Yet Another Downtown Disney Makeover

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by doconeill, Feb 16, 2013.

1. doconeill

doconeill Fastpass Jedi Master DIS Lifetime Sponsor

I'll believe it when it's done and opened...

http://parkrumors.com/major-facelift-for-planned-downtown-disney/

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Dznefreek

Dznefreek DIS Veteran

That plan would make parking worse not better . . . . .

4. beer dave

beer dave Master of the obvious

Oh just put in a couple rides and charge for entry-- instant fifth gate. lol. Give free entry with minimum purchase at WOD.

5. Pier60

Pier60 Mouseketeer

More to see and more to do!

6. pooh2001

pooh2001 been there, done that, TRYING to go back

When will changes totally be done ? 2014 ? 2015 ? 2016 ? beyond ?
    Sounds like a lot of construction.

7. jlewisinsyr

jlewisinsyr DIS Veteran

Not putting much faith into it, Disney has not used parking garages in Disney World yet for customer parking, doubtful they would start in DTD.

8. doconeill

doconeill Fastpass Jedi Master DIS Lifetime Sponsor

I've got a low confidence in this as well...although some of it makes sense.

9. mcd2745

mcd2745 These Mickey pretzels are making me thirsty!

I agree...not a lot of confidence this will happen and not go the same way as Hyperion Wharf. However, it's not a terrible plan and there is potential to make that one area - The Landing - at least a little reminiscent of the "old" Pleasure Island. It will be essentially a new island, but one that doesn't interrupt foot traffic between the Marketplace and West Side since that other area - Town Center - will be in between instead of a parking lot.

10. angelmichelle

angelmichelle Mouseketeer

Disney Springs just sounds unpleasant. Downtown Disney sounds enjoyable. :confused3

11. cjstarr

cjstarr DIS Veteran

This sounds like a good plan to. DTD needs some major face lifting.:thumbsup2

12. zorro77

zorro77 DVC Member Since 93

With what is official so far it sounds like a very big project and some will cause issues for arriving to Dt Disney but like the old pleasure Island area a lot can be done with out any interruptions from daily activities. A change and any thing new will bring people in just to see and experience what is happening.

13. MrRomance

MrRomance Planning and Plotting

Reading the "plans" I can see some good points to it and some bad. Not sure how the 5 level parking structure will solve the parking problems at DTD if they're closing the other lots to make way for other things. The bridge into SSR is interesting (but that's a personal issue because we usually stay at SSR and the existing walkway isn't the nicest experience in the world! :rotfl2:

They need to do SOMETHING with DTD but whether these plans are the answer is questionable. There are 2 problems as I see it with DTD, firstly the parking issue, which needs to be resolved because at peak season, finding a space over there is a 2 hour job! The other problem is it's all a little incoherent over there. Creating different areas (shopping, restaurants, entertainment, etc.) would be an improvement.