Would you/have you asked your neighbor to clean up yard?

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by goofinoff, Dec 3, 2012.

1. furb & dez

furb & dez City Bear Jamboreers

This is a fire risk. Personally I would go to the city if my neighbors had combustibles all over their property.

That fire is not going to magically stop at your property line.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. gator75

gator75 DIS Veteran

The city has no say as we live in the countryso there is no so called big brother watching over anything.

4. I loveStitchnippyjon

I loveStitchnippyjon DIS Veteran

even out in the country, either the Town or County should have zoning laws and zoning enforcement officer.

5. arthuruscg

arthuruscg DIS Veteran

I bet your county does have "big brother" to call. You can start with Zoning and Ordinance. They should direct you to the appropriate department.

6. burnurcomputer

burnurcomputer DIS Veteran

If the home is being rented, contact the owner if it bothers you that much. It may be in their lease that the owner cares for the lawn and the outdoors. I had one like that :) You can address it in nice terms such as the black pumkins can draw bugs and varmits as well as seeding the lawn for future pumkin growth. It might be the blight of the neighborhood, but the real concern needs to be addressed to the owner, not the occupant.

7. Pigeon

Pigeon DIS Veteran

OMG. Pumpkin seeds in the yard. The horror.

8. JessicaR

JessicaR <font color=blue>DIS Veteran<br><font color=green>

We have a neighbor that concerns themself with their neighbors lawns, yards, cars and anything else they can think of. We had a boat that we took out of the water a few years back and it stayed on the side of our house for a season. They didn't like the view from their bedroom window. A boat bothered them, not a thing wrong with the boat either, properly stored and all.

I wondered if they would rather look at this? :rotfl:

[​IMG]

9. goofinoff

goofinoff These pretzels are making me thirsty!<br><font col

o......m.......g!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. HelenePA

HelenePA <font color=red>I could use a cupcake now<br><font

The dis makes me love my neighbors more and more...

11. kaligal

kaligal DIS Veteran

That wouldn't bother me. Not one bit.

12. nephthys43

nephthys43 DIS Veteran

If would love to do that. My bf won't let me though. :(

13. JessicaR

JessicaR <font color=blue>DIS Veteran<br><font color=green>

Wouldn't bother me either. I like it it's whimsical. It would make my neighbors nuts though.

14. furb & dez

furb & dez City Bear Jamboreers

You realize that pumpkin vines are pretty darn ugly, right?

15. Pigeon

Pigeon DIS Veteran

I've got a farm field right behind my house that many years is planted in pumpkins, so yes, I know quite well what pumpkins look like.

I also know that despite the fact that the farmers leave approximately 20% of the harvest to rot in the field for some reason or another, my lawn has not been overrun with pumpkin vines. Nor have I noticed any more rodents than usual. In any given year, there are probably well over a thousand pumpkins left in the field.

I have also planted pumpkins in my own garden from time to time. They are no more difficult to rip out, nor are they any uglier than any other weed which may find its way into a lawn, although I've never had a single instance of pumpkins self-seeding and appearing in my lawn.

I most assuredly would hope that law enforcement officials weren't wasting time on worrying about errant pumpkin vines taking over my neighborhood.

16. disneylovero

disneylovero Earning My Ears

Your neighbor's yard is none of your business.

17. clarkshel

clarkshel DIS Veteran

If it effects my property, then yes it is. It can effect my property by lowering property values, having to look at their ugly mess daily, possible rodents from excessive junk.

18. mfd25wife

mfd25wife DIS Veteran

I need to bake cookies for my neighbors :goodvibes

I'd rather have a neighbor with two rotting pumpkins than a neighbor who feels like it is his or her duty to report every "infraction" they perceive. There are health hazards and there are preferences. They aren't the same. Maybe, I'm wrong but I don't examine everyone's yard and property. What some consider trashy or unkempt may not be the same for everyone.

OP, just be careful. I know a person I'm another city who mowed hs neighbor's yard when he mowed hs own. He really thought he was helping out and doing a neighborly thing. He was arrested later for trespassing. The prosecutor threw it out, but technically he was trespassing. Because of his job, he received some punishment in his personnel file since he was arrested and admitted he dd in fact trespass.

19. mfd25wife

mfd25wife DIS Veteran

That would aggravate me, also. Knowing me, I probably would have smiled and said, "we were going to mow today, but now that we spent time chit chatting, we just don't have time". I know you said you didn't know he was planning it, but I would have said it anyway. I hate it when someone oversteps their bounds.

20. mfd25wife

mfd25wife DIS Veteran

Nice post. we don't know what people are experiencing, do we?

I can't imagine going through life so critical and judgmental of everyone. I don't know the people, but I don't automatically think they are lazy. It could be they have illnesses, family requiring assistance, Etc. As for yards and houses, your perception of acceptable is not necessarily the same as others.

PS, i think a person could post he or she was run over by a bus, and someone would post, "well, I was run over by a bus AND a car".

21. burnurcomputer

burnurcomputer DIS Veteran

Well, I assume that since there is no mention of a garden that this pumpkin is rotting in, it would be considered unusual for a pumpkin to take seed in grass or a landscape. I would not like to have pumpkins sprouting in *my* grass. I have had gourds take to seed in my landscape, and its a pain to get to the area they were at. A gourd rolled off my pourch and rolled under a bush. The next late summer/early fall I had vines growing out from under my bush. It was not part of the landscape plan, let me tell you:lmao:!!! I do and will continue to think that seeding in those part are undesireable.

The point is that these people are renting a property. They obviously do not feel that they should respect the owner, neighbors or the land that they are renting. If someone chooses to plant gourds and pumpkins as part of their landscape plan, rock on with their bad selves. But, the homeowner, should be made aware of it as it can affect the curb appeal of the home or invite bugs, animals or some other kind of uninvited things into a neighborhood. That is just not smart in a neighboor hood as far as bad feelings, impact on home worth, or invasion of the property by varments.