• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

You're crazy! No I'm Dopey! 2017 WDW Marathon Weekend PTR Updated 12/31

Even though I don't care much for the Vikes despite living in MN I still have to come by and say HA!!!

But don't worry, I'd be doing the same to the Vikes fans I know if the game went the other way.
Last nights game was frustrating as a packer fan...

BIG NEWS (for me at least) WE HAVE OUR FIRST LOOK AT THE MEDALS! Sorry I am excited. I get to earn 6 of these awesome medals.

rsz_screen_shot_2016-09-18_at_55730_pm.png

Okay lets start from the bottom and go up.

My sister Sydnee will earn the Kids race medal, last year it was steamboat willie Mickey.

I won't be going to the Castaway Cay challenge unfortunately...

5K medal- Love it! The new metal medals are awesome!

10K medal- Different and I like it. The previous ones all looked similar, so I am glad they changed it up.

Half medal- I don't know what to say. Its interesting. Its the 20th anniversary so the XX makes sense but I wish donald was featured a bit more.

Full medal- It looks like the old full medals back when the marathon started and I like that a lot.

Goofy medal- Different, but still good.

Dopey- The best medal of all

I can't wait to earn these!

I saw the medals on facebook earlier ... they're definitely very different than last year's!
I definitely agree with you on the half medal - it doesn't seem very "Donald." The Dopey is my favorite. Not sure how I feel about the rest of them.

I saw the medals on facebook earlier ... they're definitely very different than last year's!
I definitely agree with you on the half medal - it doesn't seem very "Donald." The Dopey is my favorite. Not sure how I feel about the rest of them.
The half I was looking forward to the most because it's the 20th anniversary and I guess I was expecting wow and instead I got o_O.

Dopey is great though!

Well we can get home...

We went ahead and booked return flights but not flight to Orlando yet. The return flights came down significantly so we had to jump on them. The flights to Orlando are still the same and we hope they come down a few more dollars. So the return looks like this,

Leave MCO at 4:30PM January 10th
Arrive at MKE at 6:30PM

We don't get back too late but we also don't leave Disney too early. I'm happy with that flight time. My sister will have to go back to school the next day (I won't!) but 6:30 should be okay for her.

I also ordered a new suitcase! With the Disney store friends and family discount a week or so ago I got a good deal on it. I didn't really need a new suitcase but this one is smaller and not as big as my other one so its nice to have the smaller one in case.

View attachment 184701

There isn't a whole lot to do except for book our arrival flight. I'm hoping for Rivers of light dining packages and Star Wars dessert parties for January. RoL is rumored for September, and the dessert party should be there in January but they have been slow to release those.

Following along! First, we'll see you on the flight home. :) We did the Star Wars dessert party in February and our boys loved it (our oldest is 17 and he said it's the best dessert party at Disney) so I hope that works out! Love that you're running with your sister - maybe check out the Winter Run Series at some point. I've run a 10K with our oldest (so he could get a good POT for the Glass Slipper Challenge) and several of the 5Ks with our youngest (just for fun!) As you can imagine, it's cold! But gets us outside during the winter!

Following along! First, we'll see you on the flight home. :) We did the Star Wars dessert party in February and our boys loved it (our oldest is 17 and he said it's the best dessert party at Disney) so I hope that works out! Love that you're running with your sister - maybe check out the Winter Run Series at some point. I've run a 10K with our oldest (so he could get a good POT for the Glass Slipper Challenge) and several of the 5Ks with our youngest (just for fun!) As you can imagine, it's cold! But gets us outside during the winter!
That's cool that we are on the same flight home! I'm patiently waiting for those Star Wars dessert party reservations to come out. I'll have to look into that. I've only done the one race with my sister and it was very hot. My sister will be doing the Mickey mile in January.

Weekly update #6

IMG_0255.JPG
(Not my photo and I don't remember where I got it)

Well another week gone. AND GUESS WHAT? WE ARE UNDER 100 DAYS! Sorry I'm excited if you can't tell. As I mentioned above in an earlier post medals were revealed and we got a closer up look thanks to people who ran the Disneyland Paris half this weeken. The DLP half is a dream race for me, the park just looks gorgeous and I heard the course was beautiful.

Anyways onto a running update for me. Monday, Wednesday, Friday were all 3.1ish miles. Saturday was 6.2 and it felt great. I wanted to go more but I had to work and get some school work done before hand so I was pressed for time since I slept in a little later than I wanted. Next weekend I hope to get that higher to make up for it.

My Badgers and Packers both won this weekend which was great but then sports fans also had a rough weekend. This morning it was announced Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez died in a boating accident, he was only 24 and had a whole life ahead of him. Vin Scully historic Dodgers radio announcer broadcasted his final dodgers game. What a legend. And finally Arnold Palmer legendary pro golfer died at 87.

In happier news I have my weekly countdown!

FP day in 37 days
WDW arrival in 98 days
WDW 5K in 101 days
WDW 10K in 102 days
WDW Half marathon in 103 days
WDW Full marathon in 104 days

Have a great week everyone!

Yay for being under 100 days, that's awesome!!!

Definitely a rough sports weekend (even rougher for me since the Jets decided to be terrible, as usual). But from what I heard the Marlins did a nice job paying tribute to Jose Fernandez at yesterday's game, which is pretty great.

Yay for being under 100 days, that's awesome!!!

Definitely a rough sports weekend (even rougher for me since the Jets decided to be terrible, as usual). But from what I heard the Marlins did a nice job paying tribute to Jose Fernandez at yesterday's game, which is pretty great.
It is coming up fast and I need to get more miles in.

Yikes for the jets, 6 interceptions... hopefully they can only go up from there.

Yes the Marlins did do a nice tribute to him and they will be retiring his number.

Weekly Update #7

Hello, hello, hello!

IMG_0488.JPG
(Not my photo)

Another week is gone and that means we are another week closer to Marathon weekend! I suppose it's time to start getting a general idea for what parks we are going to be in on each day. FP day will be here before you know it.

First a running update. Monday, Wednesday, Friday were each around 3 miles or so. Due to weather I moved my long run from Saturday to Sunday. Today I ran 8.2 miles which is my longest distance since my half. I'm building everything back up. The first 3 miles were not so great, my feet hurt and it just wasn't pleasant. I stopped back at home to go to the bathroom real quick and then the final 5.2 miles were much better. I don't know what it was but it was like a completely run! So 17.4 miles for the week.

January 2nd no ADRs- only have a 7 day hopper so we will see if We go to a park or not this day. Maybe Disney Springs?
January 3rd- 1900 Park Fare so probably a Magic Kingdom day after breakfast.
January 4th- Expo, Epcot, Le Cellier
January 5th- Ohana dinner ADR, maybe DHS as the park.
January 6th- Tusker House so AK day, might change that to a rivers of light dinner package if/when they are available
January 7th- whispering canyon dinner, maybe Epcot or DHS (maybe both!)
January 8th- BoG so MK celebrating a Dopey finish!
January 9th- Boathouse, no park Disney Springs
January 10th- departure day, maybe more Disney springs or something

Early thoughts? I'm sure plans will change a bit yet.

Weekly countdown!

FP day- 30 Days!
Arrival at Walt Disney World- 91 days!
Walt Disney World 5K- 94 days!
Walt Disney World 10K- 95 days!
Walt Disney World Half Marathon- 96 days!
Walt Disney World Full Marathon- 97 days!

Less than 100 days until you officially become Dopey!

Plans look good! It looks like you've got lots of time planned at all the parks, and I'm always in favor of lots of Disney Springs time :)

Hey Ryan,

Thanks for all of the updates. I'm doing the 1/2 Marathon (my first) and I'm enjoying following your training and Disney updates. Can't wait to run the parks!! Do you know if the parks will still have any of the Christmas decorations up?

Thanks and I can't wait to follow the rest of your posts.

Chris

Weekly Update #7

Hello, hello, hello!

View attachment 198459
(Not my photo)

Another week is gone and that means we are another week closer to Marathon weekend! I suppose it's time to start getting a general idea for what parks we are going to be in on each day. FP day will be here before you know it.

First a running update. Monday, Wednesday, Friday were each around 3 miles or so. Due to weather I moved my long run from Saturday to Sunday. Today I ran 8.2 miles which is my longest distance since my half. I'm building everything back up. The first 3 miles were not so great, my feet hurt and it just wasn't pleasant. I stopped back at home to go to the bathroom real quick and then the final 5.2 miles were much better. I don't know what it was but it was like a completely run! So 17.4 miles for the week.

January 2nd no ADRs- only have a 7 day hopper so we will see if We go to a park or not this day. Maybe Disney Springs?
January 3rd- 1900 Park Fare so probably a Magic Kingdom day after breakfast.
January 4th- Expo, Epcot, Le Cellier
January 5th- Ohana dinner ADR, maybe DHS as the park.
January 6th- Tusker House so AK day, might change that to a rivers of light dinner package if/when they are available
January 7th- whispering canyon dinner, maybe Epcot or DHS (maybe both!)
January 8th- BoG so MK celebrating a Dopey finish!
January 9th- Boathouse, no park Disney Springs
January 10th- departure day, maybe more Disney springs or something

Early thoughts? I'm sure plans will change a bit yet.

Weekly countdown!

FP day- 30 Days!
Arrival at Walt Disney World- 91 days!
Walt Disney World 5K- 94 days!
Walt Disney World 10K- 95 days!
Walt Disney World Half Marathon- 96 days!
Walt Disney World Full Marathon- 97 days!

Less than 100 days until you officially become Dopey!

Plans look good! It looks like you've got lots of time planned at all the parks, and I'm always in favor of lots of Disney Springs time :)

With 9 days I think I have plenty of time to do most things. I can't wait for dopey!

Hey Ryan,

Thanks for all of the updates. I'm doing the 1/2 Marathon (my first) and I'm enjoying following your training and Disney updates. Can't wait to run the parks!! Do you know if the parks will still have any of the Christmas decorations up?

Thanks and I can't wait to follow the rest of your posts.

Chris

The half is a lot of fun! Christmas decor should still be up, it has been the last couple years.

Weekly Update #8

Hey there hi there ho there!

Another week is gone. A very busy week it has been which has made my running suffer a bit. Monday I didn't run because I was not feeling well whatsoever. Between allergies, a cough, and a stomach bug Monday was not a good day. I did run 3 miles on Wednesday and then about 3.6 miles on Saturday. I hope to get back to a regular schedule this week. It's just a quick update this week as I am again quite busy today. Hope everyone has a great week!

Weekly Countdown!

FP day in 23 Days!
Arrival at WDW in 84 Days!
Walt Disney World 5K in 87 Days!
Walt Disney World 10K in 88 Days!
Walt Disney World Half in 89 Days!
Walt Disney World Full in 90 Days!

Sorry to hear you've had a rough week. Hope you feel better!! 23 days to FP!! Wowza. Getting close now.

Sorry to hear you've had a rough week. Hope you feel better!! 23 days to FP!! Wowza. Getting close now.
I am feeling better. Allergies aren't great still but not a whole lot I can do on that front. I know we are getting so close!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter