Youth Menu at the Be Our Guest

I know that my toddler-aged child is in the minority when I say that she eats broccoli and string beans by choice. :littleangel:

Her favorite meals at Disney have been at the Signature restaurants that offer her food that is not breaded or fried. And she certainly prefers steak to meatloaf. princess:

I guess my family is OK with menu options that are healthier than the typical pizza, mac-n-cheese, and chicken nugget selections. :confused3

But let me also tell you, she gets more than her fair share of 'junk food' when visiting Disney. :flower3:

Be Our Guest is no different - cupcakes and cream puffs will be everywhere. :cheer2:

And the problem is...?

Sorry, but I'm not seeing the issue here.

I weep for humanity if grilled steak, carved chicken sandwich and pulled pork on a children's menu are considered bad things.

I agree. ALL FOOD has potential to be kid friendly if the adults who are in their world treat it as such. I don't understand the phenomena of "kid food".

Speaking only for my child, the first time we tried the dining plan, she was considered a child and disliked it immensely. We were relieved the next time when she could order what she wanted. Lesson learned.

I think the kids' BOG menu is a leap in the right direction, but I think most kids will need a step in the right direction... They need something between here and there...
Meatloaf made with veggies and bulgar? Great! DD10 was actually thrilled with this option!
But turkey meatloaf?? She will cringe the minute she reads "turkey" and I guarantee she won't even try it.
She also loves pulled pork but I agree that photo looks very unappetizing!
Carrot ketchup? Why not homemade tomato ketchup made more healthy?
Multigrain pasta? We eat it but many won't.
I think Disney could have found a middle ground here.
I hope Disney does customer feedback like they did at Art of Animation's food court.
We look forward to dining at BOG in January but I have a feeling DD won't be loving the meal choices.... And she us a pretty good veggie/healthy option kind of eater. Time will tell with reviews. I can't wait to read about them!

I will say that I am sure they could have done a better job with making the food look better in the pictures (using a food stylist who would have made the food appear moist and a bit more fresh). However, I find absolutely nothing wrong with the menu at all. My son would for sure eat meatloaf, grilled chicken breast, or the steak. He would not eat the pork. If the mahi mahi were salmon that would be his first choice.

I wish my kids would eat that stuff. It does look like they'd at least be able to get plain pasta and grilled cheese easy enough.

I'm going to beg all of you parents who--like me!--are big fans of the BOG kids menu to please, please vote with your wallets and eat here often! We go to Disney infrequently, but I know some of you are at least annual visitors. Let's let Disney know how much we enjoy the opportunity for our kids to eat good food...and that we are willing to pay for it! Otherwise, it's back to hot dogs and cardboard pizza...(which, by the way, are available at EVERY OTHER RESTAURANT for those who don't like this menu...).

Positive comments at Guest Relations and even on the Disney Parks blog will help, too!

Also, someone should have told the "food stylist" at the photo shoot that they should make the menu items look more like "Disney fun" and not like skimpy "nouvelle cuisine."
That's kind of a subjective thing, though, isn't it? For the people who have been wanting more sophisticated menu items for their kids, I imagine this fits the bill quite well. I thought the photos were great -- except for the Mickey-shaped meat loaf, which looked pretty dry and unappetizing. But really ... not everything has to sparkle and be candy-colored to appeal to kids.

:earsboy:

This begs the question, who will REALLY have the problem with the menu? The child who isn't really old enough to know better or the parent who decides that the menu doesn't look good for their child?

Every child I know eats what is put in front of them, the only time a problem arises if when a parent or accompanying adult creates a fuss.

I'm overjoyed WDW is taking steps to combat the 'nuggets' and 'burgers' habit that many children have by offering new and exciting food. I personally would be loving the food if I was back to my childhood days.

While I support the new menu, and the expanded options, and I think picky eaters should not be indulged (unless they have a medical reason for being picky), I have to say your statement is simply not true.

I have two children. One was picky, the other would eat anything put in front of him. No one made a fuss. No one groomed the one child to be picky. She'd simply rather go hungry than eat something she didn't like. And believe me, she'd let herself get so hungry, she'd end up with a tummy ache (even barfing!) at her next meal. So she'd eat less. And so on...

We simply focussed on teaching her good manners (try a bite of everything, say "no thank you", excuse yourself politely, and go to the kitchen to make a peanut butter sandwich). Sometimes at fancy meals, she'd cry if she couldn't find anything she considered edible. She hated to feel left out of the meal.

We reassured her she'd outgrow picky eating. And you know what? She did! She was nine, and coincidentally happened to be vacationing at Disney for the first time, when she finally ate a whole hotdog - and liked it! Yeah, it's junk food, but it was a huge step past chicken breast and white rice, so we celebrated the occasion anyway. I bet the BOG would have been a huge help. Anyway, now she's 16, and will eat practically anything I make. Even chili! Sometimes. :thumbsup2

I don't see a problem with the menu at all. That's the types of foods I grew up with as a child. What do people feed their kids at home if there is a big commotion over this menu? I think the typical kids menus at many WDW restaurants are just sad. Kids shouldn't be eating hotdogs, chicken nuggets, or pb& j at every meal.

I think the photographer did a really bad job here. All of the meats, chicken and fish look overcooked and dry, not succulent or inviting. Honestly the meals look very unappetizing and this comes from someone who loves veggies. Overcooked fish or chicken is like rubber. These photos made the meat look rubbery. Perhaps when it opens the meals will look less 'ancient'. Sitting under a heat lamp does this ya know.
As an adult I am personally disappointed that the dessert options for adults are limited to a choice of cupcake (I hate cupcakes) or a cream puff! Really, french cuisine couldn't stretch to a macaroon,crepe or a profiterole! At the price charged I think dessert could have been made more creative. As always people can vote with their pocket books and I intend to. If I want good french cuisine it won't be at BOG. I can go through during the day to see the decor. :coffee:

Magpie said:
While I support the new menu, and the expanded options, and I think picky eaters should not be indulged (unless they have a medical reason for being picky), I have to say your statement is simply not true.

I have two children. One was picky, the other would eat anything put in front of him. No one made a fuss. No one groomed the one child to be picky. She'd simply rather go hungry than eat something she didn't like. And believe me, she'd let herself get so hungry, she'd end up with a tummy ache (even barfing!) at her next meal. So she'd eat less. And so on...

We simply focussed on teaching her good manners (try a bite of everything, say "no thank you", excuse yourself politely, and go to the kitchen to make a peanut butter sandwich). Sometimes at fancy meals, she'd cry if she couldn't find anything she considered edible. She hated to feel left out of the meal.

We reassured her she'd outgrow picky eating. And you know what? She did! She was nine, and coincidentally happened to be vacationing at Disney for the first time, when she finally ate a whole hotdog - and liked it! Yeah, it's junk food, but it was a huge step past chicken breast and white rice, so we celebrated the occasion anyway. I bet the BOG would have been a huge help. Anyway, now she's 16, and will eat practically anything I make. Even chili! Sometimes. :thumbsup2

I think that's wonderful that she's grown out of the pickyness and you sound like you were very supportive about it when she was younger, without caving to it.

Its been my experience that not all parents are as supportive as you, they pander to their child's cries of wanting a different dinner ad refusing to eat certain things. Menus like this in WDW might encourage children who are naturally picky to try something new, surely if its in WDW it's gonna be good in a child's eyes?!? Lol. I just hope that parents see past the change and embrace the dining experience their children can now enjoy.

We are so happy with these menu improvements DS 8 has real difficulties with the menus! At home he eats what we eat and in most cases he is more adventurous than me! He like salad, veggies, curries and fish, not chicken nuggets and fries, last year he started to like burgers but only once in a while (his choice). We love taking him to Narcoosee, Citricos and Califoria Grill I think he has eaten in every signature Restaurant. In the few that have had unfavourable menus he has had something from the main menu in a smaller portion. We hope it continues. TTFN Jo

Every day I read complaints that there is not enough variety for kids at WDW. Now let's hear the complaints that there are no chicken nuggets.

:thumbsup2 You are so right! Reading some of these comments from adults, mind you, makes me realize why there are so many children that are picky eaters. I don't know whether to laugh or be sick. I grew up eating these type foods (no pulling out the P & J sandwiches) and loving them, so did our children and grandchildren - no picky eaters allowed in our family.

I've already seen threads bemoaning the lack of nuggets, mac & cheese, etc. at BOG, just like the threads bemoaning the lack of more variety/adventurous foods for the kiddie menu.

Just can't please the masses :confused3

Are people seriously complaining about the lack of processed food?
I'm sorry, I just don't get it. It's so rare to get anything else than nuggets, pastas and grilled cheese in kids menues, this will be a welcomed change.

I think that's wonderful that she's grown out of the pickyness and you sound like you were very supportive about it when she was younger, without caving to it.

Its been my experience that not all parents are as supportive as you, they pander to their child's cries of wanting a different dinner ad refusing to eat certain things. Menus like this in WDW might encourage children who are naturally picky to try something new, surely if its in WDW it's gonna be good in a child's eyes?!? Lol. I just hope that parents see past the change and embrace the dining experience their children can now enjoy.

You're right - kids, even teens, will try almost anything if it's Disney.

In fact, you've just reminded me of the last time my daughter teared up over her dinner. We went to eat at the San Angel Inn in EPCOT last December and she was a bit nervous. But I said, "It's Disney! I'm sure it won't be spicy! It'll probably be like Taco Bell, or something."

Boy, was I wrong! :crazy2:

I actually felt bad about that one. I ended up trading her my dinner, which she found a little more edible. But I suspect it'll be a long time before she's willing to try eating authentic Mexican food again. (My son loved it, however.)

I honestly can't believe all of the fuss. For the longest time there were complaints that all kids could get were chicken nuggets, burgers, fries,etc. on kids meal choices and now Disney is trying to help offer additional food and people are up in arms???? I don't get it. My DS is the worlds pickiest eater, but at home he does not just eat junk like burgers and fries. To me this looks like offerings (besides maybe the fish) that you would serve at home. I for one am glad. Kids need to learn to eat healthy and if all they are presented with is greasy food, they will never learn to like broccoli or sweet potatoes. People need to chill out!

I think the photographer did a really bad job here. All of the meats, chicken and fish look overcooked and dry, not succulent or inviting. Honestly the meals look very unappetizing and this comes from someone who loves veggies. Overcooked fish or chicken is like rubber. These photos made the meat look rubbery. Perhaps when it opens the meals will look less 'ancient'. Sitting under a heat lamp does this ya know.
As an adult I am personally disappointed that the dessert options for adults are limited to a choice of cupcake (I hate cupcakes) or a cream puff! Really, french cuisine couldn't stretch to a macaroon,crepe or a profiterole! At the price charged I think dessert could have been made more creative. As always people can vote with their pocket books and I intend to. If I want good french cuisine it won't be at BOG. I can go through during the day to see the decor. :coffee:

Actually, you won't be able to "go through the door during the day to see the decor". Only diners will be able to get inside.

The menu sounds great to me, and being that a ressie was so hard to come by, there must be a lot of people that feel the same (or at least are willing to dine and see, then comment on the taste.) ::yes::

My mum made one meal for dinner and I was expected to eat it. She never made a separate meal just for me. We did have things like fish fingers but everyone ate them, not just me.

I wish CS kids meals could have been this good. I was not a picky eater as a child and would have been overjoyed to get grilled chicken or fish or steak instead of nuggets and mac & cheese. Here's what little me thought of the latter:

2ywfl29.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter