Worst Room at the BWV?

Discussion in 'Purchasing DVC' started by BarbaraMB, Jul 4, 2003.

1. BarbaraMB

BarbaraMB <font color=CC99CC>Is right! Good tags come to th

Let's say without any request and you get what you get, what could possibly be the worst 2 bedroom villa we could end up? And what are the chances of refusing and wanting somethiing better?

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Official Ticket Center is Orlando’s #1 discount attraction ticket agency, selling millions of Walt Disney tickets around the world.

to hide this adverts.
  3. CarolMN

CarolMN DVC Co-Moderator Moderator

The one next to the disfunctional family with the out of control kids. :teeth:

Seriously, even after several stays, we've never had any BWV room that wasn't good. I honestly think the worst thing that could happen would be to get placed next to inconsiderate/noisy people. There's not much you can do about that except complain to the front desk and hope security will have a talk with them.

Good, if you are willing to make a big scene in the lobby. :p Seriously, I really don't know (although I have witnessed another guest making a scene over not getting a Boardwalk view). I suppose it depends on the CM as well as how early you check in and what other rooms may still be available. BWV has a high occupancy rate pretty much all year round.

FWIW, I really don't think you have to worry. IMHO, some people place way too much emphasis on a "perfect" room or a "perfect" view. Chances are very good that you will have a wonderful room and an equally wonderful stay.

Enjoy the planning.

4. dvc_john

dvc_john DVC since 1993

I don't think the chances of getting a different room would be very good. The only time I ever requested a different room was when they gave us a very smelly smoking room when I had requested 11 months earlier a non-smoking room. They either couldn't or wouldn't reassign us.

5. Stinson

Stinson Mouseketeer

We've stayed at Boardwalk in 2 bedroom units on many occasions and have never had a bad one. However, if all else fails, I think they will change your room for a small room exchange fee, but we have never had to do this.

6. BarbaraMB

BarbaraMB <font color=CC99CC>Is right! Good tags come to th

Thanks for the reply. I am hoping that WE are not that noisy family!!!!! I think for the most part that is the least of my concerns. Most families, especially with young children, fall asleep pretty quickly from a full day. I just don't want a view of some top of building or a parking lot knowing that around the bend is a fab view of something else! But all in all just being there is a pure joy!

7. DebbieB

DebbieB DIS Veteran

You don't have to worry too much about a parking lot. Some of the standard views face the parking lot but it's in the distance, you really don't notice it.

I've heard people complaining about rooms behind the pool slide, behind the DVC office and over the Jellyrolls dumpster.

8. InstImpres

InstImpres DIS Veteran

I thought VWL was the only resort with the notorious dumpter view.;)

9. Connears

Connears Connears

We had a 2 bdroom preferred view in 2001 and DID get the worst room. The next to the last room from the lobby (our only request was non-smoking NEAR elevator)and beleive me..its a long 10-15 minute walk after the parks at night! I overlooked another building and some flowers and was told it WAS a preferred view! When I returned home, called MS and they refunded the extra points we had to use for a preferred rrom. Don't like the attitude at BWV and won't return. Love OKW and just enjoyd BCV for the first time.
    Connears

10. 5infam

5infam DIS Veteran

Connears,

Never been to BWV...what do you mean by not liking the attitude there. Is it the CM's or the other guests, maybe the atmosphere? Please expand.:cool: :cool: :cool:

11. DeeP

DeeP DIS Veteran

I have stayed at BWV so many times I have lost count and I have never had a room that was not a good room or a room with a bad view, of course I have had rooms that had better views than others like a boardwalk view vs a standard view room but even the standard view rooms have nice views. I have also never run into any CMs with a bad attitude. BWV is a wonderful resort, it is very upscale but yet not stuffy, is located in a fantastic location, with very friendly CMs, with a very upbeat fun atmosphere and has every possible deluxe resort amenity you could desire to spoil and pamper you to the fullest. It is a fantastic resort to stay at.

12. Lesley

Lesley DIS Veteran

The first time I checked in at BWV there was a woman in front of me at the desk who had wet carpet....soaking wet carpet. And they couldn't change her room because the resort was booked up.

Then we checked in and my dh started getting ill...and we got a studio that was in less than perfect condition. The toilet backed up, the door fell off of the cabinet under the sink, and the intake grill for the air conditioning was apparently never cleaned. And our floor was damp as well near the kitchenette (don't even want to think about that considering the other problem we had...ours wasn't soaking though...more like it had recently been cleaned in one area and didn't dry out) Had my family not ended up all sick by the end of the day I would have requested another room...as it was we just needed a place to rest right away.

Later that week we made a planned change to a standard view 1br.....and everything was perfect again.

Oh, last time we stayed at BWV we had a noisy dryer....but they fixed it right away. We had a 2br with a gorgeous Boardwalk view. In my brief DVC experience, it seems that BWV doesn't keep on top of things as well as some of the other resorts....but that could also be partially the members there. If they're not told about problems they can't fix them. I think housekeeping is a bit more hit or miss here as well. We've had housekeepers come in who obviously did a great job and were incredibly friendly....but have also seen where some housekeepers may not have been doing their jobs very thoroughly. Its been my goal since our first stay to make sure management knows when things are wrong (and when they're right too!)

13. DeeP

DeeP DIS Veteran

Lesley,
    That is a shame you had problems during both visits to BWV, are they the only times you have stayed at BWV, or have you stayed there and had wonderful trips also? I have stayed at BWV numerous times and have never had a problem. I think the resort is very kept up, my experience has been nothing but positive at BWV for years. But again I have basically had nothing but positive experiences with the housekeeping and upkeep of any WDW resort I have stayed at and I have stayed at almost every WDW resort there is many times. I hope you have a better experience at BWV next time, and I agree with you when there is a problem management needs to know. They can't fix what they do not know about.

14. Dads Dream

Dads Dream Mouseketeer

We also had a negative experience at the BWV’s last August. First of all we requested a Boardwalk view and didn’t get it. (I understand that happens a lot) Second we requested a room close to the elevator with limited walking (this request was for medical reasons, DW had double knee replacements 8wks prior) When we checked in we were assigned the last 1BR in the resort as far away from the elevator as you can get. CM would not do anything to accommodate, DW stood at check in, heels firmly dug into the rug, CM Amanda would disappear behind the back door for 10-15 minutes at a time, every time she came back with the same answer “NO”. We stood there for over 45 minutes DW practically in tears from the pain for standing so long. Amanda could not and would not change the room, and of course the manager was unavailable. Finally she did offer to move us closer to elevator (2 rooms closer!) but she wanted to charge us the change fee. Her attitude and resolution was not what we expect from DVC.

On check out day we spent time enjoying the Boardwalk. DW slipped off a stair and ruptured her antilles tendon; thank goodness we still had the wheelchair. We went to the lobby to see if we could get some ice. When CM found out that we had already checked out she told us to go to the nurse at EPCOT or call for outside medical help. WOULD NOT EVEN GET HER ICE !!! We requested a manager who suggested we all go to the pool and see if the Lifeguards had an ice pack. Needless to say we left that lobby vowing to never stay there again!

If you think that they treat you poorly when you are staying there, try asking for something after you check out!
    :(

15. kathleena

kathleena <font color=FF99FF>Because everyone needs a Fairy

DeeP, I have had the same great experiences as you at the BWV. Always great. I have never had any issues with CMs there. We had one small problem with a door on the freezer in the refrig in a studio once, called mousekeeping and they were there to fix within 5 minutes. Put a new door on right then.

Dads Dream, how awful for you. Did you write to WDW to tell them about these experiences after? It certainly shouldn't matter that you had checked out at all.

And a general comment, I think it's important to remember that good and bad experiences have, and will, be had at every single resort at WDW. ALL of our bad experiences have been at OKW. They have run from a bad room, to a bad check-in to bad mousekeeping, to broken and dirty room.

16. InstImpres

InstImpres DIS Veteran

I have to agree wth Nancy. We have never had a problem at BW or OKW but about 8 weeks ago I was ready to cancel my BCV ressie as there was a lot of negative posting. I guess to some extent it is luck of the draw and this month it is obviously Boardwalk bashing time.

Sandy

17. mbhoxsie

mbhoxsie DIS Veteran

I have stayed at BWV several times... Never have had a bad experience relating to treatment by the CM's....

I have been in that room on the top floor, furthest from the elevators.... I would agree that the walk is a bit long, especially with two strollers and after full day of being at one of the parks..

The view was Preferred for that trip... (Usually, I'm lucky enough to get the Standard..) We had a view of the canal, and of the Swan and Dolphin, as well as the flower garden below...

Being that far from the elevators was a bit of a inconvience, but not horrible for us.. It did limit the amount of foot traffic that went passed our room and quieted down the hallway a bit.. ;-) With two babies, this was a blessing..

I actually prefer the Standard views over the preferred...

18. DebbieB

DebbieB DIS Veteran

The question of the elevators being far from some rooms came up at the annual meeting I attended in 2000. Someone suggested elevators on the far end so that you could exit to the parking lot area. They said unfortunately, there is no way to add them now but they would keep it in mind when the build future resorts. I believe at BCV they did put more elevators in. We were on the end near the pond one time and used the steps to get down to the exit by the parking lot rather than walking all the way to the elevators and out. Of course, if you have a medical problem, that would not be possible.

I've stayed at OKW 4 times and BWV 3 times and never had a major problem at either. One thing about BWV is it is usually close to fully occupied, leaving fewer options for assigning rooms for special needs.

19. WDWguru

WDWguru aka tivogirl, keeper of the live WDW webcams at ht

We actually like those rooms near the end of the hall. We spend a lot of time at the Studios and it cuts the walk time in half if you're already down on that end of the building! Just take one of the stairwells in and out (there are certain stairs you can access from outside with a room key) if you are able. I understand not everyone can, but if so, it's great!

20. CarolMN

CarolMN DVC Co-Moderator Moderator

We also like those end of the hallway rooms. In addition to the shorter walk to the Studios, the rooms at the end of the hallways tend to be much quieter than those closer to the elevators. There's a lot less hallway traffic.

21. CaptainMidnight

CaptainMidnight DIS Veteran

I would think a room directly over top a loud bar or restaraunt would not be desirable.