You Best Start Believing in Ghost Stories...Halloween on the Dream | The End P40 8/15

Discussion in 'Completed Trip Reports' started by FreezinRafiki, Feb 24, 2012.

1. FreezinRafiki

FreezinRafiki Cold enough for ya?

And they remembered what the kids had to drink from night to night, so when we got to our table on the second night, they each had their milk or lemonade already sitting there for them. :thumbsup2
    The problem is that she gets her sense of humor from me, so I can't even get mad.
    I think we either settled on seal or sea monster.
    The rocking was a bit unnerving, that's for sure!

<heavy Russian accent, because it just makes it funnier>Oh, you want boat that floats? Let me transfer you to our "executive" cruise line.

Nothing but the best for my readers!

All the side effects of being a drunken sailor, none of the drinking. Don't look now, but I think we got ripped off on that.

:sad1:No. There was a pretty large group (probably 10 people) that seemed to get Crush's focus before he had to move on.

::yes:: We did have a bit of an issue with the assistant server - she kept messing up the drink orders or just forgetting them all together. But Dennis more than made up for it.

Sorry, I guess I should have warned you to wear the cast iron hat to keep the wall splatter to a minimum.

I never did figure out why lemon never caught on as a popular color/flavor for shaved ice. :confused3

Hmmm..wax monster? Could be!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. FreezinRafiki

I did that just for you, Andy. :thumbsup2
    Hey, she was buying. Why not?
    Agreed! :thumbsup2 I'll get my Imagineer friends right on that.....as soon as I get some Imagineer friends. :sad2:

"Being lazy" really isn't that much of a guess when people look at me.

Be careful, she's also very competitive. If she hears you say that, she just might surprise you.
    Bambi seems to get a lot of pity. I'm not sure why.
    Yes. Skinny Cow ice cream and fat-free cookies. I'd rather eat the bowl.

I'm not sure I could even try to pick our favorite. They were all so good!

Thanks! Glad to have you aboard! I hope you liked the others. Or at least tolerated them. Actually, I just hope they didn't put you to sleep - or worse. But you're still here, so I must be doing something right!

4. FreezinRafiki

While they were some fairly hefty swells, they were gentle enough that you weren't knocked out of your chair or anything.
    There was sooo much stuff around. Did you ever see the mock up of the animator's work station in the Animation building of Hollywood studios? The restaurant reminded me a lot of that, only in a much larger scale.

She was excellent as well. Do you remember her name?

That's awesome!
    I forget where we were going, but just as we were leaving she was in the hallway and we chatted for a bit. She asked if we had sunscreen, which of course we forgot in the room. She really saved our skin that day. (No, really - she saved our skin! :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:)

5. GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes

GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes Dis Dad #469 . . . . "Nation Ford", SC

OK&#8230; I&#8217;m caught up.
    First: Sorry I&#8217;ve been AWOL for a while

Second: Nice updates Barry, but I&#8217;ve missed so much that conducting a proper multi-quoting assault would be entirely too time consuming. But then again I see that the rest of the gang has been doing a fine job of harassing you so it&#8217;s all good. That being said, there are two things that I feel require a comment or three. One because I was asked a direct question (and y&#8217;all know just how dangerous that can be), and the other one&#8230; just because I feel the need.

First the direct question which will result in a little bit of mini-bonuses-feature thread piracy (and do remember that you did make the mistake of asking it in the first place).

What you&#8217;re looking at there are a pair of US Army (yes I said Army) LCUs (which means &#8220;Landing Craft - Utility&#8221;). They&#8217;re used for transporting heavy supplies, gear and vehicles between various coastal military facilities. These are both sisters of the &#8220;Runnymede Class&#8221; of LCUs. There are thirty five of these ships (and I can list &#8216;em all if you really, really want me to). There are usually one or two in Port Canaveral and any time. Which ones are there varies depending on what cargo needs to be moved in or out of the port. The current locators for the web-cams at Canaveral for instance show that there is only one of these ships in port at the moment and it happens to be the USAV Bristoe Station (LCU 2006). All of these LCUs are assigned numbers from 2001 to 2035 and the last two digits are painted on the top of the bridge structure in a fairly large format so you can pretty easily figure out which of the thirty five sisters you&#8217;re looking at on any given day (assuming you have the whole list that is). In your photo, LCU &#8220;01&#8221; is nearest the dock and happens to be the class leader USAV Runnymede (LCU 2001). The one on the outside with the big &#8220;04&#8221; painted on it would be the USAV Aldie (LCU 2004).

Remember&#8230; you asked for it. :rolleyes1

Now for the bit that I just couldn&#8217;t help but comment on&#8230;

You may not have been able to bring yourself to transform Belle into a pirate wench, but there are certainly others in the world who feel no such compunction. So with out farther ado&#8230;

Here are three of Disney&#8217;s heroines envisioned as swashbuckling privateers by some artistic sole with a buccaneer&#8217;s eye for detail.

[​IMG]

pirate:

6. FreezinRafiki

Exactly. She'll find very creative ways to be trouble. :lmao:
    The food, service and atmosphere were excellent. All ingredients of a great meal!

Thanks Chris! Glad you found it!

Thanks! Is there anything in particular holding him back from wanting to go? Or just fear of the unknown and different? Let me know if there is anything I can do to help persuade him!
    Thanks! Public school is good for something!
    Thank you! They were a lot of fun to make!
    Yes, yes it would. Disney does have 5 person staterooms, and with DVC we can always put 5 in a 1 bedroom. But the world does seem set up for the family of 4, doesn't it?

7. FreezinRafiki

Great to see you here, boB!
    That's all the encouragement I need to include more visual puns. :thumbsup2
    Would that be a +1+1 or just a +2?:confused3
    From what I understand, all outside staterooms have either a verandah (fancy talk for balcony) or portholes. Most have the single big porthole, but some have two smaller ones. Not sure how big those are.
    Maybe you just have awesome shoes?
    Yes, beer is a speciality drink. I don't think there is free alcohol anywhere on the boat. They do have a deal where you can buy a special mug (and my numbers are off, but it is something like this) that is 16 oz, but then you can use it for the rest of your cruise to get 16 oz pours for the 12 oz price. Or something like that. Disney also allows you to carry on your own alcohol. So you can mix your own rum with their free coke.

Cabanas's is the buffet. It's open most of the time, except late a night and for the little while that it takes them to switch from breakfast to lunch or lunch to dinner. Everything in there is included with your cruise fare.
    They also have smaller counter service restaurants up by the pool serving pizza, sandwiches, salads, wraps, etc most of the day. And an ice cream place with soft serve ice cream. All included.
    The 3 main dining restaurants on the Dream are Animator's Palate, Enchanted Garden and Royal Palace. They are sit down meals that have salads, appetizers, a main course and dessert. But you can mix and match - can't decide between the New York Strip and the lobster? No problem, they'll bring you both!
    The Dream does have 2 fancy restaurants - Palo and Remy. There in an additional charge for these adults-only places. I think it's $15, but I've never eaten there so I don't know.
    And when all else fails, there is room service. The food and most of the drink is free (they charge for things like cans of soda, but open drinks like glasses of milk or lemonade are free). We didn't do it, but I hear that getting milk and cookies delivered at bed time is a popular event on the ship.
    The only places they really charge for food are the concession stands outside of the theaters.

So in conclusion, you really have to work hard to find a way to have to pay for something to eat on the ship!

That's OK. I like to share my knowledge!

Yes. Yes you do. ::yes::

Ask away! I'm full of information. Most of it is correct!
    It doesn't matter why you enjoy it, just that you do enjoy it. :thumbsup2
    Thank you!

You're right! I do like it! Congrats again! When are you due? We will need to see pictures, of course.
    Thank you!
    It is very similar to Epcot - Disney did a great job with this!

8. FreezinRafiki

Welcome back to the virtual world!
    Thanks. And yes, there are always plenty of people to take up the harassment slack. :thumbsup2

I asked, fully knowing the repercussions. Please, explain away...

Ah! Excellent! I knew I could count you, Rob. But you would think the Navy would get all upset that the Army is infringing on it's color pattern. You'd think they'd have trademarked "gunmetal grey" and sued anyone else that used it.

These are awesome! :thumbsup2

9. GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes

And now you have an image you can use for Grandma on the next cruise.
    (I can supply copies of those in a larger format if you’re interested)

Naaaaa… they’re not as picky about it as you might think. These are the same folks that have at one time or another seen the need to paint ship in some rather… shall we say… creative liveries. There was “usually” a method to the madness, but still…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the winner of this little contest…
    :eek:

[​IMG]

10. afwdwfan

afwdwfan DIS Dad #460

Well, I guess before the days of GPS and laser guided missiles those paint jobs might have been useful in war. Kind of hard to shoot something that screws with your depth perception like that. :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

11. petals

petals Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

luvin the update!

12. FreezinRafiki

The plan, as it stands now, is that grandma & grandpa won't be on the next cruise. I'm not entirely broken up by this. ;)

That's....just....wow. :rotfl:

Captain: Fire at will!
    Gunner: At which ship, sir?
    Captain: The one in the middle
    Gunner: I think they're all in the middle, sir. :confused:

Thank you!

13. Captain_Oblivious

Captain_Oblivious DIS Dad #257

Wow. It looks like the Navy was taken over for a time by the people who make the fabrics for golf pants.

14. FreezinRafiki

We relaxed in the stateroom for a bit and listened to the kids have a rather heated conversation about who would get the top bunk. Unfortunately, their debating skills have yet to evolve beyond:
    Madison: "Me!"
    Evan: "Me!"
    Madison "Me!"
    Evan: "Me!"
    Madison: "Me!"
    Evan: "Ok, you."
    Madison: "Really?!"
    Evan: "Of Course Not. Me!"

(Ok, that last part may not have happened, but it sure would have been funny. For the first 3 seconds, then she probably would have punched him.)

We did point out that we had 4 nights on the boat, so each child would get 2 turns in the top bunk. I guess Mr. Kreuger, my high school math teacher, was right. I would use math after I graduated.

So, with the sleeping arrangements all settled, we made our way back upstairs for that evening's show. We emerged from the elevator to hear the sweet sounds of live music coming from the Atrium. A quick peek over the 4th floor railing revealed none other than our own Goofy tickling the ivories.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And just in case you were wondering, yes, you will find touches of Mickey everywhere. I'd call them Hidden Mickeys, but they're not really hidden.

[​IMG]

Even the bathrooms are Mickeyed! (Yes, it's a word. Its on the internet, so it must be true)

[​IMG]

We made our way past the shopping district on the ship and into the Walt Disney Theatre. (You can tell it's a fancy place because they spelled "Theater" wrong. I've been told this is on purpose.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We settled into our seats for the performance, complete with snacks. Yes, we just ate, but grandpa decided we needed popcorn for the show. And who am I to argue with free food.

[​IMG]

The camera panned around to show some of the celebrities in attendance.

[​IMG]

What a prima donna. He has to bring his own chair. Sheeesh.

As we sat waiting for the theater (sorry, theatre) to fill, we watched the heavy red curtains swaying with the rocking of the ship. Photos don't do it justice, but they had to easily be swaying 3-4 feet at the bottom. :sick: I'm sure the performers are used to conditions like this, but how anyone can sing and dance on stage was beyond me!

[​IMG]

Before the show began, we were greeted by Captain Gus and Rachel the cruise director. First of all, Captain Gus did assure us that another member of the crew was in fact steering the ship. To tell you the truth, I was a bit worried. He thanked us for choosing Disney Cruise Line (there are others?) and introduced some of the senior staff. Rachel went on to tell us all about the wonderful amenities on the ship, including the Buena Vista Theater. She explained that DCL is the only cruise line in the world to offer 1st run Hollywood movies on the ships. Because "we own most of them!"

But as they say in Hollywood - and out in the middle of the ocean - the show must go on!

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, my camera does not. A combination of a swaying ship, seats near the back of the theater(re), fast action and a less that ideal lens and I have very few pictures of the show. Which is a bummer, because it was a really good show.

The premise is that the Golden Mickeys (think Academy Awards without the copyright infringement of using the word "Oscar") is an award show to be hosted by the Captain. However, he is unavailable and stage manager "Ensign Benson" must, despite her fear of public performances and the spotlight, must take his place. As host. Not as captain. I want someone with experience driving the ship.

Ensign Benson gets encouragement and advice from several people, including the head of the Walt Disney Company. Wait, that's Mickey. Make that the second in command of the Walt Disney Company, CEO Bob Iger - "live" via satellite.

The show presents awards for such Disney-fied categories as Heroism, Music, Villians, Frendship, and Romance. Each category has some great song and dance numbers from Disney films such as Snow White, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Tarzan, Mulan, The Little Mermaid, 101 Dalmatians, Toy Story, etc. Even Tangled makes and appearance.

I did get a few decent shots of the ending when the performers were standing still just long enough for me to snap a few pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And wouldn't you know it, Ensign Benson rose up to the challenge, faced her fears and did a wonderful job as host. I love a happy ending!

We joined the heard of people moving out of the theatre(er) and headed down the flight of stairs to our stateroom. We fell into bed (well, Madison had to climb, but then she sort of fell off the ladder into bed), exhausted after our first day on the ship. The boat was still rocking in the heavy seas, but instead of keeping any of us up sick, it gently rocked us to sleep....

UP NEXT: Halloween on the High Seas and our first port of call.

15. FreezinRafiki

:rotfl2::lmao::rotfl:

16. amandaw

amandaw DIS Veteran

I'm so sad that we missed the Golden Mickeys on our 1st night. But, we were just too tired to go. We put it on the TV in our room but we all fell asleep too quickly. It seems like it's a really cute show. Hopefully, they'll have it on the Fantasy next year.

Love all the pictures - especially the Mickeyed bathroom. :goodvibes

17. Captain_Oblivious

Captain_Oblivious DIS Dad #257

I'm not sure this is accurate. I expected to see you fighting for a turn in the top bunk as well. :confused3

:rotfl2: Agreed.

With the gloves on?! That's impressive.

:thumbsup2 Cool.

Sounds snooty. Next you'll tell me Disney is just making up their own words, like "fantasmic" or "animatronic" or some such nonsense.

In a theatre? Shouldn't it be caviar or something? :crazy2:

::yes:: Those guys (and gals) are amazing.

I don't remember being invited to host a show.

:rotfl2:

Great, thanks for giving away the shocking twist. :sad2:

18. middlepat

middlepat Dis Dad Member #325

Nice update oh Frozen one.

The show sounds great, even if its a complete rip off of Billy Crystal's hosting abilitities. :rotfl2:

As for the bathroom pics, am I the only one who's a little freaked out that there are complete strangers (or in this case completely strange people) taking pictures of the inside of the bathroom? :confused3

Looking forward to the next update to see what ghoulish things can appear on the high seas! :thumbsup2

19. afwdwfan

afwdwfan DIS Dad #460

Well, that would have been funny too... but then you'd have to try to discipline her without laughing.

Wait a minute... you graduated???? :eek:

Was he any good?:confused3

:thumbsup2

Looks like it was a great show, and it was followed by a relaxing end to the day.

20. shan23877

shan23877 I make lists about my lists

I've heard great things about the Golden Mickeys! Glad that your family enjoyed it too.

Must have been a fancy theater(e). I make it a point to avoid shop(pe)s on principle. :lmao:

How cute to see Goofy playing piano! And, I love that Mickeyed bathroom.

21. GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes

Andy has it right. It’d be pointless now, but the idea then was to make it hard to
    identify a silhouette or accurately determine course, speed or size (specifically when looking through a periscope).

As for the “logic” behind the last one… I think Mark has that one figured…

:lmao: :lmao: :rotfl2:

Now then…
    On to the latest update

Here, let me fix that for you...
    There… that’s more like it.

You graduated!!
    I always suspected that your were “asked” to leave
    (for the good of the school of course)

Cool! I suspect that with those big ol’ club fingers it sounded a little like “Kitten on the Keys” or more rather “Goofy on the keys”

But still fun to find.

Bathroom pictures!
    Now it’s a true Freezin’ TR

Win !

Naaaa… they just didn’t spell it in American.
    It’s an international ship ya’ know.

But it still is a “fancy” place so you did remember to hold your pinky out while eating the popcorn… right?

Nice :thumbsup2

It might have been Goofy though.
    That would explain why it was rocking so wildly.

There are others only if my wallet just ain’t full enough.

Goofy has experience… just not successful experience

How Disney.
    I’ve seen that one several times (just like I’ve seen nearly every attraction at WDW several times), and yet it’s still an enjoyable evening. Every time.

That’s how I feel on ships. I rather like the motion.
    Oddly though I can’t sleep on airplanes or in a wheeled vehicle near as well.