out front of DHS to see the fireworks from there. I was told by the CM from WDW travel that is a good place just to see them.Then hop on the bus right away to the resort. Since we dont arrive till 12pm on NYE day, I figure to not even try and get into a park. We are goign to resort hop and see all the christmas decorations and do DTD. Here is to our trips comign real soon!:banana:

A couple years ago we park hopped on NYE we left Epcot around 8pm and was able to get straight into MGM. With the economy this year, I would say you have a pretty good chance at getting into DHS that day if you want. Also, if you can't early in the afternoon, people do leave early, and they'll reopen the park later in the evening.

Deluxe Dining...I'm so jealous!

I was scared about extending our trip two days earlier into Jan 2 and 3; I could never brave New Year's Eve! I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of your plans

Thanks. Jan 2 and 3rd are a lot calmer then earlier in the week. It may still be somewhat busy since it's the end of the week this year. I hope you enjoy your trip and thanks for reading.

Lesson 5B: The rest of our plans Jan 1-4

1/1
Animal Kingdom (close to opening, an annual tradition for us)
Safari, Nemo, Dinosaur
Lunch @11:30a Yak and Yeti
Free Time, probably MK
Epcot
Dinner @ 7:30p Garden Grill
EMH
Test Track

1/2
Hollywood Studios
TSM, Star Tours, see Mickey
Epcot
Test Track, Mission Space, see Mickey
Lunch @ 1:45p Le Cellier
Magic Kingdom
PotC, Snow White, see Mickey
Animal Kingdom
See Mickey and Minnie during EMH
Dinner @ 9:25p Ohanas

1/3
Animal Kingdom
Breakfast @ 8:10a Tusker House
Hollywood Studios
TSM
Lunch @ 1:30p Sci-Fi
Block Party Bash? (BF says he doesn't like it)
Magic Kingdom
PotC, PPF, TTA
Dinner @ 7:40p Crystal Palace
Wishes
Call it a night.

1/4
Breakfast @ 8:30a Chef Mickey's
Magic Kingdom
Hit our must do's one last time
BF-PotC and JC
me-PPF and Meeting Pooh and Friends or Hook
DtD
Lunch @ Wolfgang Puck Express
Use last of snack credits at Goofy's
Head home around 4pm.

Up next: Full Dining Plans

A couple years ago we park hopped on NYE we left Epcot around 8pm and was able to get straight into MGM. With the economy this year, I would say you have a pretty good chance at getting into DHS that day if you want. Also, if you can't early in the afternoon, people do leave early, and they'll reopen the park later in the evening.

Thanks for letting me know this! :thumbsup2

I usually park hop but I'm afraid to since that week is so busy. I'm hoping the economy works in our favor though and it's not QUITE as bad. LOL The 45 day mark is tomorrow, as well as my final payment being due, so it's now or never! I will try calling more to try to change an ADR just in case people bail this week on their trips.

Another NYE attendee here - only we're planning on being at Epcot, but may sneak over to DHS in the wee hours of NYD for their EMH, rather than waiting ages for a bus back to the resort. Also, given your NYE expereience - what should we be prepared for?? I'm just hoping that we'll be able to find a place to sit down and relax during the day (hopefully in one of the WS gardens, on the grass, and maybe take a little nap to recharge the batteries?)

I like the way you've laid out your pre-trippie too - makes for interesting reading. Cheers.

Another NYE attendee here - only we're planning on being at Epcot, but may sneak over to DHS in the wee hours of NYD for their EMH, rather than waiting ages for a bus back to the resort. Also, given your NYE expereience - what should we be prepared for?? I'm just hoping that we'll be able to find a place to sit down and relax during the day (hopefully in one of the WS gardens, on the grass, and maybe take a little nap to recharge the batteries?)

I like the way you've laid out your pre-trippie too - makes for interesting reading. Cheers.

At Epcot, be prepared to be around drunks. People start drinking as soon as WS opens and they stop at around 12:30am. They give out free hats and noise makers (which people like to use). It will be crowded in WS, but you should be able to find a place to sit here or there. I hope you have fun.

Hmmmm - if there seems to be too many 'out of hand & under the weather', do you think we'd be able to get into DHS later in the day? Is there any hope of park hopping between DHS and Epcot NYE? (I've written off going to MK - I think that'll just be toooooo crowded, and we're sort of tied to our ADR's in Epcot.)

Sorry 'bout turning your pre-trippie into a Q&A session but it's great to get some info from some-one who's actually done NYE in WDW. THANKS!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter