• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

You're crazy! No I'm Dopey! 2017 WDW Marathon Weekend PTR Updated 12/31

FASTPASS DAY!

Well well well finally we are at the 60 day mark! I have booked all of my Fastpasses and had no problem getting what I wanted. After staying up late to watch the Cubs win the World Series (No I am not a Cubs fan by any means, sorry go Brewers!) I had my alarm set for 6 am CT which is when FPs would be available. I woke up at 6 and was like yeah no... So 6:45 AM it was instead!

Here is a breakdown of the days so far...

Arrival January 2nd, 2017

• No Fastpasses, Disney Springs day
January 3rd, 2017
  • 1900 Park Fare Breakfast at GF
  • Peter Pans Flight 10:50-11:50am
  • Seven Dwarfs Mine Train 12:05-1:05pm
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad 2:35-3:35pm
January 4th, 2017
  • Star Tours 9:15-10:15am (probably not needed at that time but whatever)
  • Toy Story Mania 10:15-11:15am
  • Tower of Terror 11:15-12:15pm
  • Le Cellier Steakhouse 2:05
  • ESPN WWoS for runDisney expo after
January 5th, 2017
  • WDW 5K 6:00am
  • Dinosaur 10:05-11:05am
  • Expedition Everest 11:50-12:50pm
  • Kilimanjaro Safaris 2:10-3:10pm
  • Ohana Dinner 5:35pm
January 6th, 2017
  • WDW 10K 5:30am
  • Soarin 10:35-11:35am
  • Spaceship Earth 11:45-12:45pm
  • Mission Space 2:35-3:35pm
  • Tusker House 4:00pm
January 7th, 2017
  • WDW Half Marathon 5:30am
  • Frozen Ever After 11:45-12:45pm
  • Meet Disney Pals at Epcot Character Spot 1:10-2:10pm
  • The Seas with Nemo & Friends (this one might change) 2:25-3:25pm
  • Whispering Canyon Dinner 6:00pm
January 8th, 2017
  • WDW Full Marathon 5:30am
  • Space Mountain 1:20-2:20PM
  • Pirates of the Caribbean 2:25-3:25PM
  • Be Our Guest Dinner 6:00PM
  • Seven Dwarfs Mine Train 7:05-8:00PM
January 9th, 2017
  • Boathouse Lunch 12:30PM
  • Frozen Sing-along 2:00-2:15PM
  • Toy Story Mania 5:05-6:05PM
  • Star Tours 6:05-7:05PM (this is kind of a placeholder for now, I hope to book the star wars dessert party)
January 10th, 2017
  • Disney Springs until we have to leave :(

The only day we plan on being in the same parks is on January 9th, and I'm also waiting (im)patiently for a Star Wars dessert party!

Your FPs look good. Glad you got what you wanted. My day was last week. I got what we wanted too. I don't know how we are going to fit everything in, between the xmas stuff still there and NYE. Get used to busy. Life just gets busier and busier as you get older. I hope school continues going well, as well as your trip planning.

Your FPs look good. Glad you got what you wanted. My day was last week. I got what we wanted too. I don't know how we are going to fit everything in said:
Thanks! Every trip I say the same thing I don't know how we are going to fit it in but We make it work. Every year life seems to get busier and busier that is for sure.

Your FP+ selections look great! Although I have no idea how you'll be awake for a 7PM FP+ after running the marathon on Sunday...

Also, I saw most of your medals on Friday (they didn't have the 10K medal, but I saw the rest of them at the NYC Marathon expo). Those medals are huge - definitely bigger than last years - it's going to be pretty crazy wearing them all at once!

Your FP+ selections look great! Although I have no idea how you'll be awake for a 7PM FP+ after running the marathon on Sunday...

Also, I saw most of your medals on Friday (they didn't have the 10K medal, but I saw the rest of them at the NYC Marathon expo). Those medals are huge - definitely bigger than last years - it's going to be pretty crazy wearing them all at once!
Thanks! I don't sleep at Disney obviously. I'm sure I'll sleep well that night.

Awesome! I can't wait for the bling!

I'm not trying to be mean, but I think your Marathon Day FP+ are incredibly optimistic.

You should have at least a 16 mile run under your belt right now, so that should give you an idea of your marathon time. Do you feel that you can start and finish a marathon, shower/etc. and take the requisite transportation to make a FP+ at 1 at MK?

Based on your WDW Half time, you're looking at a ~5:50 marathon ... going by the Dopey Corrals this year, that puts you AT BEST in Corral J for the Marathon, which will start roughly around 6:15 if you're lucky.

Frankly, you don't have long-run mileage to support a sub-5:50 marathon at this point. Also, because you don't have long-run mileage close to marathon mileage, I don't think you realize that you just can't go from finishing a marathon to getting to a roller coaster FP+. You WILL go through bouts of not being able to get up and down. If it's hot? You will still be dehydrated. You WILL be hungry.

I know you are planning on Dopey, but as a Dopey finisher, I'm extremely worried about many things in your plan, from dining to FP+s and, honestly, to training.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to be mean, but I think your Marathon Day FP+ are incredibly optimistic.

You should have at least a 16 mile run under your belt right now, so that should give you an idea of your marathon time. Do you feel that you can start and finish a marathon, shower/etc. and take the requisite transportation to make a FP+ at 1 at MK?

Based on your WDW Half time, you're looking at a ~5:50 marathon ... going by the Dopey Corrals this year, that puts you AT BEST in Corral J for the Marathon, which will start roughly around 6:15 if you're lucky.

Frankly, you don't have long-run mileage to support a sub-5:50 marathon at this point. Also, because you don't have long-run mileage close to marathon mileage, I don't think you realize that you just can't go from finishing a marathon to getting to a roller coaster FP+. You WILL go through bouts of not being able to get up and down. If it's hot? You will still be dehydrated. You WILL be hungry.

I know you are planning on Dopey, but as a Dopey finisher, I'm extremely worried about many things in your plan, from dining to FP+s and, honestly, to training.
I wasn't sure on when I would be finished for the marathon so I just booked afternoon FPs. I can change that, I am not worried about that.

I appreciate the advice. I am new to this of course. I will say I am a little confused as to what is worrying about the dining aspect.

@Keels is right. You'll be hard pressed to make it back to MK in time for your FP. Based on her post, I'm concerned about your training too. Have you been getting in the long runs? If not, I'd give some thought to changing some of your plans in the days before the full. It's possible to survive a marathon when undertrained, but not with three races and three fairly full park days leading up to it. I know running at Disney is also a nice vacation, but it won't be as enjoyable if you're suffering or worse by the end of it.

@Keels is right. You'll be hard pressed to make it back to MK in time for your FP. Based on her post, I'm concerned about your training too. Have you been getting in the long runs? If not, I'd give some thought to changing some of your plans in the days before the full. It's possible to survive a marathon when undertrained, but not with three races and three fairly full park days leading up to it. I know running at Disney is also a nice vacation, but it won't be as enjoyable if you're suffering or worse by the end of it.
Thanks John. I'm not worried about the FP. I didn't quite know when I would be done it was just a guess. Fast passes can be moved around.

As a college student the only time I can really do long runs is on the weekends. During the week depending on my schedule I get 2-3 runs in around 3-4 miles this is on a treadmill too because we don't really have a great running route on campus. I go home on the weekends so that's where I do my longer runs.

Had to pop in since I'm in wdw vacation/wine & dine withdrawals. I agree with you on FPs, it's no big deal if you miss the time and can just rebook it for later or something else, not something to worry about in the overall scheme of things for sure. We always find ourselves changing FPs it seems too, based on crowds and change of park plans. Good luck in training too.

Had to pop in since I'm in wdw vacation/wine & dine withdrawals. I agree with you on FPs, it's no big deal if you miss the time and can just rebook it for later or something else, not something to worry about in the overall scheme of things for sure. We always find ourselves changing FPs it seems too, based on crowds and change of park plans. Good luck in training too.
I definitely understand WDW withdrawal. I actually already moved that first one on Marathon Sunday and had to move some on another day due to things the people in my group want to do.

Weekly Update #12

Time is just flying by! We are almost to Thanksgiving can you believe it?!

We will start out with some Disney trip planning related news. We made some switches to our FP schedule already. I moved my day 8 FPs to arrival day where we will go to Epcot in the afternoon. Then on Marathon Sunday I moved my first FP back just in case. So since we will only have a 7 day hopper when we get there we will add a day so we have 8. Due to the deal we got on our tickets we could only get 7 ahead of time.

1/2 Arrival day

Spaceship Earth 2:05-3:05
Frozen Ever After 4:30-5:30
Mission: Space 5:45-6:45

1/8 Marathon Sunday

Pirates 2:25-3:25
Space Mountain 4:25-5:25
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train 7:05-8:00

Running update

This week I ran 4.75 miles on Tuesday, 3 miles on Wednesday, 5.22 miles on Friday and.... 15.01 miles today. My 15 miler felt surprisingly good. My average pace was 9:42 which was better than I thought it would be. I was expecting around 10.

And now for my favorite part...

Weekly Countdown!
Arrival at WDW in 49 days!
Walt Disney World 5K in 52 days!
Walt Disney World 10K in 53 days!
Walt Disney World Half in 54 days!
Walt Disney World Full in 55 days!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter