wristbands?

Are you asking about the new MagicBands that will be used at WDW in the coming months?

Yes. Those are what I am talking about. I thought they might use them because you will use them on the ship and at the parks if you get a package. I wish they would because they would be much more convenient than the KTTW cards.

On the DVC Boards, someone posted that Disneyland is supposedly getting them, but not for a couple of years.

For WDW, they are making them sound like they are not a one use and toss them since they are saying there will be options available to customize them. The MagicBands are not going to be required at WDW either unless you want to use FastPass+ (which will be optional). Those with MYW tickets that are staying off-site will have the option to purchase a MagicBand.

Yes. Those are what I am talking about. I thought they might use them because you will use them on the ship and at the parks if you get a package. I wish they would because they would be much more convenient than the KTTW cards.

Thank goodness no. DCL doesn't sell land/sea packages anymore. You have had to book them seperately for a while.

Thank goodness no. DCL doesn't sell land/sea packages anymore. You have had to book them seperately for a while.

Um, I think you missed the point of the question. These wristbands would simply replace the KTTW card. In otherwords, instead of touching your card to your door, or other places around the ship, you would simply touch your wristband. Seeing as both work off a similar RFID technology, I wouldn't be surprised to see the technology come to the ship, at least as an option.

Not to mention, it makes a lot of sense on a cruise ship, where you generally don't need to carry too much around with you, to have a simple bracelet act as your KTTW card, would be rather convenient, I think.

In contrast to bringing this to Disneyland, which currently does not utilize RFID at all to my knowledge (at least not front of house, but potentially backstage for costumes and what not), the scanners are largely already located on DCL ships.

Um, I think you missed the point of the question. These wristbands would simply replace the KTTW card. In otherwords, instead of touching your card to your door, or other places around the ship, you would simply touch your wristband. Seeing as both work off a similar RFID technology, I wouldn't be surprised to see the technology come to the ship, at least as an option.

Not to mention, it makes a lot of sense on a cruise ship, where you generally don't need to carry too much around with you, to have a simple bracelet act as your KTTW card, would be rather convenient, I think.

In contrast to bringing this to Disneyland, which currently does not utilize RFID at all to my knowledge (at least not front of house, but potentially backstage for costumes and what not), the scanners are largely already located on DCL ships.

I would hate a braclet around my wrist all the time so I hope they don't do this. Plus I am sure it wouldn't look nice with dressy clothes on formal nights.

I do not wear a thing around my neck either. The card usually just goes in my pocket.

If they do start using wrist bands I hope we'll get our choice of the wristband or the KTTW card. I'd choose the card.

No, I didn't miss the point. I know what they are and do not like the idea at all. It is easier for me or my DH to keep our four KTTW cards in our pocket both on the ship or at WDW. It would be a pain to have to stuff four of those bracelets somewhere when one person goest to get the FPs. I also do not like them because of having to remove them for pictures. I always cut off the kids' bands before taking our family pictures. Their hands just never covered them good enough so I cut them off.

Also, the person was asking if the same one would be used for both their WDW stay and the ship. That is why I noted that DCL does not sell land/sea packages anymore.

I would hate a braclet around my wrist all the time so I hope they don't do this. Plus I am sure it wouldn't look nice with dressy clothes on formal nights.

I do not wear a thing around my neck either. The card usually just goes in my pocket.

:thumbsup2

No, I didn't miss the point. I know what they are and do not like the idea at all. It is easier for me or my DH to keep our four KTTW cards in our pocket both on the ship or at WDW. It would be a pain to have to stuff four of those bracelets somewhere when one person goest to get the FPs. I also do not like them because of having to remove them for pictures. I always cut off the kids' bands before taking our family pictures. Their hands just never covered them good enough so I cut them off.

Also, the person was asking if the same one would be used for both their WDW stay and the ship. That is why I noted that DCL does not sell land/sea packages anymore.

I see. I would imagine it would be an option, if they do introduce it. Though, it doesn't really seem to be an option now for WDW guests, so who knows.

I would mention (off-topic), that with these, you book fastpasses online or using your cell phone, so no one runs with all four anymore anywhere. Not saying I support this whole MyMagic+ thing, but some concepts like that will change.

I see your point about pictures, though. Although, I have many pictures with my lanyard in them, so I guess a bracelet would be an improvement.

The Galveston cruises on the Magic include a day at WDW. Ship is docking and they are providing buses to the parks. The park admission is included in the cost of the cruise.

I would mention (off-topic), that with these, you book fastpasses online or using your cell phone, so no one runs with all four anymore anywhere. Not saying I support this whole MyMagic+ thing, but some concepts like that will change.

I don't see them offering this to people who don't book packages. We book resort only and then use our 10-day single day tickets for several years. Also, not everyone has a "smart" phone. Would they really exclude those of us who aren't willing to pay to have data plans from getting FPs? If so, guess I am glad that my kids are getting older and will be able to understand when I tell them why we won't be returning to WDW often.

They are also setting up kiosks in the parks for non-smartphone users. Many of the resorts are converting their doors to the wristbands, so I read it as if you stay in a WDW resort, you are magicbanded. I am not sure how much will be optional; they probably aren't either yet.

I don't see them offering this to people who don't book packages. We book resort only and then use our 10-day single day tickets for several years. Also, not everyone has a "smart" phone. Would they really exclude those of us who aren't willing to pay to have data plans from getting FPs? If so, guess I am glad that my kids are getting older and will be able to understand when I tell them why we won't be returning to WDW often.

They have said this will be available for everyone, and those staying offsite can buy a wristband. Either way, all new tickets will be RFID equiped (like DCL KTTW cards). If you don't have a smart phone there will be kiosks throughout the park. I'm quite curious to see how they address people booking fastpass+ who are staying offsite, as there seems to be little way of confirming that person even has travel plans to be in the WDW area. But, I suppose this is the same issue with dining reservations, so its not an entirely new problem.

Please don't misunderstand me supplying this information with me in any way thinking this is a wise move by Disney -- specifically, TDO. And, by the way, the true motives for Disney doing all of this is datamining -- with the new RFID tickets and bands, they know where everyone is at every second, what that person saw, bought, ate, etc. They have invested about $2 billion in this boondoggle, and expect to get their return on targeted advertising. IMO - that $2 billion should have been invested in attractions, like Universal is doing and like Disneyland is doing. I don't think you will be the only one who sees this project as a huge deterrent. But, I have really digressed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter