Worst Ending to a Disney Trip EVER! (and other things that happened) - UPDATE 6/22!

YAY!! :cool1: Lucky 13!! (Though now it is lucky 12, I guess. But still!!)

Awww...thanks. Are you going to do a trip report for your upcoming trip?

And congratulations on your upcoming wedding!!!! :dance3:

Already married! heading down to celebrate our first ear anniversary! :)

They had Star Wars cupcakes that I couldn’t get a good picture of because the CMs putting it on other people’s trays did not face them towards me. Can you believe it? One family was not paying attention and I ALMOST reached out and turned their cupcake.
Just wondering, could you have taken a picture of the cupcake even though it was upside down from your viewpoint? And then later, turned your photo to the right orientation?

Just wondering, could you have taken a picture of the cupcake even though it was upside down from your viewpoint? And then later, turned your photo to the right orientation?

The cupcakes had tall frosting with an upright candy figure. Which, of course, was facing away from me. I would have literally gotten the back of Darth Vader's head.

Here is a pic from the Disney Food Blog:

Darth-Cupcake.jpg

Which actually looks way nicer than the cupcakes looked in person.

I'm finally all caught up!!!!!!

I didn't realize how behind I was!! I'm finally getting back into full DIS-mode and am playing catch up.

What a fun trip so far!! It's a bummer that the first few days were hard, but looks like you're having a blast now!

upload_2016-10-26_13-14-24-png.203282

I <3 Beauty and the Beast!!!!!

I love these pics!! I will finally try Lafou's Brew in September.

The story about the tween in TSMM line had me laughing so hard. People like that always seem to find me too :sad2::rotfl:

The one time I went to Typhoon Lagoon on my first Disney trip, the wave pool took my bathing suit bottoms so I fully relate to your struggles:rotfl2:

Oh ya! also I'm the same way with meeting characters...I've only met 1 non costumed character and it was Snow White my first trip. She was amazing but I feel like no one else will top her and I'm weary about meeting other Princesses but I think I'm going to next trip for sure! ::yes::

Thank GOD for the barrier in front of the ride vehicle but is Mr. Under Armour trying to catch a peek????

:rotfl2::rotfl: Mr. Under Armour was getting more than he expected on Tower of Terror.

We played Heads Up again in line. I really think that the people in line around us either get a kick out of it or think we’re crazy. These people thought we were crazy.

For as popular as this app is, I'm surprised at how many people give weird looks when someone's playing it in line.

I ALMOST reached out and turned their cupcake.

That would probably have been crossing a line but now I kind of wish I had done it…

I just visualized some random family completely freaking out because they turned around to get their food and found a stranger snapping a photo of their food.
In all honesty, though, I have had way weirder interactions. Someone went as far to ask me if they could taste my food to see if they wanted to order it for themselves...
So taking a photo? That's nothing.

I WAS THE REBEL SPY!

Nice.

It would have been interesting to see if your theory panned out the second time, but I have to admit, reading about your dad panicking over his hat was much more fun. We've all been there before. It's entertaining to read other folks' momentary brain burps.

I am finally caught up in reading your trip report! I have been MIA lately, but I'm back in WDW vaca planning mode for Sept 2017 and LOVE reading Trip Reports to find new adventures to have!

The cupcakes had tall frosting with an upright candy figure. Which, of course, was facing away from me. I would have literally gotten the back of Darth Vader's head.
Oh... if I really wanted a picture of a food item that was not well positioned for a picture, I'd probably just ask a cast member if I could take a picture of one that they hadn't served yet. I once did this at a non-Disney hotel: "Your breakfast buffet looks so nice. Would you be willing to lift the cover so I can take a picture of the scrambled eggs?" They were flattered and happy to oblige.

I'm finally all caught up!!!!!!

I didn't realize how behind I was!! I'm finally getting back into full DIS-mode and am playing catch up.

What a fun trip so far!! It's a bummer that the first few days were hard, but looks like you're having a blast now!

I love these pics!! I will finally try Lafou's Brew in September.

The story about the tween in TSMM line had me laughing so hard. People like that always seem to find me too :sad2::rotfl:

The one time I went to Typhoon Lagoon on my first Disney trip, the wave pool took my bathing suit bottoms so I fully relate to your struggles:rotfl2:

Oh ya! also I'm the same way with meeting characters...I've only met 1 non costumed character and it was Snow White my first trip. She was amazing but I feel like no one else will top her and I'm weary about meeting other Princesses but I think I'm going to next trip for sure! ::yes::

I am a bit behind on the DIS right now too so I understand!

Yay!! I'm so glad you'll get to try Le Fou's brew. It's the best! But it is reeeeally sweet so be prepared!

I realize that I've flashed my bottoms several times this trip! I probably should be banned! :rotfl:

Good luck with the face characters on your next trip!

I just visualized some random family completely freaking out because they turned around to get their food and found a stranger snapping a photo of their food.
In all honesty, though, I have had way weirder interactions. Someone went as far to ask me if they could taste my food to see if they wanted to order it for themselves...
So taking a photo? That's nothing.

Wow! I could never ask a random person to try their food! I would maybe wish I could but wow! That is waaay bold!!

Nice.

It would have been interesting to see if your theory panned out the second time, but I have to admit, reading about your dad panicking over his hat was much more fun. We've all been there before. It's entertaining to read other folks' momentary brain burps.

It's especially funny for those of us who know him because he is normally so pokey but when one of his things is missing (actually or otherwise) he immediately gets in to gear. I had to quickly stop him before he actually left the loading area!

I am finally caught up in reading your trip report! I have been MIA lately, but I'm back in WDW vaca planning mode for Sept 2017 and LOVE reading Trip Reports to find new adventures to have!

And now I'M the one behind! Haha. I'm glad that you are back in planning mode!

Caught up and enjoying reading your experiences!

Thank you! Another one is coming up very soon!

popcorn:: snack ready, eagerly awaiting the next adventure!

Yay!! Coming soon!

Oh... if I really wanted a picture of a food item that was not well positioned for a picture, I'd probably just ask a cast member if I could take a picture of one that they hadn't served yet. I once did this at a non-Disney hotel: "Your breakfast buffet looks so nice. Would you be willing to lift the cover so I can take a picture of the scrambled eggs?" They were flattered and happy to oblige.

I never even thought of this. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll remember it the next time I want a hard to get pic.

Sorry I've been so MIA lately!! There has been lots of distractions at home. I will tell you about it sometime but for now, we need to get this TR back on track!

Day 6 Part 3 – Hitchhikers (No ghosts)

As we left off, my parents were about to get a surprise.

I had a 2:35pm ADR for Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater. My dad loves science fiction and both my parents (and myself) enjoy retro things. I thought that this would be perfect. I didn’t put it on the schedule because I wanted to surprise them in the park.

But after their lackluster reactions to my last “surprise” I wasn’t expecting much. Since they don’t look at the schedule, everything’s a surprise!

Good thing that I didn’t expect much because we walked up to Sci Fi and I said that we would be eating here for a small meal. For fun!

<crickets>

Yeah.

I told them that they were going to love it and we went in. It was super crowded in the waiting area. Which explains why I was only able to get a weird, middle of the afternoon time. I checked in and the host CM confirmed our allergies and informed me that I would seated in one of the two places – a car or a “picnic table” in the back. I’m sure that they let you know ahead of time so you aren’t disappointed but I knew I would be totally disappointed if we didn’t get a car!

There was water in the waiting area and my parents went back several times to drink. It’s nice that they have it but it’s a little like a feeding frenzy or the water cooler at work. People just hang around it constantly like it’s the last chance for water. Ever.

I was quite anxious while I was waiting. I really wanted that car and I was nervous about what my parents would think. Especially my dad and especially after the WCC dinner. I knew that it probably wouldn’t be loud in there but you just never know how my dad is going to react sometimes.

I don’t think the wait was long but it felt like forever to me. And I felt like a sardine packed in the waiting area. But the alternative was waiting in the heat outside.

When they called my name, I think bolted forward and I’m pretty sure I hip checked people out of the way. My parents were scattered about the waiting area since it was crowded so I looked around and made a frantic “with me” motion. The time had come!

giphy.gif

The CM lead us to…..

A CAR!

YAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY!!!

upload_2017-2-1_15-2-45.jpeg

Mom and I sat in the front seat with me in the driver position (of course!) and dad behind us. We got our allergy menus and looked them over. We weren’t super hungry so we thought we would just get appetizers. With hopefully no fuss.

Two women were seated in the last row of the car. Our server came up to us and she said, “Great! You guys have hitchhikers. I’m sure they’ll want to pay for your meal.”

We all turned to look at them and I grinned wide to let them know I was joking when I said, “Oh great! We’ll have one of everything, then.”

<crickets again!>

Seriously? Man, am I striking out today!

But really, I’m super hilarious.

No smiles from them. Nothing. Just completely blank stares. I think it was pretty obvious that I was joking but maybe it wasn’t. Or maybe they didn’t speak English. Though if someone smiles at me, I usually smile back even if I don’t know what they are saying. The server just kind of glossed over it and went back to us. She took our drink orders (just pop for us) and asked about our food allergies. I told her what I had and Mom sort of told her what she had. Mom doesn’t like to mention her tapioca allergy because it gets people all weird but it’s important. So I spoke up when she didn’t mention the tapioca allergy. Immediately, the server said she was going to get a chef.

Oops. We really only wanted something small.

When the chef came, he was great. He went over the entire menu and I felt bad that we weren’t getting a meal. I think we tried a couple of options but he had to go back and double check a few times about the tapioca. Mom and I decided to share a hamburger and fries. The bun would be on the side for me because it had tapioca on it. Dad got the chicken wing appetizer with a side of fries. (Mmmmm. Salty treats! I think I get my love of salty treats from my dad.)

Our drinks came and then we sat and watched the sci-fi movie trailers while we sipped. I had to bend down and lean forward in order to see under the “windshield” bar of the car. We didn’t talk much which was just fine. I was enjoying watching.

upload_2017-2-1_15-1-9.jpeg

upload_2017-2-1_15-1-40.jpeg

(Haha. Creeper Dad. He looks like one of those serial killers who hide in your backseat and then smile right before they get you!)

I don’t remember how long it took to get our food but I don’t think it was too long. At least, it didn’t feel too long. Probably because we were watching the show. The hamburger came split on two plates with another plate with the bun for me. And a side of fries.

I don’t have a picture of our food, sorry. It was really dark and you couldn’t see much of anything so I just gave up. The hamburger was good. Nothing special but not bad either. My dad liked his wings well enough. We all like the fries. They were steak fries. My preferred fry is shoestring but these were very good. Crispy on the outside with good flavor and soft potato on the inside, not dry at all.

By the time we were finished, the film had looped back around. Other people have said this before, and I agree – it needs to be a bit longer. We were done pretty quickly and it had already looped.

The hitchhikers had already left by the time we got the check so they skipped out on paying for the meal. Some people, I tell ya!

I loved how it said “Parking Violation” on the receipt. I got a HUGE kick out of it. More than it warranted, probably. I just love when a theme is carried all the way through.

It’s the little things.

We wandered about just a bit on our way out to check out the theming. So good. I asked my parents what they thought and they really liked it. It reminded them of their childhoods/young adulthood.

Score one for me!

upload_2017-2-1_15-3-28.jpeg

There were even more people shoved in the little waiting room and outside when we left. I was glad to have gotten a chance to go in the middle of the afternoon even though it’s kind of an awkward time. It was pretty quiet inside.

We were done with our 3 FP+s so we looked online and got another one for ToT. As we were walking from Sci-Fi Dad said that the crowds were really low. It was very nice. I’m getting so spoiled!!

Since our FP+ wasn’t for another half hour, we shopped a bit. Mom bought some super cute Minnie ears and I bought myself a Hank backpack. I LOVE Hank from Finding Dory. You’ll see me wearing him later on in the trip.

I switched out my fuel rod. So handy. Mom still uses hers at home and just charges it at night.

When I looked at MDE, my Chewbacca PP pics weren’t there.

super-sad-cat-depressed-kitten-13595918793.gif

I went to the PP place and since I was one of the first of the day, we found them easily. She added them all in to my account. So check before you leave the park! (Not that you couldn’t find them later, it’s just easier the same day.)

We popped over to ToT for our FP+ it was NOT needed so we went around and did it again right after.

upload_2017-2-1_15-19-31.jpeg

SO. GOOD.

We had pretty much done what we wanted - we were hot and tired - and since we were going to be there again, we decided to leave.

upload_2017-2-1_15-20-10.jpeg

(Dad loves this old gas station area.)

On the way out, we saw a characterpalooza going on outside the entrance. I should have stopped and gotten in line for a character but no one really “spoke” to me. There was Geppetto, the Genie, Jafar, I think, and someone else who I can’t remember.

upload_2017-2-1_15-18-41.jpeg

Since we weren’t in a hurry, we waited for the boat. It took a bit to get there. Luckily, we were the first stop. Up in the room, I read for awhile and napped a bit.

In the evening, Mom and I went to DS and shopped. It was quite warm and the atmosphere was different than when I went the other night. That night was cooler and there was a fun energy in the air. This time it was hot and it seemed like people were tired and cranky. We walked all around the new stuff. It really is pretty once you get past the outlet mall looking area.

upload_2017-2-1_15-20-58.jpeg

We were thrilled to find the Savannah Bee Co, which my DH LOVES. Mom got him some things for Christmas. We went to the Coke store. I was excited about that. I LOVE coke. I also wanted to check out the bar up top. The elevator was really annoying. There were long lines for it so we found the stairs and just used that. Though it was really confusing but kind of fun. You walk around on the outside of the store to get to up and down levels. The bar up top was disappointing. I thought that there was alcohol but I didn’t see that as an option. I think I found later that they open the bar at night but it was night so I don’t know why it wasn’t there. I wanted to get a personalized shrink wrapped coke but it was more expensive than I wanted to pay.

Uniqlo was really different. I do like that they have a lot of Disney clothes. We got kind of excited to see there was a Disney baby section but some of the clothes seemed cheap, like they were made out of paper. There were a few shirts that were nice. I was looking for something for my middle sister’s baby. I already had an Animal “Hug Me” shirt for my other sister that I was actually going to give to my brother-in-law. They love the Muppets and music and my brother-in-law and I have this thing where I make a big deal about hugging him and how much I know he loves my hugs and he pretends that he barely tolerates them. And he truly is pretending. Though I did have to ask my sister just be super certain. I didn’t want this to be a case where he’s pretending but he really actually feels that way.

(Spoiler alert – I had my brother-in-law’s name for Christmas and as bonus part of his gift I gave him the Hug Me shirt. You could tell that he really really like it. Yay!!)

I wanted something as awesome and meaningful for my other sister’s baby.

No luck.

Oh well, have to keep looking!

After exploring the area, we were just not feeling it anymore so we decided to leave.

Back at the ranch, I took a bath to soak my sore knees and then went to bed.

Fun day!

Up Next…

Day 7 Part 1 – The Packing Blues (or in my case, Reds)

Last edited:
Just now finding this and following along!

Mom and I sat in the front seat with me in the driver position (of course!) and dad behind us. We got our allergy menus and looked them over. We weren’t super hungry so we thought we would just get appetizers. With hopefully no fuss.

Two women were seated in the last row of the car. Our server came up to us and she said, “Great! You guys have hitchhikers. I’m sure they’ll want to pay for your meal.”

We all turned to look at them and I grinned wide to let them know I was joking when I said, “Oh great! We’ll have one of everything, then.”

<crickets again!>

Seriously? Man, am I striking out today!

But really, I’m super hilarious.

No smiles from them. Nothing. Just completely blank stares. I think it was pretty obvious that I was joking but maybe it wasn’t. Or maybe they didn’t speak English. Though if someone smiles at me, I usually smile back even if I don’t know what they are saying. The server just kind of glossed over it and went back to us. She took our drink orders (just pop for us) and asked about our food allergies. I told her what I had and Mom sort of told her what she had. Mom doesn’t like to mention her tapioca allergy because it gets people all weird but it’s important. So I spoke up when she didn’t mention the tapioca allergy. Immediately, the server said she was going to get a chef.
I thought this was funny! How odd that they had no reaction. Whomp whomp.

Following! Thanks for the feedback on sci fi - we'll be there in a few months with my two daughters, one of whom is severely allergic to egg, dairy, and wheat, so it's great to hear from others who also have these limitations :)

But after their lackluster reactions to my last “surprise” I wasn’t expecting much. Since they don’t look at the schedule, everything’s a surprise!

That's how Josh is too :laughing: I have to remind myself if I decide to skip something on the itinerary that I'll just confuse him more by telling him since he doesn't even know about it in the first place.

<crickets>

Yeah.

Your parents obviously are unaware what lovely surprises your giving them :rotfl:

But the alternative was waiting in the heat outside.

The air conditioning in Sci Fi feels so good when it's hot out.

<crickets again!>

:rotfl2: well I think you're funny.

By the time we were finished, the film had looped back around. Other people have said this before, and I agree – it needs to be a bit longer.

Yeah I think we watched it at least twice when we went.

There was Geppetto, the Genie, Jafar, I think, and someone else who I can’t remember.

Geppetto looks so adorable.

The elevator was really annoying. There were long lines for it so we found the stairs and just used that.

We went around when it first opened, and there wasn't a line for the elevator, but there was a person in it and it took forever to come back to our floor!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter