You're crazy! No I'm Dopey! 2017 WDW Marathon Weekend PTR Updated 12/31

Hey hey I ran a race today!

Today my sister and I were signed up for the Cream Puff 5K. This was an inaugural race and is run at our state fair grounds which is nice because that's located in the same city we live in. The Wisconsin State Fair is known for 3 things, Beer, deep fried food, and cream puffs. We have an entire building on our fair grounds dedicated just to making and selling cream puffs. And let me tell you, you've never had a cream puff like a Wisconsin state fair cream puff.

We signed up for this race probably 3 months ago or so. This was going to be my sisters first 5K, she is 10 years old.

On Monday we went and picked up our bibs and shirts. They did this at a running store in a nearby city.

That brings us to today. If you aren't currently experiencing it the Midwest and pretty much all of the central part of the United States is experiencing a major heat wave. Today was only the start for us and it's going to get worse each day until Saturday. Luckily race started at 6:30 so it was a little cooler but looking on my phone it was 86 degrees at race time. I would say there was around 2,000 people in the race and they had a limit which they reached because the race sold out.

Here is a look at the course map. We have a race track, the Milwaukee mile, within out fair grounds. That race track is one of the oldest in the country and its a shame no major race association uses it.

View attachment 183021

The start was uneventful other than a count down by someone on a mic.

We got on the track and I could already feel the sweat dripping because it was so hot. My sister was a trooper and did very well. We did have to take some walk breaks for her but she did great for being 10 and for her first 5K.

We finished in about 33 minutes according to the time on the finish clock. My Apple Watch said we did less than 3.1 miles which was weird. I would've thought we did more than 3.1 of anything. We finished and got our ribbon. Instead of a medal they did a ribbon to stick with the fair theme. This ribbon was pretty big too.

View attachment 183024

We finish right next to the cream puff building so what did we do next? We got our cream puffs!

View attachment 183023

I had mine gone in about two minutes. As you can see Sydnee is a little sweaty.

We had a great time and would definitely do it again.

Way to go!

Wow, can't believe I missed the start of your PTR. I just got caught up. Looks like you have a few of the same ADRs as my family and I do. I'll be doing 1900 and La Cellier each the day after you, and will be at BOG at the same time as you. Nice job on the race. The heat here in the midwest, even if I am in Minnesota, has been unreal this week. I have a 10 mile race on Saturday which I'm hoping to use as a POT for Dopey. Hopefully the forecasted storms hold off, though I'm sure with the heat my pace will suffer a little either way.

Wow, can't believe I missed the start of your PTR. I just got caught up. Looks like you have a few of the same ADRs as my family and I do. I'll be doing 1900 and La Cellier each the day after you, and will be at BOG at the same time as you. Nice job on the race. The heat here in the midwest, even if I am in Minnesota, has been unreal this week. I have a 10 mile race on Saturday which I'm hoping to use as a POT for Dopey. Hopefully the forecasted storms hold off, though I'm sure with the heat my pace will suffer a little either way.
Thanks for joining in! That's cool that we will be at BoG at the same time. The heat has been crazy and it's not going to get any better until Sunday. I'm not bothered by the heat too much though. We have a pool so I can just jump in and cool off. I hope your 10 miler goes well and you can use that time.

Thanks for joining in! That's cool that we will be at BoG at the same time. The heat has been crazy and it's not going to get any better until Sunday. I'm not bothered by the heat too much though. We have a pool so I can just jump in and cool off. I hope your 10 miler goes well and you can use that time.

Yeah, I don't have a pool to jump into. I'm not normally terribly bothered by the heat, but we haven't really had heat like this yet this year, so it takes a little time to acclimate to.

Fun idea to do a ribbon instead of a medal and yes it's ridiculously hot right now in the Midwest. BLECH. Those cream puffs look delicious!! Congrats to your sister for her first 5K. :cheer2:

Fun idea to do a ribbon instead of a medal and yes it's ridiculously hot right now in the Midwest. BLECH. Those cream puffs look delicious!! Congrats to your sister for her first 5K. :cheer2:
Well some storms are rolling through right now but the heat will come rig back after. The cream puffs were great!

Heat hasn't hit us here in Buffalo. (Buffalo just declared best weather city in country by Weather Underground - our little secret may be out!) Supposed to get up to 89-90 this weekend though - so kind of yuk. Looks like a fun run - and worth it for those creme puffs!

Heat hasn't hit us here in Buffalo. (Buffalo just declared best weather city in country by Weather Underground - our little secret may be out!) Supposed to get up to 89-90 this weekend though - so kind of yuk. Looks like a fun run - and worth it for those creme puffs!
Supposed to be 95 here today. The creme puffs were definitely worth it.

OMG I WANT THAT CREAM PUFF!

Pretty sure I'd PR every race if they told me there was a cream puff at the finish line.

Awesome that you could share the race with your sister too.

OMG I WANT THAT CREAM PUFF!

Pretty sure I'd PR every race if they told me there was a cream puff at the finish line.

Awesome that you could share the race with your sister too.
That cream puff made it all worth it! It was a fun race.

86 degrees at 6:30 ... yuck. We've actually I'm glad you guys survived and had a pretty good time! Awesome job!

And I love that they did a ribbon instead of a medal ... fits way better with the theme. Although I'm guessing the cream puff was probably the real star of the race experience!

86 degrees at 6:30 ... yuck. We've actually I'm glad you guys survived and had a pretty good time! Awesome job!

And I love that they did a ribbon instead of a medal ... fits way better with the theme. Although I'm guessing the cream puff was probably the real star of the race experience!
Yes we survived and had a lot of fun.

The ribbon was a fun way to mark the accomplishment. The cream puff was the big star and I devoured mine.

Well we can get home...

We went ahead and booked return flights but not flight to Orlando yet. The return flights came down significantly so we had to jump on them. The flights to Orlando are still the same and we hope they come down a few more dollars. So the return looks like this,

Leave MCO at 4:30PM January 10th
Arrive at MKE at 6:30PM

We don't get back too late but we also don't leave Disney too early. I'm happy with that flight time. My sister will have to go back to school the next day (I won't!) but 6:30 should be okay for her.

I also ordered a new suitcase! With the Disney store friends and family discount a week or so ago I got a good deal on it. I didn't really need a new suitcase but this one is smaller and not as big as my other one so its nice to have the smaller one in case.

image.jpeg

There isn't a whole lot to do except for book our arrival flight. I'm hoping for Rivers of light dining packages and Star Wars dessert parties for January. RoL is rumored for September, and the dessert party should be there in January but they have been slow to release those.

Life Update

Well 9 days until I move into college. I don't think that has quite set in yet. I will only be 10-15 minutes away from home but still. I am excited but nervous for this new chapter in my life to begin. School doesn't actually start until the 29th. With the recent event in Milwaukee it will be interesting to see what if anything happens since my school is in the heart of Milwaukee. I don't know why people think causing destruction is okay.

I am coaching football at my former high school. I coach the freshman linebackers and do all of the video/tech work for the varsity team. I am getting paid and I like being involved with high school athletics. My grandpa is the head freshman coach and has been coaching football since 1963. My dad is also an assistant football coach. Coaching runs deep in my blood.

Running

My life has been extremely busy and I worked every day for the last 11 days because it was state fair week here in Wisconsin. I got good 2-3 runs in during the week. I hope to pick it back up this week now that the fair is over. I probably gained 10 pounds from all of the fair food I ate too...

Disney Planning

Well we still need to book our arrival flights. They actually went up in price so we will wait another week or two and if they don't go back down we will book them. We have a credit to use on them anyways.

Not much else to do right now with our ADRs booked. 139 days until I am back and ready to take on Dopey. 79 days until FP booking time!

I can't wait to start planning my days and getting my spreadsheet together. New things to do and see but unfortunately I won't get to see MSEP before it leaves again. I am hopeful but not confident a new nighttime parade will be in place for next year.

Reading

Thanks to @Keels I am now reading about running! I am deep into the Marathon book by Hal Higdon and loving it. It's been a while since I have read any book.

That's it for now. I hope to do a weekly update until I get back into major planning for the big January trip!

Life Update

Well 9 days until I move into college. I don't think that has quite set in yet. I will only be 10-15 minutes away from home but still. I am excited but nervous for this new chapter in my life to begin. School doesn't actually start until the 29th. With the recent event in Milwaukee it will be interesting to see what if anything happens since my school is in the heart of Milwaukee. I don't know why people think causing destruction is okay.

I am coaching football at my former high school. I coach the freshman linebackers and do all of the video/tech work for the varsity team. I am getting paid and I like being involved with high school athletics. My grandpa is the head freshman coach and has been coaching football since 1963. My dad is also an assistant football coach. Coaching runs deep in my blood.

Running

My life has been extremely busy and I worked every day for the last 11 days because it was state fair week here in Wisconsin. I got good 2-3 runs in during the week. I hope to pick it back up this week now that the fair is over. I probably gained 10 pounds from all of the fair food I ate too...

Disney Planning

Well we still need to book our arrival flights. They actually went up in price so we will wait another week or two and if they don't go back down we will book them. We have a credit to use on them anyways.

Not much else to do right now with our ADRs booked. 139 days until I am back and ready to take on Dopey. 79 days until FP booking time!

I can't wait to start planning my days and getting my spreadsheet together. New things to do and see but unfortunately I won't get to see MSEP before it leaves again. I am hopeful but not confident a new nighttime parade will be in place for next year.

Reading

Thanks to @Keels I am now reading about running! I am deep into the Marathon book by Hal Higdon and loving it. It's been a while since I have read any book.

That's it for now. I hope to do a weekly update until I get back into major planning for the big January trip!

I'm glad you're liking the book! My baby brother gave it to me for my birthday (which was the same week as Dopey registration last year), and it was the first book I read when I made the commitment to the Marathon. So, it has a VERY special place in my heart!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter