YES, touring Cinderella’s Dream Suite was Amazing!+14 Other Magical Days* Dismeet & Wrap

Do not want to hijack your thread but I have been, of course, reading along with every other disboards member!!

Walt Disney died December 15, 1966 from lung cancer. He had just had his 65th birthday on December 1. Construction on what he had often referred to as "the Florida project" began the following year. The Magic Kingdom officially opened on October 1, 1971 or five years after Walt's death. He had been involved with the design of Cinderella Castle and indeed the space was originally planned as an apartment for his family. The structure was built as it was designed but the apartment was not finished for "occupation". It was used as a call center for years. The folk lore is that Roy couldn't bring himself to see anyone else staying there after Walt passed away.

The Disney executives later decided to fulfill the original intent of the space as part of the Million Dreams promotion.

What an absolute treat to be able to visit and see it for yourself!! Can't wait to read the rest of your TR!

Yes, I totally agree! I'm glad someone like littlenellbell got to stay there too!:thumbsup2:rotfl:

I was also told that no celebrity or anyone can "buy" their way in. I was told a celebrity usually stays there because of something they have done or are doing for Disney. Celebrities who have performed for the Christmas Parade, Candlelight Processional, celebrity chefs for Food and Wine, HGTV stars who are there for Flower and Garden, ESPN weekend etc. They will also give away nights to big Corporate sponsors of Disney. Those sponsors could raffle it off to a lucky employee or maybe the CEO would stay. Sometimes Disney will also give away a night when there is a big Convention going on as a prize. They also give nights away for Sweepstakes, like the one I won with Delta Vacations. Delta Vacations promoted Disney vacation packages along with their "Cinderella Castle Suite sweepstakes" advertisement. I'm sure with all the vacation packages Delta sold, it was worthwhile to give Delta the suite for the night as part of their giveaway. All of these things bring Disney big $$ and Disney uses the Suite as a thank you!
I do think it makes it more special that you can not buy a night there. I just wish they would give more nights away. It's a shame that it's vacant on most nights. I'd love for more regular families to get to have this wonderful experience.

Thanks for chiming in Kristy! What you shared is how it was explained by our guide as well.

One thing you may be able to answer for which I had conflicting information from CMs.... Is there a "door mat" that is set out when there is a guest in residence? I heard it is from one but that it was a rumor from another. Figured you'd know since you were a guest.

Do not want to hijack your thread but I have been, of course, reading along with every other disboards member!!

Walt Disney died December 15, 1966 from lung cancer. He had just had his 65th birthday on December 1. Construction on what he had often referred to as "the Florida project" began the following year. The Magic Kingdom officially opened on October 1, 1971 or five years after Walt's death. He had been involved with the design of Cinderella Castle and indeed the space was originally planned as an apartment for his family. The structure was built as it was designed but the apartment was not finished for "occupation". It was used as a call center for years. The folk lore is that Roy couldn't bring himself to see anyone else staying there after Walt passed away.

The Disney executives later decided to fulfill the original intent of the space as part of the Million Dreams promotion.

What an absolute treat to be able to visit and see it for yourself!! Can't wait to read the rest of your TR!

Thanks for providing that information! Truly, it is helpful. I think what they ended up doing was so fabulous that it really is a great tribute to the man who inspired the dream in the first place! :)

Loving all the detail photos!! It's "almost" like we are there alongside you -- you certainly did your DIS duty on documenting the experience!

Now, give us more!! :goodvibes

When I start filming I will put that in the contract. LOL
The pics so far are nice of the suite.

I am SO far behind! So, I'm starting another window so I can put all my answers on so I don't forget something! LOL

I'm sure that you looked JUST like Ella when they told you about touring the D! Amazing!!!! :hyper: I would have done that as well! And how AMAZING That you had a photographer following you around!

I am SO glad that Em asked about Tom Cruise staying there! I need to be a movie star so I can get that in my contract! :bitelip:

It was only built in 2007??? I guess I thought it had been there longer?? I wonder what had been in that area before? ** Okay, so I read your post clarifying this! LOL

And congrats on the Thread of the Month!!! WOOHOO!!!! :hug: Of course EVERYONE is here reading about your tour!

Thanks for chiming in Kristy! What you shared is how it was explained by our guide as well.

One thing you may be able to answer for which I had conflicting information from CMs.... Is there a "door mat" that is set out when there is a guest in residence? I heard it is from one but that it was a rumor from another. Figured you'd know since you were a guest.

I'm not sure? They didn't mention anything about a door mat? That's interesting! Would it be outside the door in the castle breezeway or upstairs in front of the actual suite? I checked my pictures and there was no mat upstairs. I don't have a clear picture of the ground in front of the door in the breezeway, but I do have a dark video. I'm about 95% sure there was no mat in front of the door. Maybe this was something they did during the year of a million dreams and no longer do?

Loving all the detail photos!! It's "almost" like we are there alongside you -- you certainly did your DIS duty on documenting the experience!

Now, give us more!! :goodvibes

Thanks! I certainly tried Julie! If words fail me I should have plenty of photos.

When I start filming I will put that in the contract. LOL
The pics so far are nice of the suite.

Make sure you do that and throw in a request for lifetime APs as well. You may as well dream big!

Thanks Scott. I have a few more photos to share.

I am SO far behind! So, I'm starting another window so I can put all my answers on so I don't forget something! LOL

I'm sure that you looked JUST like Ella when they told you about touring the D! Amazing!!!! :hyper: I would have done that as well! And how AMAZING That you had a photographer following you around!

I am SO glad that Em asked about Tom Cruise staying there! I need to be a movie star so I can get that in my contract! :bitelip:

It was only built in 2007??? I guess I thought it had been there longer?? I wonder what had been in that area before? ** Okay, so I read your post clarifying this! LOL

And congrats on the Thread of the Month!!! WOOHOO!!!! :hug: Of course EVERYONE is here reading about your tour!

Hi Christen! It was a pretty amazing surprise. I'm not sure if the photographer is there for all the tours or not. the photopass dude earlier at lunch was shadowing the Mayor and then we had one for Dean's book photoops. There were a lot of people with cameras for sure.

Definitely make sure that you add to your contract that you need ANNUAL visits to the DS. :thumbsup2

Oh thanks. I need to get my butt in gear and get another update... It's been a busy weekend so far.

Thanks for reading and getting caught up.

I'm not sure? They didn't mention anything about a door mat? That's interesting! Would it be outside the door in the castle breezeway or upstairs in front of the actual suite? I checked my pictures and there was no mat upstairs. I don't have a clear picture of the ground in front of the door in the breezeway, but I do have a dark video. I'm about 95% sure there was no mat in front of the door. Maybe this was something they did during the year of a million dreams and no longer do?

Thanks for weighing in on that one. We'll just mark that one down as an unconfirmed rumor. ;)

Friday August 23, 2013: Day 8, Part 6 - Dream Suite Part 3

There are three rooms that comprise the actual suite; the main chamber which is the bedroom, the sitting room, and a bathroom. Before you enter the suite, after you emerge from the elevator, there is a small foyer.

Foyer:

DSCN7153.jpg

DSCN7155.jpg

DSCN7158.jpg

The vestibule just outside the entry to the DS has a stunningly beautiful mosaic tile floor depicting Cinderella’s coach with 24 carat gold tiles scattered throughout the artwork. On one of the walls is a glass fronted display case with Cinderella themed objects de art; crystal tiara and scepter and of course the glass slipper. Framed prints on the walls contain scenes from the movie. Hanging from the tray ceiling is a beautifully crafted crystal chandelier. There were also painted panels inlaid in the border of the ceiling. The panels depicted scenes from the movie. Just incredible. (pictures of some of these items were in my last update.)

Once the door to the DS opened we stepped into the most magical place that exists in all of WDW! I’m telling you, I had chills creep up my spine the moment I laid eyes on the amazingly beautiful bed chamber. Pinch. Me. Now.

DSCN7161.jpg

DSCN7229.jpg

Bed Chamber:

The theming is reminiscent of a 17th century chateau with marble and tile details throughout. Truly there’s sufficient luxury to believe that Cinderella and her Prince reside here.

Furnishings:

DSCN7203.jpg

There are two queen beds that have cornice box canopies embossed with the “C” monogram complete with rich blue and gold drapes. The deep blue and gold bedding is a beautiful jacquard damask. I imagine comfy feather pillows are on the beds but since I didn’t try them out for all I know they are Dacron. Carved wood chests stand at the foot of each bed.

DSCN7195.jpg

DSCN7196.jpg

DSCN7205.jpg

DSCN7234.jpg

Next to the bed closest to the entry is an antique secretary with glass doors displaying more artifacts of the Cinderella story. If you look close enough you will see glimpses of the 21st century with a port for HSIA – gotta have your internet even in the Dream Suite!!

DSCN7231.jpg

DSCN7194.jpg

Other furniture in the bedroom included a spindle leg antique looking tray table and 2 side chairs along the far wall and a marble topped inlaid wood with a floral motif chest of drawers next to the bathroom. Sitting atop the chest of drawers was a tray with a set of indigo blue goblets. If anyone has dined at CRT, those goblets look familiar.

DSCN7249.jpg

Adjacent to the beds is a faux limestone carved fireplace with fiber optic details including a hidden Mickey that cycles through and appears every 40 seconds or so. Over the fireplace is a gilt framed portrait of Cinderella. It was odd at first to see that she was rather CGI in a Pixar style. I thought it would be more effective to have the classic 1950’s Cinderella image but who asked me? The cool thing about this detail is the picture converts to an HDTV. The sound track to Wishes can be played in the suite even if it doesn’t have a great view for the fireworks.

Edited to add my attempt at capturing the fiber optic hidden Mickey in this video clip.

DSCN7165.jpg

DSCN7163.jpg

Ceilings, floors, and other architectural details:

The coffered ceilings are framed in ornately carved dark wood. Decorative medallions are centered in each recess that is painted a soft buttery yellow.
The tile flooring was laid in soft tones of blue, yellow, pink, and green tile with flecks of gold. At that time in the afternoon, the sun was streaming through the west facing windows and bringing out the gold flecks of the tile floors. It sparkled and glowed and seriously looked like pixie dust was being scattered on the floor.

c8d8c7ed-f86a-4752-8262-efbdd3011962.jpg

Sitting room ceiling
DSCN7223.jpg

In a direct reference to the Cinderella story, there are two limestone pillars on either side of the beds that feature carved reliefs of the birds and mice friends. And finally, there is a set of two crown adorned windows facing to the north.

DSCN7193.jpg

DSCN7232.jpg

DSCN7224.jpg

DSCN7227.jpg

DSCN7243.jpg

Dream Suite Tour continued next post

OH boy. That suite is enough to make anybody cry. I just keep going back over each little detail. That mosaic on the floor is incredible, and the beds with those beautiful canopies... can you imagine staying there?? I would never sleep! I would just keep the lights on, wander all over, stare at every detail. Amazing.

The suite is gorgeous. I would have wanted to look in those big chests to see what is in there. ;) And I was thinking that there wasn't very much room on the nightstand for "stuff". And where is the alarm clock? I know, I'm much too practical for this dream suite. :laughing:

Looks like just another Disney day at the office for you. So glad you got the opportunity to do this. :goodvibes

This is one time I would refuse to be pinched (I say that like I'd never refuse otherwise). OK, I'm gonna say it... "If this is dream I don't want to wake up!!!!" And to start with a Wishes graphic on the screen just cements that.

I'm so glad you're describing all this and not me as my description I'm sure would be something like "there were two beds...".

A hidden Mickey in the fireplace that cycles?? OMG that is so cool.

It's not often I go back over pictures of a post over and over, but I sure did here.

I was curious if you could be in the suite during Wishes, but I guess you can. Obviously no view, but it would still be pretty cool.

Cinderella's Suite is absolutely gorgeous! Weird, but all I could think about, after you mentioned it, was that Tom Cruise stayed there.

It would definitely be cool to have the opportunity to stay there and feel like an actual princess for a night.

Thank you so much for sharing this magical experience you and Em shared!

That tv is so cool! I love that mixed in with the gorgeous, ornate furniture is just a cool piece of tech. And awesome that it can play the Wishes soundtrack!!

All I can say is WOW! Amazing! Gorgeous! Beautiful!

I'm still trying to decide if I should share these photos with DD6. I'm not sure she'd understand that it's really not an option for her to stay there :rotfl2:.

That carriage mosaic is stunning, and I love the fiber-optic fireplace. How gorgeous is that place?

Thanks so much for sharing!

Hi there! And I'm very glad to have you reading along!! Thank you so much!

This day is probably a bad example of our normal park touring but yes, we do attractions. :)

And YES! I stand corrected! Dorethea Redmond did design the mosaic in that corridor! Mary Blair did the mosaic in the Contemporary Resort.

I believe Dorthea also did the artwork in the Parfumerie in New Orleans Square at DL. Please correct me if I'm wrong since I don't want to be a source of incorrect information, again! :)

DSC07884.jpg

DSC07876.jpg

Thanks again for joining!

!

Thank you for the lovely Parfumerie photos. I was in the shop this summer and it is truly lovely. Mrs. Redmond was quite a talent!

The suite is spectacular. What an opportunity! I am waiting for the rest with bated breath :3dglasses

Loving the Dream Suite updates so far! Wow, it's gorgeous. I love the detailing in the pillars and ceilings. I can't imagine being able to stay in there for a night! Can't wait to read/see more!
:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter