Would you rather....

ANGRebel

Mouseketeer
I know this is a DCL board, and therefore the answers may be slightly slanted, but I am going to ask the question anyway...

Would you rather spend 5 nights in an OKW 1BR just before Christmas (see final year of Osborne Lights, Christmas décor, etc.) or take the 7 night Bahamas cruise on the Wonder out of Galveston over Thanksgiving week (Departing 20 Nov)?

About us: Myself (32), Wife (30), DD (5) and DD (2). Wife and I have been on the Fantasy without kids, kids have not done a cruise yet. We thought the week on the Fantasy was perhaps our favorite vacation we have done. The only real holdup is that the 2 year old cannot go to the kids club, and would have to use the nursery. I understand why she can't, but I wish she could since she is already potty trained and would have her sister with her (they are so close). I do understand that an almost 3 year old does take a little more attention from the cast members than a 3.5-4 year old. I don't mind paying for the nursery for 1-2 nights for some adult time, but I know she would rather have the time playing with her sister in the club if she could. I am sure we would spend some time in the clubs during the open houses to let her try it out, and she would be 3 before our next cruise so she could try them out fully then.

I know this is a DCL board, and therefore the answers may be slightly slanted, but I am going to ask the question anyway...

Would you rather spend 5 nights in an OKW 1BR just before Christmas (see final year of Osborne Lights, Christmas décor, etc.) or take the 7 night Bahamas cruise on the Wonder out of Galveston over Thanksgiving week (Departing 20 Nov)?

About us: Myself (32), Wife (30), DD (5) and DD (2). Wife and I have been on the Fantasy without kids, kids have not done a cruise yet. We thought the week on the Fantasy was perhaps our favorite vacation we have done. The only real holdup is that the 2 year old cannot go to the kids club, and would have to use the nursery. I understand why she can't, but I wish she could since she is already potty trained and would have her sister with her (they are so close). I do understand that an almost 3 year old does take a little more attention from the cast members than a 3.5-4 year old. I don't mind paying for the nursery for 1-2 nights for some adult time, but I know she would rather have the time playing with her sister in the club if she could. I am sure we would spend some time in the clubs during the open houses to let her try it out, and she would be 3 before our next cruise so she could try them out fully then.

I would do WDW at Christmas this year and wait a year or 2 before going the cruise so your daughters can be together in the clubs.

With that in mind, in our 4 cruises our kids have only spent about 3 hours total in the clubs, we all hang out together doing activities the whole time.

Just my $.02

I would also vote for OKW (and I cannot stand the parks!) this year and cruise when the kiddos can enjoy the clubs together.

WDW over Christmas. Wait until your kiddo can use the clubs...that itinerary will be there next year (though maybe not out of TX over Thanksgiving).

Next year the Wonder is cruising out of Galveston for Thanksgiving week, although it will be a Western rather than Bahamas sailing.
I would vote for OKW this year. We are making a special short trip to the world just to see the Osborne Lights one last time.

I would cruise 10000000000 times over going to the parks. So much is closed etc. we tend to go in the winter so I've seen the xmas stuff A LOT. if you haven't ever seen the lights, then go! Can't go wrong, we just enjoy cruising more. Your kids are going to be with you just as much at WDW compared to the cruise. So I wouldn't let the ages or use of kids clubs per se sway me.

Just before Xmas means???? If it's a few days before Xmas I'd pick the cruise. The crowds at WDW at Xmas/near xmas are a nightmare and standing in line with a toddler to go on rides and waiting 45+ minutes is NO fun for this family.

Just before Xmas means???? If it's a few days before Xmas I'd pick the cruise. The crowds at WDW at Xmas/near xmas are a nightmare and standing in line with a toddler to go on rides and waiting 45+ minutes is NO fun for this family.

The trip at Christmas would be 19-23 December. We are still uncertain on which way to go. I really like the idea of having the extra time to relax on the cruise, but I kow the girls really enjoy the parks as well.

The trip at Christmas would be 19-23 December. We are still uncertain on which way to go. I really like the idea of having the extra time to relax on the cruise, but I kow the girls really enjoy the parks as well.
I'm surprised so many people would pick WDW. From what I have read some of those days the parks are filled to capacity. I can't even imagine trying to enjoy myself around that many people. That's the nice thing about the cruise....only so many people can fit on a cruise ship. To each their own I say......

I'm surprised so many people would pick WDW. From what I have read some of those days the parks are filled to capacity. I can't even imagine trying to enjoy myself around that many people. That's the nice thing about the cruise....only so many people can fit on a cruise ship. To each their own I say......

I think most of us are saying wait a year to cruise because the OPs daughters will be able to enjoy the clubs together the following year, at least that's why I said it. If it wasn't for that I'd say do the cruise for sure.

I'd still do the cruise. But wild horses couldn't drag me to the parks at peak times. And the nursery on the ships is great even though it's not free. But everyone has their own preferences! There's no right or wrong.

Last year of Osborne lights? WHY?????

First Disney Quest and now the lights! I only saw them once but it was such a thrill to stand in the middle of the "street" watching the lights and listening to the music...

I normally am all about a relaxing cruise, but I would choose WDW. Your 2 year old gets in for free. Wait and do the cruise when he can enjoy the kids club with his sister (since he isn't cruising for free!)

I think most of us are saying wait a year to cruise because the OPs daughters will be able to enjoy the clubs together the following year, at least that's why I said it. If it wasn't for that I'd say do the cruise for sure.
I know but I can't imagine trying to maneuver around the parks with a stroller in those insane crowds, and can you imagine the wait times for probably every ride! I can't imagine children that age being patient at all for that. I know it doesn't bother some, hence the at capacity crowds.....but I don't see that as a fun family vacation at all.....it just surprises me that so many do.....but I guess that's what makes the world go round.......

I'd go cruise.

Parks will be insanely busy.

Family will be all together in the parks or all together on the ship.

The girls will have opportunities to go play together in the club/lab during Open House times.

Disclaimer: in my age I have less & less tolerance for parks crowds. Non-peak attendance is pretty much a no for me nowadays so peak times would be a full survival ordeal. Not fun on any level for me.

That is tough. I want to say to wait til the 2 year old is 3 like others have posted, but I also wouldn't dare go to WDW for those dates you posted as it would be a nightmare. Any reason you can't plan a lower crowd time for WDW, like early Dec, since the kids are so young and don't have to worry about school? Or possibly wait a few months to cruise once the 2 year old turns 3?

That is tough. I want to say to wait til the 2 year old is 3 like others have posted, but I also wouldn't dare go to WDW for those dates you posted as it would be a nightmare. Any reason you can't plan a lower crowd time for WDW, like early Dec, since the kids are so young and don't have to worry about school? Or possibly wait a few months to cruise once the 2 year old turns 3?

Even though the girls are not in school yet, Mommy is a school teacher and so we are limited to school breaks for vacation. Both girls have already been to WDW multiple times. I think our 5 year old has been to WDW 7 separate times, and the 2 year old has been 3 times (most recently for her 2nd B'day in March). We will definitely be making a WDW trip sometime in 2016, probably the fall for MNSSHP. We get plenty of opportunities to get a Disney fix (my wife would probably say too many). ha ha.

Last year of Osborne lights? WHY?????

First Disney Quest and now the lights! I only saw them once but it was such a thrill to stand in the middle of the "street" watching the lights and listening to the music...

I normally am all about a relaxing cruise, but I would choose WDW. Your 2 year old gets in for free. Wait and do the cruise when he can enjoy the kids club with his sister (since he isn't cruising for free!)

Due the expansion of the new Toy Story and Star Wars lands, MGM is getting some major renovations. Part of that will mean they can no longer do the Osborne Lights. http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...a-delightful-holiday-tradition-one-more-time/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter