Would you switch from WL to POR for the savings?

Aaaahh, y'all are so awesome!!! Except now with the suggestions of a split stay, free dining maybe (or maybe not?) being better savings than the RO, and it possibly being too late for renting points (I have to admit the bit of uncertainty with renting dvc throws me a bit), I may have to recalculate my "Disney math"! I'm back to the drawing board so I'll keep checking here and let you know how it turns out. Thank you, thank you for all the tips, suggestions, and opinions!!

Split stay with free dining would be hard as yo have to buy tickets on both reservations and deluxe rack rates are pretty steep. With deluxe we always come out better with room only discounts and paying for food OOP. We wind up wasting food on DDP and hate being forced to eat if we're not hungry

Are you a family of 4 or a family of 5? You'll only be guaranteed an Alligator Bayou room with a murphy bed if you're a family of 5. If you're a family of 4, it would be a request. Unless you book a preferred room, because all preferred rooms are in Alligator Bayou.

We would keep the WL if we were you. Only reason... POR or POFQ are our least favorite resorts. We had a bad experience there and since then I wont give them another shot.

I have been having a similar internal debate myself...GF or switch to POR for a $1700 (!!) savings. I realized it is about $200/nt more for GF, and the price diff would pay for our 8 day tix! I am still undecided. What am I getting for that $200 extra per night? Monorail access, gym...what else? Dates are 11/30-12/8.

Regarding the ddp: last year I did an experiment. We spent $1200 for the 5 of us on food w/out the ddp...a savings of $800. It was a 10 day trip. That $1200 did not incl alcohol or tips since the ddp doesn't include those either. The best part is we could eat how we want...an app instead of dessert, etc. I will only do ddp now if my only option for a discount is free dining.

Are you a family of 4 or a family of 5? You'll only be guaranteed an Alligator Bayou room with a murphy bed if you're a family of 5. If you're a family of 4, it would be a request. Unless you book a preferred room, because all preferred rooms are in Alligator Bayou.

I did not know this. We are a family of four so that goes in the POR "con" list.

Regarding the ddp: last year I did an experiment. We spent $1200 for the 5 of us on food w/out the ddp...a savings of $800. It was a 10 day trip. That $1200 did not incl alcohol or tips since the ddp doesn't include those either. The best part is we could eat how we want...an app instead of dessert, etc. I will only do ddp now if my only option for a discount is free dining.

Also good to know. Eating how we want sounds similar to your family's style. My dh did not like the limitations of the dining plan so that's why we won't do it this go-around. He's not a huge Disney fan like I am so I want him to be happy, happy, happy!

Gosh, I know it is tough, and really only you have all the variables that will drive your final decision. All I can tell you is our experience...

I have stayed at both, and I can tell you that WL is our favorite resort.
But last year we were looking to save some money, like you, to spend elsewhere, and had a 8 day trip planned for POR. There were 5 of us and we had the Murphy bed. POR is pretty, I liked it. The CMs were really great, and there are some wonderful hammocks to relax in. I was happy enough there. Room was a little squishy maybe, with 5 ppl, but not terrible. The walk was far, but big deal, it's DW, walking is what we do, right? And the buses were ok. I can't stand the way people kinda push on, but it is what it is.

On our 3rd day we went to our ADR at Artist Point for dinner and to look around our favorite resort and enjoy the decorations. That boat ride to the resort. :cloud9: I mean, really. Hard to compete with that.

I think we were all kinda bummed about not staying there, but trying not to talk about it. So. While we were taking some photos in front of the big tree, my DH slipped off to the desk and inquired about availability; he ended up getting us a semi-deal on a deluxe club level room. The next day we moved. So much for saving money. :rotfl2: And we had the DxDDP so yikes, we had so much food. Not the best planning, but my DH said he just couldn't take POR any longer. It wasn't anything, other than he missed the WL. And the 8 year old was so happy. Who knows about 8 year olds with resort preferences. :cool2: What the heck is up with that? Oh, and he loves Artist Point. He is so weird. Artist Point is where he wants to go for his birthday. I'm saying, "not, uhm, Crystal Palace? Or Sci-Fi? or BOG? Seriously? Artist Point?" Boy better be taking the trash out and making his bed every single morning, all I'm saying. But I digress.

This December we are going to BC. Club Level. (Then split stay at WL, which is the only way I could talk him into the BC) Oh, and we SHOULD HAVE NEVER STAYED CL. :rotfl2: Look what happens...

But at least this time we have enough sense not to do the DXDDP.

Long story to say that unless it is go to POR or not get to go, you probably shouldn't switch. Just my humble opinion. Look at all the numbers, free dining versus room only discount and think about how much you want to dine and where.

Good luck with your decision, and I wish you tons of pixiedust: wherever you stay!

Gosh, I know it is tough, and really only you have all the variables that will drive your final decision. All I can tell you is our experience...

But last year we were looking to save some money, like you, to spend elsewhere, and had a 8 day trip planned for POR. There were 5 of us and we had the Murphy bed. POR is pretty, I liked it. The CMs were really great, and there are some wonderful hammocks to relax in. I was happy enough there. Room was a little squishy maybe, with 5 ppl, but not terrible. The walk was far, but big deal, it's DW, walking is what we do, right? And the buses were ok. I can't stand the way people kinda push on, but it is what it is.

On our 3rd day we went to our ADR at Artist Point for dinner and to look around our favorite resort and enjoy the decorations. That boat ride to the resort. :cloud9: I mean, really. Hard to compete with that.

I think we were all kinda bummed about not staying there, but trying not to talk about it. So. While we were taking some photos in front of the big tree, my DH slipped off to the desk and inquired about availability; he ended up getting us a semi-deal on a deluxe club level room. The next day we moved. So much for saving money. :rotfl2: And we had the DxDDP so yikes, we had so much food. Not the best planning, but my DH said he just couldn't take POR any longer. It wasn't anything, other than he missed the WL. And the 8 year old was so happy. Who knows about 8 year olds with resort preferences. :cool2: What the heck is up with that? Oh, and he loves Artist Point. He is so weird. Artist Point is where he wants to go for his birthday. I'm saying, "not, uhm, Crystal Palace? Or Sci-Fi? or BOG? Seriously? Artist Point?" Boy better be taking the trash out and making his bed every single morning, all I'm saying. But I digress.

This December we are going to BC. Club Level. (Then split stay at WL, which is the only way I could talk him into the BC) Oh, and we SHOULD HAVE NEVER STAYED CL. :rotfl2: Look what happens...

Long story to say that unless it is go to POR or not get to go, you probably shouldn't switch. Just my humble opinion. Look at all the numbers, free dining versus room only discount and think about how much you want to dine and where.

Good luck with your decision, and I wish you tons of pixiedust: wherever you stay!

Bahaha, we had a similar experience years back. We were actually in the central Florida area to attend Sun n Fun, the week long airshow/fly in. We had driven down instead of taking the Piper so hubby told me that I could book us outside of Lakeland since he knew I wasn't very happy with their accommodations and we were sooooo close to WDW. Well, since we weren't really planning on going to any parks I booked us at Hotel Royal Plaza in the Downtown Disney Resort area. Not a bad hotel and the room wasn't bad, actually decent sized. Well, we did the airshow and he agreed to doing a couple of park days as we had leftover tickets (back when they were non expiring). We drove over and took the trolly from the parking lot since we didn't want to rely on the hotel buses. Oh, did I mention that this was SPRING BREAK? We went to MK and the park was fun, then back out to the parking. Well, we had some real pieces of work waiting for the trolley with us. Refused to remove their snowflake from the stroller and fold it up. The driver said I'm sorry, you can't keep the child in the stroller. Nope, they wouldn't budge, this went on for around 10 minutes before security arrived. Hubby loped at me and said "get us a room onsite, NOW" Wound up booking CR and moving over as soon as we returned to the hotel :lmao:

Point I'm trying to make, book what will make you happy :) And I can't imagine not being happy with WL at Christmas time.

I've stayed at most of the resorts and find nothing wrong with going back to a value or moderate resort. If you only go once a year, it may be worth it to spend what, something like 10% more on your vacation?? If you put it in a percent, it doesn't sound so bad.

But I go 3 or 4 times a year so I need to spread out those big expense trips. I'd just make sure the bed arrangements are comfy. You can always go resort hopping and eat some dinners there. I don't spend THAT much time at the resort I'm staying at. POR is my top moderate resort. AKL is usually the cheapest of the deluxe. BC is my favorite, because I love EPCOT.

I did not know this. We are a family of four so that goes in the POR "con" list.

In all fairness, there are more rooms in Alligator Bayou than there are in the mansion section, since half the mansion section is occupied by royal rooms. So your chances of getting an AB room are pretty good. But it's still something to consider if separate beds for the kids are a definite must.

I've stayed in POR twice and I enjoyed it. Would I personally make the change from WL to POR? Depends on any extras I want to do. The biggest draw for me in regards to WL is the indoor corridors, themeing for the holidays, and proximity to MK. In the evening I just love hoping on the boats and just going around Bay lake. Some find it old and annoying but, I love the water pageant too!

In terms of the grounds, POR is gorgeous, relaxing and has the boats to DTD. I haven't had a bus issue minus one afternoon in June that a storm slowed up the fleet and we waited about 40 mins to board a bus anywhere to transfer to WL for Whispering Canyon ADR. It has outdoor corridors which stinks when it's raining. It's a HUGE resort so depending on where your staying it's a jog to the food court.

You have Yee haw Bob playing the piano at night. Horse drawn carriage rides.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay in either. I would go down to the All Stars for a chance to do the Hoop Dee Doo! :-)

Thank you! I am cracking up at your story because my kids also don't really want to stay anywhere else and they have some gourmet tastes themselves! They do love the lodge. The only thing that swayed my dd was the picture of the alligator with the frogs sleeping on its belly on the back of the Murphy bed! Lol..it's the little things, I guess. Now my dh has mentioned using points for an offsite resort. Nooooooo!! Trying to conceal my panic!:duck:

I've stayed in POR twice and I enjoyed it. Would I personally make the change from WL to POR? Depends on any extras I want to do. The biggest draw for me in regards to WL is the indoor corridors, themeing for the holidays, and proximity to MK. In the evening I just love hoping on the boats and just going around Bay lake. Some find it old and annoying but, I love the water pageant too!

In terms of the grounds, POR is gorgeous, relaxing and has the boats to DTD. I haven't had a bus issue minus one afternoon in June that a storm slowed up the fleet and we waited about 40 mins to board a bus anywhere to transfer to WL for Whispering Canyon ADR. It has outdoor corridors which stinks when it's raining. It's a HUGE resort so depending on where your staying it's a jog to the food court.

You have Yee haw Bob playing the piano at night. Horse drawn carriage rides.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay in either. I would go down to the All Stars for a chance to do the Hoop Dee Doo! :-)

We've never done the Hoop Dee Doo so I am super-excited about that! Now that he's mentioned off-site, I may have to counter with All Stars. I would rather save longer and go another time to be in the "magic bubble" if it comes down to that. We shall see! Why can't everyone love Disney as much as we do? :rotfl:

Bahaha, we had a similar experience years back...

Point I'm trying to make, book what will make you happy :) And I can't imagine not being happy with WL at Christmas time.

I have a feeling we might be the same! We don't go that often and this may be it for awhile. WL at Christmas time is for sure my "heart's desire"; it would be a dream trip!

We are lucky to be within 7 hours driving time so that cuts down on our financial output (although a 90 minute flight is looking better and better (once we get to ATL, a 90 minute drive..). We tend to make more frequent short trips, four night max, sometimes less. My husband is considered an independent contractor, so if he doesn't work he doesn't get paid, no paid vacation. Our girls are older too, youngest is a high school senior, older one is in college, so we have started taking little "Mom & Dad" trips which saves too

We are lucky to be within 7 hours driving time so that cuts down on our financial output (although a 90 minute flight is looking better and better (once we get to ATL, a 90 minute drive..). We tend to make more frequent short trips, four night max, sometimes less. My husband is considered an independent contractor, so if he doesn't work he doesn't get paid, no paid vacation. Our girls are older too, youngest is a high school senior, older one is in college, so we have started taking little "Mom & Dad" trips which saves too

That's cool that your dh is on board. Don't get me wrong when I say this trip might be it for a while...I would go every year if my DH would let me!! He is just not a big fan and prefers the relaxation of the beach. :) I'm trying to get him to embrace his "Disney side", hence the extras like the Hoop Dee Doo, and the brunch, and a few more days than the last couple of trips so we can be a little more relaxed. Our first (and last) trip with him was five days and so "rush, rush, rush" that they still talk about me marching them around the parks. I couldn't help myself 'cause I was so excited! hehe.. But I don't want to do that this trip. My point is I'm trying to let him decide and give him some options (but not off-site! Where did that come from? Geez... lol...) I am so excited to know that so many folks love POR; almost equal to those who love WL. I know we would be happy at either. Thanks again, everyone!

Jeff's good, he likes the deluxe hotels, hates the moderates so it's a no brainer for me, just book whichever deluxe we feel like. We did not care for AKL at all, Prefer the monorail resorts (his latest favorite was the Poly and then they went and messed it up) but our last stay was BC with an upgrade to 2 BR suite from standard room. We like WL but if the girls are with us it gets a bit tight in the smaller rooms. We prefer to go in the fall but lately with high school football (our younger one is drum major this year) we won't get a visit.....booo!

Dh always gives me a vacation budget and I make all of the decisions. We had always stayed at WL but last year increased airfare was causing me to go slightly over budget (not much over but going over budget makes DH grumpy). I decided to go with CSR which came in way under budget. We agreed CSR was not as nice but DH was HAPPY to spend money on other things that made vacation extra fun. We will be there in Dec again and decided on CSR again because it is hard to Justify the extra $1k+ on the hotel.

...and we're sticking with the WL! I wound up subtracting a day from the trip which also eliminated the brunch, so a little compromise wound up making the budget, dh and me happy. So excited! We're going to Walt Disney World!!! Thanks again for all the help. Y'all are the best! :)

...and we're sticking with the WL! I wound up subtracting a day from the trip which also eliminated the brunch, so a little compromise wound up making the budget, dh and me happy. So excited! We're going to Walt Disney World!!! Thanks again for all the help. Y'all are the best! :)

Yay, Love the Wilderness Lodge!

I was curious to hear from someone who has switched resorts mid way. If it was worth the hassle. I Was thinking of going WL then BC and planning all close events to coincide.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter