Would you split stay?

mrsp1030

DIS Veteran
We are suppose to be coming down next week, April 2-7. The plan has been to stay offsite as we have a Marriott rewards stay booked at harbour lakes for me, DH, ds 6, ds 4, and ds 8 months. We were also planning to stay offsite as our kids want to do seaworld one day. Would you keep the reservation as is or would you add two nights at wilderness lodge in order to take breaks for MK? If we added we were thinking Tuesday and Wednesday and hit MK on Wednesday and DHs on Thursday? Or would you just get up early and get to parks?

Are you planning to do two WDW park days during your entire trip? If that is the case, then a stay at WL for two nights could be nice. I am assuming that you would check out of WL Thursday morning, pack up your car and then head to HS. From there you would go to your offsite hotel, right?

If you are planning to stay at the parks all day on your MK and HS day, then I would say you would be better off at the offsite hotel. Unless you plan to spend a lot of time at WL, it might not be worth the hassle of changing hotels for a five night trip.

I'm not exacly sure what you are asking...

First thing- this late- I would check about cancel policies, if you mean to cancel some nights at Marriott. Make sure you don't have a prepaid rate. Also, if you are going to do this - make sure what you want at WL is available.

For me, I usually book everything with a discount. I would not be inclined to trade any room where I had a good discount for a room at rack rates- esp WDW rack rates. If you are happy with the available options though, then sure, you could add a few onsite nights. I have certian had my cahre of successful split stays, so in general I like the idea of them.

Remember though, you will lose time when you transfer hotels. You also will have a gap- between when you check out of one resort- and maybe as late as 4pm. Disney wil stow luggage, but it still takes time to pack and unpack. So the loss of time put into transferring will be greater than the benefit of being at WL for two days.

Usually when my trip gets close...I'm not sure how to say this...but I start to get a mental image of where we are staying. Once that happens, I'm reluctant to make changes.

Also, even if you are staying offsite, you can certainly visit WL (for a break). you can't go to a room, but you can hang out in the lobby and have some relaxation time. I'm also not exactly sure where your particular Marriott is located - but it may well be perfectly reasonable to take a break at your resort. For HS, we usually cover all we want in the park by about 4pm.

Thanks for the advice. This is our first time staying offsite and part of me was starting to get nervous with all the spring break crowds and all. I've decided to stay put and try it out. We want a get away and being at the harbour lakes will give us that feeling for most of the trip. One crazy day at magic kingdom will be enough as we are sure to return in a year or two most.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter