Magic to do and fantasy to study - Disneyland, Cruise, and WDW PTR *ADR Update 11/9*

LizardQueen8

DIS Veteran
Allow me to introduce myself - musical theater nerd, book nerd and of COURSE, Disney nerd! My name is MJ, happily single and childless and living in Chicago (I was engaged for 5 years once...but that's another story and let's just say that not marrying him was so the right thing). I have a small but amazing circle of friends, literally all of whom are fellow theater people, and many of whom share my Disney love (obsession). They do not judge me for my eight pair of mouse ears or my Mickey Mouse tattoo. AND WHY SHOULD THEY?? :earsgirl:.

OUR STORY BEGINS

I cannot remember a time when I did not love Disney. Disney movies were always my favorite, and I especially loved all Disney cats. I was never a princess girl, although I did grow up before the princess craze began. My first trip to the World was when I was four. Despite being completely traumatized by the evil hag in the Snow White ride, and an incident where my parents managed to lose our rental car in the 90 degree heat, I also got to meet Mickey Mouse and was HOOKED. The next trip to WDW was when I was seven, followed by trips to Disneyland at ages nine and twelve. My high school choir went to WDW to perform my senior year in high school (and oh, that trip was epic - I'd post pictures if I had any AND HOW I WISH I HAD SOME), followed a couple months later by my first sans-parental trip with a friend as my high school graduation present. Then there was a trip to WDW in college with my boyfriend, and another trip with a friend a few months after graduating college, and then.....

NOTHING FOR MORE THAN A DECADE.

That wasn't planned, of course. But life and jobs and a lack of traveling companions got in the way. My Disney love never disappeared, but it definitely receded into the background.

Then my ex-fiance had a cousin get married in Orange County. NATURALLY since we were so close, I lobbied for a side trip to Disneyland. And it was the
BEST. DAY. EVER!!!

Also it paved the way for the renewal of my Disney love :mickeyjum.

We took a lovely trip to WDW about three years later. The plan at that time was to make a pilgrimage every two years. But right around the time we should have been making that next trip, we broke up instead (once again, a good thing). So instead, I had the
SERIOUSLY INCREDIBLE idea to plan a milestone birthday trip to the World with three of my closest friends. That happened, and was one of the best vacations I've had in my entire life. And the obsession was OFFICIALLY BACK, and was followed almost exactly a year later by a trip to Disneyland for the half-marathon (I didn't run; I just tagged along).

THE TEN YEAR PLAN

Post last year's trip, my main Disney partner in crime, (the crazy half marathon runner and one of my birthday companions and who I shall call K) and I worked up a TOTALLY WORKABLE PLAN to visit all the Disney parks plus Aulani over the course of approximately a decade. Seriously, we made up a cool chart and everything. This fall was supposed to be Disneyland Paris. But, once again, life got in the way, and we had to put that off. It was fine; things happen.

AND THEN. AND THEN CAME THE DCL STAR WARS DAY AT SEA ANNOUNCEMENT

K is a Star Wars fan. Like, a crazy Star Wars fan. Like, SO INTO STAR WARS. So when DCL announced the Star Wars Day at Sea, I of course had to tell her, just so she'd be jealous or something. I was not prepared for her to send me a text message that basically said, "WE ARE DOING THIS I DON'T CARE WHAT IT COSTS." About five days later we had booked a cruise for January 2016. That threw the ten year plan into even further disarray but we didn't care because DISNEY CRUISE!!!!! And then K decided to book the Avengers Half-Marathon weekend. And then I decided to tag along. AND THEN I decided it would be a fabulous idea to sign up for the 5K myself. I've never run a 5K in my life. BUT I AM NOW.

THEN THE PART WHERE TWO DISNEY TRIPS PLANNED WAS CLEARLY NOT ENOUGH

So it's been kind of a rough 12 months for me. Nothing major, but lots and lots of little and medium things piling up and piling up and piling up. To be honest, I've gotten pretty depressed. And the only thing that has really made me feel better about my life is planning my Disney adventures. K wanted me to join them for the WDW marathon weekend in January, but it's too close to the cruise for me - I'm pretty sure my cat will destroy my house if I'm gone that much in such a short period of time. But I'd love to go back to WDW, especially since I haven't been back now since the advent of FP+. So....I'm depressed and planning Disney trips distract me.

BRILLIANT IDEA - PLAN A SOLO TRIP FOR NEXT SPRING.

So. Here I am. Planning a solo trip for next spring.

Join me in my adventures!

Last edited:
So. The decision to book the trip is made.

BUT THAT'S THE EASY PART.

I'm thinking last week in April/first week in May

BUT WHERE DO I STAY????

I can't afford a deluxe on my own, as much as I would love it. I don't really want to rent DVC points because a kitchen will be utterly, utterly wasted on me. Also I don't really like doing deals with people I don't know. Also I don't want to. So, moderate it is. I've wanted to stay at POFQ...pretty much since it was built. POR or Caribbean Beach would be fine, too.

But..........

A value would be so much cheaper. But I don't really want to stay in a value. But POP and AoA are supposed to be quite nice. And money.

But I'll be going solo. Do I really want to do a value when I'm going solo? On my own, I'm likely to spend more time at the resort. And I like a nice room. And a reasonably quiet room. And how I love the themes of the moderates. But money.

SO TORN HELP

Taking a break on this gray, rainy Memorial Day from stressing about which hotel to book and watching Twin Peaks. While drinking coffee out of a Snow White mug. Something is...not right here. Especially since a donut to go with my coffee has not magically appeared in front of me.

K's birthday is next week, and as usual for us, most of her presents are Disney related. I found her this amazing ToT mug on eBay:

image.jpg

I...have a problem when it comes to mugs. Called I WANT ALL OF THEM. Including this one. Even though I'm not really a ToT fan. But I will be strong.

Which reminds me - I haven't been on ToT in WDW since about 1995. I had no real idea what the ride was, so when the doors opened at the top and I had a lovely view of MGM Studios in the dusk and then we DROPPED...well, there was a lot of screaming and about 6 inches of space between my butt and the seat, and back then it was just one long drop...I swore I was never getting on that nightmare ride again. Then last summer I allowed K to talk me into going on the DL version. And if I didn't exactly enjoy it, I still went on it twice more that trip.

MY MISSION FOR 2016, SHOULD I CHOOSE TO ACCEPT IT: RIDE TOWER OF TERROR AT WDW (while trying not to scream too much).

Last edited:
So....I think I might pull the trigger today. I might go ahead and book my room. And then add tickets on when the packages become available.

I'd rather wait until the packages come out.....

BUT I DON'T THINK I CAN WAIT.

Update to follow.....

Allow me to introduce myself - musical theater nerd, book nerd and of COURSE, Disney nerd! My name is MJ
Hi MJ! I'm Rebecca and I'm here following along! Those are all great nerdoms and I'm a fan of all of those also add costume nerd, comic book geek, and early Renaissance dweeb. lol.
NOTHING FOR MORE THAN A DECADE.
Too long to go without a Disney fix!
So instead, I had the SERIOUSLY INCREDIBLE idea to plan a milestone birthday trip to the World with three of my closest friends. That happened, and was one of the best vacations I've had in my entire life. And the obsession was OFFICIALLY BACK
That sounds pretty fantastic! Will you be sharing memories of that trip? :)
So it's been kind of a rough 12 months for me. Nothing major, but lots and lots of little and medium things piling up and piling up and piling up. To be honest, I've gotten pretty depressed.
:hug: Oh how I understand this. Coming out of a bout of depression currently myself. Do you want to talk about the stuff going on?
And the only thing that has really made me feel better about my life is planning my Disney adventures.
I relate to this. Currently my chronic illnesses (ehlers danlos, migraines, and rheumatoid arthritis) are really putting a damper on living the active life I like best. For now planning for Disney keeps my spirits lifted, even when my body is a bit under the weather.
BRILLIANT IDEA - PLAN A SOLO TRIP FOR NEXT SPRING.

So. Here I am. Planning a solo trip for next spring.

Join me in my adventures!
YES! So happy that you're planning this!!!
So, moderate it is. I've wanted to stay at POFQ...pretty much since it was built. POR or Caribbean Beach would be fine, too.
I really liked some things about POFQ and here is another trip report of an awesome lady that just stayed there! http://www.disboards.com/threads/pt...day-1-2-upd-5-22.3392114/page-3#post-53705108
I think we'll stay there one day as well because Little Mermaid rooms :blush: and a food court with a lot of tasty sounding veggie options!
Taking a break on this gray, rainy Memorial Day from stressing about which hotel to book and watching Twin Peaks.
love Twin Peaks!!! Are you excited for the new series?!
K's birthday is next week, and as usual for us, most of her presents are Disney related. I found her this amazing ToT mug on eBay
That is a great mug!
I...have a problem when it comes to mugs. Called I WANT ALL OF THEM. Including this one. Even though I'm not really a ToT fan. But I will be strong.
I have that same problem only about necklaces instead of mugs!
MY MISSION FOR 2016, SHOULD I CHOOSE TO ACCEPT IT: RIDE TOWER OF TERROR AT WDW (while trying not to scream too much).
Yay! Scream as loudly as you like! :D
So....I think I might pull the trigger today. I might go ahead and book my room. And then add tickets on when the packages become available.
Did you book?! If so where?! Can't wait to find out!
I'd rather wait until the packages come out.....

BUT I DON'T THINK I CAN WAIT.

Update to follow.....
Oh! Here are a couple of terrific PTRS or TRS of solo WDW trips... p.s. they are also utterly fanatabulous people!
http://www.disboards.com/threads/ca...21-pp54-20-000-leagues-of-pixie-dust.3381413/
http://www.disboards.com/threads/i-cant-wait-any-longer-update-5-25-im-back.3376716/

I am here for the ride...you had me at FIGMENT!

So, it really depends on how tight money is. I have stayed at a lot of different resorts. I LOVE POP. It is one of my favorite value resorts (only bad thing I have to say about it is the fact that it is the very last bus stop at every park (okay may not be sine AoA was added on Lol!)...just a long was to the bus stop at the end of a long night...especially Epcot for some reason. But we always booked a preferred room, and found it to be quiet (at all time of the year...we have usually ended up with pool views at both the Hippy Dippy Pool and the bowling pin pool and both were relatively quiet)

But, if you could, I love POFQ too. It is very relaxing, love there pool and love having beignets every morning. Definitely worth the money.

You can't go wrong with either. You also may not get the best deals if discounts come out for your time frame, as these are two of the more popular resorts.

Can't wait to hear what you decide!

And, you are not alone with a Figment on your desk...I have him all over my office! :figment:

Lynn

I DID IT I BOOKED MY TRIP

It's possible I'm a little excited.

tumblr_nb2u2aJ7sU1rn71qzo2_500.gif

So anyway :D. I ended up going with Port Orleans French Quarter. It's a bit of a splurge, but not too big of one and, hey, I can ask for money for the holidays!

End of April/Beginning of May.

I'll upgrade to a package for my tickets when they become available, as I indicated in a previous post. And I'll of course keep an eye out for any discounts just in case. But seriously, I've wanted to stay at POFQ since approximately 1993. It's about time, right?

Now. Today's big question:

WHAT COLOR MAGIC BAND DO I CHOOSE??????

My favorite color is purple, soooooo, THANKS DISNEY FOR NOT OFFERING PURPLE. ;) K thinks I should pick red, because I have this Sorcerer Mickey carabiner I put on my purse for an umbrella (or just for decoration), and red would match. But I JUST DON'T KNOW
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH.

(I know you can decorate them, I know this is hardly a make or break decision BUT IT'S HARD OKAY?)

SO ANYWAY :D

That sounds pretty fantastic! Will you be sharing memories of that trip? :)
/

I will absolutely be sharing memories of my birthday trip. I have grand plans for weekly TBT posts, and that trip will feature heavily, I'm sure.

love Twin Peaks!!! Are you excited for the new series?!

SO EXCITED. Also I'm planning my wedding to Agent Cooper. There will be coffee and pie.

Thanks for the links to the trip reports, Rebecca! I will read them at my leisure over the next couple of months. As for the things that are getting me down...well, I'll vent and share as I deem it necessary and healthy. The briars in this laughing place, if you will :).

But, if you could, I love POFQ too. It is very relaxing, love there pool and love having beignets every morning. Definitely worth the money.
I'd be lying if I said the beignets weren't a huge point in POFQ's favor :figment:.

Whew. I'm spent. I dithered about booking the room all weekend BUT OMG SO HAPPY I DID IT.

I should watch a Disney movie, tonight, right? OH NO MORE DECISIONS!:earboy2:

image.jpg

It's not coming up with ideas that's the problem...it's the narrowing down (this isn't even all the Disney movies I own IT'S AN ADDICTION) :).

OK...magic band color...Orange...it will coordinate with Figment. That is what I ended up doing...and I really hate that color orange. But my LOVE of Figment overrode the color hate, I even had my name as Figment on the inside...made/still makes me happy every time I look at it.

lynn

While Figment is one of my favorite characters, Alice is my FAVORITE (hence the avatar). So, by that logic, I guess I should choose blue? I reeeeeally don't like orange. I'm still undecided. Also, I have zero artistic abilities when it comes to being crafty. If I could sing a character onto my Magic Band, I might have a fighting chance ;).

(I haven't laid eyes on a Magic Band, either. I am deeply ambivalent about them. Which doesn't mean that I don't want mine to be the perfect color.)

(Also I ended up watching Bedknobs and Broomsticks. Why aren't I a super cool witch???)

So it's the day after I booked my Supercalifragilistic Spring Solo Trip (now it's official name), and the buzz is being offset this morning by the fact that it is three weeks until one of my best friends moves to San Francisco. I need some cheering up. My cat is no help at all, and I work out of my house, so I have to cheer myself up. This should do it:

THIS IS THE CHARACTER WHO SHOULD BE DOING A MEET AND GREET IN MEXICO.

Something to know about me - I do love my character meet and greets. Characters I am looking forward to catching in 11 months (assuming they are still out and about):

Gaston
Talking Mickey
the White Rabbit
King Louie and Baloo
Buzz Lightyear/Woody
Mexican Donald
Circus Goofy
Pocahontas
Tarzan

Trying to decide if I want to do a solo character breakfast. Hmmmmmmm......

Last edited:
TBT TIME

2013-08-02 00.27.50.jpg

Seven Dwarves Mine Train hadn't opened yet. But Dopey was telling me to take a peek. So I took a peek :D. Also it was my 40th birthday. Want to distract yourself from the fact that you've turned 40? GO TO DISNEY WORLD. Best birthday ever. Best friends ever.

Every birthday that is not at Disney for the rest of my life will be anticlimactic. I'm totally fine with that. I am currently trying to convince my friend M (who was on my magical birthday trip with me) to go to Tokyo Disneyland for her 40th birthday :rainbow:.

In actual vacation news:

I am determined to pick my Magic Band color by the end of the day.

It's possible I spent all last night looking at WDW menus online.

It's also possible I will be spending all night tonight looking at DL menus online. That trip is coming up first, after all.

The-Princess-and-the-Frog-001.jpg

Hi, I followed you over from my thread. We definitely do have some similarities! I spy Buffy...Angel or Spike? Shot in the dark: were you a member of the Bronze posting board?

Congrats on POFQ!!! I was initially booked at POR, then moved to CBR, but I still think the NO themeing is lovely.

Lemme know if you need to talk about depression meds. I have been on/am on a few different ones.

Supercalifragilistic Spring Solo Trip
Terrific title!
Trying to decide if I want to do a solo character breakfast.
Of course you should! Or a lunch or dinner or something!
2013-08-02-00-27-50-jpg.99519

Seven Dwarves Mine Train hadn't opened yet. But Dopey was telling me to take a peek. So I took a peek :D. Also it was my 40th birthday. Want to distract yourself from the fact that you've turned 40? GO TO DISNEY WORLD. Best birthday ever. Best friends ever.
super cute pic! Love how creative they were with the walls here! Also yay for turning 40 at Disney! I'll be turning 41 at Disney next year!
It's possible I spent all last night looking at WDW menus online.
::yes:: perfectly sane and logical thing to do!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter