Your ULTIMATE SURVIVAL GUIDE to Disney World at Christmas Time! UPDATE x2 10/21

Discussion in 'Completed Trip Reports' started by Disneyfreak508, Jan 5, 2012.

1. onelilspark

onelilspark DIS Veteran

I'm just missing you at Napa Rose! Our reservation is for August 27 (my Mom's birthday.)

Enjoy!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Disneyfreak508

Disneyfreak508 Frumpy Princess ♥ <br><a href="http://www.disboard

Wow, that's dedication! Thank you SO much for reading! The last time I was at Disney for Christmas before this trip was 2003, too! How funny. Except I didn't see ANYTHING... no osborne lights, no candle light processional.. nothing! Aww yes, that's how I would feel about it too! I'm glad that I got to go to Disney for Christmas when I was older because I really did appreciate it!

Thank you! Ahh SO lucky! Have a magical trip!

Thanks!

Haha well, THE BREAD is only at Kona... but I'm sure DLR has plenty of special foods of its own :goodvibes

Aww seriously!? That's so funny! If you see me around the parks, make sure to say hi! :goodvibes Thanks!

4. Disneyfreak508

Now to bring an abrupt announcement to what we thought was the perfect end to my summer.

I came home from work today to see my parents discussing something very serious. The first thing I asked about was if everyone was all healthy and safe, and thankfully they said yes. (that's the important part of life, after all)

However, the next worst thing I could possibly hear was said.

Due to some problems with my Dad's old company, there are some financial issues that suddenly came up. That means that the money we were going to use to go to Disneyland is not going to be there at the end of August. So the Disneyland trip is going to have to be postponed.

I'm absolutely heartbroken and every time I think about it I start to cry. The good news is that my parents still want to go on the trip... we just have to push it back. However, I don't know when it will be taking place. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Don't let this announcement take away from your enjoyment of the update... I just wanted to let you know in case you were wondering why my ticker was gone.

Hopefully we will have new Disneyland dates soon. But until then... I hope you keep enjoying the updates from my Christmas trip.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 80: The Crowds Keep Growing...
    December 28th, 2011

After our tasty treat we went over to Morocco for their storyteller.

[​IMG]

We sat in the sun and all of the sudden it got SO much hotter. Where did that come from!? I don’t even know.

The storyteller told us about Ramadan. Since it is a tradition to fast for this holiday, he asked “how many of you could last a day without food??” NOT ME, that’s for sure. It's probably a good thing that I don't celebrate that holiday!

[​IMG]

After the story, Mo’Rockin’ played some music. We stayed for one song but then we went to our next stop.

[​IMG]

We had a little bit of time before the next story, so we went to the bathroom and scoped out a front row seat for the next performance. It was in the United Kingdom and the storyteller was Father Christmas!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He was beautiful – he was dressed in a green fur coat. He told us about songs that were first sung in the United Kingdom before they came over to our country! These songs included “Deck the Halls” and “Here We Come a Wassling.” Christmas Cards also started in the United Kingdom!

[​IMG]

Father Christmas had a little boy named Luke ring the Jingle Bells while we all sang “Deck the Halls.” We also sang “We Wish You A Merry Christmas!” Ahh I loved that performance – it was just wonderful!

[​IMG]

After that we trekked over to Italy at 3:20 pm. This is when I found out that all three of the other parks were closed/filled to capacity!!! Epcot was the only one that still had room and the crowds were INSANE! Here's a crowd picture:

[​IMG]

Thankfully we weren’t trying to wait in lines for anything. These storytellers gave us plenty to do and we didn’t ever have to wait for them!

Christmas Tip #43: If the parks ever get really crowded but you still want to sightsee, go to Epcot and watch the storytellers. You don’t have to wait in line for them and they will keep you entertained even if the crowds are brutal!

We walked through Norway and I had to grab some MAELSTROM pictures! LOOK AT THIS LINE, PEOPLE!

[​IMG]

You're reading that correctly. 50 MINUTES FOR THE MAELSTROM! Can you even believe it?!?! What a short line!!!

[​IMG]

I took some more scenic pictures. You can see the crowds from across the lagoon!

[​IMG]

I posted on twitter:
    Every adult I look at has a beer in their hand in World Showcase. Hahaha #roughday

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LET'S MOVE, PEOPLE!

[​IMG]

There was even a huge crowd of birds!!

[​IMG]

The next story was over in Italy!

[​IMG]

La Befana was the storyteller! She is the Christmas Witch of Italy! She was an excellent actress!

[​IMG]

La Befana told us the story of how the three kings came to her house on the Feast of the Epiphany Eve. (January 5th) They asked where Bethlehem was and she told them to follow the star. La Befana didn’t go with the kings to Bethlehem but later she heard that they brought gifts to the newborn baby king. She then decided that she wanted to bring gifts as well but the star was gone! Since she missed out, she now brings presents to all of the little children of Italy to make up for it.

[​IMG]

She reminded my Mom of all of her Italian relatives and it made her cry! This was her favorite storyteller out of all of them!

[​IMG]

Germany was the next story!

[​IMG]

The main girl’s name was Helga. As you can see in the picture, there was a countdown calendar. In each compartment there were little treats for the kids to eat as they made it through each day to Christmas.

[​IMG]

Helga also talked about the Nutcracker and she had us close our eyes. When we opened them, a lifesized Nutcracker appeared to finish off the story! It was really cute!

[​IMG]

After that it was time for NORVAY! We went to the bakery first.

[​IMG]

I had to take some pictures of all of the desserts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ONE OF EACH PLEASE!

Continued in Next Post

5. Disneyfreak508

Chapter 81: The Maelstrom is the Most Popular Ride in Disney!!!
    December 28th, 2011

While we were in line for at Kringla Og Cafe, an old couple behind us chatted with us while we waited. They were DVC members and their home resort is the Beach Club. They were so impressed with how the Bay Lake amenities are so far advanced even compared to the Beach Club Villas! They were really funny!

We didn’t go for school bread this time around, (sorry Kristen!) but we went back to an old favorite: the sweet pretzel with almonds! My Mom and I used to get this snack ALL throughout my entire childhood. It was about time we had another one! The best part was that there was a cute Norwegian Cast Member working that gave it to me. God Bless him.

[​IMG]

We got our pretzel and ate it by the stage. The Norwegian Storytellers came out at 4:30 pm.

[​IMG]

Before the show started, we talked to this family that was sitting behind us. We saw them at multiple stories! We all had the same idea on this very crowded park day. They were so nice! There were two girls, a Mom and a Dad. They were from Jacksonville and lived only 2 hours away from WDW. They LOVED Disney and were big fans of the annual pass!

Then the show started! This was a comedic story. The main girl, Sigrid, told us about the traditions of the Norwegian holidays. However, the Christmas Gnome, Julenisson, was invisible and he kept causing mischief! He would freeze Sigrid while she was telling the story.

[​IMG]

When Sigrid was frozen she forget her spot in the story! Julenisson would have children in the audience ring the bell to make Sigrid unfreeze and she would wake up very confused!

[​IMG]

The gnome's favorite thing to say was GULE YULE! He wanted the children to leave porridge out for him – not cookies!

[​IMG]

This was my favorite story out of all of them because it was so funny. I loved it!

[​IMG]

That was our last story of the day! I decided to review all of the showtimes we went to so we could see how much we accomplished:
    Canada at 12:00 pm
    Kwanza at 1:05 pm
    Voices of Liberty at 1:15 pm
    Morocco at 2:10 pm
    The United Kingdom at 2:45 pm
    Italy at 3:20 pm
    Germany at 3:55 pm
    Norway at 4:30 pm

WOOHOO! That was a full day!

Christmas Tip #44: If you can only do a couple of the Epcot Holiday Storytellers, my personal favorites were: Norway, Italy, The United Kingdom, Japan, Mexico, France, China, Canada, and Germany. In that order.

Then we decided to walk around the entire World Showcase and take pictures of the scrolls at each storyteller station, since I forgot to do that before. However, I already posted those pictures with each story. So here's some nice scenic Epcot pictures:

[​IMG]

You can just SEE the crowds from across the lagoon. It was nuts.

[​IMG]

We started in Norway, walked all the way through and took photos, and then we stopped to buy some tea in the United Kingdom.

[​IMG]

Mom also bought this beautiful cross necklace!

[​IMG]

I took a picture of this really cute sign in the gift shop:

[​IMG]

For some reason I felt as though this T-Shirt deserved a deuces. I love how they are such big supporters of Will and Kate in the UK gift shop.

[​IMG]

CUTE LITTLE BRIDE BEARS OMG. THEY'RE SO PRECIOUS. I want one as my future wedding present.

[​IMG]

We walked to Canada next and I took this artsy picture:

[​IMG]

Then when we were in Mexico I found this cool drink shirt that goes along with the food one!

[​IMG]

We ended up back in Norway and I decided that I wanted to use my Maelstrom fastpass!!!! Why, you ask…?

[​IMG]

THE MAELSTROM LINE WAS 80 MINUTES LONG.

[​IMG]

I kid you not. 80 MINUTES. I mean, it’s no surprise since this is, after all, the most popular ride in Disney. But I was just CRACKING UP. I felt it necessary to use my fastpass at that point in time. I did not want to be left out of all of the NORVEGIAN MADNESS!

[​IMG]

I posted on twitter:
    Your eyes do not deceive you... There is a 80 MINUTE WAIT for the Maelstrom.

[​IMG]

While I was in line I traded for a Fozzy Bear pin! YES!

The fastpass line took about 10-15 minutes. But I JUST WANTED TO GO ON MY FAVORITE RIDE EVER!

I posted on twitter:
    You know it's bad when you're waiting in the Maelstrom fastpass line #LOL #imlaughingatmyself

After that, we started to head towards the park exit. Another UNBELIEVABLE sunset was happening though, so we had to take a ton of pictures. It was so bright, orange and beautiful!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I said it once and I'll say it again - the sunsets on this trip were INCREDIBLE! I don't ever remember them being this beautiful!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just imagine how incredible it was in real life! It was like the sky was painted!

[​IMG]

Continued in Next Post

6. DonaldDoleWhip

DonaldDoleWhip DIS Veteran

Gorgeous sunset pics! And I can't believe so many people decided to seek the spirit of Norway - I'm always up for facing peril and adventure (but more often, finding beauty and charm :laughing:), but normally I can do that with a 5-minute wait. I guess it beats standing in the Soarin' line and planting virtual seeds in the queue for 3 hours. :lmao:

And I just caught up and saw your Disneyland plans - you're eating practically everywhere! I've only been to Disneyland once, but I really liked their Space Mountain and Indiana Jones Adventure (I'm sure you already know about them from your research). And with so many days there, you'll have plenty of time to check out all the new DCA additions. :thumbsup2

7. hollisterluva92

hollisterluva92 DIS Veteran

I bet! I'm just glad that we're making money!

Nice!

It really is :) I love my job!

I will! I'm thinking I'm going to go see Brave and the new Katy Perry movie next week so I'll let you know what I think!

It really would!

-OH NO :eek::sad::sad::sad::sad: I'm sorry :( I hate news like that...
    -HOLY.CRAP! Those are absolutely INSANE crowds!
    -Hah! I honestly can't wait to drink around the world! Since I turn 21 next year, and I'll hopefully be doing the DCP by then, I'll finally be able to do it!

8. SlippinFalls

SlippinFalls Earning My Ears

Oh Jess I'm sorry to hear your trip was postponed. :sad1:
    I've been reading along with your report, but not commented yet...you're a great writer!
    You are such a positive person, so don't let this bump in the road get you down. The good news is you WILL go to Disneyland someday! pixiedust:

9. marDgreen88

marDgreen88 DIS Veteran

Jess, I am so so sorry about your trip being postponed. I know you must be just devastated because I know how much you've been looking forward to it.

I'm seriously so sad for you! I really hope that yall can figure out some new dates very soon! Who knows, maybe it's a blessing in disguise. You really never know. Either way, I am SO sorry and I just wanted you to know. At least you still get to go visit Preston, right?

10. Disneyfreak508

Thank you! I know, that's absolutely crazy! Hahaha oh Soarin'. Thank Jesus for fastpasses!

Haha well... someday I'll get to live out those plans. Sadly the trip has been postponed. :sad1: Ah well. Hopefully we will get to go on the trip soon.

I know :( I'm really sad.
    They were CRAZY! Haha I know, the only place I actually want to drink is in Epcot!

Aww thanks. I'm really sad, but everything happens for a reason I suppose.
    Thank you so much for the compliments! I'm glad you've been reading along!
    Aw you're too sweet. Thank you! Yes, someday I will get there! I hope it's someday relatively soon.

It's okay :sad1: I'm REALLY sad. But I suppose I'll get over it sooner or later haha. Once we have solidified dates I'll feel better. Ah well. Back to the waiting game.
    And you're right, everything really does happen for a reason. Maybe there is some reason we couldn't go at this point in time. And yes, I still get to visit Preston thank GOODNESS!

11. Reberella

Reberella Mouseketeer

Jess, I am SO sorry about your trip! I would be SO upset, as I'm sure you are :sad:

Hahaha, Mo'Rockin.... I love punny World Showcase bands :lmao:

12. DonaldDoleWhip

DonaldDoleWhip DIS Veteran

OMG I can't believe I missed that - I'd fallen relatively behind so I started reading updates out of order. I'm so sorry to hear the news, but that trip will happen eventually (and hopefully by then, the lines for Cars Land will be down!). :hug:

13. sue_88

sue_88 DIS veteran

Yum! Sweet potato fries! I am a big fan of that!! You have excellent taste.
    And, I just loooove that you went to the Beach Boys concert with Kristen and your dad. That is just about the sweetest thing ever. Your family sure knows how to absorb the best memories possible.
    I must also compliment you on your pin storage system. Very attractive and sensible. I put a bunch of mine in a frame at one time and used it for wall art. The only problem being is that I got a bunch more and don't have room to add them. I want to be able to look at them but also be able to stack them neatly and your collection does that very well.
    Also, I enjoyed the sunset pics. I bet it was very magical in person. I love natural stuff like that. I go kinda crazy for sunsets and rainbows and starry nights. *sigh* so pretty.

14. beachmama3

beachmama3 Mouseketeer

Sorry to hear about your Disneyland trip...I know it's disappointing...the trip to WDW that we are taking next month has been postponed TWO times. Waiting will just make it more exciting, right? Keep us updated and hope you can set a date in stone soon!

OMG, I am loving the storytellers at Christmas! I used to teach 1st grade and we always did a Christmas Around the World theme with our kids (I did Sweden!) so I would love to see that!

And yum, that pretzel looks so good. And love the WS drinking shirt! haha! I will have to look for that one.

80 minutes for Maelstom- What! I have never waited more than ten minutes! That is also my fave Epcot ride!

15. Disneyfreak508

That's alright :( I'm sure it'll happen at some point. It just stinks right now! Ah well.
    Hahaha gotta love it. Disney understands my love for puns :thumbsup2

That's alright, don't even worry! It's okay... hopefully we will have new dates soon. But haha YES those lines need to cool it before I get there!

Why thank you! They are my favorite food!
    Aww thanks! It was probably the most precious night of my life! Haha we try our best1
    Thank you very much! I actually did the same thing for a while. However, I didn't want to hang that many pins on my wall! The binder system works out better.
    Thank you! I'm glad. I love stuff like that too!

It's alright. I'm sad but I hope that we will be able to go on the trip someday soon. Sigh. I'm sorry your WDW trip has been postponed too... at least you're finally going! And yes, it will make it even better! (even though I've been waiting 7 YEARS to go back to Disneyland. I guess at this rate, what's a few more months!?)

Aww that's adorable! How fun.

It was yummy! And yes, I thought that shirt was so clever.

Isn't that INSANE!? So crazy. And lol it's one of mine too!

16. mermaid764

mermaid764 DIS Veteran

Jess I am so sorry to hear about the change to your Disneyland trip, at least it's only being postponed and not canceled though, and hopefully you won't have to wait too much longer to go back:goodvibes

I've loved reading all your updates on the storytellers, it makes me want to go to WDW during the Christmas season even more so than I already did. I particularly found it interesting how Christmas cards originated in the UK...who says a trip to WDW can't be educational lol

And seriously that has to be the most gorgeous sunset ever!! Your pictures are amazing of it:goodvibes

17. Disneyfreak508

Yes, let's just hope the postponement won't last too long :laughing: We have some potential dates in mind but it just depends, you know? Ah well. I'll keep you guys updated.

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed them! And oh yes, I learned SO much on my trip! Seriously, Disney is probably the most educational vacation destination ever! However, I just have a ton of fun when I learn everything!

Aww thank you! I'm glad you liked the pictures!

18. beachmama3

beachmama3 Mouseketeer

Aww, when you put it that way :sad1:...seven years is forever. I'm sorry! But I KNOW one day soon you will be writing your DLR TR!

19. Disneyfreak508

I know. It's alright though because I do love my WDW, and I feel so fortunate to have been able to go there so many times. So I will just have to be patient :) I'm sure I'll get there soon. I hope so!

20. __disneygirl

__disneygirl well, all that's left now is the happy ending.

Oh no! Jess, I'm so sorry you can't go to Disneyland yet. That's so disappointing, but I'm sure you'll get to go soon. Every time I realize I won't be going soon, I remember that when I finally do go, it will be that much better because of the wait. So just think of how amazing it will be when you actually do get to go. and also, obviously, I'm sorry about your dad's company not being in the best place right now, but I'm sure things will turn around. AND I saw your tweet about it being the worst summer ever, and mine has pretty much been that too. But it could be a LOT worse. Things will get better <3

Anyway, onto the update! I've never watched MoRockin, but i've heard they're really good!

Oh my GOD those crowds. WOW. You are so lucky the Maelstrom wait was only 50 minutes!!!

The Christmas Witch of Italy? Wow, that's different. I've never heard of her before, that's awesome!

Yay for cute CMs and treats from Norway! Can you believe I've never eaten anything from Kringla?? Even though I'm obsessed with the name and SHOUT it in a thick Norvegian accent as I pass by?? I really need to go there on my next trip.

hahaha that gnome thing is so funny. That Santa looks kinda frumpy too. I love it!

I just never get tired of saying it... Maelstrom is a FASTPASS. Very necessarily a fastpass attraction. How many times did you go on? 10??? 20?????? It is never enough.

OMG that is the most beautiful sky ever! Amazing pictures!

21. Disneyalltheway

Disneyalltheway Earning My Ears

Awww Jess, sorry about your trip getting postponed! You are so very lucky to have parents who want to take you there and do everything Disney with you! I wish we lived closer so we could get to Disney more or at least have cheaper flights, lol!

Have to say your thread is my favourite, it's the first I always check, you are so thorough and such a great storyteller! Keep your chin up!