Worried about distance - Thinking of folding bike

Yellowstonetim

DIS Veteran
First time at the Fort with my wife for 10 nights in our Jayco Swift 14 foot TT. My only worry is distances. Most days we will probably drive to the parks except for MK days when we will take the boat. We will either use the internal buses, or get folding bikes.

A few questions:

If you ride bikes to the marina can you leave them there all day? Do bikes use the road, path, or golf cart path?
Do internal buses run 24 hrs? What do you do if you are back late from one of the parties?
How early can we catch a boat to the Contemporary? I have heard you can do valet parking at the Contemporary for a price if it isn't busy season. Anyone done this?

We are considering buying folding bikes to take along but aren't sure they are nevessary.

They have bike racks at the marina, and at the Trails End, Trading Out Post, and Meadows. You can ride a bike on the pathways with no problem. We leave our bikes at the marina and spend all day in the MK and never had a problem with anyone messing with the bike.

Btw, Disney wants you to have headlights and tailights on your bike.

Last edited:
I'm not for sure how late or early the buses run in FW. I'm sure they run well after the parks close. I have rode the bus in FW around 1 am I know. Bama Ed or someone will be along with a better answer, than me.

The buses run late. They have to accommodate people coming back from DTD and EMH. The boat to the CR starts at 6:45 AM.

Consider getting wet on the bike ride your "evening shower"

Most of your questions have been answered, but you asked about where you ride the bikes. All along the main roadways there are sidewalks. These are for walking, running, or bikes. The golfcarts use the roadways just like the vehicles. Once you are in a loop however, you can ride the bikes in the roadway of the loops just like everyone else.

P.S.
I see you are there September 29th through October the 9th. We come in the morning of the 9th so we may be just missing you guys.

Last edited:
Tim,

Like Paul says, the internal busses don't run 24x7 but they do run early and late to get people back/forth to scheduled events so I would call it a 20-21 hour bus cycle at the Fort. Funny thing is, at the Fort one trip my site backed up to the main road down by a main bus-way and I heard EVERY bus in that 21 hour span and it didn't bother me.

For the MK you can do a few things to help your transportation plans. If you reserved a Premium site, ask for loops 400 or 700 which are close to the boat docks. The Preferred loops 100 to 300 are close also (close means easy walking distance to the boats). What type of site did you reserve?

Bikes use the cart paths and if your bike is special you might want to bring a lock because I suppose bikes can walk away but there are several racks down at the docks so I suppose a thief has his choice of unlocked bikes. Lights etc. are a good idea because of the walkers who also use the cart paths at night. IMO no folding bikes needed especially if you are in a loop close to the docks.

Bama Ed

PS - Oh, BTW, what's the Yellowstone connection in your username?

Thanks for all the good info, everyone! I have a Full Hook-up reserved for 10 nights. I had thought about asking for 1600 so we could be as close as possible to the pool and hot tub. We love a hot tub after a long day in the parks. However that would leave us far from the marina. We won't do MK everyday and won't do the marina area most days, but we do want to do the hot tub. :) Either way we have to travel some distance at least a few times. We may just use the internal buses for the days we aren't driving. Thanks again for all the info and ideas! Check in is September 29th!!

Bama Ed, I am in an online Yellowstone National Park club. I've had people in my home from overseas from the club and our club has met in Yellowstone. It was one of the first things I found on the internet back in 1997. My first online presence was as Yellowstonetim along with my email and that hasn't changed to this day. I am a Disney fanatic, but my other life is as a National Park fanatic. :P

Yellowstonetim,
I may hit you up for some information eventually. We are looking at wanting to do a camping run out to Yellowstone in the next 2 years during the summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter