Would hopping resorts be a pain!?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by gluvsmickey, Apr 29, 2011.

1. gluvsmickey

gluvsmickey WDW is our HAPPY PLACE!

We are staying a AKV Sept 25-30, but there are no DVC rooms available the night of the 30 to check out Oct 1, should we spend $350 for an extra night at the AKL or to get that extra night in WDW should we go a little cheaper? But would that be a huge hassle? I even thought about doing that extra night at the Poly or GF(never stayed at either yet), but again would hopping really be worth it or should we just stay put for the night at AKL? Tell me what you think!

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. Dani C

Dani C DIS Veteran

It's not nearly the hassle you would think. The main thing is that you actually have to go through the check-in, check-out processes and if your park passes are tied to the room and you don't get tickets with the additional nights room, you will want to go very early to the other resort to check-in so you have the tickets/meal plan. Disney will transfer your luggage for you, just let luggage services know when and where they need to go.

4. cydswipe

cydswipe Mouseketeer

If you do stay somewhere else... save yourself the time and get a taxi to get you between resorts. :goodvibes

5. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

Some think it's a pain, others don't. I don't. Hubby sort of does. Others are vehemently opposed to it. You won't know how you actually feel about it until you do it! :)

6. Sammie

Sammie DIS Veteran

It's personal, put us in the category that hate. Been there done that, ain't doing it again.

7. CR Resort Fan 4 Life

CR Resort Fan 4 Life DIS Veteran

The first time my family and I did a split stay we didn't think it was a pain at all. Although we had our own car while we were at WDW and before we checked into our second resort we went to Downtown Disney for a few hours and had our luggage with us.

8. GrumpyBelle

GrumpyBelle DIS Veteran

I prefer not to do it, but Disney makes it painless. We wanted to stay at Kidani 4/20-4/27. The first night was not available so we stayed at Jambo for that one night before moving to Kidani. We simply called bell services that morning and they collected our luggage and labelled it for Kidani. We then checked out of Jambo and went to Kidani to check in--needed our new KTTW cards as we had the DDP. It was an easy process.

9. msminnieears

msminnieears Mouseketeer

This sounds like a hassle to me!:scared1: I've never personally done the resort hop but if it's only for one night I could not imagine it being worth the extra time out of the day you could be spending in the parks.:confused3

10. Sue M

Sue M DIS Veteran

Looks like you have no choice but to move your last night if there is no availibility for a DVC room. It would be easiest to stay at AKL rather then move resorts for 1 night.
    There prob. will be discounts for Late summer/Fall so hopefully you can get one of these discounts for that night. In the past they've come out early June.

11. Kim1964

Kim1964 <font color=teal>Was intimidated by her bug, but d

I am a big fan of split stays, but for one night I would go with moving to AKL from AKV. As long as you plan to be out most of the day, the "homelessness" of the morning and early afternoon won't matter, and it would be a simple thing to make that particular move.

12. pepe of ohio

pepe of ohio DIS Veteran

Did it once....never again let alone for one night......being resortless for most of the day is not alot of fun to spend the day......we checked out of one at 8am....room not ready at second resort until after 4 pm and didn't see our luggage until way later....total waste of a day. We would not go to a park in the morning, get all hot and sweaty to return to no room....and what..sit in the lobby.....never again...even for 350.00....we'd stay put....once we unload, we ain't packing up again until it's time to go home.....nothing a second resort is going to do for us for a few days.....we don't resort hop either to do look sees.....

13. pigletto

pigletto DIS Veteran

I am in the same boat for the last day of our trip. I have switched resorts before and it wasn't a huge deal, but it does feel like a hassle to do it for one night. I am the opposite of you though.. I think I will move to a value for our last night. We'll be leaving so early that I can't see spending the money to get a really nice room for one night.

14. tlenzendorf

tlenzendorf Always Dreaming of Disney!

DH and I did it last March on our alone trip and didn't find it that bad. We had all of our 1 night stuff in our carry-on and left the rest of the stuff in the suitcase. In the morning then we took a cab so we could just get settled in right away.

When we did it with the kids in 2009 we stayed at a DTD resort for 2 nights. We did the same thing with the having the 2 night stuff in carry-ons and the rest in the bigger bags. This time we had a car and moved ourselves.

Here is my thought. If money isn't an issue to you, it's definitely easier to just stay in the resort you are in. We try to maximize the amount of time we stay so I don't mind moving to be able to stay longer. If it means changing the amount of time you stay or having to cut back on other things, then I would stay someplace cheaper. If it's to try someplace new and you know what's involved I would say go for it. It was more of a hassle not having a car and we wanted to get checked in so we could get our tickets and have our dining plan activated which is why we took a cab.

15. Chickkypoo

Chickkypoo DIS Veteran

Disney makes it so easy to switch resorts.

I wound up staying in at 5 different resorts in 10 days my last trip due to DVC availability, and didn't find it to be a hassle at all. Disney is really good about transporting luggage (including my groceries) for you.

You're going to have to check out and check in on your last day anyway, why not try somewhere new?