Your BEST cruise tip learned from the DIS

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by scrapbookmomma74, Jan 28, 2013.

1. scrapbookmomma74

scrapbookmomma74 We love DCL!!!

Since I started "lurking" here about 2 years ago, I feel that I have learned many invaluable things from my fellow DISers...
    So, let's share our best cruise tip learned here!

The best thing I learned here was to pack an over-the-door shoe organizer to hang in our stateroom...it has become a packing staple, no matter where we are going!

Thank you to everyone for so much knowledge gained here! :)

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. PrincessShmoo

PrincessShmoo DIS Veteran

Just relax, and don't overplan your cruise.

4. Pixie Naseweis

Pixie Naseweis Mouseketeer

All about FE - get involved, sew your own FE, handcraft your gifts, have fun on board, find new friends, take lovely gifts home! Makes a Disney cruise really special! :dance3:

5. NurseDave

NurseDave Mouseketeer

Hehe! Aren't these boards the opposite of that?

Probably the best thing I learned is don't miss the Palo brunch. We'll see in a few months.:)

6. dbarker

dbarker DIS Veteran

Suitcases go UNDER the bed. If they won't go easily, have DH raise the bed and slide them under.

That is probably the most valuable tip I learned here.

7. SG101

SG101 Mouseketeer

I learned about suitcases going under the bed, not having to stand in the Kids Club line at the terminal (just pre-register and get their bands at their 1st day at Kids Club), Shirley Temples are included with dinner, door magnets and templates (we made them for our entire party and will surprise everyone on the cruise next week), and don't plan too much. Relax and Enjoy!!!!

8. Bear3412

Bear3412 DIS Veteran

Choose to sail DCL while kids are young. My first hurdle.
    Character signatures on photo mat. :thumbsup2
    Book with TA for OBC.
    Book dummy ressie onboard and name TA, for more OBC.

Thank you Disboards :worship:

9. Luv2Diz

Luv2Diz We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

I appreciated learning before our 1st cruise:

1. That the cups at the drink stations are tiny. Bring something larger and fill it with the small cups at the drink station.

2. There aren't enough outlets in the cabin so bring a power bar. We definitely needed it to recharge camera batteries, electronics, and to plug in the curling iron.

3. Bring a small fan to both circulate the air in the room and provide some white noise.

10. Magic3forme

Magic3forme Grand Slam club members

Bring an extension cord/ power strip!!

I learned about the pillow cases/ photo mats on here too.

11. DynamicDisneyDuo

DynamicDisneyDuo DIS Veteran

The old tried and true:

Don't try and do everything. Do what you can and use the rest as a reason to book another cruise.

12. Ptwolfman

Ptwolfman Mouseketeer from CA

Bring a collapsible laundry hamper

13. aymekae

aymekae Ayme of the Southern Isles

If flying in to MCO the night before, staying at the Hyatt in the airport is really convenient. We went a step further and scheduled our bags for pick up outside our room, checked in for our cruise (I know this isn't an option anymore), ate breakfast, then returned to board the DCL bus. I know the room and the bus transfers are pricier than other options, but I can't stress enough how hassle-free it all was and worth every penny.

14. debsters41

debsters41 DIS Veteran

On board check in for the flight home::yes:: Guest services has a luggage scale and if you call them they will come up to your cabin and weigh your luggage so it is easy to tell if you have to switch things around rather than do it at the airport.

Also, if not doing that, budget for the porters at the end of the cruise. We flew out of that building so fast I am sure we were not there even five minutes.

Off site parking: Shirley's thread "helpful information for you" is one of the most... well.. helpful :rolleyes2 threads on this board! The off site parking she recommended was quite convenient!

And my tip: Dance like no one's watching you:banana::dance3: That is what I still remember from my first cruise :blush:

15. lodge

lodge DIS Veteran

Best tip? ....... read the DIS boards, frequently.

It's saved us money, time, frustration, hassles... and on and on.

16. penel3

penel3 Disney World Addict since 1994

Brought a reusable water bottle, best thing I ever did!!! Was able to really get my Sprite Zero fix!!! with way fewer trips to Deck 9 (Disney Wonder)
    Was in a 1-bedroom suite so "blew off" the power bar recommendation....BIG MISTAKE!! There aren't even enough outlets in the suites, nevermind a smaller room...DO BRING A POWER BAR NO MATTER WHAT!!!!!

Thank you Dis!!! I love you all!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. believinthemagic

believinthemagic Mouseketeer

My favorite tip was to go to paradise beach on cozumel. Family loved it & all thanked me for finding out about it!

The tip I didn't follow & wish I had was, pack what you think you need, then take out half. I WAY overpacked clothes!!