You're crazy! No I'm Dopey! 2017 WDW Marathon Weekend PTR Updated 12/31

rteetz

DIS Veteran
Welcome everyone!

My name is Ryan and I will be your host for this Pre-Trip Report and no not your ghost host! I am 18 and a recent High School graduate and soon to be College Student and will be pursuing Civil Engineering. We are from the cheesehead state of Wisconsin. I am a huge Disney fan just like most of us here. My first trip was when I was 8 months old (Don't ask me anything about it because I don't remember). I write articles for the DIS occasionally as well, those are in my signature. If you also don't know this already I am a moderator on the Rumors and News Forum.

image.jpeg

This will be my 9th Walt Disney World trip and will be my 3rd trip during Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend. Lets just say runDisney has got me hooked.

I have a few more characters joining me on this trip.

My youngest sister Sydnee is going into 5th grade and just loves being a kid. She always puts a smile on all of our faces.

My Mother Lynn, the one who got me hooked on Disney and has been going to Disney herself since around 1974. She doesn't even know how many times she's been but she loves it just as much as I do.

Next up is my Grandma Dorothy. She joined us on this years Marathon Weekend trip which was her first time at WDW since the 80s. She loved it and is excited to come back with us.

Finally we have some very close friends joining us who will come up throughout the trip report. They are being kind enough to let us stay with them as they are DVC owners.

As I have already mentioned we are going to Walt Disney World for Marathon Weekend in January. The race weekend dates start 1/4 and go to 1/8. There are 4 races throughout this weekend which is considered runDisney's main event of the entire year. The four races I have listed below as well as the two challenges you can participate in during the weekend. People may call me crazy which many already have but no I am Dopey. I will be running all four races during that weekend which totals 48.6 miles. This will also be the first time I run a full marathon as I have run the other distances.

My mom, sister, and most of our friends will also be running but nobody else is running Dopey like I am. My mom is running the 5K, my sister is running the Mickey Mile which is a kids race. My grandma won't be running but will be spectating of course.

1/5- WDW 5K, 3.1 miles
1/6- WDW 10K, 6.2 miles
1/7- WDW Half Marathon, 13.1 miles
1/8- WDW Marathon, 26.2 miles
Goofy Challenge 39.3 miles (Half and Full marathon)
Dopey Challenge 48.6 miles (All four races)

Our trip dates: Arrival day is still up in the air to 1/10/2016

Our Resort: Saratoga Springs

Ticket option: Undecided right now

Without any further nonsense Lets get planning!

Last edited:

man, I give you a ton of credit for running that much. Good luck! And with all the planning as well

Wow - my hat is OFF t you with all that running, Ryan! Just make sure you play it safe, and don't hurt yourself!!

Wow - my hat is OFF t you with all that running, Ryan! Just make sure you play it safe, and don't hurt yourself!!
Thanks Heidi! I haven't had any injury problems before so I hope to not have any throughout training and the races.

Yay! PTR Time!
I'm so excited that you're doing Dopey and that your mom and sister will also be running races!!

Wow, the full Dopey! I would be in the hospital - and even the Disney hospital is not that fun!

Looking forward to following along! Read your last TR and that has motivated me in my weight loss and will be running my first race next month (not RD yet) and planning for 2018 for the 10K during food and wine!

Here! Can't wait to read all about your plans.

Thanks for joining in!

Looking forward to following along! Read your last TR and that has motivated me in my weight loss and will be running my first race next month (not RD yet) and planning for 2018 for the 10K during food and wine!

Thanks for joining in! So awesome that you as planning on wine and dine! Good luck with your first race!

Saw your TR for your last trip. Your family is hilarious and your report was just as wonderful for an insight for January. My GF and I will actually be in WDW around the sametime! Excited to read more about your planning since the 180 days window is around the corner.

Saw your TR for your last trip. Your family is hilarious and your report was just as wonderful for an insight for January. My GF and I will actually be in WDW around the sametime! Excited to read more about your planning since the 180 days window is around the corner.
Thanks for joining in! We are trying to figure out what restaurants to go to.

ADR Day!

Well we are officially 180 days away from the big trip! This trip will also be my longest Disney Trip ever! We fly in January 2nd and leave January 10th. 9 days of fun in Walt Disney World!

I went on this morning and booked our ADRs for the week.

January 3rd
1900 Park Fare Breakfast at 8:40AM

January 4th
Le Cellier late lunch at 2:20PM

January 5th
Ohana Dinner at 5:35PM

January 6th
Tusker House Dinner at 4:55PM

January 7th
Whispering Canyon Dinner at 6:00PM

January 8th
Be Our Guest Dinner at 6:00PM

January 9th
Boathouse Lunch at 12:30PM

We have yet to book flights for the trip but Southwest releases their flights for the rest of January on Thursday so maybe we will book soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter