Would you go to the hospital?

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by tchrrx, Jan 6, 2013.

1. dbarker

dbarker DIS Veteran

Definitely go.

In our family, having a baby is a family affair. Even for the ones waiting hours on end in the waiting room. Everyone is there for the big arrival. Babies are such a miracle, no one wants to miss out.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. smitch425

smitch425 DIS Veteran

Some other things to consider are the timing and what arrangements you have for your own child. I went into labor at 2:45am and called everyone who wanted to be at the hospital around 3:30am (we were on our way to the hospital then). All of our family lives 2 1/2 hours away. My mom let my younger sister miss school and she came along, but she was old enough to take care of herself while my mom was with me and DH during delivery. I don't know how old your child is, but before you 100% commit to being there, you need to run through all of the possible scenarios and have the appropriate plans in place. Best of luck!

4. chloelovesdisney

chloelovesdisney DIS Veteran

Or in some cases, 29 hours of waiting. :rolleyes1

If your sister wants you there, and you want to be there, then go of course. :)

5. disykat

disykat DIS Veteran

No way would I have wanted my family in a waiting room for 24 hours (and that was after 12 hours of labor at home) followed by me out cold for 8 hours while everyone else saw the baby before me. Yikes.

6. Robbi

Robbi DIS Veteran

I went to the hospital for a woman in labor twice. The first was for my now ex SIL was in labor. The other time was when my daughter's nanny was in labor for her son.
    In neither my nor my husband's family do we usually go to the hospital for a laboring woman.
    If I had a sister though and she wanted me there, I'd definitely go for her.

7. The Mystery Machine

The Mystery Machine Sunrise at my house. :+)

If my sister was having a baby I would BE THERE!:hyper: My sister videotaped my youngest being born.

8. tchrrx

tchrrx <font color=red>Blame it on the plastic cow I ment

My DD is 12. If the phone call comes in the middle of the night, I am not leaving until morning. And, if it comes during the day when I know DD is in the middle of a test or quiz at school, then I'll wait it out a little. I don't have to be there the exact second that she calls, but I don't see the point in waiting for days either since she's asked me to come. DD and I have our electronics charged and ready, so we can wait it out at the hospital or we can hang out at my parent's house. For all the times that we've hung out in hospitals waiting on DH's family to go through surgeries or watch them dying, I don't get why he thinks waiting at the hospital for this is a big deal.

9. shortbun

shortbun <font color=green>Peacenik<br><font color=purple><

See, that's what I'm wondering? Is this going to put him out in some way? For goodness sake, go be with your sister!!! Your husband is just wrong. Don't be mad at him, just ignore him, lol!

10. The Mystery Machine

The Mystery Machine Sunrise at my house. :+)

Who knows why he thinks waiting at the hospital is a PITA. Frankly it is odd that he does not even want you to GO to the hospital. That part is weird. I mean, of course you are going to the hospital! DUH.

How exciting for you guys!!!:yay:

11. Pooh67_68

Pooh67_68 <font color=teal>My head looked like a brillo pad<

My sister called after her water broke to say they were headed to the hospital, if i had said i wasn't going she would have walked across the road and drug me to the car. Not once did my husband say i shouldn't go.

Your sister asked you to be there, be there!

12. NHdisneylover

NHdisneylover DIS Veteran

Your sister wants you there. You live close enough to get there relatively easily and you have plans for your daughter (who is plenty old enough to hang out in the hospital without gong nutty).

I am at a loss as to why your husband could possibly care or want to try to stop you? Do you only have one car and he will be without transportation while you are gone or something? That is about the only thing I can imagine being a semi legitimate reason for him to have ANY opposition to you being there.

13. Disney  Doll

Disney Doll DIS Security Matron

If your sister requested that you be there, then yes, of course I would go to the hospital.

As a general rule, whether or not I would visit someone in the hospital would depend upon my relationship with them, what they were hospitalized for & how happy I think they'd be to have a visitor. Close family member I'd obviously be there as much as possible. Friend...quick visit less than 30 minutes (unless friend requests otherwise for some reason)...enough so that they know I care and am thinking of them, breaks up their day a bit with someone to talk to but doesn't wear them out in terms of feeling the need to "entertain".

14. Becky2005

Becky2005 <font color=darkorchid>I actually thought they mad

That's my thinking. I could see my DH thinking it would be pain for HIM to sit at the hospital or whatever -- so I'm wondering if he is saying it as in HE doesn't want to go do it but as far as I can tell it is of no concern for him anyway. Unless he's the type that decides to get weirded out because you are driving 2 hours by yourself with your DD (is he concerned since you may be gone overnight?). Mine gets wonky like that. 2 hour drive, wouldn't think twice...me staying overnight somewhere after the 2 hour drive and it is a let me make sure everything is in working order. Hard to explain but that is the only thing I can think of that would even make this a blip on DH's radar.

I just attribute it to one of those things where men think -- no big deal and can't fathom why women would even consider it one.

15. FlightlessDuck

FlightlessDuck Pluto's personal nose scratcher

If your sister asked you, then yes, of course.

If she didn't, then I don't think I'd bother.

16. smkohn

smkohn Mouseketeer

Agree with pretty much everybody. She wants you there, go be there. My very best friend, who is pretty much my sister, is pregnant with her first. Her husband is going to be deploying soon and she mentioned wanting me to be in the delivery room with her. Only problem is I live in IL and she will be in Georgia where they're stationed. I don't know how I could feasibly make it work, but if she was closer and asked me to be there, dang right I would be.

17. TheSchragFamily

TheSchragFamily Mouseketeer

Why do you care what anyone else thinks? Your sister asked you to go, you want to go, your husband is being a jerk.