Would love to hear your opinions on these questions......

Mick

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone!
I have been reading on this site for about two years now and have many of my questions answered. I have been trying to decide between WDW and DL all this time. I THINK now we have decided for next winter at DL and DCA. Here are my questions, and I would love anyones input......

1. We want to go to LA for two weeks. We want to go to DL, DCA, Universal, San Diego Seaworld, San Diego Zoo for sure. How much time at each? Any other place not to miss for myself, DH, DS-6, DS-8?

2. When we go to San Diego should we stay a few days and where do you suggest?

3. Want to stay at the nicest, closest offsite hotel to DL. Suggestions? At first we wanted a suite but I would like to be in easy walking distance so I think that is out right?

4. How do you find out about AP/DC rates for DL hotels, as we might like to do a couple nights there if the price is right.

5.We can go in January, February, or March, when is the best weather but also still value/slower season?

6. Should we get a car at the airport or shuttle to hotel and then rent?

7.Where can I find out more info on the hotels close to DL and their prices? Same for San Diego?

I am sure I will come up with more later!! Thanks to everyone who takes the time to answer any of the questions.

Mic

Let's see what we can answer for you:

1: DL: 2-3 days
DCA: 1-2 days
Universal: 1-2 days (???)
Sea World: 1 day
San Diego Zoo: 1 day (could also do in less if you're not big zoo people)
Beyond that, with your age group, dunno really. Besides maybe the beach?

2: I would suggest staying in San Diego for when you go to Sea World and the Zoo. Not sure where, though.

3: For closest, nothing beats Best Western Park Place in. It's decent, but not super nice like you'd get onsite. However, whenever we go, we try to stay there. It is *LITERALLY* across the street from the walk-in entrance, and is I think the ONLY one to LITERALLY be across the street -- others are across the street and a building or two or ten down. This one, you walk out the driveway and you're at the crosswalk. For a little farther but still within good walking distance, Candy Cane Inn comes highly recommended.

4: I generally call or post on here to ask about discount rates.

5: For slower season, January and February would be better than March IMHO -- March you start running into the spring break crowds. However, for weather, March is probably the best. My preference is usually January, but that's partly because that's when my birthday is so we'll occasionally make a Disneyland trip a birthday present ;)

6: If you're going to get a car at all, I'd recommend going ahead and getting one at the airport. You'll still most likely be picked up by shuttle and taken to the lot that is a little ways (block or two or few) away, so you don't have to mess with the worst of the airport traffic until you return, but I'm not sure what the selection is for cars once you get away from the airport.

7: If you're a member of AAA, I'd talk to them. That's where we got our information. Asking on here is also a good one, and probably better for ratings.

Hope this helps :D

-Rajah
<table><tr><td width="50%">
2castles.jpg
</td><td valign="center">
mickeymoonsm.jpg

</td></tr></table>
cdrtrisal@aol.com

(Links will return when I find a new place to host the sites)

Thanks Rajah!
I have seen a lot of your posts, and as always this one is as informative!
Anyone else? I would love to hear from you!
Mick :D

When we go to San Diego, we always stay at the Paradise Point Resort. In fact, I'm pricing it now-found the best rate at cheaptickets.com. Not sure about CheapTickets though. Paradise Point is a beautiful resort which has just completed renovations. You could spend a day at the resort alone. When we have gone to San Diego, we have usually stayed 3 nights. This time we are staying 4 just because my 7 year old loves to swim. And yes, you can swim in Jan-March.

One other stop your boys might like if they are into LEGOS at all is Legoland. We were there in March and my 10 year son said he liked it better than Sea World or the zoo! It is a one day trip and pretty relaxing.

I think you covered the major places. I will also vote for Legoland for the boys, I've never been, but I teach first grade and hear how good it is for children.

Also, get a cheap airfare, most likely into LAX and then rent a car from there. You will need a car for wherever you decide to go since you are going to San Diego, etc.

Have fun!
Jenn

I would rent a car. Two weeks without a car would be awful. If you have the Disney club card that can save you 20% or so on Disney hotels-or if you do have a car the Embassy suite is really nice and you get breakfast and evening drinks! As far as San Diego, there are a lot of nice hotels. It depends on how much you want to pay! You can stay on the beach at the beach cottages or at crystal peir. There are also chain hotels- Paradise Resort is nice but really expensive. There is a lot to do in San Diego- Sea World. The Zoo, The Wild Animal Park, Legoland(Carlsbad), Seaport Village(shops and places to eat and of course the beach. Jan abd Feb will be cold for the beach though. I would pick the first week or two of March for Disney-during the week for most of it. (Less crowds) It is always busy on Friday and Saturday. I would say 2days at DL and 1 to 2 at DCA. All the San Diego places one day is enough! Do rent that car because you are going alot of places and the shuttles will cost you more than a car! Any other questions, just ask! I've been visiting Southern California for a long time!:)Going back this June!! Have a great trip!
Laura

I'll only comment on the questions I feel I can offer an informed opinion on.

1. Chances are your boys would love Magic Mountain in Valencia. Its a bit of a drive from Anaheim, so you may want to stay a night there. Lots of thrill rides and decent themeing.

Knott's Berry Farm is also worth some time. We found we could do it in less than a full day, like Noon to closing. Has some interesting rides, and good food, as I remember.

Medival Times is very close to Knott's and it is a great dinner show. The boys would love it.

As for time to spend at each:

Disneyland 2
DCA 1-2 (I haven't been, so only guessing)
Knott's .75
Magic Mountain 1-2
Universal 1-2
Sea World 1
SD Zoo 1

Medival Times could be done after a day at DL, DCA, or Knott's. (Make reservations of course).

5. The weather gets progressively better from January to March. But March starts the Spring Break Season. So to keep it as affordable as possible, you would want to go at the end of the "winter season", before Spring Break. The only problem is there is a good chance you would see some rain over the course of two weeks. And it won't be terribly warm. February would be 60's, maybe a few 70's. But being from Canada, maybe that wouldn't bother you. :)
;) ;) :)

Raidermatt

We always stay at the Desert Inn and Suites. The rooms are great and come with microwaves and refrigerators. We stay in the parlor suite, which has two queen beds and a seperate living room. It's also right across the street from DL. Have a great time!! :cool:

I know I will have more questions as it comes closer to the time but you all have help us tremendously. Thanks for taking the time to do it!
:D Mick

I got a couple of ones, kind of off the beaten path. For a look at old California, try Olvera Street in downtown Los Angeles. It was the very first street in Los Angeles. It also has a few original buildings from the 1800's including the first adobe house in L.A. Try the Taquitos's and the Churro's. Too Die For!! Also, you can hit Gromanns Chinese Theater and Little Tokyo while you're there. Makes for a fun, inexpensive day. About 30 minute drive from DL.

You could also check out Catalina Island. You can get there by boat, helicopter or plane. It's 26 miles off shore and it is beautiful. Randolph Hearst made it a Mecca for the wealthy back in the 20's and 30's and it still retains a lot of it's charm. You can rent golf carts for the day or Tandem bikes to get around.

I hope you can find time to try one of these. My family and I always try to do something a little "off the beaten path" when we travel. The theme parks are great, but it's neat to see your destination a little more up close and personal!

Take care and have a wonderful trip!

Roy

I got a couple of ones, kind of off the beaten path. For a look at old California, try Olvera Street in downtown Los Angeles. It was the very first street in Los Angeles. It also has a few original buildings from the 1800's including the first adobe house in L.A. Try the Taquitos's and the Churro's. Too Die For!! Also, you can hit Gromanns Chinese Theater and Little Tokyo while you're there. Makes for a fun, inexpensive day. About 30 minute drive from DL.

You could also check out Catalina Island. You can get there by boat, helicopter or plane. It's 26 miles off shore and it is beautiful. Randolph Hearst made it a Mecca for the wealthy back in the 20's and 30's and it still retains a lot of it's charm. You can rent golf carts for the day or Tandem bikes to get around.

I hope you can find time to try one of these. My family and I always try to do something a little "off the beaten path" when we travel. The theme parks are great, but it's neat to see your destination a little more up close and personal!

Ro

R

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter