Yo ho ho, a pirate life for me & me crew at MNSSHP (long overdue first trip report )

Discussion in 'Completed Trip Reports' started by Alexsandra, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Alexsandra

Alexsandra Ready for the next adventure

Avast ye mateys,
    Capn' Elizabeth Longmonger (aka Alexsandra) here with me first trip report ever! Thought yer'd like to hear 'bout me trip last Sept. With the MNSSHP approchin' maybe ye can learn sometin' from me own experience.

First let me introduce me crew
    [​IMG]
    pirate:Me-self: Alexsandra (in the foreground holding the baby)
    pirate:Me husband: John (in the middle)
    pirate:Me baby: Jonah (15 months old)
    pirate:Me son: Kheo (4 years old)
    pirate:Me parents-in-law: Hélène and André

That is just about as much pirate talk I can handle so I'll just switch to regular english for my sake and yours!;)

So before I start this trip report I am going to apologize for posting so long after the fact but I never got around to doing so. Since I keep seeing a lot of mention of the MNSSHP these days I thought I would finally get my trip report written so that other might benefit from my experience and get to see some of my pics.

It all started with our last trip in Feb. 2011. My husband and I brought the kids to WDW and I officially fell in love! Yes, I was hooked for good! I came back from that trip only dreaming to go back ASAP!
    As I kept trying to convince my husband to go back, I kept searching for flights on Aeroplan (point system with Air Canada). We accumulate lots of points each year and found six tickets (direct flights) for Sept. So we called John's folks and asked them if they would like to come along. They had dreamed of taking a vacation with the kids and had mentioned this many times. Well now, why not offer to pay for their tickets and go to the most magical place on earth.
    They were happy that we offered and could not give us an answer right away so we waited. One day later they called us back to announce that they were coming but unfortunately we lost the tickets (that happens often with booking on points, when you see a deal, you have to jump on it!)
    Even though I was really disappointed, my husband found a flight with one stop-over in Newark and a direct flight on the way back. So I reluctantly agreed to go for it. Don't get me wrong, if it was just us adults, no problem right! But when traveling with a 15 month old and a 4 year old a stop-over can be a real nightmare.:sad2:

Well it was just that!

The night before the flight my parents-in-law came to sleep at our place because they live about 2 1/2 hours away from the airport. Our flight was at 8AM so we all woke up at 4AM and threw the sleepy kids (and adults) into the car and headed to the airport. When we got to the check-in counter at 5AM, the lady told us that the flight had been canceled at 3AM and was rescheduled for the next day!
    "Did you not get a phone call?" she asked
    NO WE DID NOT! :mad:
    With a bit of polite arguing/persuasion my husband got us on a flight at 10:30AM for Newark and at 6PM from there to MCO. At first the lady said we had to return home and come back tomorrow. :headache: But my husband insited she check, if there wasn't a flight avail. at a later time. So the lady reluctantly did so and low and behold, there was a later flight avail. I don't know if if it is just laziness or indifference on her part but it seems like these days, good customer service is really lacking especially in the airline industry. If we would have just listened to her and gone home, we would have lost a day of vacation, wasted our park tickets and had to pay room and board for one night: a waste of time and money! Just by insisting to check, we were able to get to our destination, even if it was at a later time!

Now I did not mention that my oldest seemed to have come down with a fever and was not feeling well throughout the day. I gave him Tylenol every four hours but being on a plane and in airports is not very fun when you are sick.:sick:

The flight to Newark went ok but my boys got really rowdy in the plane.

[​IMG]

Fun, fun fun!
    Once in Newark airport, we were all hungry and decided to somewhere to sit and eat while waiting for our next flight. The airport was huge and it took us forever to walk to the food section.

[​IMG]

Finally we found a diner type restaurant that the kids were attracted to: we had milkshakes and some grub!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. nickymaria

nickymaria Mouseketeer

Oooh! Subbing! We're off to our first MNSSHP this October so I am very excited to hear all about it (and I like your intro!) Looking forward to reading more!

4. Alexsandra

Thank you nickymaria!
    Welcome

5. Alexsandra

So our flight at Newark was delayed an hour or so...bummer! But we managed to get onto the plane and we finally arrived at our destination just before 10pm. We just made it to get luggage delivery at the hotel. Thank goodness for that. We were so exhausted from our day, I really didn't feel like waiting to retrieve our luggage.

We headed over to the magic express line where they scanned our tickets and directed us towards the lineup for the appropriate shuttle bus. We waited a good half hour before the bus got there and the kids had fallen asleep in their strollers.
    The Port Orleans bus finally arrived and we were on our way! We got to POFQ close to 11:30. By this time, my legs were shaking and I couldn't even see straight. I waited to check-in, there was only one clerk and 2 people in front of me. It seemed to take forever (but like I said I was so tired everything seemed to be in slow motion.) I finally got to the clerk, a really nice lady who has been working for WDW for 40 years. She was a real gem.

I was happy to hear that I was placed in the building 5 (the one I had requested) but my Parents-in-law where place in a different building. Since we had requested connecting rooms, she went to speak her manager and came back to give me the great news. We were upgraded to river view rooms in building five. :cool1: There is a silver lining at the end of the rainbow! She told us that our Garden Grocer order had arrived and that it would be delivered to our room right away. We made our way to our room tired but happy to finally be here.

The next morning, we woke up to a gorgeous view and made our way to the bus stop. The resort is quite small and it took us less than a minute to get to the main building.:) I love the New Orleans touches and the cobble stone path leading to the main building. I did not expect to like this resort as much as I did but it was pleasantly charming and very cosy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Though guys! That is men for you, I asked them to pose in front of POFQ and this is the face they make...figures

6. 3tiggerstoo

3tiggerstoo Mouseketeer

Looking forward to hearing about MNSSHP! We're going this October. Great start!

7. LauraLap

LauraLap DIS Veteran

Looking forward to hearing more!

8. tinkerbellmagic

tinkerbellmagic don't hate me because I loved the castle cake

Great start! Can't wait to read more. :)
    The view of the river is gorgeous. We stayed at POR 2x and have always loved that walk along the river. What a bummer about the flights. Good thing your hubby insisted the airline check for later flights. You sure had a long first day of traveling, but everyone looks happy in the pics! Great attitudes!
    :thumbsup2

9. Alexsandra

The bus arrived promptly and we were on way to MK for our early ADR at Crystal Palace. We love being able to get into the park before it opens and walk around take pictures without all the crowds. We got to Mk around 8AM and went to the ADR line. They let us in about 10 min. later.

[​IMG]
    Here we are waiting to get in.

As we walked in, I was excited to see the park all decorated for Halloween and it made me that more anxious for my MNSSHP night! So we made our way down main street towards the castle and got some great shots of the park.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My husband with his parents

I can't tell you how pretty Crystal palace is in the early morning. With its victorian charm and impressive glass roof. My family loves this place! Here are a few pics of the outside

[​IMG]
    Helene with the restaurant in the background

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are a few pics of the inside:

[​IMG]
    Glass roof

[​IMG]
    victorian decor

[​IMG]

Once they called our name, we were seated not too far from the buffet. as soon as Jonah (18 months) caught a glimps of the first characters (Winnie the Pooh) it was all ooohs, and ahhs. He was fascinated! It was so cute! Since Kheo and I have food allergies (him to tree nuts and I to anise) we waited for the chef to come out to talk to us. He was really great and showed us what to avoid on the buffet and what was safe. But since Kheo only wanted eggs, fruit and yogurt that was not problem and anise was not used in any of the food either... cool.

[​IMG]

The first character to our table was Eeor. Kheo was thrilled as you can see in the picture below! The baby...not so much!. He only liked seeing the character from a distance. As soon as the giant donkey approached he was terrified and grabbed on to me like if Eeor was going to eat him. It was kind of funny (oh I'm such a bad mom!) I meant it was kinda cute and all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As soon as Eeor left we all raced to the buffet so we would not miss any of the other characters. The buffet was plentiful and had a nice variety of fruit, baked goods, and the usual american fare. I love their puffed french toast in the kids sections. It tastes kind of like a donut, the way they make them in Italy. Anyway, all the food is good here and we all enjoyed our meal.

[​IMG]
    fresh fruit and cold cuts bar

[​IMG]
    puffed french toast on left (drool...oups sorry about that!)

[​IMG]
    baked goods (yummy coffee cake)

Sorry didn't get any pics of the hot servings. My husband loves their vegetable sausage fritatta.

So once seated, we had another visitor Tiger. You can see in the following picture how happy Jonah is to see him! Well so much for a nice family pic of us with the characters.

[​IMG]

What a difference from the previous trip. In the following pic Jonah was 8 months old and very much happy to meet Tiger.
    [​IMG]

After that came Pooh and finally Piglet. That was a great ending to a wonderful character breakfast. What a great start to our vacation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When we got out we took one more picture of the family in front of the castle before the mob of heavy crowds overtook the park.

[​IMG]

10. Alexsandra

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I don't really know what I'm doing, this being my first trip report, but I figure make it short and sweet and put loads of pictures. That is the way I like it!

As for the flights, we tried to stay positive but I won't lie, I was really starting to think the trip was cursed by the end of that travel day. That is until I got upgraded to a river view! :thumbsup2. Then it was all uphill from there.

11. love2pugs

love2pugs Mouseketeer

Your report is great....My DD and I will be going to our first MNSSHP...can't wait to see your pictures.

12. Alexsandra

After our little photo session, we walked through the castle to get to Fantasy Land. First up, Dumbo the Flying Elephant.

[​IMG]
    There is my husband with the kids.

And don't forget the classic Spinning Teacups
    [​IMG]

After PhilarMagic we needed to head back to Main Street USA for the kids appointment at Harmony Barber Shop. On the way, we met Cinderella's evil twin sisters, her evil step-mother and the fairy god-mother.

[​IMG]

13. Alexsandra

Sorry I haven't added more pics, spent the whole day in the hospital. The medicare service here i Canada is so bad.

Ok so back to my trip report. Where was I? Oh ya, I was in MK heading to Harmony Barber Shop. I had made an apt. for 11:00 AM for both kids on the first day of our trip. It was Jonah's first haircut, and I thought it would be special to get it done at WDW. I had called about 2 months ahead of time to make my appointment. I had booked both Jonah and Kheo at the same time. For those of you who had never noticed, the barber shop is located right next to City hall, tucked between the car barn and the Emporium. You can't miss its signature candy-striped pole. Cool photo op.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As we walked in we gave our names and had to wait about 5 min. I was surprised to see how small this place was but that is what made it charming and nostalgic. There are only two hairdressing stations. The two hairdressers/barbers that cut my children's hair were wonderful and did an excellent job keeping them calm and amused throughout the cut. They gave them a spinning toy to keep them busy and tons of Mickey stickers. They offered to put glitter on Kheo's hair but he was really not interested: "that is for girls" he answered her.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the end they gave Jonah Mickey ears with the words:"first haircut" written on the back and a certificate announcing the date. They also gave me a envelope with his lock of hair. IT was quite special and it made for a wonderful memory. The "barbers" were really professional and gave both my kids great haircuts. I was very pleased with this experience and would highly recommend it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Alexsandra

When then went walking around on Main Street. We saw Mary Poppins and Grand-pa played a game of checkers with Kheo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We headed over back to Fantasyland to ride the all famous "It's a Small World". The baby couldn't get enough. We loved all the bright colored puppets and wonderful little song.

[​IMG]
    Daddy with his sons

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lunch time! We got out of the hot sun and went to Colombia Harbour House. I ordered my favorite sandwich "The Lighthouse sandwich"...so addictive!

[​IMG]

By now the kids were exhausted and it was time to head to the resort for a small afternoon nap. On the way, Grand-ma got Kheo a little gift. A super cool Mickey balloon. It made his day!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here I am with my son Jonah in front of the train station on our way out.

[​IMG]

After our little rest, we had reservation at Ohana' for dinner and headed to Magic KIngdom by bus and hopped on to the monorail. The kids loved riding the monorail as much as any ride in the parks!
    We check in at the front desk of the restaurant and then had time to take a few pics in the Polynesian themed lobby.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They finally called our name and we were seated next to a window not too far from the fire pit. THese were great seats. :cool1:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The fire pit.

[​IMG]
    cool Polynesian decor

[​IMG]
    Jonah waiting for his food.

My son has a hazelnut allergy and I to aniseed, so the chef came out to talk to us. I don't remember his name but he was so nice. I could not touch the appetizer so he insisted to make me a fresh batch of chicken wings (without aniseed). I've never tasted such good chicken wings in my life! :worship:

[​IMG]
    The plate of appetizers for the rest of the family. (My chicken wings were served separately.)

Next came coconut bread, salad, stir fried noodles, vegetables while the waiters walked around serving the skewered meats and grilled shrimp. I could eat the chicken and shrimp only and could not eat any of the special sauces but that was plenty.

[​IMG]

Oh don't forgets drinks.

[​IMG]

As we ate there was a performer who was singing POlynesian songs. She then invited all the children to come join her to do the hula dance. IT was so cute. Kheo was shy so I had to join him.

[​IMG]

And to finish off the evening the infamous bread pudding served with a huge ball of vanilla ice cream and topped with banana foster sauce. Oh yeah!:)

We then went back to Magic Kingdom just in time to see the electric parade which was just breathtaking. This was my kids favorite part of their trip trip.
    I took a picture but it doesn't not do it justice.

[​IMG]

We left right after the parade, before Wishes to avoid crowds because my kids couldn't keep their eyes open any longer.

What a great first day we had! It was just magical.

15. LarryFmScotland

LarryFmScotland Mouseketeer

Loved the haircut segment. This is a super report I'm enjoying it very much.

Cheers Larry.

16. Alexsandra

Thanks Larry, I appreciate it!

17. Alexsandra

We started our day early, with breakfast in the room. I always order groceries from Garden grocer and find that feeding the kids before we hit the park keeps them happy 'till lunch time. The grand-parents fed the baby while I got ready. (Free babysitters, bonus!) ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Kheo playing with his balloon.

We tried to catch the bus to get to Hollywood Studios at rope drop, but got there 10 min. late. We made our way towards Toy Story to get fast passes but stopped along the way for some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After getting a fast pass we circled around the back towards the Streets of America to get to Star Tours. My son is a huge Star Wars fan (so are we but at a lesser degree) and he was dying to go on this ride so it had to be our first stop. Outside the ride there was a giant walker!? (Don't know if that is what they are called) and Kheo freaked out when he saw it. :hyper:

[​IMG]
    Streets of America

[​IMG]
    Star Tours

[​IMG]
    Dad, Kheo and the "moonwalker" (more like its feet):laughing:

Once inside, the line to get into the ride was just as exciting as the ride itself for my little guy. There was a spaceship with R2D2, there was C3P0 fixing something and a little robot telling us what to do.

[​IMG]
    MY son with his 3D glasses

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sorry it was dark in there

[​IMG]

The ride was really well done and my son was in heaven the whole time. :love: We came out to find a Storm Trooper waiting to take a picture with us. How lucky. Then onto the flying pod for some more pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While we did all this, the grand-parents took little Jonah for a walk around the park. They said he got all excited when he saw the Dinosaur and the waterfall in echo lake. They took these pics of him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Alexsandra

Kheo second love was Lightning McQueen from the movie Cars. SO we had to go and visit him and Mater at Luigi's Garage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up, lunch time. The heat had become almost unbearable now and I was really happy that I had made reservations at Sci-Fi Dine Inn Theater for lunch. Unfortunately I soon regretted my choice.
    We waited about 15-20 min. to be seated but were happy to be indoors with AC. Once seated I was kind of disgusted to see that they placed us right next to a table where someone had been sick. There was a mess on the floor and they had just put scott towels on it and told us to make sure to not step in it. :eek: I could not believe how long it took them to finally come and clean it up (30 min.) First, I would have expected a place like Disney to have been more professional and have cleaned up the mess quickly and discretely. And I would have preferred waiting to be seated while they clean it up. It took my appetite away.
    Anyway, the chef finally came to our table to discuss our allergy-free choices after waiting for another 20 min. He was kind of rude and I felt like I was bothering him but hey, I was just grateful that we could again have a care-free meal without worrying about my son going into anaphylactic shock. My other complaint was that it was way too dark in there. We could not even see the menu, let alone our food.

[​IMG]

I ordered ribs with a side of vegetables, instead of fries. They were ok but nothing special. I found them to be too saucy and tasted like they were boiled. I also ordered a cookies and cream milkshake that was really good but it froze me to the bone. (The AC in there is so powerful, we were all wearing our sweaters and still froze). My husband had his favorite Tofu dish and my parents-in-law had the shrimp pasta. They all loved their meal so I guess I was just unlucky. My dessert was ok: the apple cobbler topped with ice cream. It tasted a little processed but I could live with that. Lets just say that I was not going to be visiting Sci-Fi again in the near future.

[​IMG]
    Ribs

[​IMG]
    Tofu dish

[​IMG]
    Apple cobbler

After lunch, our Fast Pass Time for Toy Story Mania was ready so we made our way to Toy Land. My husband and son love this ride since it is like an interactive video game. I like it too but find it a little overrated. Anyway, we all enjoyed it nonetheless.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now it was time for the kids to take a little nap so back to the resort we went. We woke up to find it was raining so we pulled out a couple of chairs on the balcony and just sat and enjoyed the rain and the view of the river.

[​IMG]

Since it was still raining (lightly), we decided to spend the rest of the evening exploring the grounds of the resort and visiting Riverside next door for dinner. So we all put on our raincoats and took the path along the river towards POR. I have to say that I was really taken back by the beauty of the this place. The ground's landscapes were breathtaking and we really enjoyed our walk over there.

[​IMG]
    The path along the river

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The lamp post on POFQ side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The bridge as you cross onto POR side.

[​IMG]
    The mansions from the other side of the river

[​IMG]

Once on POR side we entered the Main Building and went to visit the reception area. Then we exited to the back were there was a small harbor with rental boats. That is were guest can take the river boat to DTD.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We decided to eat at the River Mill food court. It was just beautiful in there with it wood beams. It was warm and cosy and the food selection was fast and looked very appetizing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ordered roasted turkey breast with gravy, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, green beans. It was delicious.

After supper we headed to the Gift Store. They had this cute animated scene of Goofy and Mickey. Grand-ma bought some more gifts for the kids (she's a spoiler!) and we headed back home.

[​IMG]

I really fell in love with POR and I think my next trip will be at this resort. The grounds are so spectacular and I just loved the food court. POFQ is also beautiful and much more convenient for its size but POR was just special too me.

19. tinkerbellmagic

tinkerbellmagic don't hate me because I loved the castle cake

You have some really nice pictures. Loved the barber shop hair cut. It looks like they really make it special.
    How fun to have the stormtrooper right there when you exited the ride!
    Ugh! I can't believe it took them so long to clean up the vomit mess at Sci Fi. Wow, that really would kill anyone's appetite. Sorry you had to go through that. :sad2:
    I agree about the Port Orleans resorts. The grounds are so pretty. POR was the first resort we stayed at in 1997 and then again in 2005. I'm sure we will stay there again.
    Enjoying your report and pics! :)

20. chip68

chip68 Earning My Ears

Liking the trip report. We also went last September and I took plenty of pictures with the intent of writing my first trip report. After reading yours, I think that I finally may just do it. Oh yes, and we also stayed at POFQ for the first time.

21. Alexsandra