1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Would You Have Tipped In This Situation?

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by BeachGirlFLA, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Hrhpd

Hrhpd DIS Veteran

I agree. If my steak came out grey rather than my preferred dripping pink, that is obviously the kitchen's mistake and the server should not be held accountable (unless he/she refuses to return the item).

However, not noticing that your customer is sitting at their table without food is the server's job and it is the server's responsibility to figure out why there is no food.

Problem solving and then telling the customer what happened would earn the tip. Ignoring it till the customer brings it up and then blaming somebody else; sorry, no tip.

I have worked corporate, commissioned sales. It was my job to stay on top of all aspects of the sale to make sure the sale went through. As the link to all the departments involved, it was my job to follow up continuously to make sure all the pieces fell in place for the customer. If the sale did not happen, no commission. My boss would not come to me and say "Oh sorry, you were too busy to follow up on that sale, but we will give you the commission anyway."

Mistakes in life can sometimes cost you. One thing, you rarely make that mistake again.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. happygirl

happygirl DIS Veteran

I agree, people can justify anything. There is no excuse for dine and dash

4. disney1990

disney1990 <font color=royalblue>Wow, it make my heart skip a

Like I said, this is what I would have done. Apparently, the OP questioned what she did and is looking for approval. I, for one, do not think that she did everything she should have done in the situation. Both parties are partially responsible.

5. stargazer2892

stargazer2892 Mouseketeer

I would have tipped. servers don't make alcoholic drinks, the bar does. He may not have known it was wrong and since you didn't say anything how was he supposed to know. And in the hustle and bustle of a kitchen tickets DO get lost, it happens quite often, weather it affects the customer or not is up how quickly they catch it and how the staff reacts. However knowing that when it is slammed and you have 6 tables to deal with occasionally a ticket DOES get forgotten about and again that is up to how the staff to remedy without letting the customer know. Personally the only time I don't tip well is if it is blanetly the server. For example putting a plate that they need a rag to carry because it's to hot to hold directly in front of my 10 month old, or putting a drink directly in front of him and getting upset that he grabs it before I can and theres beer everywhere and expects me to still pay for my drink that I never got a chance to drink because of him/her. Getting upset because DH and I ask for fresh coffee because ours is cold and at least 5 hours old.

6. mickeysgal

mickeysgal <font color=blue>Orange you glad I like Knock Knoc

I certainly wouldn't have waited for an hour for a check either. However, when and if I didn't get a response from multiple requests from the server, I would have gotten up to find a manager.

7. ronandannette

ronandannette I gave myself this tag and I "Like" myself too!

Question for you: Do you, as a server that fully acknowledges having provided a sub-par level of service (unintentionally or not), still expect a tip from that table? Do you consider those customers "cheap" or "jerks" if they don't leave a tip? This is not sarcastic or rhetorical; I've never worked in your industry and am genuinely interested in your perspective.

8. FlightlessDuck

FlightlessDuck Pluto's personal nose scratcher

9. sookie

sookie DIS Veteran

Pity tip - 1-2 bucks like you did, OP. I usually tip on the pre-discounted amount, so I think what you did was fine.
    But I would have been tempted to not tip. I usually tip generously because I remember my days from waitressing. They do not make a minimum $$$ but instead make only 1-2 bucks an hour. So I usually do pity tip unless something atrocious / absolutely awful happens. It would have depended on the attitude on the server - was he or she genuinely sorry? If so, yes, I would have pity tipped. If not, forget it.

10. The Mystery Machine

The Mystery Machine Sunrise at my house. :+)

We did look for one, even asked the bartender for help.

I would NEVER do a dine and dash but literally they refused to get us the bill.:confused3

And it was just for an appetizer, I think, nothing big because we got our drinks at the bar.

We waited for an hour, no joke.

11. BeachGirlFLA

BeachGirlFLA DIS Veteran

He did seem genuinely sorry...just didn't seem to be the greatest waiter in the world (and we've had great service at the same restaurant before.)

12. kaytieeldr

kaytieeldr Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - b

I would have tipped my typical percentage on the $33.

You received and drank the drinks, even if one of them wasn't the exact version you ordered. You ate the appetizers. It really stinks that your order got lost. It doesn't matter who lost it, or who was responsible for the wrong drink.

Common misconception. Were it true, the tip would have to be given before any service.

If the word 'afternym' existed, the TIPS legend would be a perfect example of it.

13. ronandannette

I'm with Goofy, but then again in Canada servers are paid at least minimum wage plus their tips (lowest in the country, for jobs that receive tips is $8.80), or even more in areas of the country with boom-time economies and labour shortages (my 16 y.o. DS makes $10.00/hr at McDonalds).

At the point where a server (or anybody in any profession for that matter) fails to do their job properly they are not even "earning" their wages, let alone deserving of a tip. How about some "pity" once in a while for the customer that comes in to spend their (likely limited) discretionary income that THEY EARNED doing something perhaps equally under-appreciated and under-compensated? (I realize there is a bit of a cultural divide here.)

14. sookie

sookie DIS Veteran

I would not have expected a tip in that situation as a server.
    OMG McD's pays 10 bucks an HOUR?!

15. disneydee6

disneydee6 DIS Veteran

In retrospect, it makes more sense to not leave a tip, but OP, I probably would've done the same thing you did!

16. DisneyFan32WI

DisneyFan32WI <font color=blue>Sometimes I just like to be plain

Here where I live, On the Border is a strip club. It would be obvious to bring lots of singles.... ;)

17. BeachGirlFLA

BeachGirlFLA DIS Veteran

LOL...here, it's a Mexican restaurant.

18. ronandannette

Yep, so do all the other fast-food outlets and retail stores. Mostly staffed by students during after-school hours and retirees and very newly arrived immigrants during the day. This wouldn't be exactly the same in every far-flung corner of Canada, but labour-shortage is a very real deal in many cities and the lowest minimum wage in the country (for jobs that do NOT include tips) is $9.75 - even things like paper routes.

A little OT (sorry, I'm curious) - how much does this type of job pay where you live? When I visit the States I am startled at how many adults work in fast-food stores.

19. BeachGirlFLA

BeachGirlFLA DIS Veteran

They're minimum wage jobs - 7-8 dollars an hour - here.

20. declansdad

declansdad DIS Dad #639 New Brunswick, Canada

The meaning may be wrong but you still tip for good service. In this case, it wasn't good service.

OP, I would have left no tip.

21. ronandannette

OK, why then are restaurant servers not paid at least that much? I've read several times in different threads that they're only paid a couple of bucks an hour as wages, and that's why tipping takes on a whole other dimension.
    (Heck, here even salespeople on straight commission need to be guaranteed a draw against their sales that equals at least as much as minimum wage for whatever hours they put in).