Would we be disappointed?

disneyvoice

DIS Veteran
We are planning a 10 day trip to DW for September 2003 and are considering staying at either a moderate or deluxe resort. However on our past visits we have always stayed at the ASMo and have absolutely loved it. You can't beat the price and it just feels so . . . Disney. Plus we have a young son and it just seems like such a fun resort for him with all of the larger than life statues, etc. We have both gotten some very nice raises at work over the past year and so we will not have to be on as much of budget as we have been on our past visits. So we are thinking that it might be nice to try out one of the nicer resorts since the only one we have experienced is ASMo. But at the same time we are concerned that we would be disappointed by having high expectations of the other resorts. In general we spend most of our time at the parks or the pool so we really only sleep, get dressed, and take naps in the room. Any suggestions or advice?

With the savings right now at mousesavers.com it seems you can overlook the money issue(if that is an issue). I do love the theming at the AS's but the room size is an issue for my family. We do spend time in the rooms(call me crazy but I will actually not go to a park just to relax on vacation :) ) so the room size and amenities are essential to our vacations. To me it doesn't hurt to try and if they do not like the pool, just pool hop to AS's if they need the themeing.

Why not try splitting your stay? Say 5 days at AS to get the "Disney" feeling then 5 days at a deluxe to get more of a "resort" feeling>

Since you seem so happy with ASMO, and since you stated that you only use the room for the necessaries, the deluxes may provide amenities that you won't need or appreciate for these trips ( maybe later as the kids grow or for trips without the kids). A moderate sounds reasonable to try. I think POFQ has a fun pool for kids. One of the PO pools has a serpent or something like that, and it seems to get some rave reviews from families with kids. It's also a lot smaller. You may find it to be more mature in theming, but parents may appreciate the quiet of it compared to ASMo.

If your into the pool thing, I think some of the deluxes and moderates offer some pretty neat pools. Okay, maybe you don't need the extra room or amenities, or maybe you'll find you like 'em just fine!
For 10 days, it might be really nice to split your stay and experience 2 resorts. That way you won't be missing anything!;)
Have fun planning!:D

Stay with AS! Once you start upgrading, you never want to go back!;) With each trip, we've increased from off-site to DxL to WL to Dolphin to GF to Polyneisan Conceirge this coming trip. We have loved them all, and with the exception of off-site, would do any of them again, but keep finding ourselves pushing that envelope for the most amazing stay possible.

We like to spend a lot of time around the resort and pools, so bigger rooms and cool pools are a priority. We found the most magic with the MK resorts. If we were the commando style, I would definitely stick with a value or moderate resort, but for us, we'd rather sacrifice character meals or other pricey things to stay deluxe.

I agree with Ityldu - once you upgrade, you'll never want to go back! If you go for a deluxe, I would go for BC. The pool is great, the Boardwalk is just around the lake and Epcot is just next door. Between Epcot and Boardwalk, you have tons of dining options. And the staff and service are what you would expect from a deluxe resort.

If you're in the parks most of the time anyway, I'd stick with the All Stars. :)

Well, here's a diffrerent opinion. Once you upgrade, you'll wonder what all the fuss is about! We usually stay at the All Stars. We have stayed at moderates (CSR, POR) and a deluxe (POLY), and we'll be staying at AKL for a couple of days during our upcoming vacation in July. I have to say that the difference in room size is NOT that amazing. I have stayed in very nice hotels in the outside world at HALF the price of WDW's deluxes that do have NOTICEABLY larger rooms, but the WDW deluxe rooms are about the size of a normal Marriott room. They are just simply not that large. I really don't know why people are always saying the All Star rooms are tiny and the deluxe rooms are huge -- they are not that different. I know people are constantly quoting square footage, but you have to remember that a good deal of the extra square footage in the deluxes is taken up by the hallway and closet area leading into the room (which I don't feel as "space" when I'm in the room proper) and by the patio or balcony area (ditto).

If you spend a lot of time hanging by the pool or participating in resort activities, I will give you that the deluxes offer more. And there are more varied eating options at a deluxe. The deluxes definitely have a more "adult" atmosphere (although the Poly kind of reminds me of some sad, pseudo-adult jags at the bar at Trader Vics when I was just out of college!). But if you spend most of your time in the parks, and/or you don't mind travelling around to other resorts to eat, I feel you do get the most bang for your buck out of the All Stars.

I agree, musicfan - the rooms at a deluxe (well, at BC anyway) are not that much larger than the moderates. But I still would not go back to a moderate or value resort because of the proximity of better dining options and the amenities. If that is not important to you or you don't feel like you would take advantage of these options, then AS would be a better option.

I think I agree with musicfan. If you arent going to take advantage of the perks of a deluxe, I would just stick with allstars or maybe go for a moderate at the most. I like the perks that a deluxe has to offer such as restaurants, etc, but thats about it. I dont think the room sizes are very significant myself. The allstars rooms are smaller, but I just dont see a huge difference. at the same time there are alot of deals out right now and there will probably be some for the rest of the year. If your thinking about experimenting, this might be the best time to do it. I know the code rates for AKL and WL have been around $150/night for most of the year. Im not sure what your money considerations are.

I have to agree with Musicfan as well...We just stayed at the GF for a long weekend. We have previously stayed at the FW Cabins, but since we were only down for such a short time, I thought that we should stay closer. Frankly, we reaped very little benefit, as we had rented a car. The only true advantage was the choice of restaurants. I was disappointed, as I expected the room to be on par w/ a Ritz Carlton for the price. I agree that the deluxes are closer to a nice Marriott. We will absolutely return to the cabins next time!

I am another believer that the rooms really aren't that big a deal. They are all basically the same as far as room, but we still love the deluxes for the other amenities. The amazing lobbies and grounds. The cool pools, great restaurants and mainly - proximity to a major park. It's nice to have even one park that is just a quick monorail, boat or walk away.

That being said, if I wasn't going back to resort for LONG afternoon breaks, I'd stick with the value or moderate.

I've stayed at resorts from the All-Star Music to the Grand Floridian. I truly feel it doesn't matter where you stay, all of Disney resorts are good. The GF has much more luxury than the AS, but you also pay a lot more. I'd go with whatever you are comfortable spending.

:)

I think you should try a mod or deluxe just to experience more of Disney!
I would however stay at a deluxe over the mod, only because it will be that much more of a difference over the all stars. the mods still have all bus service, but if you stay at a deluxe you have so many more transportation options, much more convenience.
if you stay at an epcot resort, you can walk to epcot and mgm, or take a boat.
If you stay at a MK resort youhave ferries and the monorail.

I dont think you will be disappointed, being that you are skeptical about the other resorts anyway.
the room size is not the issue when comparing values to mods to deluxes, not at all, but what is an issue is the amenities, pool and recreation, theming, service, restaurants and location!!!

If you really like the AS's and want to stay there, then I suggest atleast splitting your stay. and, dont forget if you really dont like the resort you are at, you can always see if the AS's have availablility and switch back!

let us know what you decide, truth is as long as you are at WDW, you'll have a great time.

Laura :)

Another vote for a deluxe over a mod!

Flame me all you want, but I cannot justify the mods-essentially they feel like dressed-up, spread out value resorts. Mod bus service tends to be a bit less frequent than the AS resorts'. Mods tend to be MORE spread out(and thus less accessible) than the AS. And for more money, you still have to contend with exterior corridors.

But the Deluxes! Interior corridors/private balconies, easy accessibility to pools and other amenities, and generally better proximity to parks.

We picked WL for its small size, queen size bed and bunks for the kids. We did eat breakfast in our room and spend afternoon breaks there to rest up.

While it wasn't a particularly large room, it was pretty much on the money for a value season rate. We're headed back there in November.

--penny

Personally, I don't think we could stay at the ASRs. A double bed? OMG, I'd be hanging on the edge for dear life! That or falling out repeatedly! :eek: My DH is a "spread out" kind of sleeper. In our queen size at home, I barely get enough room to turn over. I would HATE a double! (probably wouldn't bother DH though!);)

If you don't mind the double beds, then AS is probably fine for you. I agree with the earlier posts, the moderates are pretty spread out. If you are going to enjoy/use all their amenities, you'll be doing some walking. That is a definite perk that the deluxe resorts have over moderates.

However, if your wallet says moderate and/or value, that's what you should go with. A deluxe would not be a pleasant, relaxing vacation if you are concerned that you've spent too much money. All of the resorts are beautiful. Pick your price range that you are comfortable with and then pick you resort. (I still think for 10 days splitting resorts is a great option!):smooth:

I have stayed at the All Star's, the Contemporary, and the Polynesian And I can say that there are elements of each that I like over the other.

First off I see a great advantage having monorail access at the Polynesian and Contemporary. And based on that when ever I can get a discount and can afford that discount (hehehehe) I will be staying at one of the 3 monorail hotels. But when I compare the counter service restaurant I like the All Star?s better. There is a much larger selection of food. As well as I find it set up much better to get your food and get out. I always seem to be running into someone at the counter service restaurant in the deluxe hotels. My son loves playing the video games and ticket games. The All Stars and the Contemporary have much better game rooms compared to the Polynesian. Then there is room size. While the All Star?s are fine for the 3 of us my son is 4 years old and very active. In the Polynesian he had lots of room to run around with out getting under out feet. The Contemporary he had a bit of room but with the set up of the room it didn?t seem like he had as much in the Polynesian.

I suggest you pick out a few resorts that interest you. Then look at the pictures. Check out what each resort has to offer as far as activities. If I?m remembering correctly the Polynesian had story telling every evening. Try to get an idea of what the park hours might be. Some of our trips the parks closed early so we were looking for a some things to keep my son busy once we got back to the hotel. (Sleep at Disney???? Not my son :):) ) What ever you decide I?m sure you will have a fantastic trip!!!

We've always stayed at PO-R(DxL) on our previous visits. And we really liked it there. That being said....our trip in Aug '03 will be different. There are just 3 of us, so room size isn't that big a deal. In fact, I've always shared a bed with my now 8 y/o dd. It looks like we'll be staying in an *** for 4 nights (or possibly CBR) and then 3 nights at the Poly. We really like the idea of taking the monorail or ferry to the MK. We just can't decide between the As and CBR!! I'ld say, if you liked the *** before then save that little extra money and stay with them for half your trip and finish up for the last half at a deluxe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter