Zebra Domes?

rndmr2

DIS Veteran
Wondering just what exactly is a Zebra dome, I have seen reports from AKL and lots of people talk about them, just curious as to what is in them.

They are little half spheres of mocha mousse. I think they have alcohol in them. I did not care for them because of the coffee flavor.

They are sort of like a lighter version of a delicious chocolate truffle. Chocolate inside is mousse like and it is dipped in chocolate coating (like a cherry cordial or truffle) and white chocolate striping is piped onto the outside to give them that zebra like look. Very delicious and worth the trip to Boma buffet restaurant at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

I personally love them. You don't need to go to Boma, they sell them at Mara for less than 4.00. They also count as a snack credit on ddp.

I have heard somewhere that they are no longer flavored with coffee liqueur, so they don't have alcohol in them any longer, but I can't recall where I heard that.

I don't like the coffee flavor either.

I have heard somewhere that they are no longer flavored with coffee liqueur, so they don't have alcohol in them any longer, but I can't recall where I heard that.

I don't like the coffee flavor either.

When we were at Boma in mid-January, they had a little sign next to them saying they contain alcohol. If they've changed, it's been since then.

I liked them. The inside was fluffy and light, with chocolate on the outside. Yum! I'm not a coffee drinker, but the coffee flavor didn't bother me at all.

I am a chocolate lover and was looking forward to trying them when we went to Boma two years ago. I was disappointed because really didn't taste very chocolatey.

IMHO, they are okay but nothing special. There are quite a few desserts at Boma that I prefer.

I have tried them time and time again.. hoping to see what everyone raves about.. and I have yet to see it. I do not like coffee at all so maybe thats why?
A few years ago we stayed at AKL and I got a pack at Mara and put them in my fridge and they were better super cold... but still just so so.
I think its like the dole whip... some adore it.. some just don't get it. I am in the adore group BTW.

Zebra domes rock. Hubby told me last night that even if the rest of the buffet at Bomas sucked, he did not care because he was eating his worth in Zebra Domes. When I take friends around the world for what I call my Dessert tour we always go by Mara to pick up a few boxes of the domes.

Yuck i hate coffe flavoured things! But as it is disney i am willing to test these out lol x

Whoa! I had no idea these were coffee flavored! I HATE coffee, but LOVED the domes. :confused3

I liked that they were light and airy with layers of different flavors and textures. They are so visually appealing too! I love chocolate and get my fix for that in other ways.

In my opinion, zebra dome = one of better desserts at Boma, but definitely not the best. The Boma tiramisu was great!

I'm in the not-impressed camp...thought the coating was waxy & tasteless. Did not like the mousse, but then even though I love coffee, I'm just not a kahlua fan.

When we ate there, which is well over a year ago, they had two versions sitting out - one side said "contains alcohol" and the other said "alcohol free". Didn't like the taste of either. We preferred the bread pudding with the vanilla sauce (which also said "contains alcohol"...but it wasn't kahlua - think it was rum.)

The first time that I had a Zebra Dome I was completely out of the loop...meaning I did not know they they had such a loyal following. All I know is that I adored them. I'm also a Tiramasu lover. Z.D. remind me of this dessert...they have a distinct coffee/alcohol flavor. :wizard:

We loved them. Over our week we must have gotten 4 or 5 of the packs from Mara. We'd eat them, get sick of them, then the next day want more.

They're bite size and not too expensive, so if you stop at Mara (or eat at Boma), pick some up and try them for yourself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter