Worried about gas !

princesslily

Disney finatic
My in-laws are driving down to meet us at Disney next week. I'm really nervous about lack of gas and price of gas! Anyone else driving and worried about gas? :guilty:

YES! We are going this weekend and they are saying that with the new hurricane prices of gas may go up to $5.00 per gallon. Governor Bush was on TV today saying that he expects a big shortage of gas next week due to Hurricane Rita. We are thinking of cancelling our trip. Very scary.

Let's all wait and see before we panic. They were saying exactly the same thing with Katrina--and the only real gas shortage was caused by media-induced panic buying. In fact, the oil companies didn't even accept (buy) much of the oil offered from the stragic reserve. Unless an actual refinery is severely damaged, there really shouldn't be a problem. The price will undoubtedly rise, but that isn't unexpected.

If you are driving 1000 miles and only get 20mpg, even if gas were to go to $5 a gallon, it's only an extra $200. If the budget is so tight that people can't swing that without not eating for a couple days, I question the wisdom of going to WDW to begin with.

Anne

I agree, the shortages were mostly short term and localized to the most popular stations.

I would just make sure to fill up at every stop, or every other stop. (About 100 miles is all I can do before I have to stop anyway.) That just means stopping at gas stations every stop instead of rest stops.

Carol

ducklite said:
If you are driving 1000 miles and only get 20mpg, even if gas were to go to $5 a gallon, it's only an extra $200. If the budget is so tight that people can't swing that without not eating for a couple days, I question the wisdom of going to WDW to begin with.

Anne

???huh??

The fear is that there will be no gas to buy and the effect $5.00 per gallon would have on our economy. Where you got eating for a few days vs. traveling to disney is beyond me.

Thanks for the economy lesson, I guess.

Yes - I am worried, too. We are leaving first thing tomorrow morning to drive from West Virginia to Disney. We have not had any problems with availability here yet, and prices are still going down a bit, but I don't know what is happening in the south. We can handle higher prices, it is lack of availability (or having to wait in lines for hours) that concerns me most.

Well, the Katrina shortage was "self induced" just by panic. I heard on NPR this AM that the refineriers in the Houston area were still running last night, but folks are of course panicing. (I already got the "FEMA is rationing" bougus email) However, it's going up.

I think you will be able to find gas. The "shortages" last time were mainly in cities where folks like me decided to "fill up now" Just stop at half a tank or so at a rural area.

(by the way, Lookingforward the OP did post that he/she was worried about the PRICE also)

I am indeed panicking because I live on the Gulf Coast and these crazy people have emptied the gas stations!!!!! I WILL be travelling 'home' next Friday with gas prices whatever they are. I am on a pretty tight budget, even though I'm bringing sugarmama with me (my mom), I can handle a couple hundred extra for gas, won't like it, but will not give up our trip. I am terrified my DH will worry himself silly that I am heading into unknown lands if there is a shortage. I am praying there will be gas available. :prayersmilie:
Angel

It is certainly not a panic situation, but a concern. I was just watching the trading and oil actually dropped, which is a good sign. Here is south florida the supply is good. I think the danger will be if the refinerys are damaged. Many of the processing plants are in Houston. I guess we will wait and see. We are still going this weekend, but for us it is not that much a gamble. It only takes one tank of gas from our home to WDW and back again. I was initially reacting to Gov. Bush's press conference where he warned of severe shortages and urged people not to hord gas and to conserve. That was yesterday. Hopefully all will listen. There definately is a large surplus that the feds stored and kept topped off after 9/11 in the event of nationwide supply problems.

Carol A, I totally undertood the OP's initial concern. I was just wondering what eating for a few days had to do with a valid concern about climbing gas prices and supply was all about. I guess it was just an illustration.

Hope all goes well with everyone. I am praying for those who have suffered already (I am on Florida's crisis response team and am on alert to head out again soon) and to those in Rita's path.

I was just watching the trading and oil actually dropped, which is a good sign.

Not really. If a lot of refineries are closed or damaged, you can expect a drop in the price of oil. That does not mean that gas will follow suit.

The fear is that there will be no gas to buy and the effect $5.00 per gallon would have on our economy. Where you got eating for a few days vs. traveling to disney is beyond me.

The post was about driving to Disney during a potential gas crunch. Cancelling your Disney trip is not going to change the economy much. The point is that gas, even expensive gas, is not going to add that much to the cost of a Disney trip.

Gas should be available at some price as long as no one gets the bright idea of trying to put price caps in place or bringing up charges of price gouging.

The good news is that Rita is down to 125mph and may continue to weaken. That is a HUGE drop from two days ago.

lookingforward said:
???huh??

Thanks for the economy lesson, I guess.

The OP asked about the lack of gas and price of gas, and then said "Anyone else driving and worried about gas?" A reasonable interpretation would be that A. there wouldn't be gas and they'd be stranded, and B. the price of gas would cause a major budgetary problem with their trip. I don't believe they really cared about what impact the price of gas would have on the economy, more the impact it would have on their trip. I answered her based on that interpretation. :rolleyes:

Anne

I just saw on CNN that the govenor of GA has closed the schools on monday and tuesday to save on gas. Our prices started going up last night. 10 cents in an hour. I live in a small rural town though.

And Gas is plentiful in GA right now.... It's still cheaper then just after Katrina.

I don't get this one at ALL and I live in GA. I think the Gov of GA is starting a panic and I hope he has his facts right, but I think this one is half cocked! I can gurantee that the local gas stations will now run out of gas tonight. Everyone will RACE out after this announcement and fill up thier tanks and anything else they can find.

As I suggested--most all of this is media induced panic--aided and abetted, it appears, by certain government officials. All this BEFORE they even know what will happen!!!
If I didn't know better, I'd think the media WANTED to see gas shortages. Or perhaps even create the image in peoples minds, even w/o any hard evidence.
Of course, I know better----------

cnauman is quite right--supply and demand will take care of the price of gas, wherever that winds up. Put caps, etc in place and the oil companies simply won't refine gas. Then gas will be $2.00 a gallon and there won't be any!!!

CarolA said:
And Gas is plentiful in GA right now.... It's still cheaper then just after Katrina.

I don't get this one at ALL and I live in GA. I think the Gov of GA is starting a panic and I hope he has his facts right, but I think this one is half cocked! I can gurantee that the local gas stations will now run out of gas tonight. Everyone will RACE out after this announcement and fill up thier tanks and anything else they can find.

And the Gov was successful.... he started a panic!!! Last night the distributiors were on the news saying there was plenty of gas, but of course since the Gov cancelled schools everyone paniced.

And I am not sure I get this... the school districts have thier own Diesel NONE of them are saying they are out for the buses and ALL the parents who work will still be driving and may drive even farther since they have to now take kids to day care as opposed to putting the kids on the bus. The Governor is trying to act like it's a SNOW day, but as one mom pointed out when it snows in GA everything closes... This is just plain stupid!!!!

This man is losing my vote in a hurry!

I don't get this one at ALL and I live in GA. I think the Gov of GA is starting a panic and I hope he has his facts right, but I think this one is half cocked!

This sounds like a classic example of a politician that is trying to show that he is doing something even though he has no real control over the situation.

There is going to be some panic buying (although I am sure that most of the panic buyers are still well stocked from last time) and some price spikes. These should settle out quickly, and the worst of them will be this weekend and early next week.

This is really gong to mess with Atlanta schools that are on a year round schedule, they are off the first week of October anyway. That would give them a 4 day weekends, three days on, then a full week off. Hope they did not have exams planned for next week. I would sure hate to come back from a long break to face exams.

I think the Govenor is trying to show "crisis management" by creating a CRISIS!

Sheesh!

cnaumann said:
I don't get this one at ALL and I live in GA. I think the Gov of GA is starting a panic and I hope he has his facts right, but I think this one is half cocked!

This sounds like a classic example of a politician that is trying to show that he is doing something even though he has no real control over the situation.

There is going to be some panic buying (although I am sure that most of the panic buyers are still well stocked from last time) and some price spikes. These should settle out quickly, and the worst of them will be this weekend and early next week.

I live in Georgia and have seen no evidence of a panic. I bought gas today and there were no lines and plenty of pumps were open.

We just returned from a lovely weekend in Orlando. The price of gas in central Florida is about $.25 cheaper than the palm beach county area. No shortages noticed anywhere either. Gas remained at $2.59 per gallon on WDW. It was slightly more expensive in town.

My comments about the economy were made after viewing various CNN and MSNBC commentators discussing the "what ifs". Boy, those can get you scared, they were talking recession, etc. I agree about the panic mode, I was beginning to panic last week when the hurricane was approaching the gulf. My husband, who is much more realistic than I, calmed me down! :confused3

The crowds at WDW were smaller than usual, but business was steady(will post a short trip report soon). We had a terrific time enjoying more adult oriented activities since we were without our three kids. We booked another weekend in October :flower:

Sorry if I misunderstood some of the posts. You all have such great insight and opinions!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter