Wow, Target is closed today

Almost everything except drug stores and restaurant are closed here on Good Friday as well as Easter..

What about the TV stations? For all those who dont want people to have to work on holidays, are you all going to stay home and not watch TV.

Given all the people that saw the Louiville player get hurt, I think tons of people were at home watching the game.

Like I said who gets decide who or what is essential?????

Ah, TV, a subject near and dear to my heart. Sadly, our holidays are not days off, and we have just a few, New Years, MLK Day, Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas. No Presidents Day, or Lincolns Birthday, or Good Friday, or Cesar Chavez Day.

What about the TV stations? For all those who dont want people to have to work on holidays, are you all going to stay home and not watch TV.

Given all the people that saw the Louiville player get hurt, I think tons of people were at home watching the game.

Like I said who gets decide who or what is essential?????

What about the refs and stadium personnel, coaches, trainers and floor wipers that had to work yesterday? I don't hear anyone complaining about that?

I work at Target and still don't see how they are closed on easter (in which there are tons of other places open) yet last year they were open on thanksgiving for an early black friday (in which every place is closed)

What about the refs and stadium personnel, coaches, trainers and floor wipers that had to work yesterday? I don't hear anyone complaining about that?

And don't forget churches. They were open on a holiday. Technically, all the pastors, ministers and priests all had to go to work on Easter Sunday. I'm sure they would have liked to just kick back and be with their families rather than preparing a service and then having to deliver it, usually many times during the day. For churches with multiple services, the pastor doesn't get much family time on religious holidays.

And don't forget churches. They were open on a holiday. Technically, all the pastors, ministers and priests all had to go to work on Easter Sunday. I'm sure they would have liked to just kick back and be with their families rather than preparing a service and then having to deliver it, usually many times during the day. For churches with multiple services, the pastor doesn't get much family time on religious holidays.

My dad is a minister. He always says that Sunday mornings are his volunteer work. :-)

I work at Target and still don't see how they are closed on easter (in which there are tons of other places open) yet last year they were open on thanksgiving for an early black friday (in which every place is closed)

Finally! Someone whose opinion (about Target at least) actually counts. So give us the verdict. What's the majority opinion amongst you and your co-workers - being glad the store closes for Easter so you get the day off, or wishing the store was open so you could work?

My dad is a minister. He always says that Sunday mornings are his volunteer work. :-)

And a great big Thank You to all that "volunteer" or work on holidays so that we may go to church, go to the movies, go to sports games, go to Disney World, get critical medical care, put out our fires, catch the bad guys, catch the news on TV and just plain indulge the whims of those of us who feel like going to the mall.

I'm glad the retail stores were closed. I worked 17 years at Kohls and I was glad we closed on Easter. We could spend time with our families. If a store closes two times out of the year I say that is not to bad. People can still eat so everyone will survive. Hospitals are open,gas stations, restaurants, grocery stores. I think we are in good shape. The way this country is headed it's only a matter of time before stores will be open on Christmas and Easter.

I'm glad the retail stores were closed. I worked 17 years at Kohls and I was glad we closed on Easter. We could spend time with our families. If a store closes two times out of the year I say that is not to bad. People can still eat so everyone will survive. Hospitals are open,gas stations, restaurants, grocery stores. I think we are in good shape. The way this country is headed it's only a matter of time before stores will be open on Christmas and Easter.

Considering the fact that our country is filled with people of all different religions and not just Christians, that would not be a bad thing.

Considering the fact that our country is filled with people of all different religions and not just Christians, that would not be a bad thing.

:thumbsup2 Either that, or close on all the holy days of all faiths.

The problem is I'm old school. I liked that we were not living and breathing for the almighty dollar. You still have 363 days to get what you need. If we close under the name of Christmas or Easter don't fix it because it's not broke. It's worked for a long time. I would also like to go back to when stores were closed on Sundays. I guess I'm really dreaming.

There are some malls near me in Toronto that are open on Christmas day and they are always PACKED! Crazy busy. I haven't been but I've heard about it and seen it on the news.

The problem is I'm old school. I liked that we were not living and breathing for the almighty dollar. You still have 363 days to get what you need. If we close under the name of Christmas or Easter don't fix it because it's not broke. It's worked for a long time. I would also like to go back to when stores were closed on Sundays. I guess I'm really dreaming.
Well then, why not have the stores close on Saturdays? After all, that's the Sabbath. So no one can do any business between sundown Friday and sundown Saturday. It worked for a long time also. ;)

But why stop at Christmas and Easter, what about all the other non Christian religious holidays that stores are open. I don't have a dog in this fight, I don't care one way or another whether stores choose to close or stay open. b I just don't agree with the idea that because its a religious holiday for some, and they want stores closed because its "their" holiday that is how it should be for all. If you don't want to spend your Easter out shopping, you don't have too, so what do you care if someone else can? As far as employees, well they can request the day off or part of it so they can spend some time with their family that day.

I think its pretty unrealistic nowadays to have stores closed on Sundays. Society has changed, we don't spend the 7th day resting, we don't spend every Sunday with family, etc. Sundays are no different than any other day for some, except in the fact that instead of having a couple hours after work to get their errands done, a person has the whole day to.

Well then, why not have the stores close on Saturdays? After all, that's the Sabbath. So no one can do any business between sundown Friday and sundown Saturday. It worked for a long time also. ;)
Was that in America?? I only recall Sunday's being a day stores were closed. I'm only speaking on behalf of America. I don't know how other countries work.

Sundays are our family chore going days. The week is so busy and Saturdays are filled with the kids activities. Sundays we go to church, and then do our grocery shopping, mall outings ,etc. After that we do an early dinner. Without those Sundays, I have no idea when we would get things done. They really are the best time for us to spend together and accomplish things! Please dont close stores on Sundays!!

To all the people who are saying that stores should be closed for all religions' special days if they are going to be closed for the Christian religious days. . .

Part of the beauty of our country is freedom of religion, and not freedom from religion. Whoever has the power within a company (e.g. owners, managers) can close on whatever days they want, as long as they are complying with the rules required of them by government entities.

A lot of people celebrate Easter in our country. In some ways, it's like Christmas. I bet a lot of people do egg hunts and the Easter bunny thing even though they aren't Christians. It makes sense that some places would be closed. I really wanted some In-N-Out Burger yesterday, but I wasn't annoyed to find them closed. I was happy for the employees that they got the day off. It's not my cross to bear (sorry - it fits!) if they are working someplace that happens to close on a day they would rather work. That was someone's choice when they chose the job. People are allowed to make choices, and we don't have to be offended FOR them.

Several places I'd like to go are closed every weekend just because they want to be closed on the weekends. Doesn't bother me. I don't like to work weekends, either.

If the owners/managers of a place are of a certain religion (be it Christianity, Judaism, Islamic, Sikh, Buddhist, Hindu, Scientology, Moonie, or Church of the Poison Mind - you name it), they may choose to close on their special days. But even if they are not of any certain religion, they can still close on whatever days they want. Do I sometimes wish Hobby Lobby or Chick-fil-A were open on Sundays? Yeah. But then I'm glad when I remember that the people who chose to work there get that day off, since they probably sought work there because of what they see as a benefit.

I'm a Christian. But it wouldn't bother me if the powers-that-be at a store wanted to close on other religion's holy days. I'd just make do. I am much more bothered when stores show greed, such as I felt they were doing last year with opening early for Black Friday (or is it now Black Thursday??). Thanksgiving is everyone's holiday. Everyone can be thankful, whether it's to God or to other human beings.

The things we find to complain about. . . And I don't exclude myself. I complain too much, too. We have it great in this country.

To all the people who are saying that stores should be closed for all religions' special days if they are going to be closed for the Christian religious days. . .

I think the thing that bothers me is not that the stores have decided to close for Christian holidays as opposed to others, its the fact that the people who are vocal about stores being closed for Christian holidays don't seem to be vocal about stores being closed for any other non Christian religious holiday.
There seems to be the thought that Christians deserve their holidays off, but nobody else does, KWIM.

I don't know how much more can be said without violating DIS rules.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter