Would you rather lose pounds or inches? (long)

ZerasPride

DVC Member Since 2001
Okay, boys and girls, here I sit at the same weight for the third week in a row. Dare I say it? I've hit another dang plateau!!!! :mad:

I need some advice/encouragement/or a good kick in the butt (your choice). I have upped my exercise (cardio and weight training) routine with the Firm tapes and even sometimes do two work outs a day. My goal is to get the scale moving again, instead of that happening though, I'm losing inches. In doing so, I have gone down another pants size, actually about two. My size 14 jeans were so baggy I went to buy a size 12 and they were fairly lose on me so I grabbed a size 10 never thinking they would even go above my hips but they did! Yes, I had to hold my breath in while I zipped the size 10 jeans up and no they are not very comfy, as a matter of fact, they are tight. I'm thinking about taking them back to the store and getting a size 12 in another style since the style I tried in a size 12 seemed kind of baggy.

Anyway, I'd like to know if you all like losing pounds or inches better. I am 5'1" and weigh 196 pounds. I never expected to wear a size 10 jeans or a size 12 at this weight. I also wear medium tops and sometimes small. How can this be? According to the weight charts I'm at least 60 pounds from a "healthy" weight. Yet, I look good and feel absolutely great! I hear from people constantly how they can't believe I'm shrinking before their eyes. But the scale is not budging. What is up with that? I know muscle is more dense than fat and I know sometimes we hold on to water when we up our exercise but I just don't understand how I can be a size 12 at this weight! It's driving me nuts!!!!

I guess this is a rant post of sorts. I want that scale to go down, down, down. I want to be in a healthy weight range for my height. Here I imagined that when I was about 140 pounds I'd be in a size 10 or maybe an 8 but to be a size 12 at this weight makes me think I should go for a "size" goal instead of a "weight" goal.

Help!!! All thoughts are appreciated! :teeth:

INCHES! INCHES! INCHES!:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

I think it is all about feeling good. And I personally feel better about myself when I look good. So if I could get back to a size 10 or a size 8, I would be happy. I KNOW I could never weigh what I weighed 15 years ago. That is just SO beyond the realm of possibility. And I think I would look terrible if I weighed that little now. It looked fine 15 yrs ago, but now I would look sickly.:o

Our bodies change as we age. Maybe it is hormones, maybe it is from childbearing, I don't know. But I weighed about 123 when I got married and wore a size 6. If I could get down to 145, I would probably be in a size 8. That is a big difference in weight, and 145 would be REALLY pushing it for me, but that is absolutely the lowest I would want to go.

Be happy that you are losing inches and shrinking. The weight, like age, is just a number. Who cares what you weigh if you are a size 8? or even a 10??:teeth: You have made amazing progress and it is showing. Throw out the scale and celebrate your success!!!:p

TTFN-
Sharon :sunny:

Lisa - Huge congrats on the size 12!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:cheer2: :cheer2: :rockband: :thewave: :rockband: :cheer2::cheer2:

I know that you have struggled with this for a while.

I know in my head that I want to be smaller and fit comfortably in size 10s and lose this pouch around my belly. I think you'd tell me that I want to lose inches. Something engrained in me says that I need to lose pounds, even though my brain tells me inches.

I think you're doing the same thing to yourself. Not to mention, many of those charts are not made for people with lots of muscle. You work out like crazy, so I'm guessing you're darn near solid muscle. If you feel good and you're happy with how you look, isn't that what it's all about????

Check your body fat again. See what's normal. Are you in the normal range? If so, you're where you want to be, aren't you?

If you REALLY need reassurance, I have 2 options for you:

1. See your doctor. She/he will tell you if you still should lose more weight or if you're ok.

2. Post your current picture in a bathing suit. We'll let you know if you need to lose any more! ;)

(I would love to see before and after pictues, though)

The only other thing I can think of is that your scale is WRONG! (I'd go more for the muscle aspect, though)

You're doing awesome. I would vote for inches being more important. At some point in time, we have to get over the whole pounds thing! (Sorry for the ramble)

Weight loss is really such a mind game, isn't it? :hug:

For myself, I honestly would rather lose the inches than the pounds. I would know then that I have healthy muscle on my body instead of deadly fat. It's exciting to see the scales go down but it's also very exciting to measure and say Holy Cow, I just lost 4" off my waist! I say if you are still losing inches and you keep having to buy small sizes then you are doing something very right! You have lost a tremendous amount of weight in less than a year and to be in 10-12 at 196lbs. and only being 5'1", girlfriend, you are a superstar! Please don't let those scales get you down. You are an inspiration to many, myself included. I'm 5'5" and I guarantee you I will most likely not be in that small of a size when I get to 196, that's just a testament of how awesome you have done.

Right now my goal weight is 135 but I promise you if I get to 150 or even higher and I am happy with how I look and feel then I'm going to try my best not to get caught up in this numbers game. It won't do anything but make you crazy.

Hang in there hon, you really are amazing. :hug:

It all depends on what body type you are, and where you are carrying your weight. More of my weight is in my lower half than my upper half, so where do you think I'm losing weight first? Ding, ding, ding - if you said bra/cup size, you'd be right! (and for the size of the rest of me, the cups should be much bigger - lol)

Even when I was in that weight range, the smallest I got was to a size 14, so again, it all depends on where you're carrying the weight. I'm also quite a bit taller - I'm 5'11" :)

Edited to add: Duh, I guess it would be nice if I answered the question...lol. I'd rather lose inches than pounds, if given the choice. Knowing that I'm in a smaller size does more for my self-esteem than hearing pounds lost - since I don't always see the loss on myself with the numbers; I do when I buy a smaller size, though! :)

In fact, when I was a few pounds from goal I almost stopped because I fit into a size 4 pants and I never intended to go below 6. I lost the last few for psychological reasons, but I was happy to see that my goal was just as aggressive as it needed to be.

PS. I'm 5'3" and lost 31 pounds, going from a 12-14 to a 4-6. I'm still a bit bigger than that up top. PLUS, it took me almost a year. I hit a couple big plateaus along the way but just stayed patient and kept at it and eventually the scale budged.

Screw the scale, Lisa....You are a workout FIRM goddess!!! I think wearing smaller size clothing ( losing the inches ) is much better than any specific scale number. The other night I reluctantly tried on some size 12 jeans because my 14's were a little loose. I really didn't think they would fit at all, but they did, a little snug, but I'm wearing them! And the scale is still pretty much the same, so what's up with that? Of course, they're the "stretch" jeans with the spandex in them, but they're more comfortable with a little "give."

Don't worry about plateaus...you have lost over 86 lbs. for goodness sake---you rule girlfriend!!! By the time you hit goal, you'll be in a size 2 or something!:earseek:

INCHES, NOT POUNDS, = HEALTHIER BODY ::yes::

I'd rather loose inches too. And you know that muscle weighs more than fat :) So you are building muscle!!!
Great job. Feels good to get into those size 10s doens't it???? Even if they are tight, they won't be forever.
Congrats!

Cathy

I'd rather lose inches than pounds.
I've lost 53 pounds, but when I weighed this weight 10 years ago I wore a size 8. Now I'm the same weight as then, but wear a size mostly 12.
Definately inches.

First off Lisa it's great to see you! :wave2: I have to admit I miss your journals quite a lot. It was a daily stop for me on my lunch break but I can imagine how time consuming keeping up with one is. :) I want to echo the others that it's getting SMALLER that we are all trying for. You wear a size 10? A Small and Medium? That is so incredible!! Your journey is so encouraging for all of us and the results you are having are just astounding. I'm so proud of you and know that you will continue to have success (including the scale department again soon) ::yes:: Your body is adjusting to all of the changes you are making and just probably needs a bit of a rest - before you know it you'll be losing again - I know it. ::yes::

Im kinda caught between the two.. But if I had to pick one over the other I would say inches!

Amazing Lisa:

I'd rather lose inches all the way over pounds any day. In fact, since I've been so busy with school and work, I've had difficulty getting my exercise in. The scale has only gone up 2 lbs, but all of my jeans are tight!

Have you thought of getting a body fat/muscle test done...I'm willing to bet it has come way down and your muscle has gone way up. Also, I'm really very busty. If you have it up top too, that may be why those smaller pants sizes are fitting so well without being into a "healthy weight" range.

Look how far you've come this year and give yourself a great big pat on the back! (treating yourself to a day at the salon wouldn't be bad reward either.)

-Laurie:sunny:

Thanks guys!!! You just don't know how much your words of encouragement mean to me. I was driving myself nuts with the scale (time for another stay off the scale challenge maybe? :tongue: ). This board is such a great place to come when you're feeling frustrated. Thanks a bunch to each of you again.

Sharon - you just don't know how tempted I am to throw the dang scale out! Thanks for supporting me and helping me get through this rough patch!

Carrie - hi ya gal! I hope all is well with you! I did see my doctor about all this and she "encouraged" me, since I'm so short, to get down to about 120. I don't think so!!!! First off, I don't want to be that thin and second, I'd probably have to practically starve myself and work out 3x a day to get to that goal. I have some before pics and I'll be taking a few "during" pics at Hilton Head on vacation and then I'll post them so you guys can see my progress. To help me along and never forget where I came from, I carry one of before pics in my wallet. Boy is that inspiring to stay on track!

Princess Michelle - thanks so much for the encouraging words! You are so right that if I am feeling happy and satisfied with what I see in the mirror and the size clothes I can wear, then I shouldn't care what the scale says. But, like you said, this scale thing is such a mind game. I'm trying to come to terms with it though.

Cookie - Thanks for sharing your opinion with me. It always seems we lose in the places we really want to hang on to and don't lose in the areas we really want/need to!

disneygoof - what a great job you have done! Like you, I need to be patient and know the scale will budge eventually. Thanks for sharing your story with me. It helps a lot!

AuroraluvsPhillip - congrats on those size 12's!!!! What an accomplishment. You must be thrilled. The size 10's I picked up are the same stretchy material, they are comfortable but a bit snug. I'm still wrestling with whether I'll take them back and get a 12 or not. In some ways I'd like to keep them because I know they will fit well eventually. Anyway, let's both keep up the great work!

Cathy - you are so right, the size 10's won't be tight forever. Your comment makes me want to hold on to them but I want to wear them on vacation and I'm not sure I'll be able to breath comfortably in them! :hyper:

disneysnowflake - your example is a good one to show how losing inches is better than pounds. Congrats on losing 53 pounds. That's awesome!

kayeandjim00 - I've been thinking of picking up journaling again and your comment is certainly an encouragement. I do miss it and I'm glad you enjoyed reading about my daily antics! If I start back up again (it would be some time next month), I'll let you know. You are so right that getting smaller is the key. Thanks for the encouragement that the scale will start moving again, eventually.

bettyann29 - everyone seems to be in agreement that the inches are better. Thanks for posting and encouraging me! I appreciate it!

Laurie - Hi there! I would love to get a body fat analysis done (one of the underwater ones). I should talk to my doctor about it. I do the measuring thing at the mybodycomp site but I don't know how accurate it really is. I can so relate to the big bust comment. When I first started WISH about a year ago, my chest measured 53 inches across (yikes) and just this morning I measure about 39.5 across so I'm very pleased with how my chest has shrunk. But I'm still big up top, at least a DD. So I could stand to lose quite a few more inches off the chest and yes this probably accounts for why I can wear smaller pant sizes and still weigh heavier on the scale. Thanks, I never thought about that before. I am thinking of giving myself a spa treatment reward when I hit the big 1-0-0 pound lose. I've never done anything like that before and it would certainly be a treat!

Lisa,

First can I say HOW JEALOUS I AM! Size 12 Loose WOW! Forget that scale toss it out! SIZE 12 LOOSE! 10's alittle snug! You (in a size 10) are my goal! - I don't have a weight goal but a size goal and its a 10! So my vote is INCHES over pounds!(but I got to admit i like to lose lbs too!) But inches first!

YOU RULE!!!

Sue:D

PS
I second the before and after pictures - they will give us inspiration to say - HECK WITH THE SCALE!!!

)Lisa, lisa, lisa. I knew something was going on with how much you stopped posting. I just want to offer encouragement. Hang in there. The inches do something to your body that losing weight just can't.

I went through the same thing. When I was in high school and 130 I was a size ten. Since doing the firm (as you are:teeth: ) I too have lost more inches than weight. 128 and a size 4 and moving towards that size 2. I never imagined that it would be this way. My goal was high school weight, but I've surpassed it by all this exercise and love being in a 4. I'm shorter than you at 4'11. Quite frankly, I think I look great despite those stupid chart measures and stuff. Keep up the exercise. With all the muscle that we are getting, our weight will stay off. Don't give up now!!!!!!!! Keep up with the SB way of eating and keep firming, you are already seeing the results ::yes:: We did that stay off the scale challenge and said it would no longer rule us. Remember that and remember what the firm says, throw away the scale.

Now repeat after me.......

STEP AWAY FROM THE SCALE!!!

I second the need for another Stay Off the Scale Challenge. I think I'm ready this time, alhtough I'm a little afraid of doing it over the holidays.

Hi Lisa....panfan here....haven't been here in a few days or I would have replied sooner to this!

INCHES NOT LBS!!! See a trend here ??

You are one mean, lean, muscle machine!!! I think I posted to you in the summer about the same thing ........
I weigh 150 and can't even fit into my 10's and the 12's are tight! So you are wearing the same sizes (sorta) and weigh what you do.....see you have the firm -workout body and I am completely out of shape.....Although I am trying again!

Another example.....My sister has been doing Atkins and excercising for the first time in her life! I saw her last week....I couldn't believe it! Although she weighs 15lbs MORE than she did when she got married 3 years ago.....SHE IS MUCH , MUCH SMALLER!!! She used to have ....should I say "saddlebags" BIG TIME( so do I by the way).....now ....I'm not kidding....they are non-existent!!! She has a firm, tight bottom and legs! So , my point is:

EXCERCISE IS THE KEY!!!! ( as we all know of coarse!)

YOu have lost those pounds and completely transformed your body and you should be very proud and STAY OFF THE SCALE FOR A WHILE.......AND GO SHOPPING FOR NEW CLOTHES:Pinkbounc

thanks for listening
Dawn :D

INCHES by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar. People are way to scale-obsessed! When people look at you in public, they dont ask you to stand on a scale, they adore they way you look (your size, your lack of inches!) Plus like you already know muscle weighs more than fat, so thats why youre not losing the lbs. You may have lost all the fat your body is willing to give up, so dont be upset if you go up in weight as you build more muscle! I'm not going to lie with all that muscle you have I think I might be frightened to run into you on the road for fear you could crush me with your first!!! I'm about 5'2 and trying to eat healthy and run 26 miles a week, I've noticed that i'm losing inches but my weight is staying the same and I'm happy with that. Yea I wanted to get back to 100-110 lbs, but i'll have to be happy at my 118.

I think in your case perhaps it was a increase in some major muscle to weight that much at that height and be able to fit in 12's not to mention 10 even tight. WOW!!!!!

I think INCHES are definetely better. :)

But remember muscle weighs more than fat so when you gain that exercising you have to remember that you may weigh a little more than you did in past at that size because now you are active. :)

I would much rather lose inches than pounds. It's inches that determine your size and that is my concern :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter