Worried

Mookie123

Earning My Ears
My family is going to Universal at the end of March, I am a big girl (5'5"--24/26). I know that I probably won't fit on the coasters but I'm curious about the others such as: MIB, Spiderman, Jurassic Park, Minions, the Mummy, Transformers, The Simpsons, Shrek and etc. could someone please help this is our first time going. I don't want to have to just sit and hold bags the whole time.

You shouldn't have an issue with any of those. You may have an issue with Forbidden Journey and the coasters but there are tester seats out the front of each queue. Make sure you try those out as you may be pleasantly surprised. It all depends on where you carry your weight.

For the coasters, they have a modified seat in row 6. I carry my weight in my stomach too and have always been able to fit in the modified seat.

For the coasters, they have a modified seat in row 6. I carry my weight in my stomach too and have always been able to fit in the modified seat.

Row 3 also Robbie........

OP........There's definitely no one size fits all on these rides........one year a guy on his own asked us to push the restraint of the test seat down on the hulk.......didn't think he would make the ride as it was tight, but he decided to try anyway and he fit I am glad to say.........so you really do have to try the test seat where there is one.

Don't be embarrassed about trying the test seats at all.........people don't tend to notice you doing it........some folks make it look like they're taking a picture instead.........

Good luck, hope you get to ride what you want........

I saw some you tube videos where some women were testing seats at Universal. Something about 'will we fit on' and they were testing one the HP rides. One fit and one did not so you could see body type/size.

I'm sorry I can't remember exactly but my daughter was looking at Universal ride videos and Harry potter area walk throughs.

The ONLY one in your list that, from my family's experience, might be difficult, is The Mummy. And that's because it forces you to put your legs in between the lap bar "legs". But at your size, and since you say you carry it in your middle, and you don't mention that you have bigger legs, you stand a good chance. DH can't do it because he carries it everywhere and has (awesome) solid sumo legs, and cannot squeeze his legs in enough to get them in there, so that ride is out for him.

But he fits on everything else in that list. He's 5'10"+ and over 350.

Good luck, hope you get to ride what you want........

Same same same same.

you'll see that Universal has been designed with all of us in mind.

Now I think that is doing people a huge disservice. Universal was NOT designed for everyone; come spend time with my family on a trip and you'll see that. There are size limitations at all themeparks, and Uni isn't as generous as Disney. Even Disney isn't perfect; there's one ride that's now gone and one ride that's still there that DH never got on at California Adventure. (maliboomer and what's now Sky Skool...Sky is because of the same leg issue that The Mummy has) DH might never get on Mummy, just b/c of his legs, even once he gets back down to where he once was. Even back then his legs were still incredible, but possibly too big to squeeze between. (this would also affect Gringott's for him)

Now I think that is doing people a huge disservice. Universal was NOT designed for everyone; come spend time with my family on a trip and you'll see that. There are size limitations at all themeparks, and Uni isn't as generous as Disney. Even Disney isn't perfect; there's one ride that's now gone and one ride that's still there that DH never got on at California Adventure. (maliboomer and what's now Sky Skool...Sky is because of the same leg issue that The Mummy has) DH might never get on Mummy, just b/c of his legs, even once he gets back down to where he once was. Even back then his legs were still incredible, but possibly too big to squeeze between. (this would also affect Gringott's for him)

Yes, of course you're right. Why try to say encouraging words? Why at all?

I forgot this is the DIS, where friends are hard to find, and people snark. Then I'll point out out the obvious. I didn't say Universal fits everyone. I said it designs with all people in mind. That means that people of all sizes were considered when designing these rides, and through a mathematical algorithm measurements for each component of ride seats were determined. It's math and engineering. However, it's shortsighted to think that every size on the spectrum of human possibility wasn't considered. All sizes were considered. And after statistical analysis, measurements were drafted.

But, instead of encouraging someone to try the test seats, and do so confidently and with pride, not worry, I should have just ignored the OP?

It has been a long time since I was Universal (on my honeymoon with my now ex-husband) but we loved those tests seats. I am 5' 11" and was a size 24/26 and I had no trouble anywhere. My ex-husband was 6' 2" (ish) and about 375 probably and I think he got on everything we tried. His only problem that I remember was at Disney on a smaller roller coaster with only a lap bar. No one will notice you trying the seats, and I hope you find you can ride anything you want!

Yes, of course you're right. Why try to say encouraging words? Why at all?

I forgot this is the DIS, where friends are hard to find, and people snark. Then I'll point out out the obvious. I didn't say Universal fits everyone. I said it designs with all people in mind. That means that people of all sizes were considered when designing these rides

But, instead of encouraging someone to try the test seats, and do so confidently and with pride, not worry, I should have just ignored the OP?

Everyone's opinion is welcome here.

I have noticed you always are encouraging to others and give helpful tips

you phrased just like you said previously, it is designed with all people in mind.

Just as a reminder to all, snarking is not going to be tolerated

Opinions are fine, but think twice before postings can be taken as a jab to others.

the OP has a worry about fitting on rides at universal not disney.
from what i have read from damo's post with links, i say the op has a great chance of enjoying many of the rides.

Last edited:
I am 5'11 and fluffy ;) and had already lost 75lbs when I went last Summer, the only issue I had was Gringotts and from my understanding the Mummy ride is very similar. My knees really was more of an issue than the size of my stomach/rear but I am sure if I lost more in the rear I could fit better in the knee area. I tried to ride in the back row too, since it's more roomy but my knees are bad and I couldn't handle the way they needed to be on. The TM's were great, and I didn't feel embarrassed, I was just sad to miss the ride. FJ they asked me to sit on the end, its a little more roomy I suppose but I fit on fine. It's hip width on that ride that makes the difference IMO.

I don't really have big legs just my tummy region. With the modified seating do they guide you to them. Im trying not sound petty or crazy about this but I am really worried about this issue. I just want to be able to enjoy this with my family. I really appreciate everyones help.

I don't really have big legs just my tummy region. With the modified seating do they guide you to them. Im trying not sound petty or crazy about this but I am really worried about this issue. I just want to be able to enjoy this with my family. I really appreciate everyones help.

This site might be helpful...

http://allears.net/tp/ridz_ioa.htm

Iirc the only rides with modified seating are the 2 coasters(Hulk will be closed)at IOA. If you fit in test seat then just ask the attendant for modified seating and they will put you in the lane with it. It's only one seat in the aisle and you'll be able to tell it because it'll have 2 buckles instead of one.

On your list the biggest problems will probably be minions and the mummy. ET, Mummy, and MIB also have semi thin seats but I don't think the actual harness will be an issue on them.

While I agree with others that the Mummy is bad if you have big legs....it also doesn't work if you have a tummy. It has to go to a certain spot in order to lock and be cleared to go.

Word of warning on how minions works....It's a set bar that has to come down all the way. I haven't been on it lately but this is how it worked when it was Jimmy Neutron and it's likely the same. But you sit in a big theater with a bunch of ppl and they'll have you raise your hands as they lower the bar. If you don't fit on that then it'll probably be pretty embarrassing as an entire theater will be staring at you waiting and wanting to get the ride over with.

Last edited:
the above link to the article was from september 2016, going on 6 years ago.

some changes have been made since then.
some of the rides listed in that article no longer exist.

we don't know if the rows 3 and 6 wil be the same when the Hulk reopens.
those were the rows people that needed extra space, were seated in the past before it went down for remodeling.
that rides comes back up this summer.
adjustments were also made to FJ in the past.

still, it is an interesting older article and worth a read as many list their specific sizes
this helps you get a general idea if you need more descriptions on ride seat selections

I'm 5'8" and size 26 and slowly going down (yea!) and carry mine in my torso. I haven't tried Rip Ride Rocket, but I fit on everything save Gringott's (my husband who's 5'6" and 165 couldn't do it either, it was too painful of a seat) and Forbidden Journey- but FB was weird.

Now, Warning- this SHOULD NOT HAPPEN TO ANYONE ELSE. IT was a complete FUBAR situation.

I knew I might not fit as I carry my weight high. I watched as guys more barrel chested and defined heavier than I tested chairs and were cleared. I cleared both the outside and inside queue test seats with no problem, but when I got on the platform I couldn't get the harness down in time (it STUCK) let alone pushed down, and the attendant immediately directed me to the side. I was told I didn't fit.

When I tried to explain what had happened, they called a lead. Who said I couldn't fit but I could ride any other ride, just give her name. Husband then started asking about the test chairs, and she got flustered. My anxiety sparked, as we were just off the side where EVERYONE was exiting. So I was ready to leave- where's the elevator as my husband can't take stairs.
Then it's oh the elevator is broken, you have to take the stairs. THAT got my attention out of my anxiety as I explained to her her couldn't take the stairs, he asked at the beginning of this if there were stairs and was told there was an elevator, so how are you getting him down? Their solution? Shouldering back through the Hogwarts queue against the people.
By the time we hit the end and were outside (swimming through the gift shop during the Harry Potter Weekend- go us), I was in tears from the anxiety. Husband went to Guest Services to explain what had happened exactly, after checking with the cast members at the front to see if they knew the elevator was out. They didn't.

Oh, and the guys who I saw testing earlier? They rode without a problem. I know they're bigger in dimension and size than I am because they were my brother's height (6'6") and at least his weight (335+).

I'm 5'8" and size 26 and slowly going down (yea!) and carry mine in my torso. I haven't tried Rip Ride Rocket, but I fit on everything save Gringott's (my husband who's 5'6" and 165 couldn't do it either, it was too painful of a seat) and Forbidden Journey- but FB was weird.

Now, Warning- this SHOULD NOT HAPPEN TO ANYONE ELSE. IT was a complete FUBAR situation.

I knew I might not fit as I carry my weight high. I watched as guys more barrel chested and defined heavier than I tested chairs and were cleared. I cleared both the outside and inside queue test seats with no problem, but when I got on the platform I couldn't get the harness down in time (it STUCK) let alone pushed down, and the attendant immediately directed me to the side. I was told I didn't fit.

When I tried to explain what had happened, they called a lead. Who said I couldn't fit but I could ride any other ride, just give her name. Husband then started asking about the test chairs, and she got flustered. My anxiety sparked, as we were just off the side where EVERYONE was exiting. So I was ready to leave- where's the elevator as my husband can't take stairs.
Then it's oh the elevator is broken, you have to take the stairs. THAT got my attention out of my anxiety as I explained to her her couldn't take the stairs, he asked at the beginning of this if there were stairs and was told there was an elevator, so how are you getting him down? Their solution? Shouldering back through the Hogwarts queue against the people.
By the time we hit the end and were outside (swimming through the gift shop during the Harry Potter Weekend- go us), I was in tears from the anxiety. Husband went to Guest Services to explain what had happened exactly, after checking with the cast members at the front to see if they knew the elevator was out. They didn't.

Oh, and the guys who I saw testing earlier? They rode without a problem. I know they're bigger in dimension and size than I am because they were my brother's height (6'6") and at least his weight (335+).

This not the way guests should be treated
I feel awful you had that experience as you did not deserve that

Did you send an email to GS?
If not, do one now so they are aware and have a record of what you went through
TM 's need to have uniform ways of advising guests for the rides with modified seating.
And to do so in a way to let the park guest know they are valuable to them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter