Yacht Club worn out?

toodycat

DIS Veteran
We just made our reservations for Food and Wine. I felt certain we would stay at YC since we've never stayed there before and want to stay at all the WDW resorts. However, some of the reviews on Trip Advisor were very negative about the worn and dated state of the rooms and public spaces. Since the Beach Club has been renovated and is the same price, we're returning to the BC. Is the criticism of YC accurate? Should I wait for a refurb before booking? Since the pool and restaurants will still be available at the BC, I don't think I'll be missing much. Am I right?

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say the YC rooms are worn out. But they are showing that they are in need of a refurb which is scheduled to begin very soon, it not begun already.

Thanks, Dansdad. I checked the refurb schedule and didn't see dates yet. But, if you think it's imminent, I will wait until it's completed before booking YC.

We just made our reservations for Food and Wine. I felt certain we would stay at YC since we've never stayed there before and want to stay at all the WDW resorts. However, some of the reviews on Trip Advisor were very negative about the worn and dated state of the rooms and public spaces. Since the Beach Club has been renovated and is the same price, we're returning to the BC. Is the criticism of YC accurate? Should I wait for a refurb before booking? Since the pool and restaurants will still be available at the BC, I don't think I'll be missing much. Am I right?
YC was old and worn out when we stayed there 4 years ago. Our room was shabby for sure. I think BC is the better choice this time.

I just stayed at YC last week and I thought our room was worn. It was clean, but worn. We had just stayed BC a few months prior and the difference is noticeable. However, for Food and Wine, I would take that worn YC room unless there is something else available right in the Epcot area! That walk can't be beat! And overall, we had a good stay.

We stayed there this past trip and while I LOVED the resort (the lobby is so calm and quiet!), the rooms definitely need updating! They are clean but really outdated. Also our balcony door was broken (we got locked out, it was a whole thing), and I just think the whole room needs a major overhaul. I would stay here again, because the hotel is still worth it, but it feels like they've gone too long without updating (imo). They should be soon, since they did BC and I'm excited to see what they do with the rooms! I think new rooms at BC look really nice so we booked there this trip!

Thanks, Dansdad. I checked the refurb schedule and didn't see dates yet. But, if you think it's imminent, I will wait until it's completed before booking YC.

The YC refurb doesn't start until August, so it won't be complete by the time you go. If you want to guarantee an updated room, go for the BC.

We always choose the YC every year over the BC but last summer our YC room was tired and had some room issues (broken closet door, broken patio door, etc). We are booking BC this summer and will return to the YC when the room refurbs are finished there. We like the full balcony guarantee at the YC and the quieter lobby better than BC but the tired rooms are a dealbreaker for us for sure.

Thanks so much for all this feedback. A lot of people I know have recommended the YC, but most of them stayed there quite a while ago. I'll stick to the BC again. That walk into Epcot can't be beat.

I stayed for ten nights at YC last December (2015) and my room was in very good shape. In fact, if I hadn't been keeping up with the news on the DIS I would have guessed that it had been refurbished within the last year. So it depends on luck of the draw, I guess. I generally request to be in a quiet area away from elevators and pools and such - so those rooms may not get used as often.

I love BC and the location - I don't love the suspense over whether I'm getting a full balcony or a Juliet balcony. That's why I usually end up picking YC over BC. But if you don't mind if you end up with a Juliet balcony, I'd go for BC

We had been staying at AKL and WL over the past several years but this past August we wanted to try an Epcot resort with a CL room. BC was unavailable by the time I booked, so despite some trepidation after reading the many "worn out feel of the resort" posts, I booked YC CL. Maybe we just got lucky, but when we walked into the room we were AMAZED! Maybe a ding or two on the furniture and one slight separation of the wallpaper in a remote corner, but other than that the room was more than satisfactory. I wouldn't hesitate to book there again even before the refurb takes place. I'm guessing many of the negative comments are from those who have stayed there multiple times and have seen some decline in it's condition over the years. For this first timer I still thought it was great!

My husband and I stayed at YC a few months ago and I thought some of the furniture looked worn. Our room was very clean though, just worn ;)

We stayed at the YC in November 2014. We were upgraded from a garden view to lagoon view. Our room was fine. Outdated? Perhaps but we were pleased. We are returning this April and this time we are staying in CL room.

I stayed at the YC twice in 2015, most recently in December. I did not notice anything worn down, though I live with 3 kids, so who knows... IT looked better than my house! There was construction going on in rooms above ours. This was very loud during the day, like someone in the room with us, but I don't know if it was an officially begun refurb, or maybe just working on a sample couple of rooms. They were sawing, hammering, major construction. You could see the workers through the balcony windows. This did not deter me from enjoying our stay.

The YC refurb doesn't start until August, so it won't be complete by the time you go. If you want to guarantee an updated room, go for the BC.

So they are starting in Aug? I thought they were starting this month?

I would check BC/YC thread, I thought they started renos already. Last YC stay our room was fine. I prefer YC because a full balcony is important to me. I thought public areas were fine.

I stayed there in December of 2015 and my room wasn't worn out at all, it was in great shape. I loved having a balcony and the resort was beautiful.

We stayed at the YC at the end of January and everything was in good shape. Furniture showed some wear, but not worn out. However DW wants to do BC next trip, she thought she would enjoy the style of BC more.

YC/BC is my go to resort, if rooms are available I always stay there. Of the two, I prefer YC and will stay there if available. I was there in Sept. had a view looking out over the lake between YC and BW, king bed and little bar sink in the room all upgraded from just a standard room. It was a little worn but certainly not anything that would sway me from staying there again. I like the feel of YC better than BC but I don't have any small kids, BC is just a little too noisy for me. I also prefer the full balcony since I've been known to sit out there and have a cup of coffee in the morning and a glass of wine at night. Having said that, if no rooms were available or it was less, I'd stay at BC.

Ugh. This scares me. I have 2 garden view rooms booked at the YC for next month. I already have a bit of a bad attitude about having to spend $900+ per night, so I pray we get a decent room. We would normally stay at BC, but they're even more ridiculously priced. I miss the days of getting 2 rooms at the BC for under $600 a night!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter