Would the Dining Plan be use to solo travelers?

Karnak

DIS Veteran
What would be the advantages and disadvantages to paying for the Dining Plan for a solo traveler? (See travel dates below.)

Thanks.

It really depends on how you choose to eat. If you do a TS meal each day, the DDP will be a good use. We did it as 2 adults (even though one was 15 years old!!!). We had 3 dinner bills that were $110-115 for 2 people. That easily used up the value of the plan on those days. All of our TS meals were more than the cost of the plan.

That said, there's no way we would have ordered that much food without the plan....but $38 for all your food at WDW including taxes and tips is a great deal IF you eat what the plan supplies.

I have a sis who likes a character breakfast most days and a signature dining...so the plan doesn't work the way her family eats. If you will eat a CS and a TS each day, it can't be beat.

If there is any way for you to pay less than rack rate at POFQ, then it would probably be to your advantage to simply pay out of pocket for your meals. I can't see the DDP saving enough, with only one person using it, to make up for a great discount that MAY come your way. I believe that you can book the DDP up to 5 days before your check-in date. If you book room-only, that would leave you the flexibility of picking up a discount. If one doesn't materialize, then add dining to your rack-rate room, and have a blast!!!!

Karnak said:
What would be the advantages and disadvantages to paying for the Dining Plan for a solo traveler? (See travel dates below.)

Thanks.
I'll let you know after September 21! That's when I return from a solo trip where I booked the DDP. And since I'm a DVC member, it's not free for me. I decided to go with the DDP this trip as a way to try some new resturants that I've never eaten at. Usually at a new resturant, even if you don't like it, you still have to pay at the end of the meal. And even at a resturaunt I like, I'm one of those people who looks at the prices and orders one of the less expensive things on the menu. By prepaying, I figured it wouldn't be so bad-I can splurge. Also, I'm staying at BCV, eating most of my meals at Epcot or the Boardwalk, so if I have any leftovers (or dessert), I can run back to my room and pop it into the refrigerator. If you're at POFQ, it wouldn't be so convenient to do that.
So we'll see how it works out!

RIght about the added cost for the room. I'm DVC, so "pay" the same points for room whether I add DDP or not. Of course, my DDP is never "free." Paying rack rate on the room and paying for the DDP, you could probably do better getting a room discount. Do check AAA--on some of their plans you can get both a room discoun (small) and buy the DDP.

Happily going and staying for 21 nights 10/27 through 11/17 :cool1: so no tears for me....just really trying to decide whether I want to do DDP (at cost of about $799.) OR say the heck w/it & fly by the seat of my pants

I don't have AAA or anything other than AP, I know how it all works can't get AP discount (which MAY or MAY not happen) on room only AND get DDP..need to book as a pkg for that and buy a one day MYW ticket...but ..

:confused3 :confused3 decisions decisions, especially since I will be flying down and God knows probably won't be able to even carry on a Special-K snackbar onto the plane at that point, the DDP is starting to look better and better..

on the flip_side, will I really want to eat all that food???? (aka weight gain is my name :rotfl: ) oh well time is on my side, guess I better make ADRs from everything I'm hearing just in case (yes I will cancel and free them up asap if I decide against DDP) I have never felt so indecisive in my life

Thanks for the opportunity to remind myself of all the ADRs I have in 34 days!
I can't wait to find out how "worth it" it is, and to try out some great new resturaunts in the process.

I am going for a 15 day holiday solo with the dining plan. I looked at the resteraunts that I wanted to eat at and decided it was worth it for me. This time I want to eat at nice places with meals to remember rather than the cheap option, its what I have been doing all these hours overtime for.

I used it last year for almost a day by myself (all our TS meals were used but I still has CS and many snacks to use). It was great, and actually made my touring more efficient.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter