Your Least-Favorite Vacation

A couple of times my parents planned vacations with my sister's family and my family all staying in the same house. Let's just say we don't do that anymore. We all get on each others' nerves and it's just not a good time. We need separate accommodations.

My extended family stayed together in a large cabin -- it was like rats in a cage. Not my idea of a fun family reunion. It was a scenic area in Idaho, and Yellowstone Park is nearby, but cooking and cleaning and putting up with screaming kids.... My sisters love to go back (staying at different times in different accommodations), but we'll pass, thanks just the same.

We drove to western MA from NC and stayed in a pretty awful timeshare. It was an old ski resort (we were visiting in June) and there was nothing to do in the area besides visit the local half empty mall. DH and I both caught a stomach bug and ended up erupting out of both ends for the first half of our week there. On our second to last night, we went to a local restaurant that looked popular, and DD ate something that caused her to vomit all night afterward. We were so happy to get home after that "vacation"!
My least favorite was to a small ski resort in Virginia during the summer time. I've been to Lake Tahoe in summer and it was beautiful. We hiked, swam and boated in the lake, had a lovely time. The tiny ski mountain (if you can call it a mountain) in Virginia just didn't have enough to do. Boring.

A trip to WDW with friends as a reunion of sorts. We stayed in my DVC and I used more points than usual to make sure we had space. Neither of them had ever been to WDW, so they asked me to make the arrangements. I did and got nothing but griping, whining and pouting in return. It was awful. If there had been a double homicide on MK's Main Street, these two would have been the victims and I'd be in Mickey's prison.

We went on a cruise 20 yrs ago. I was so excited!! As a kid, I watched The Love Boat faithfully!! There was a giant tropical storm that delayed many passengers flights, including ours. They held the ship up, because so many of us were missing. The same storm followed us most of the cruise. I had horrible sea sickness, due to the rocking ship. But the ports we visited were really nice and fun. I don't think I'm a great candidate for cruises. The room seemed small, and the shipboard activities didn't appeal to me that much. However, it was a long time ago, pre-kids, so now I might like it better.

Hawaiian cruise on NCL. Since the cruise began in Hawaii, there is a law that the employees on the ship had to be American. It was awful!! A bunch of young 20ish American kids as employees was a disaster. They were lazy and acted as if it was their vacation. Saw employees making out in public areas, just bad. BAD!!!

And we went during a horrible drought, so our Road to Hannah was not the beautiful picturesque drive we were told about. My family refers to that as the "Road to Hella."

Definitely our worst (and one of our most expensive) vacations.

Least favourite vacations: Any time I have gone to Florida. I can never wait to get outta there. I guess I just don't get it.

My least favorite repeat vacation is a week at the beach (Destin, FL). Don't get me wrong - I like the beach, and Destin is definitely one of my favorites, but a week straight of sun and sand is just too much for me. The rest of my family beaches like champions - they get up early in the morning and set up umbrellas and chairs on the beach, are down there sunning by 10 AM, only break an hour for lunch, and then are at the beach until 5 or 6 PM that evening. I can do that easily for two or three days... but by day four, I'm crying on the inside. Too much sun, sand, and salt... and I'm just bored.

We took our annual trip to visit my wife's grandfather in eastern Illinois. Our kids were about 7 and 11 at the time. Just before we got there, he had a cancerous growth cut off his lip and it got infected and he had to be hospitalized. The closest hospital was 70 miles away in Effingham, Illionis. Instead of a nice vacation with family in a nice hotel, in an area we knew with lots of things for the kids to do. Effingham is at the junction of Interstate 57 and Interstate 70 and it's main industry is being a truck stop. Every corner had a truck stop, a truck wash, a big rig repair place.
The good thing was there were a lot of restaurants with cheap prices and huge portions.
The interesting things were, we had never seen restaurants with showers before, and we got to see more big rigs than I have ever seen in one place in my life.
The bad things were, not much for the kids to do. And, well, the no smoking signs were only in the restaurants because the law required them. Waitress said the last person who complained about someone smoking in the restaurant left wearing their bowl of chili.
Oh, the the no smoking sign was ignored in the HOSPITAL too.

Camping. In a tent. I was 15. We went canoeing down a river for three days and every night we would have to set up camp, then in the am pack it all up and more canoeing. It was blazing hot during the day, and freezing at night.

Never. Again. Now I "glamp" a la Troop Beverly Hills style.

I am not at one with nature.

I loved that kind of stuff at 15. Now, not so much :)

We took our annual trip to visit my wife's grandfather in eastern Illinois. Our kids were about 7 and 11 at the time. Just before we got there, he had a cancerous growth cut off his lip and it got infected and he had to be hospitalized. The closest hospital was 70 miles away in Effingham, Illionis. Instead of a nice vacation with family in a nice hotel, in an area we knew with lots of things for the kids to do. Effingham is at the junction of Interstate 57 and Interstate 70 and it's main industry is being a truck stop. Every corner had a truck stop, a truck wash, a big rig repair place.
The good thing was there were a lot of restaurants with cheap prices and huge portions.
The interesting things were, we had never seen restaurants with showers before, and we got to see more big rigs than I have ever seen in one place in my life.
The bad things were, not much for the kids to do. And, well, the no smoking signs were only in the restaurants because the law required them. Waitress said the last person who complained about someone smoking in the restaurant left wearing their bowl of chili.
Oh, the the no smoking sign was ignored in the HOSPITAL too.

I laughed as soon as you said Effngham. One of my best friends is a truck driver & that's his turnaround point LOL

The worst for me was when my mother came along on a trip to WDW. She hated just about everything and continually complained. I finally lost my temper and we had it out. I had no problem with her not liking it but there was no reason to constantly give me a hard time.

She gave me the silent treatment for a while after that which was actually a good thing. DS was there too and he was young so I made sure that he had fun...in peace!

When I was a teenager my parents took me to the Ozarks. I don't really remember doing much, we went to Silver Dollar City, and it seems like we drove a lot through endless hills. The worst part was finding a place to stay in some little tourist trap town. My parents weren't seasoned travelers, so we had no hotel reservations. We went to several spots that were sold out or too expensive. It was starting to get pretty late and we ended up at some hotel that was very old, with a ceiling fan and no air conditioning.

Camping with extended family. We set up tents at the wrong site and had to move (I told them so but no one would listen). One of my kids attacked by every mosquito type and spiders which resulted in an emergency room visit. Then came the rain. Day after day.

Four star resorts now please.

The beach in Texas. We went to Galveston, Port Aransas, and South Padre. I hated it. The water is murky, there's a ton of seaweed that has to be bulldozed off the beach every few days, and Portuguese Man O' War everywhere. Our son got stung & I was a nervous wreck the whole week. I do NOT like swimming when I can't see what's in the water with me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter