1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Would you leave the park for dinner and miss out on valuable park time?

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by Cando86, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Cando86

Cando86 DIS Veteran

We'll be down in January of 2015. We've never tried Ohana and are looking forward to this reservation. However, the day our ADR is for is on our MK day. The park is open 9-11. Our ADR is at 5. Taking into account travel and eating time, we're going to be missing out on a few hours of park time. Our other option would be to make an ADR in the park, perhaps at Crystal Palace or Tony's to gain back a little bit of that lost time. What would you do?
    TIA:thumbsup2!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. figment_jii

figment_jii DIS Veteran

It's going to vary a lot from family-to-family. For my family, we have several resort based meals throughout our vacation. So, for me, I wouldn't feel like I'm missing out on anything by going to 'Ohana (in fact, I've done that a couple of times on my MK day).

That being said, I would ask, is this your only MK day? Have you ever been to MK before? How long is your trip? If you have only a very limited amount of time (like it's your only MK day), then I would probably forgo a TS meal entirely and just get a quick QS meal.

4. wdwrich

wdwrich DIS Veteran

You're going to lose a bit of park time to dine anyway even if it's at CP or Tony's. The travel time to/from the Poly to dine at 'Ohana isn't exceptionally long. You have a choice of boat or monorail (or bus if the monorail isn't running). If you really are looking forward to 'Ohana, then I would say to go for it.

5. ArmyWife3-4

ArmyWife3-4 DIS Veteran

I would say head to 'Ohana. With an earlier ADR, you'll still be able to get back to the park before it closes. We like a break from the parks, and the resorts are so lovely to explore. I'd say totally worth it!

6. Altoqueenkelly

Altoqueenkelly You gotta be original because if you're like someo

We have the same plan for our September trip. Our ohana ADR is at 5pm, we plan to ride the monorail over have a nice dinner and hop the monorail back at 6 or 7 in time to catch wishes :) oh, and it's our arrival day so I think it will be the perfect start to a great trip!!!

7. supersnoop

supersnoop DIS Veteran

Based on your signature, it doesn't look like this is your first trip to the Magic Kingdom, and I'm guessing it won't be your last. Depending on the day in January, you may be able to ride everything you want to before 5:00 p.m. that day. If you're looking forward to 'Ohana, I wouldn't think twice about what I'd "miss" by leaving the park.

8. Julylady

Julylady DIS Veteran

My family views the monorail as a "must do" ride. If we were to leave the park, monorail over to the Poly, have dinner, and then monorail back over to MK, they wouldn't even consider this an interruption to their day!

9. Cando86

Cando86 DIS Veteran

Thank you ALL so much! I feel much better about leaving the park for dinner now :)

10. RealBlast3

RealBlast3 Mouseketeer

To answer the op's question, yes of course - why not? One of the major purposes of my vacations in Disney is to eat at the restaurants - and I know I'm not the only one. I get the deluxe dining plan exclusively for this purpose. I eat at TS 3 times a day 'cause why not - it's what I love to do and I usually stay for around 2 weeks and I have plenty of time to see everything and the 3 breaks in the day to eat help sustain me from park opening to park closing.

11. joannamet

joannamet Mouseketeer

By dinner time you'll be ready for a break. We never do parks from open to close. Its just too exhausting and makes getting up and out the next day much harder.

12. FMAfan

FMAfan Mouseketeer

I also agree that you should go for it. It really isn't that long to get to the Polynesian, and the monorail really is an attraction in and of itself, so you won't really be missing anything more than you would if you ate in the park.

13. mare1203

mare1203 Mouseketeer

For me this would be a resounding "yes!". I can't handle being in the parks all day long, and I know I'll be back, so hitting everything every single time isn't an issue. I'd much rather explore all that WDW has to offer, and that very much includes resorts and resort dining.

14. Kristina4109

Kristina4109 Rocking my Disney side since 1976

We are "front loaders" - in other words, we always hit the parks at rope drop. So by dinner time, we are all ready to take a break. Sometimes we will take a break at a TS restaurant in a park, but we'll often go to a nearby resort for dinner. Our last trip, we headed from AK to Boma and were very happy for the break. We did the same thing for the Luau. I think you'll find it doesn't take a large chunk out of your day to have dinner at 'Ohana, especially if your day is being spent in the MK.

15. Meriweather

Meriweather Aria's Nana

Every one is different.
    We leave all the time.....to eat, to go back to the resort for a rest.
    But then our trips are usually 14 days and we don't have to tire ourselves out seeing everything in one day.

16. Frozen2014

Frozen2014 DIS Veteran

Sounds good to me. Are you planning on going at 9am? If so, that would be a fully day if staying late. This will give you a 'break' and a chance to put your feet up. And Ohana is supposed to be great. And as others have said, the monorail in itself will be like a ride. Plus a 5pm ADR will get you back in time for the Electrical Parade and fireworks. For us too, the TS is part of the vacation and if Ohana is on your wish list, then go for it.

17. MSSANDRA

MSSANDRA DIS Veteran

No way could our family do park from 9-11 without some sort of break. Ohana is a perfect break. Easy to get to and gives everyone a chance to relax a bit.5:00 is a great time too.

18. tcherjen

tcherjen DIS Veteran

Do you have an off day? We usually have ADR's on our off day. This year we do have on scheduled on the same day as MNSSHP, but it is for lunch at Le Cellier

19. cluvsdisney

cluvsdisney DIS Veteran

We consider all time on vacation valuable so it doesn't matter to us if it's at the resort, having a meal or at the parks. So we would def. leave the park for a meal esp on a day when the park is open for 14 hours.

20. AceDodger

AceDodger Earning My Ears

We have done this before. 'Ohana is awesome and worth the trip. And since you are going early, that will give you a nice break. Make sure the BRING your appetite as the food is so good. Once you are done with dinner, you can take the quick Monorail ride back to MK and burn off all (or some) of the calories. Make sure to arrive on time for your reservations. And remember, 'Ohana means family... and call all the servers "cousin". Ha! Enjoy!

21. Jadyreen1282

Jadyreen1282 Mouseketeer

Do you have park hopper and are you there multiple days? Just go back to MK another day to hit what you miss. AK and HS both close early. Plan on the magic hours for MK to hit on your AK day then you can rock over to MK and finish up between 7 and 2 AM? Heck reserve Dessert Party at 9:00 and enjoy the fireworks in style too!