Worst punishment when you were a kid

I've pretty much had it all...spankings, being grounded, cherished items removed for a time, being "talked to"...nothing worked. I really was a rotten kid. :sad2:

I got swatted on a daily basis when I was a kid. My mom was teaching me to read and I would get the same word wrong over and over again. I got swatted each time. On the back where it hurt. That was accompanied by her telling me how stupid I was. In my defense it was early in the morning before school so I was only half awake. But I'm sure I was a trial.

But I do love to read. I used to read a book a day in the summer when I finally learned how to read. I still have my nose in my Kindle many hours a day.

No trips to the library to check out new books. That didn't happen too many times, I decided library time was too important. This is with my father and "step"mom (she's my mama :goodvibes ). If my biological mom had picked me up for visitation it could be lots of things from being locked outside to not being able to call my dad or lots of swats and yelling. Daddy just didn't spank, ever.

for us that had spankings, do you think they worked ? I do, but just a little bit, I think new punishments are about the same, they work a little (I was going to be bad no matter what :p)

When I was about 8, my father had warned me to stop saying OMG because it was disrespectful. It was a hard habit to break, but I was trying. Then one day I was flushing something (a dead pet fish I think) down the toilet and I said "All gone!" My father heard me, thought I said "Oh, God" and called me into his office. He ignored my pleas of innocence and said "Do you know how the nuns used to punish us?" Then he had me hold out my hand and whacked me across the knuckles with a pencil...that hurts! I still hold a grudge about that since I hadn't even done anything wrong!

I kinda had something like that happen to me as a teenager. I knocked something off the kitchen counter and said, "Oh, shoot!" Dad thought I said a different word that starts with S. He started SCREAMING at me. It took me probably five minutes to convince him I didn't say what he thought I said. I'm not sure he really believed me, but he stopped screaming at me.

Thankfully, my parents didn't believe in spanking us kids. My worst punishment was being grounded to my room for two weeks. During that time, my dad was planning on doing some major yard work and I offered to help him. After we were finished, I was shocked when he told me that I wasn't grounded anymore because I did something nice for someone and didn't ask for anything in return. One time I borrowed one of my dad's books and accidentally ripped the cover. He made me buy him a new one. I learned a lot from my parents about how to treat others and I appreciate that they taught me things instead of just hitting me.

And you probably just wanted to get out of your room for some fresh air and exercise. :p

for us that had spankings, do you think they worked ? I do, but just a little bit, I think new punishments are about the same, they work a little (I was going to be bad no matter what :p)

I remember being spanked.... but I don't remember what I did wrong..... So I can't really say. It probably did considering how scared I was of my dad when I was little. :guilty:

sailorstitch

I remember once when I was in daycare for punishment they made us write sentences well do to my physical disability I could not write at the same time as my peers so I told them that and they made a example out of me my mom pulled me out so quickly heads were spinning

My mom used to hit us with all sorts of things - her favorites were wooden spoons and those wooden paddles that have bouncy balls attached to them with elastic. She'd buy those and take the bouncy balls off and use them until she broke them on us. She would also make us count the number of hits we'd get out loud while she did it. The worst thing I can remember, though, was one time I was eating cherries and I put my hand up to my mouth to spit out a pit - she thought I was snickering behind my hand and whacked me on the face, really hard. I think it hurt worse because I wasn't doing anything.

And to the PP who asked if spanking works, I'd say NO. I do not lay a hand on my children, ever, because I think the "spankings" I got as a child have made me have anger issues. I work very hard to keep a mild temperament and discipline with love, not screaming or anger.

wooden_spoon_survivor_light_t_shirt_png_tshirt-rcf43a7583f594402930f3719b3a2a7ad_va6lr_324.jpg

Well, it depends.

Worst, physically, was when my mother would get into one of her crazy moods and start beating the crap out of us - slapping, hitting, hair pulling, etc. Not real fun.

Worst, mentally, was when she would walk away to think about it, then call you back and make you listen, and listen, and listen, and listen. I'd almost rather be hit.

Worst, chore-wise, was when she would go crazy and pull everything from our closet, dressers, shelves, backpacks emptied, books off of bookcase, etc and throw it all in the middle of the floor and tell us that we can't come out of our room until it was cleaned. Ok, whatever, except I shared a room with 2 sisters and the amount of "stuff" that was pulled was enough for about 3 days of cleanup. And eventually, there was usually a belt involved at some point.

Worst, anticipation-wise, was on Sundays in the car after church - the dreaded words "when we get home, we are ALL going to clean the house" because that was prime time for mother to go apebat-crazy and start her screaming, yelling, lectures, hairbrush-wielding, belt-hitting psycho-ness because the kitchen floor didn't get cleaned "correctly"

On lighter notes:

1. When my sisters and I fought, having to stand in front of our mother and say we are sorry to each other, then have to hug each other. LOL
2. Having to do dishes after dinner in 100 degree summer weather and singing church songs at the top of our lungs
3. Being grounded to our rooms for the afternoon and forgotten about, but getting out of being called to change laundry loads or fetch something for our mother.

I got some garden variety swats (also with the little paddle ball paddle like a PP) and some occasional groundings, but it was relatively infrequent and not very memorable for the most part. What actually sticks with me as absolute torture was being made to take a nap at 3 and 4 years old. Didn't need it, didn't want it, didn't sleep, HATED it.

Ironically I'd give my right arm if I could actually nap some days now.

My dad spanked me twice, both times in a very controlled manner after he had calmed down. From that moment forward, all it took was the question, "am I going to have to spank you?" to get me in line.

The worst punishment I recall was my mother "taking away Halloween" -- I was struggling with a math class in school, she (accurately) assessed that my problem was not ability but laziness, and told me if I failed to meet some criteria (I forget what) then I would not be permitted to dress up and go Trick-or-Treating. I did not meet the criteria and did not go trick-or-treating that year.

She still feels bad about it ;p I think she did the right thing, I WAS a stubborn and lazy student at that age (about 7). I WAS being obstinate, not incapable of doing what was asked of me, and I deserved the consequences. It took me about 20 years to admit that thought.

I slammed my bedroom door in my mother's face once and that was that for the bedroom door for several months. She removed the door and I had absolutely NO privacy and no way to keep my younger sisters out. End of the world for a teenage girl.

Works every time. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter