Wow just checked MK wait times.

mousefan73

Germans are faster at dubbing
Am I naive but was shocked when I just checked some times. 135 min for Space and 120 for splash! 75 for BMRR.

We visiting in 3 weeks!! Hope things die down.

Three weeks from now it will be slower as many schools will be back in session. Right now is a busy week since a lot of families are getting that last week of vacation in before they have to gear up for school. I'd actually say they are somewhat normal wait times for this week of the year and this hour in the day.

Mid-day on a 9 day at MK when they opened at 8am? Yeah, I'd expect high posted wait times. (Actual wait times are likely to be lower, but still not desirable.)

Just points out the need to employ a strategy that avoids the high-demand attractions during peak demand times. RD, evening, EMH, etc.

Last edited:
We are usually late afternoon to close so no, we have never experienced this. No way I standing 2 hrs in line!!

Normal wait times for this week, that is why we are heading down Thursday and spending all next week in the parks. We are hoping for lower crowds (at least maybe a little) than when we are usually there (this week). We shall see :) It does die down quite a bit towards the end of August with school back in session in most places, you should be fine.

We just returned from a two-week stay at WDW. Compared to last year, many more people seemed to be aware of and using FP+ on their Magic Bands. Each morning the lines at the kiosks were long. Also, although a lot of FP holders used Magic Bands, a lot of guests were swiping their park tickets at the fast pass entrance as well. The result was that although the standby lines looks pretty manageable, the wait times were often very long. It would be interesting to know how many guests are now using FP + compared to say, a year ago. My point is, don't jump into a standby line because it looks short. And I agree that the standby line wait time estimates seemed somewhat inflated. We jumped into a Big Thunder line that said 30 minutes and were off the ride in 25 minutes for example.

We were able to do several rides at rope drop each morning. That hasn't changed. We also "saved" the rides that traditionally don't have wait times to use between our fast passes. For example, we had fast passes for Buzz Lightyear for 1-2pm and for Space Mountain from 2:30 - 3:30pm. We arrived at Buzz about 1:30. We then squeezed in COP and People mover (5 minute waits) prior to our Space fast pass time.

Have a great trip!!

If you had looked this morning during MK's 8am opening, you would have felt better. :-)

Checking at noon ET, you're going to see stuff like this.

Exactly. Check again tonight at 9:15 and you'll feel better, too.

we go in three weeks and every crowd planner I've seen has us at a 3, 4, or 5 out of 10 for crowds. We went the last week in August last year and it was noticeably less crowded compared to the first week in august.

When we see guests in those long lines we often ponder "Why?" Two hours is a long time to wait for anything even in the best of circumstances, much less standing in the heat with little kids. I guess if it's a once-in-a-lifetime trip you do what you must to see the attractions. I feel sorry for them knowing that with some planning & strategy they could have spent their time more wisely. I guess they come home from their trips having had some extended chats with their families while waiting in a queue. :earsboy:

ETA: Three weeks from now will be much different/lower crowds. I'd still have some plans for getting on the biggest attractions as early in the day as possible and using FP+

True story - In July 1996 (pre-FP times) I waited in line for Splash Mountain for 3 hours. [My excuse - I was young and stupid and heat and standing didn't effect me like it does now.]
Oh yeah, I remember waiting about that long for Splash as a kid in '94. Still was painful but really wanted to go on it after seeing the commercials.

We were there 3 weeks ago and went to Splash after Wishes (used fps for other things and later on fp for Splash had run out) and wait time was 45 minutes

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I remember waiting about that long for Splash as a kid in '94. Still was painful but really wanted to go on it after seeing the commercials

I also remember waiting a crazy long amount of time for Splash in 1994! I was 13 at the time so I guess wait times didn't bother me. :)

They wont be quite that bad in 3 weeks. A lot of schools aren't back in session yet.

it's also the middle of the day, when wait times peak.

I'll be there in 3 weeks too!

Like everyone said, I'm not worried about crowds. Taking advantage of magic hours and FP+. Plus I'll be a solo rider so that'll help.

Schools will be back in session (most) so that will definitely help. This is the busiest season for DIS so those times are to be expected today.

I know wait needs should slow by time we are there. Smartphones make our lives crazier ( i randomly check wait times on the app as a pre-trip excitment builder). Cool not being there but just knowing. kWIM??

I guess we are spoiled as we never been there and experienced those waits. Worse was Soarin 70 min. But due to storm so everyone ran in.

But maybe if it was our once in a life time trip you wait if you really want to ride

True story - In July 1996 (pre-FP times) I waited in line for Splash Mountain for 3 hours. [My excuse - I was young and stupid and heat and standing didn't effect me like it does now.]

Not only were you waiting 3 hours in the July heat, but it was also during a snowstorm, and you had to push the log up the hill yourself. Don't sugarcoat it for the youngsters!

;)

I remember waiting 2 hours for Spaceship Earth back in the 80s. Now, I won't wait more than 20 minutes for Spaceship Earth. Our kids here stories when they start complaining about 30 minute waits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter