Worried about Plane Change in Chicago, in January!

ChicosWife

The Caribbean DCL Life For Us!
Our flight changes planes in Chicago. I am really worried about getting delayed in both arrival and then in departure. I don't want to miss our boat! Any experience with this, from anyone?:scared::confused3

What times are you flying what layover, are you getting in a day or two before the cruise?

We will fly into Midway at about noon, the day before. We are due to arrive in Orlando at about 6:30 PM. I just worry about a serious delay, or worse cancellation, due to some long storm.

We will fly into Midway at about noon, the day before. We are due to arrive in Orlando at about 6:30 PM. I just worry about a serious delay, or worse cancellation, due to some long storm.
There can be storms that time, trip insurance is a good idea, and travel with a big airline with a high number of aircraft they recover quicker from delays.

Reactions: MUN

You have a legitimate worry; however, snow storms can pop up around the country during winter months, not just Chicago. You are doing the right thing by flying into Orlando the day before the cruise. Chances are your flights will be fine and you will arrive in Orlando on schedule. I would recommend purchasing trip insurance.

MUN

We bought the trip insurance, but it would still be such a disappointment! We are traveling Southwest.

You have a legitimate worry; however, snow storms can pop up around the country during winter months, not just Chicago. You are doing the right thing by flying into Orlando the day before the cruise. Chances are your flights will be fine and you will arrive in Orlando on schedule. I would recommend purchasing trip insurance.

MUN

Gosh, I hope you are right! I just emailed the airline to see what their history is for that time of year and what their alternative would be so that we make it to our destination in time. I know it's hard to predict, but I want to make sure they will ensure our arrival to Florida in time, somehow. :idea:

I agree it would be a disappointment to miss the cruise because of bad weather; however, keep in mind that plenty of people travel in winter months without incident.

MUN

Thank you, Mun.

What would happen if (God forbid), I miss the boat due to delayed flight. What would the trip insurance do? Just the refund?

Thank you, Mun.

What would happen if (God forbid), I miss the boat due to delayed flight. What would the trip insurance do? Just the refund?
Good question. Your policy will address that; however, I would call the insurance company to discuss that with them. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about. I suggest you focus your efforts on how much you are going to enjoy your cruise. As Zig Zigler would say (I think), "..stop that stinking thinking, it will give you a hardening of the attitudes."

MUN

An oldie but a goodie: http://www.disboards.com/threads/wh...-is-cancelled-weather-mechanical-etc.1363416/

Watch the weather. Watch SW's website. Watch your airport's site. Watch MCO's site! Watch everything to see if storms are moving in. Check those websites to see if they pop up with info about changes being allowed. Have plans in place at work and school (or whatever your time constraints are) to know IF you can leave early if a storm is slowly moving in. Pack EARLY so you're ready to go.

Just read the above link. :)

Never ever trust your airline to contact you about changes. Once they contact you, the good flights out will be GONE. Be proactive!

And yes, the insurance will just get your money back.

Good question. Your policy will address that; however, I would call the insurance company to discuss that with them. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about. I suggest you focus your efforts on how much you are going to enjoy your cruise. As Zig Zigler would say (I think), "..stop that stinking thinking, it will give you a hardening of the attitudes."

MUN

Thank you, Mun! :thanks:

An oldie but a goodie: http://www.disboards.com/threads/wh...-is-cancelled-weather-mechanical-etc.1363416/

Watch the weather. Watch SW's website. Watch your airport's site. Watch MCO's site! Watch everything to see if storms are moving in. Check those websites to see if they pop up with info about changes being allowed. Have plans in place at work and school (or whatever your time constraints are) to know IF you can leave early if a storm is slowly moving in. Pack EARLY so you're ready to go.

Just read the above link. :)

Never ever trust your airline to contact you about changes. Once they contact you, the good flights out will be GONE. Be proactive!

And yes, the insurance will just get your money back.

Good advice! Once we get into January, I am going to become a weather/airport stalker! LOL:smooth:

Last February, I was on a cross-country trip with the kids, using SW. We were scheduled to leave Wednesday, connecting in Houston. The previous Saturday, they started predicting "Snowmageddon." I called SW, but since no advisory was issued, I couldn't change without paying the difference in fare (x3 was significant). I kept following all day Sunday, still no advisory. First thing Monday morning, I called again, was again told if I changed I would pay. I checked their website, and their social media. Their social media accounts were getting blasted by stranded passengers in the midwest and southwest, but still no advisory. I posted to their FB wall, pointing out that Delta and American had already issued advisories, were they planning to? I got a message back that they were, that I should call again. I called, was told no advisory, asked them to check with a supervisor as I had a message that they were issuing one. Agent came back on the line, told me they were, but it hadn't posted yet, but since I was on the phone, she'd go ahead and move me to a flight on Tuesday at no charge. I got 3 seats on the first flight out on Tuesday, and was told there were only a few seats left on that flight. We got to the airport at 530am. We were the only flight that took off on time that day, and by lunch, all flights were cancelled. Our airport was closed through Thursday night (small, Southern airport). The news was full of stories of stranded passengers. We were able to enjoy our trip, and even got an extra day out of it, because we were prepared to leave ahead of schedule and because I kept harrassing SWA. If you are prepared and vigilant (and maybe prepared to pay extra to change to another flight if absolutely necessary), you should be ok. Have a great trip!

A couple of our extended-family members were snow-delayed due to closed airports in the midwest, and the airline had to get creative to get them to Orlando in time. They ended up spending the night in NYC then flying south the next morning, but they arrived in time for our cruise.

We lived in Chicago for a number of years and normal snow doesn't phase airline operations though midway is way more susceptible to delays and cancellations than OHare. I agree with the PP to keep track of the weather because if there is going to be a mega storm they usually know and you can fly down a day earlier or take an extra connection to skip Chicago.

Reactions: Kae
We lived in Chicago for a number of years and normal snow doesn't phase airline operations though midway is way more susceptible to delays and cancellations than OHare. I agree with the PP to keep track of the weather because if there is going to be a mega storm they usually know and you can fly down a day earlier or take an extra connection to skip Chicago.

This is 100% true. I broker aprrox 1,350 flights in to Chicago in January for a corporate meeting every year. We do not allow any of the attendees to fly in on Southwest (or any other flights in to MDW) because of the issues at Midway and the lack of service and advance planning on SWA's part for travel advisories. O'Hare does a much better job of keeping flights moving. Often times, we have more issues with storms affecting flights coming in from other parts of the country that cause delays or cancellations because the plane that was supposed to come in to Midway for the departure could not leave its destination.

FWIW, I have NEVER had an issue getting in to Chicago (ORD) on a flight from San Diego, but almost always have an issue leaving ORD in January. If it were me, I would allow more than 24 hours to get to my destination or attempt to move my connection to Phoenix or Dallas Love if I could and avoid Chicago Midway.

The issue isn't just with how Chicago deals with the weather. The issue is everywhere else. If the plane cannot get to Chicago, you cannot go on easily.

I walked into seatac a few years ago for a flight to SNA. OK so it was 3 flights; traveling on miles and the cheapest one was Sea to PDX to somewhere to SNA. Walked into madness. Beautiful wonderful day in SEA! Utter madness on the east coast. So many planes couldn't get out of their airports the night before, so we had no plans for our flights. Ended up getting it all switched, had a different CA airport to switch in after PDX, was delayed and had obnoxious layovers, but it worked out. If I had had somewhere to be in a timely manner it would have been even harder!

I live in the Chicago area and almost exclusively fly SWA. I prefer the ease of Midway over ORD. I did miss a cruise several years ago in December when a storm hit the area and not a single flight got out of Midway until late that evening (day of the cruise). I learned several lessons about flying out early, purchasing trip insurance, being more vigilant watching the weather ahead of time, etc. so I will never end up in that exact situation again! To the OP, you're being smart already by looking ahead and getting great info here so my bet is you'll arrive just fine, but IMHO it can't hurt to look into any options for arriving earlier or switching airlines so you fly into ORD. As much as I prefer Midway under normal circumstances, it can have more issues with weather locally and if problems arise once you're there, you have fewer options than if you're at ORD.

I would leave 2 days early to be safe, especially with the winters we have been having the last few years. This also gives you a chance to drive, worse comes to worse.

Spend the extra day at one of the WDW parks.

AKK

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter