You’re writing a TR? Really? (Christmas at POR, 2010)

Chapter 8 – Day-5

- Part 9: Decisions, Decisions…

Germany was the next number on the hit parade and of course the first thing you encounter when traversing the loop from a northwesterly direction, is the wonderful train garden (and decorated for the holidays no less).

D5-066.jpg

D5-067.jpg

D5-068.jpg

Personally, I could stand here for a good long while and just watch all the goings on in this lovely little microcosm. Everyone else would likely get board pretty quickly though, so it was time to move on. We’d already rummaged through the shops here the day before, so no one was really looking for anything specific, with one exception. When presented with the chance to stop by this pavilion, I do like to stop and pick up a couple of sweets. Specifically… a couple of these:

reberchocolate3.jpg

It’s a type of chocolate truffle called a “Mozartkugel” or “Mozart Kugel”. They’re not everyone’s cup of tea (to be sure) as they have a very strongly flavored pistachio and hazelnut center. But then again, I rather like strong flavors. The taste reminds one almost of bourbon truffles. Yet they don’t have any alcohol in them. The other reason that I like to grab a couple of these is a bit more sentimental. I have a relatively uncommon family name and it just happens to be the same as the name of the company that makes these puppies. It’s not every day I see anything with my last name plastered on it, so it tends to catch my attention. I can actually find mozartkugels in some of the import stores and a couple of the better stocked specialty markets, but somehow or other, they just taste a whole lot better when you can pick ‘em up at Epcot.

Since we had better light at this time of day then the previous evening, I decided to snap a couple more pictures of the trim work before we headed on down the way.

D5-070.jpg

D5-071.jpg

We wouldn’t catch the storyteller here (or any of the others this day I’m afraid), but here’s a shot of the scroll set up by her little stage…

D5-073.jpg

…and just to make it a whole lot easier to read, here is the text from said scroll:

The German Yuletide season is a magical time when friends and family
Celebrate together!
Many of Germany’s rich customs and traditions of the season have
Been adopted all over the world.

It was Germany who produced the first Tannenbaum (Christmas tree).
According to legend, while walking in the woods one snowy evening
Martin Luther was overcome by beauty of the starlight sparkling
On the fir trees. As the light form the heavens shown all around him,
He was reminded of the star that shown on the night the
Christkindl (Christ child) was born. He wanted to share the magic
With his children, so he brought home the fir tree form the forest.
He even fashioned a way to clip candles on the tree to make it look as
Though the branches were covered in glistening snow.

On Heiligabend (Christmas Eve), German parents secretly decorate
The tannenbaum with candles, nuts, glass baubles
And twinkling lights.
A bell is rung, the tannenbaum is
Presented, and the children race to open
Presents and snatch the
Goodies for the tree.​

It was about here that we made the monumental mistake of looking at a clock. According to the numbers that Mickey was currently pointing at, it was already past lunchtime and heading on toward the time we really needed to be getting on the road (which is why we weren’t going to catch any more of the stories this day). As it was, we now had a couple of decisions that needed to be made. The main one really got made for us. Given the choice of taking our time in the last few pavilions, or moving more quickly, we’d like to have gone with option one. Option two, however, was really the only sensible plan of action with an eight-ish hour drive looming ahead of us. As or the second decision… we still had two counter service credits left on the DP, but none of us really had a taste for anything specific. It was decided that we’d just make our way on around the rest of the World Showcase and see if anything struck anyone’s fancy. If nothing stood out, we’d make our last stand at Disney dining over at the Electric Umbrella in Future World (which is ultimately where we’d end up this time around).

Chapter 8 – Day-5

- Part 10: The Rest of the World

We made our way back toward the front of the park, trying to find something food wise that would sit well with everyone in the group. As nothing was really striking anyone, we pretty much just kept moving. Along the way more pictures got snapped (and that means that the rest of this post will be dominated by those images)

First, a little bit of China:

D5-074.jpg

D5-076.jpg

D5-075.jpg

The scroll for the Chinese storyteller:
D5-077.jpg

And the “translation” for the optically impaired:

The story of Sun hou-kong, the monkey king,
Is an ancent Chinese legend that tell an
Exciting tale of redemption and enlightenment.

Sun hou-kong, a monkey raised by humans, became the
Monkey King when he single-handedly defeated a horrific monster in
His homeland. Afterwards the Monkey King acquired incredible
Powers when he cleverly uprooted a magic stick guarded by the
Dragon King.
With this stick and the ability to just about anything,
The Monkey King started to look for adventure and mischief.
Buddha was not pleased with this abuse of power and decided to seal
The Monkey King inside a mountain for eternity.
The Monkey King quickly realized the error of his ways!
Fortunately a monk named Thang Seng believed in the Monkey King’s
Redemption and asked Buddha to release him.
The Monkey King was then asked to join Thang Seng on a journey to
India to bring back Buddha’s original teaching texts.
The Monkey King proved to be a loyal
Comrade to Thang Seng.
Like many holiday legends, this heartfelt
Story sends an important
Message of hope.​

Then, a little bit of Norway

D5-078.jpg

D5-079.jpg

All that is left of what was once a really cool kid’s playground :sad2:
D5-081.jpg

And the scroll for the Norwegian storytellers: “Sigrid and Julenissen”
D5-080.jpg

It is our understanding that these two folks are very funny and entertaining, but alas… we missed this one as well. Such is life. Oh, by the way… here’s the text for the story line:

Christmas is a festive time in the “Land of the Midnight Sun”.

On Christmas Eve farm animals are traditionally treated to the
Finest oats and barley. Birds are remembered during julenek,
Where they are offered large sheaves of grain placed high on
Spruce poles. After darkness, it’s “lights out” as homes are
Illuminated by only the warm glow of candlelight.

An elf-like gnome named Julenissen lives in the wood and barns
Across the countryside. Julenissen is the guardian of every
Families welfare, so children leave a steaming bowl of porridge
In the hayloft during the holiday period to thank Julenissen.

On Christmas Day, many attend church before spending time
Quietly at home with family members.
On Second Christmas Day, children celebrate julbukke by
Dressing up in costumes and going door-to-door for goodies.​

And of course, what other country would one encounter upon heading north from Nowray then… ta-daaaaaa… Mexico (there must be something wrong with my memory… I swear that’s not the way they taught it to me in school).

D5-082.jpg

One of my favorite pictures from the trip
D5-084.jpg

Well… I kind’a like this one too
D5-085.jpg

The scroll for the story told by The Three Kings:
D5-083.jpg

And as if you didn’t see it coming, the text from said scroll:

Beautiful candlelight processions, happy sounds of children
Laughing, and sweet smells of the season make Christmas in Mexico
A magical meaningful time of community.

In Maxico, Christmas is called La Navidad and its main celebration
Is La Posadas, which meads “inn”. During La Posadas Mexican
Families recreate the journey of Mary and Joseph seeking shelter in
Bethlehem. For nine nights beginning December 16, Mexican
Children dress up like the holey family and visit their neighbors as
Part of a candlelight procession. Beautifully carved nacimientos
(nativity scenes) are displayed in homes.
Prayers and festivities begin when the procession of
Mary and Joseph is welcomed in.

On January 6, the day the Three Kings arrived in Bethlehem,
Bringing gifts to the baby Jesus, Mexican children leave their shoes on
The doorsteps in a special celebration called Dia De Los Tres Reyes
(Three Kings Day). When the children awake the next morning,
Thery are delighted to discover wonderful toys and gifts in and
Around their shoes.​

This is the last thing I saw as we were heading out of the World Showcase

D5-086.jpg

Somehow this seemed to be an oddly fitting site as a marker of the “end” of this day’s journey through the showcase. As a character, Duffy is just something that I don’t quite get. Then again, he wasn’t developed for the American market and there is much about Asian tastes and marketing that tend to elude me. Ehhh… what the heck… If he makes other smile, who am I to throw disparaging remarks in his direction.

Don't have much time to comment right now, but I'm all caught up and enjoying the World Tour! :thumbsup2

Thanks Mark and again thanks for following along (I’m almost done with this one I promise).

Joining in. Luvin the pics

Howdy!!! And…
:welcome:

Thanks for signing on to be part of the crew. Actually I’m just about to finish this one up in the next couple of posts, but…

I will be starting my next attempt at trip reporting immediately afterward. I will put a link to the new TR in my last “official” post for this one (and probably on the first page as well). I hope you’ll join the new one, and that goes for the rest of y’all as well.

If’’n y’all could survive this TR, ya’ can survive anything, so ya’ got’s nothin’ to loose now do ya’?

Chapter 8 – Day-5

- Part 11: Wrap it up

Before I get started on the last part of the last day… here’s the stories for the two pavilions that we passed up earlier in the morning.

First: Morocco

Two major holidays of Morocco are Eid al-fitr and Eid al-Adha.

One of Morocco's holiest celebrations is the moth of Ramadan,
which commemorates the month in which Allah revealed to
the Muslin People, the Holy book, The Quran.
During the month of Ramadan, Muslims observe a strict fast and participate in various
activities including charitable giving and peace-making. It is a time of intense spiritual
renewal for those who observe it. At the end of Ramadan, Muslims throughout the
world observe a joyous three-day celebration called
Eid al-Fitr, the Festival of Fast-Breaking.
Eid al-Fitr falls on the first day of Shawwal, the moth which follows Ramadan in the
Islamic calendar. It is a time to give charity to those in need, and celebrate with family
and friends the completion of a month of blessings and joy.

On the 10th day of Zul-Hijjah, the last month of the Islamic calendar, Muslims around
the world celebrate Eid al-Adha, the Festival of the Sacrifice.

People of Morocco also celebrate Ashura.
The word "Ashura" literally means "10th", as is it on the 10th day of Muharram, the first
month of the Islamic year. Ashura is an ancient observance that is now recognized for
different reasons and in different ways among Muslims. In Morocco, one of the most
beautiful traditions of Ashura happens after teh
sunset. On the night of Ashura, families join
together to eat traditional Moroccan dishes and
sweets. Kids are given gifts, toys, sweets, and
often a special drum called a taarija. From the
largest cities to the smallest, bonfires are built by
children who sing and dance around it all night.
People of Morocco celebrate the joy, color, and
traditions of the Feast of Ashura."​

The other pavilion that we just passed through was Japan.
I haven’t been able to come up with a readable copy of the scroll for the Japanese storyteller, but I did find this explanation of the story being told:

O Shogatsu, a Daruma doll street vendor,
tells the story of a New Years tradition observed by some Japanese.
The Daruma doll is a symbol of perseverance and good luck in Japan.
As part of New Year's celebration, Daruma dolls are given as a gift of encouragement.
The dolls when purchased do not have eyes painted on them.
When the holder of the Daruma doll commits to attain a goal or a big task
one eye is painted.
The other eye is painted only when the goal is achieved
or the task accomplished.

So, the Daruma doll serves as both a reminder and
a source of encouragement.​

Alright… I guess it’s time to get back on topic. Having made our way back into Future World without really finding anything that just screamed out at us from a lunch perspective, we trekked on into the “Bumbershoot” and took a look at the menu.

electric_umbrella_restaurant2.jpg

Honestly I’d never stopped in here for lunch before and wasn’t expecting much, but I was surprised to find a relatively wide range of choices. This spot on the WDW food map kind’a resembles Cosmic Ray’s over at MK in so much and there isn’t anything “exotic” but there’s a good bit to choose from. We ended up with a couple of different sandwiches, fries, and a couple of unexpectedly good cookies. Not bad really, so I’ll just have to keep this spot in mind for future reference.

Chapter 8 – Day-5

- Part 12: North

After that last little nosh, there was just enough time for one more quick trip through Mouse Gear. We picked up a couple of minor do-lollies and used up the remaining snack credits on a few bags of cashews (not a particularly exciting snack to most folks, but they travel well and we all love to nibble on ‘em). But now there was no avoiding it… It was time to go.

Here’s the last couple of pictures that we snapped on the way back out to the car:

D5-087.jpg

D5-088.jpg

D5-089.jpg

That final walk out of your last park of the trip or away form your resort and toward the journey home is always a bit melancholy. As we walked back out toward the car, I was looking forward to getting home and flopping down in my own bed, but I also really wanted to stay at Disney just one more day (OK… another month would have been good by me, but what’cha goin’a do). Since we’d driven over that morning, there were no more lines to stand in and no more modes of transportation that needed to be navigated. We just walked out to the parking lot, snapped our last couple of pictures and climbed into our waiting chariot.

The drive home was pretty smooth. I didn’t encounter any heavy traffic and not very many goofy drivers. We made good time up I-4 and I-95 toward and then across the St Marys River. Gasoline and a bit of fast-food for dinner were on the agenda about midway through Georgia. Shortly after that, we crossed over Savannah’s lovely river and we were back in the Palmetto state. Home state yes, home town… not quite. We still had to traverse the entire expanse of low-lands, sand-hills and piedmont that make up this little chunk of the southeastern US. The directions are simple enough: I-95 North to I-26 West to I-77 North. After that you just aim for the second star to the right and head straight on till morning. If, perchance, you actually cross over into that other Carolina, it means that you done went and got your self a case of highway hypnosis which caused you to miss the exit by about five miles (so you’ll be needin’ to turn around and head on back a little bit there).

We pulled into the garage of our humble abode a couple of hours before my normal bed time and found that all was well. The cat required a little bit of undivided attention as he hadn’t seen us in a few days, but other then that… all was well. We had the bags out of the trunk and pulled into the house in no time at all, and then it was time to collapse on my own bed for a long restful nights sleep.

The next day was Christmas Eve and the official beginning of the holiday time to be spent with the extended family. We’d even be greeted by a rare event in our neck of the woods: a bit of Christmas Day Snow…

Z01-001.jpg

Z01-002.jpg

Z01-003.jpg

Z01-004.jpg

And with that, our Disney Christmas adventure had come and gone. This small speck on the time line of our lives has now been consigned to warm fuzzy memory, but there are far more and even greater adventures to come.

Heck… Just being able to get up each day is a blessing and a gift not to be ignored.

That’s all Folks…

I hope you enjoyed the ride at least a little bit. Lord knows we enjoyed being the subjects of the story. But all good things (and even some bad ones) must come to an end. If you liked what you read here even a smidgen, than I'd like to invite you to come on over and join my new TR already in progress. I can’t promise that it will become a literary classic, but I can promise that I will write it.

So just in case you have nothing at all better to do, just click on this little ol’ link thing-a-ma-bob ri’cheer:

Experiment-627: A Caribbean Double with a Wilderness Chaser (Summer 2011)

Disney-Christmas-christmas-16660871-425-553.jpg

See ya’ real soon!!!

Germany was the next number on the hit parade and of course the first thing you encounter when traversing the loop from a northwesterly direction, is the wonderful train garden (and decorated for the holidays no less).
I always enjoy the train garden. The amount of detail they put in it is just amazing.

It was about here that we made the monumental mistake of looking at a clock. According to the numbers that Mickey was currently pointing at, it was already past lunchtime and heading on toward the time we really needed to be getting on the road
I might have actually been mad at Mickey for being the bearer of bad news. I'd probably have gotten over it pretty quickly though. It's hard to stay mad at that mouse.:lmao:

And of course, what other country would one encounter upon heading north from Nowray then… ta-daaaaaa… Mexico (there must be something wrong with my memory… I swear that’s not the way they taught it to me in school).
The most commonly forgotten scandinavian country.:rotfl2::lmao: I hear the Mexian fjords are quite breathtaking though.

Honestly I’d never stopped in here for lunch before and wasn’t expecting much, but I was surprised to find a relatively wide range of choices. This spot on the WDW food map kind’a resembles Cosmic Ray’s over at MK in so much and there isn’t anything “exotic” but there’s a good bit to choose from. We ended up with a couple of different sandwiches, fries, and a couple of unexpectedly good cookies. Not bad really, so I’ll just have to keep this spot in mind for future reference.
Yeah, I like the umbrella. I guess it isn't one of the counter service places that I'd put on a list that I have to visit every time, but if I'm in the area and hungry, it is always worth a visit.

That final walk out of your last park of the trip or away form your resort and toward the journey home is always a bit melancholy.
It is amazing. Some of the most vivid memories I have of Disney trips from my childhood are of that last little bit of time as we're getting ready to leave the park. Always a feeling that is hard to describe, and it is still a feeling I have to this day.

I hope you enjoyed the ride at least a little bit. Lord knows we enjoyed being the subjects of the story.
Sure did enjoy it! Thank you for sharing with us.

I'd like to invite you to come on over and join my new TR already in progress.
D'oh! I'm already behind there too???? Weekends just kill my DISboards time.

I can’t promise that it will become a literary classic, but I can promise that I will write it.
:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl: I'm sure it will be fine.

I might have actually been mad at Mickey for being the bearer of bad news. I'd probably have gotten over it pretty quickly though. It's hard to stay mad at that mouse.:lmao:

So true… :rotfl2:

The most commonly forgotten scandinavian country.:rotfl2::lmao: I hear the Mexian fjords are quite breathtaking though.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Sure did enjoy it! Thank you for sharing with us.

Thanks for following along (and for keeping me honest in the process). :goodvibes

Looking forward to hearing from you in the next one as well.

Nicely done, Rob. I enjoyed re-living the trip with you. And I agree on Electric Umbrella. Not the most exotic menu, but I really enjoyed sitting outside with my meatball sandwich and watching the fountain show.

Now on to the next adventure!

(Oh, and Andy's comment about Mexican fjords made me LOL). :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!