Would you leave your 12 year old in the gift shop...

This thread now has a Pee Wee Herman "I know you are, but what am I?" feel to it. I'm out before someone says the "secret word of the day" :happytv:.

I could see some of this paranoia about little boys looking into cracks in the stalls at some malls or places...but most of the bathrooms I used at WDW were huge. Standing in the entrance way you would practically have to be superman to see into those stalls!

So, to the pp who lets her 5 year old son use the mens room - are you saying that you are comfortable leaving your 5 year old child standing out in the crowds of WDW all alone? This thread is a little disturbing. The average 5, 6, 7, 8, and even 9 year old boy is not really interested in sex and is not trying to get a look at teenager girls through the crack of a stall door.

This thread is pretty funny, all in all. We have the people who won't leave a teenager alone in a public gift shop and the people leaving kindergardeners alone in the park. The huge differences are astounding.

It's a do what's right for your family type of thing. I won't judge what other families allow because I don't know the correct thing for anyone else.

just for everyones info
I emailed Disney World & asked about bringing my boys with me into the bathroom - my boys are non-verbal austic
Disney replied that boys age 10 & over are not allowed in the women's restrooms - please use the companion bathrooms if your child is of the other sex & over 9

a 10 year should be able to go into a bathroom my themself - if not please bring someone with you to deal with it or use the companion

I think it's fine.. But you have to judge if you/her are ok with that..

As for the bathrooms.. I have no problems with boys in women's bathrooms. For the most park they go the bathroom, wash and then go wait upfront for mom..
I get more privacy at a disney bathroom then I do at home..
My DD is having BAD separation issues and freaks out every time I walk out of her line of view..

heehee, That's not because they don't care, that's because for some reason we women take godawful long in there and the line is always out the door. You'd miss half the event waiting in line.

I've also seen them post a lookout at the door to make sure no men enter while they are there.

a number of years ago, I was on line to use the women's room at a broadway show. The line was soooo long and the show was going to start soon.

The ppl from the theatre moved half of the women over to the mens room, so we could share. Women used the stalls, while the men were peeing the urinals! Didn't bother me one bit...I had to go!

So, to the pp who lets her 5 year old son use the mens room - are you saying that you are comfortable leaving your 5 year old child standing out in the crowds of WDW all alone? This thread is a little disturbing. The average 5, 6, 7, 8, and even 9 year old boy is not really interested in sex and is not trying to get a look at teenager girls through the crack of a stall door.

This thread is pretty funny, all in all. We have the people who won't leave a teenager alone in a public gift shop and the people leaving kindergardeners alone in the park. The huge differences are astounding.

Absolutely :thumbsup2

ETA As you can see DS is 9 now and alive and well! I've let him go many places on his own, he is incredibly independent. He's been riding his bike all over the neighborhood by himself since he was 5 also. I let him go out and play and have fun and he always seem to make it back for dinner!

Let me just say that my mom got upset with me for going to Epcot alone at night and I am over 25!

I don't have any kids myself yet, but I wouldn't leave a 12 year old alone just because I know I'd never forgive myself if something happened to him/her. With daughters, I'd probably worry about them forever (like my mom worries about me), but I could probably leave my sons alone around age 15-16, but I still wouldn't leave them for long.

This is the most disturbing thing I have read in the entire thread! :scared1:

Let me just say that my mom got upset with me for going to Epcot alone at night and I am over 25!

I don't have any kids myself yet, but I wouldn't leave a 12 year old alone just because I know I'd never forgive myself if something happened to him/her. With daughters, I'd probably worry about them forever (like my mom worries about me), but I could probably leave my sons alone around age 15-16, but I still wouldn't leave them for long.

Someone seems to have severe separation/trusting/anxiety issues, and is already passing them down to their daughter :sad2: :scared1:

Sure hope someone helps you with these feelings before you do have children of your own.

Do what you think is best. There are great que's to go through then chicken exits. I say do that. But only if the child is ok with going into the gift shop alone. I know my kids would be ok with that. But some kids aren't. So if you and your child are on the same page, do it.

MinnieGirl33 said:
Yes, I would.

Another idea is to have them wait in line together & have your DD use the chicken exit. She could then simply wait at the off-load point. It would, at least, minimize time she spends alone.

I think this is the best option unless you have FP. The waits can be very long otherwise to roam around alone for anyone let alone a 12 yr old.

Who knows maybe she will gains some courage and jump on the ride at the last minute?

So, to the pp who lets her 5 year old son use the mens room - are you saying that you are comfortable leaving your 5 year old child standing out in the crowds of WDW all alone? This thread is a little disturbing. The average 5, 6, 7, 8, and even 9 year old boy is not really interested in sex and is not trying to get a look at teenager girls through the crack of a stall door..

I would feel comfortable having a 5 year old wait outside the restroom - at that age, I was walking to school alone (15 minute walk). I'm more overprotective, though - my kids didn't walk to school without an adult until 2nd grade. :goodvibes

I'm very familiar with boys ages 5 - 9, and also girls 5 - 9. None of my boys were really interested in sex at that age (of course). However, one of my boys might try to mess with one of his sisters, and get the wrong stall by mistake (if I brought him into the ladies room which I would not have). However, if I told him to stay put outside, he'd stay put outside. And I think the chances of him being the first every child abducted from WDW in it's history would be slim to none. If someone wants him that badly, they can snatch him on his walk home from school (which is also slim to none).

I would say 7 is too old. JMHO.

I allow my 5 year old to use the restroom alone though... so there you have it.

Totally agree.

My 5.5 year old FREAKS on me if I tell him to come into the women's room. He is NOT having it. He hates it - "I am a boy mom, I go in the boy's room". So I let him 99% of the time. My older son - he has been using the men's room alone for a good few years, too. He is also mature and, as I said upthread, I would be ok with leaving him in a gift shop now. My 5 year old....he is pretty ditzy and I know would wander. He gets lost in our small little house, so I do think it will be a while longer before I let him do too much alone (outside of using the men's room...)

That's irrelevant. It's not up to you or me to judge others on what makes them uncomfortable. Women's restrooms were built for WOMEN. Society allows for young boys simply because they shouldn't be left alone but beyond that it gets ridiculous.

In the UK it is common to have male toilet attendants/cleaners working in the ladies' restrooms and in a lot of places in Europe, males and females use the same restrooms. I prefer separate ladies' restrooms as they are usually cleaner!

mom2rtk said:
:thumbsup2 Thank you!

I do find it comical that a stranger on an internet forum thinks they know more about this than I do. I also find it odd that another poster says the young girl should get over it, yet will not tell the insecure mom dragging her 9/10 yo boy into the women's room to get over it.

Peter Fan, are you at least female?

I'm saying she will naturally get over it because the fact that a 9-10 year old boy is in the same restroom as they are (not peering in on them) should not be enough to scar a teen girl for life. If it does, I would worry about the teen.

I'm saying she will naturally get over it because the fact that a 9-10 year old boy is in the same restroom as they are (not peering in on them) should not be enough to scar a teen girl for life. If it does, I would worry about the teen.

It's that poor boy who is going to be scarred for life! If he's being raised in such a paranoid environment that his mommy makes him come with her to the ladies room he will grow up scarred (and scared)!

mom2rtk said:
So you're telling the teen girl dealing with personal hygeine issues in the women's restroom...... complete with gaps in the door frame...... to get OVER havng an older boy right outside the door?

Maybe the insecure mother of the 9/10 year old boy is the one who needs to "get over it"!

Wouldn't she be almost as mortified by a 9-10 year old little girl standing outside her stall door while she was attending to her feminine needs? Anyone standing within "peeking distance" would probably make a teen girl a little uncomfortable. Should we create a special restroom just for teen girls? Again, in my perfect world everyone would be comfortable. I want my DD to be comfy but I also want to raise her to be an understanding and reasonable adult.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter