Y&BC or Swan/Dolphin for F&W Festival?

losthat

Earning My Ears
Back from a trip to F&G in EPCOT and loved it. Stayed at the Contemporary compliments of business trip. Liked the Garden Wing but disliked the monorail trips and long walk to other side of EPCOT. Planning to attend F&W in October...two adults. Considering cost, ease of getting to EPCOT and comparison to Contempory room size, service and food (we loved the California Grille) which would be the best choice? Thanks!

P.S. Should mention I can get a teacher discount at the S&D on std. room. Also we do not plan to go anywhere but EPCOT.

We stayed at the Beach Club last year and the Dolphin the year before. The BC is nicer but we really enjoyed the Dolphin it is very nice as well. As far as cost goes, the S&D are definitely less expensive and they are deluxe resorts as well. The BC is closer to Epcot but the walk along the boardwalk to Epcot is really nice or you can also take the water taxi. We are staying at the Dolphin again this summer because of the cost so that we can stay in a deluxe. I dont think you will be disappointed. Check out the post on both. :thumbsup2

If you're looking at cost, you can usually get a room at the Swan/Dolphin for much cheaper than Y&BC. There are many good restaurants in that area with the Y&BC and Boardwalk a short walk away. Some people feel that the Swan/Dolphin lacks the Disney feel and magic, but I find them to be a welcome respite from the "All Mickey, All the Time" feeling you may get from the Disney resorts. That being said, you can't go wrong with any of the EPCOT resorts, especially for the Food and Wine Festival, which we're planning on attending as well in October!

If it were me, I'd stay YC. If money is an issue, go for Swan or Dolphin. It's just personal preference - we love the YC because of the more quiet and subdued lobby (in comparison to the more lively lobby of the BC). The quiet pool has always been basically empty when we went. We enjoy having the theming, which is why we wouldn't stay Swan or Dolphin.
It's really personal preference - and I don't think you can go wrong with either resort -- you will love the easy walk to Epcot!

Staying at the BC will save you maybe 5 minutes of walking. I'd be perfectly happy staying at the Swan/Dolphin (especially with the price break).

We preferred the less expensive dining options at the Dolphin (but prefer the Swan rooms)-the Y &BC seems to just have the higher priced sit down dining places-and you have to walk around the lake for other food.

In my opinion the Epcot resorts have the largest selection of dining options within walking distance than any other Disney resort, without including restaurants in Epcot.
The Yachtsman at the YC and Shulas at the Dolphin are as good as any restaurants on site, IMHO. You won't get a better steak, if thats your thing, than you will at Shulas, but it is a bit pricey.

Enjoy your trip, wherever you stay.

Actually we have eaten a Shulas before...great! Figuring we will be eating alot at the F&W so food selection is not top priority. Guess I am wondering if the Yacht Club is worth the extra $$$ compared to Swan or Dolphin. Thanks for the replies so far.
The one advantage of the Yacht Club we can really benefit from would be the transportation from MCO. But if a limo ride comes out to be reasonable then that would be prefered.

Not that this factors in to a choice between S/D and the Y&BC, but note that this past year, the S/D hosted its own event during F&W that was awesome. They set up tasting tables and food kiosks all along the pathway that connects the two resorts. Frankly, this event out-shone what was available around the World Showcase. It was a separate admission price but well worth it. You might want to check to see whether it will be repeated. My guess is that it will be.

Back from a trip to F&G in EPCOT and loved it. Stayed at the Contemporary compliments of business trip. Liked the Garden Wing but disliked the monorail trips and long walk to other side of EPCOT. Planning to attend F&W in October...two adults. Considering cost, ease of getting to EPCOT and comparison to Contempory room size, service and food (we loved the California Grille) which would be the best choice? Thanks!

P.S. Should mention I can get a teacher discount at the S&D on std. room. Also we do not plan to go anywhere but EPCOT.

I am actually going to go across the grain here (big surprise) and vote for the B&YC. Get the QS meal plan and the snack credits count toward the foods at the booths. Plus Magical Express and you don't have to rent a car. We are going Oct 14th and staying at the BC. Easy walk there and back.

Not that this factors in to a choice between S/D and the Y&BC, but note that this past year, the S/D hosted its own event during F&W that was awesome. They set up tasting tables and food kiosks all along the pathway that connects the two resorts. Frankly, this event out-shone what was available around the World Showcase. It was a separate admission price but well worth it. You might want to check to see whether it will be repeated. My guess is that it will be.

It will be repeated. It is Columbus Day weekend, Oct 7th and Oct 8th. There isn't much info now but the information can be found here:

http://www.swandolphinfoodandwineclassic.com/

You do not have to be a guest of the S/D to go to this.

If you are going to spend alot of time at the F&W you want to stay at the Epcot resorts. For a short stay we love the Dolphin but longer than a weekend it loses its appeal from lack of Disney themeing and I like to charge my meals and purchases to my room and you cannot do that at these resorts (just their restaurants are able to do a room charge)

This time around I am hoping for a 40% off code so we can stay at the BWI. Last year we were at the CBR for the last weekend of F&W and waiting for a bus was a nightmare so we just drove ourselves. Since it was just 2 days it wasnt a problem but if the F&W was longer than that I would have been going nuts :lmao:

Get the QS meal plan and the snack credits count toward the foods at the booths.

True...but there are limited options for the CS dining credits in the Epcot resort area.

If money is no object, stay at the Beach Club or Boardwalk (Yacht Club is nice but a further walk to Epcot). If you want to save money and still have access to Epcot, and DME or "Disney theming" is not a must, go with the Swan/Dolphin. I think you could save a good deal more money staying at the Swan/Dolphin without a dining plan if you find a good discount,than you would staying at a Disney deluxe, getting a dining plan and using dining credits for snacks at WS.

I've stayed at the Beach Club and the Dolphin, and will be returning soon to the Dolphin. I doubt I'll return to Yacht and Beach Club any time soon (though I never say never -- maybe some day when we have grand kids).

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I personally find the theme at the Y&BC to be very bland, and I prefer the S&D in almost every way, especially the dining options. I also appreciate the more adult atmosphere. The fact that these hotels are w-a-y cheaper makes it a no-brainer for us.

The only thing I miss right now with our upcoming Dolphin stay is not having the +10 dining reservations, which might keep us from getting the Fantasmic dining package we want (ETA: nope, it didn't), but I can't justify an extra $1000+ for that. We rent a car (and would at the Y&BC too), so don't care about ME. We don't like the dining plan, so don't care about that. And I don't see much benefit of charging to your room when it all ends up on the same credit card anyway.

So for us, the Swan/Dolphin is an easy call. But if you really want the dining plan or ME, or if you're particularly enamored with the Y&BC theme, then that makes the decision tougher.

If money is no object, stay at the Beach Club or Boardwalk (Yacht Club is nice but a further walk to Epcot)... or "Disney theming" is not a must, go with the Swan/Dolphin. .

:confused3
I don't find the "theming" at Y&BC to be all that "Disney-fied". It's a very basic nautical theme without much Disney flair. Certainly not worth extra money, in my opinion. If it weren't for the toiletries, I'm not sure anyone would ever know that they are at WDW.

kungaloosh: If you are in the minority, it is at a minimum, a minority of 2 cuz I'm right there with you.

If you're looking at cost, you can usually get a room at the Swan/Dolphin for much cheaper than Y&BC. There are many good restaurants in that area with the Y&BC and Boardwalk a short walk away. Some people feel that the Swan/Dolphin lacks the Disney feel and magic, but I find them to be a welcome respite from the "All Mickey, All the Time" feeling you may get from the Disney resorts. That being said, you can't go wrong with any of the EPCOT resorts, especially for the Food and Wine Festival, which we're planning on attending as well in October!

Do you rent a car when you are staying at the Swan or the Dolphin? It seems that the extra parking fee eliminates the advantage of having a car. $200 for the car rental for 5 days plus another $60 for parking, isn't a shuttle from the airport cheaper?

:confused3
I don't find the "theming" at Y&BC to be all that "Disney-fied". It's a very basic nautical theme without much Disney flair. Certainly not worth extra money, in my opinion. If it weren't for the toiletries, I'm not sure anyone would ever know that they are at WDW.

kungaloosh: If you are in the minority, it is at a minimum, a minority of 2 cuz I'm right there with you.

According to the stuff I've read, "Disney theming" can include the following: towel animals, hidden Mickeys, Mickey motif on the toiletries, and Disney characters doing the wake-up calls. I've seen folks that aren't interested in staying at the Swolphin because they would miss these things. Boardwalk isn't incredibly Disney themed either in that it doesn't look like All Star Movies and have huge characters everywhere.

Keep in mind you pay a lot for having Mickey shaped towels and Mickey soaps and shampoos. The amount you can save at an upscale (Westin Heavenly Beds!) Swan and Dolphin in the same location would be worth a second look any time in my book!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter