1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Yet ANOTHER seasickeness question.....(re. our kids)

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by Kimbo71, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Kimbo71

Kimbo71 Mouseketeer

I posted this on one of the other threads, but it kinda got burried, so thought I would ask it seperately. DH & I have been on two other cruises (one Magic, one Wonder). Neither one of us had any seasickness. I did feel dizzy for a week or so AFTER our last cruise-not enough that I was sick-it was just kinda bothersome. It was in Oct., so we did kinda skirt the outside edge of a hurricane our last night out.

We are taking our kids for the first time this Feb. No one in our family has ever gotten carsick or even has been bothered at all. We live in CO, drive mountain roads all the time & take many days-long car trips. Never once has anyone even complained of not feeling well.

Do these things go hand-in-hand? Does the tendency to get car-sick go along w/ a tendency to seasickness as well? Or my real question is-do you think our kids will be ok?

The other thing is, the other cruises were 3 & 4 day cruises, & this is an 8 day. This one will be on the Magic again.

Any insight on this?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. OKW Lover

OKW Lover Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle. DIS Lifetime Sponsor

There is probably some relationship between those that get car sick and those that get seasick, but its not a firm one. My wife is prone to motion sickness but is just fine in a car.

4. Kimbo71

Kimbo71 Mouseketeer

This might be because the motion of the boat is a different sensation than that of a car, I suppose. Just hoping our kids do ok!

5. Scillycruisers

Scillycruisers Mouseketeer

Me too, though only slightly and I tend to wait it out as most of the meds just make me feel worse. DS is the opposite, he can get car sick so we tend to give him kids meds if on a long journey which seem to work fine and have no side effects for him, but we didn't give him anything on the cruise as we didn't want him taking something all week and he was fine the whole time even when we went through a rough patch. So I guess it just varies by person and you don't know until you try!

6. Kimbo71

Kimbo71 Mouseketeer

Sometimes I wonder if kids' bodies are just more resiliant.

7. Kimbo71

Kimbo71 Mouseketeer

Any other insight on this?

8. TitanBrett

TitanBrett Mouseketeer

After years of being on fishing boats, cruise ships, ski boats, ferries, sailboats and about every other type of watercraft I have found one universal truth. That truth being, sea sickness symptoms, effectiveness of cures, onset and relief vary so much person to person that it is basically an individualized affliction.

If you aren't sure what's going to happen, bring everything; sea bands, ginger, bonine, the patch, whatever.

9. MySecondHome

MySecondHome Never Grow Up !

Maybe I am just unique! I never get carsick or anything like that (even reading). I have been on 9 DCL cruises, the first 3 I felt queasy/sick on the first night only. I didn't have an issue from day two till the end.
    From cruise 4 -> on I haven't had an issue at all. There was no rhyme-or-reason. (Different locations on the ship, different ships & different times of the year)

Sent from my iPod touch using DISBoards

10. Kimbo71

Kimbo71 Mouseketeer

For DH & I, I think we'll be fine, given our past history. Just wondering about our kids. Thanks for your imput.

11. Kimbo71

Kimbo71 Mouseketeer

Yeah-who knows? I never felt sick-mostly just dizzy.

12. codex57

codex57 Earning My Ears

I think your kids will be fine since they don't get carsick. My sister gets car sick and sea sick and air sick. My kids don't get car sick, and while my wife and I weren't feeling too hot (I still feel like I'm rocking and we docked yesterday morning to disembark after a day and a half of really rocky seas), my kids were fine.

13. Kimbo71

Kimbo71 Mouseketeer

We'll take some meds w/ us just in case, but I think I'll just make sure they stay hydrated. That's the most important thing & we're used to that anyway, since we live in CO.