You Can Taste the Magic- an August 2016 Dining Report- Updated 7/29

gmccreary

peytonsdisneymom
Hi everyone! I am taking the plunge. I've been a reader here on the Dis for several years. Since our family vacation next month has shaped up to be particularly epic, I decided there was no time like the present to join in the fun. Welcome to my first Dining Report!!!

Where to begin? Let me introduce the cast of characters!

I'm Georgeanne: wife, mom, and a little over a year into my second career as a PICU nurse. I'll let you all in on a little secret- I haven't always been a Disney addict. Growing up, I visited Disney World exactly twice. The first time, I was eighteen months old. I have only ever seen one photo from that trip, and remember nothing. The second time, I was eighteen years old. I visited in July, and spent the week in one room at the Grand Floridian with my parents and two younger sisters. It was hot, crowded, and I was full of teenage attitude. I take full blame for not enjoying the experience, but it left me in no rush to get back.

DH is Walt, manager of a major trade show company. We will be celebrating our tenth wedding anniversary in November. He probably isn't quite the Disney Addict that I am, but he fully embraces and sometimes even encourages my love for all things Disney. In fact, it is his fault that I have turned into the Disney Addict that I am- but I'll get to that shortly.

DS is Peyton, 8 years old. He is sweet, smart, funny, easy-going, and most importantly, happy and healthy! He loves baseball, video games, and having fun with his friends and family. He is up for anything, and I'm pretty sure being raised as a full blown Disney Addict. Because if I've counted correctly, this will be his tenth trip to Disney World.

When Peyton was about a year and a half old in early 2009, dear friends of my husband (see, this is why it's his fault) invited us to WDW as their guests-- park tickets and a few special meals included. At that time, I wouldn't have been interested in planning a Disney trip on my own, but this was too good to pass up. About three seconds after stepping on property, I was hooked! The magic was real, and I was blown away by the amazing customer service and attention to detail around every corner. The rest is history. In the years since then, we've been on a variety of trips to the world- on property and off, short trips and long, driven and flown. We've celebrated holidays and weddings in the World. Whose wedding, you asked? Let me get back to the rest of the cast-

Back to that first family trip in 2009, my stepson Walter and his girlfriend Brittany were able to join us for part of the trip. Walt and Brittany are high school sweethearts, and Brittany has always been a Disney Addict. She was on a Disney vacation with her mom and sisters in 2014 when Walter flew down to surprise her for the last night of her trip. He proposed at the Contemporary. After careful consideration, they decided on a Disney Wedding! They were married this January at the Grand Floridian, and it was everything you could have imagined. In fact, before the wedding, hubby was thinking we should take our summer vacation to somewhere other than Disney. The wedding was so amazing that we decided on a return to Disney before we even got home. One of the things that makes this upcoming trip so epic? We recently found out that Walt and Brittany will be able to join us for the last few days of our vacation!!

As I mentioned, we have returned to Disney World many times in the last 7 years. in 2013, hubby and I went for an adults-only long weekend. We joke that the whole family benefitted from that trip because we came home as DVC members! This trip, we will purchase TiW for the second time (20% off food and alcohol?? sign me up!!).

Thanks so much for joining us on our next Disney Adventure!

Up Next: The line up and a little more about why this trip is so epic!

Thank you for taking the time to write this dining report. I'm looking forward to jumping in and reading it!

Thank you for taking the time to write this dining report. I'm looking forward to jumping in and reading it!

Im following! Need some inspiration for my November trip!

Thank you!!

I'm following along! We're going in August too:-)

We will be there in August too!

Thank you!! We've been in August before, and I really like it. Not as crowded as July, and even though it is hot, you can really enjoy the pools. We may even squeeze in a water park day! Also, these last two weeks in Maryland have been hotter and more humid than WDW!

Last edited:
The Lineup and more!

As mentioned, this trip is shaping up to be extra amazing. Part of that is definitely the ADR's we have, but lots of other things have fallen in to place, too! First, we are staying at AKL for the first time. Wilderness Lodge is probably our favorite resort that we've stayed at so far, but I am super excited to try out AKL. We got a 1-bedroom Savannah view, and we're all stoked to see animals right off of our balcony.

We also added an extra day to the beginning of our trip. When things fell into place that let us travel down a day early, I started scoping out hotel rooms. I was pretty sure we'd do that first night off property, but I didn't mind. There are some amazing places out there. Then, out of the blue, DH (who HATES the value resorts) suggested that we spend that night at All Star Movies. I had it booked within 30 seconds. ASMo has a special place in our hearts because it is the first WDW resort we stayed at when Peyton was only 2 and OBSESSED with Toy Story. We are all excited to revisit this place and recreate some photos from that trip.

We had decided on 7 day park hoppers for this trip. I also knew for sure that I wanted to get the Memory Maker this time around. Wouldn't you know it, but by the time you add MM to these tickets, the price difference to upgrade to the DVC gold AP is pretty much non-existent. So for the first time ever, we are becoming AP's. It just made sense because we were already planning on returning next August for a week. Now that we have AP's, we are already talking about a couple of smaller trips in between.

Onto the lineup!!!

Day 1: Via Napoli dinner (Believe it or not, this is first for us and I couldn't be more excited to try it out)

Day 2: Be our Guest dinner (Beauty and the Beast is my favorite movie. Our two dinners here have been great. And also wine in the Magic Kingdom)

Day 3: Boma dinner (another first for us)

Day 4: Rainforest Cafe lunch in AK (Peyton's choice. His excitement alone is enough reason to go)

Day 5: Dinner at California Grill (Our third time here, and a family favorite. This time is the first that we have a fireworks reservation)

Day 6: This is the day Walter and Brittany will join us, landing in plenty of time for Brunch at California Grill (so excited for this after the reviews I've seen here!!)

Dinner at The Boathouse (I've only had an appetizer here at the bar, but Walter and Brittany have been here and DH and I have been to
Gibson's in Chicago)

Day 7: Beaches and Cream (We've been here before, but this time we have our eyes on the Kitchen Sink, Chocolate Lover's version)

Dinner at Wolfgang Puck the Dining Room (First time for us, Hubby's request- anyone have any reviews? I have to get the schnitzel, right?)

Day 8: Dinner at 'Ohana (Last time we were here was for Walter and Brittany's rehearsal dinner.... Lapu Lapu anyone??)

Day 9: Lunch at Yak & Yeti (Our go-to in AK)

Of course, things may change, but this is how it looks with less than two weeks to go!!

Feel free to follow along on instagram @peytonsdisneymom

Will be looking forward to hearing all about your dining adventures. I arrive in 13 days and am looking forward to lots of yummy food and drink as well. Hope you have a wonderful holiday!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter