Would you give a homless person CPR, if dying

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me personally, I think I've seen enough lack of humanity in recent days/years to NOT do anything if I saw somebody in need of help - and if I wasn't sure if a person was in need, I'd not hesitate to call 911.

Debating and setting criteria for who is and isn't worthy of assistance and then cracking jokes about it is, in my opinion, sad.

During my training we were told to attempt to resuscitate everyone unless they were eviscerated, incinerated or decapitated. No head - no problem.

I might pass on this guy:scared: Looks hazardous to my health
5_ugly_people.jpg

Well, sadly I've been in this situation. Was getting ready to go into a movie theater and a guy outside was leaning on the wall looking pale and weak. I asked him if he needed help and he wanted to go inside to sit down. I got my sister to come over and help me get him inside. I asked him if I should call for help, but he insisted that he was okay and just needed to rest. When I looked over a minute or so later he was slumped on the seat and gasping. I didn't know CPR... I alerted the theater manager and he called 911. They arrived quickly. I don't know if the guy survived or not. It was disturbing to me the way the theater manager and workers were laughing about it afterward. I don't really think that would have been their reaction if it wasn't a homeless person... but who knows.

Pretty sure I wouldn't stay calm enough to give anyone CPR.

I'm the last person you want next to you if you're having a medical emergency.

For me personally, I think I've seen enough lack of humanity in recent days/years to NOT do anything if I saw somebody in need of help - and if I wasn't sure if a person was in need, I'd not hesitate to call 911.

Debating and setting criteria for who is and isn't worthy of assistance and then cracking jokes about it is, in my opinion, sad.

Beyond sad. What is wrong with people?

Well, I haven't been certified since high school and, being a lawyer, I know the complications of helping someone in an emergency when you're not competently trained.

The person being homeless has nothing to do with it, my incompetence at the act is the only concern.

That's why they have compression-only CPR.

All joking replies aside, yes, apparently compression only CPR is almost .....if not just as........ effective. While my CPR certification expired 25 years ago, I would have no issue with chest only compression on a homeless person..

Low-key, do you stay up late at night, thinking about the topics to pose on the DIS the next day? :surfweb: Some of your questions boggle my mind... in a good way, of course! :crazy:

I'm not certified in CPR, but if I was the only one available, and the person was going to die without it, I'd probably try to remember the chest compression instructions from when my Cub Scouts did their first aid training. It would be better than nothing. But I admit I would be afraid to use mouth-to-mouth.

I would do all that I could do. Twice in my life I have rescued people. Once an old man who drove into a lake in Orlando, another a mother and her toddler who were in a building that fell on them, its something you don't think about. You just do.

I'd take his shoes, but only if they're better than mine. And then I'd feel like crap for the rest of the day. Not because I didn't help, or took his shoes - but because a homeless dude had better shoes. That would sting.

I question the motives for posting this. However, I've heard that quite a few medical professional would prefer that CPR not be performed on them, because outcomes are typically poor for those revived by extraordinary means.

I question the motives for posting this. However, I've heard that quite a few medical professional would prefer that CPR not be performed on them, because outcomes are typically poor for those revived by extraordinary means.

By anybody, or by the typical passerby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter