Worried about crowds in May...

Calvinosaurus

YoHo YoHo a Pilot's Life For Me!
DW and I have been planning to stay at the Poly the first week of May. But we are concerned about the possibility of WDW being more crowded at that time due to the big celebration starting on the 5th.

The reason we chose the first week of May is because we were there at that time before and thoroughly enjoyed it. (Not too crowded, that's kind of a priority in our vacation planning :D ) But I have heard a couple of rumblings about the Poly being filled up and the parks being crowded and so I am thinking about reconsidering our plans.

My other two options are to go the last week in April or the second week of May. I figure that there is a greater chance of new attractions being open the second week of May, but how will the crowds be? And will there still be alot of spring breakers around the last week of April or is spring break generally over by then?

What would you do? Or am I fretting over nothing? :confused3

Our last visit was in the first week of May and the crowds were not really that bad. However with the celebration starting up that may change things this year. There probably is no real way to determine what it will be like other than to guess. As far as spring break goes, Easter is in March this year so the people who have their spring break then won't be a problem. My DS's school's spring break is not until the week of April 18th. I think any time in the month it probably has the possibility of being busier. I really was no help was I?? :sad2: Good luck with your decision though.

If it makes you feel any better, I just called yesterday to book our stay May 7th-11th and had my choice or any resort I wanted. I checked lots of different resorts, and they all had rooms available.

I don't think its going to make much of a difference except at the MK the first day. We are going May 4-9.

We stayed 8 nights in May 2003....first week in May. I thought it was a great time to go. If it rained during our stay, it must have done it at night. I didn't feel one drop. It was warm, but not bad...I come from Dallas and know a thing or two about warm.

My wife and I thought it was an absolutely great time of year to go, and if I could do it again this year at that time, I would in a heartbeat. I'm stuck doing an early October trip this year.

I lived there several years. Sept-Oct was my favorite time of year. I'm sure you won't be dissapointed in Oct.

If you're still reading...

the second week of may is my first choice of the dates you are considering. We had the same choices and are going with the next to last week of April, but would prefer May. My mom & dad are going with us & they can't go in May. :(

I wouldn't worry. We always go around that time and it is never crowded. I don't think they are publicizing May 5 as the big day to go, it's just the start of an 18 month celebration. I was there on Dec 5, 2001 on Walt's 100th Birthday. The celebrations they had were mostly private parties for invited guests (media people). I'm going May 7 to 13 and haven't thought twice about it.

Thanks, all. I guess maybe I was over-reacting a little. :rolleyes:
But I'm feeling much better now. :cool1:

Thanks, I too was a little worried about the time. We are going May 9-15. and I feel much better about it.

I'm with everyone else. I think that they only place that May 5th will be a big concern is at Disneyland itself. I would say that on the 5th itself, wherever they media events are being help will be more crowded than normal, but that everything else should be okay. Hope we're all right! Have a great trip.

I just called and made my reservation at the WL for May 18-22 and asked the cm about the 50th celebration. She told me that I'm the first person who has mentioned it! (but then again, she also didn't know AP holders had our own phone line, so take this info for what it's worth,lol!)

Calvinosaurus said:
Thanks, all. I guess maybe I was over-reacting a little. :rolleyes:
But I'm feeling much better now. :cool1:

If you were over-reacting about the potential crowds, so was/AM I!! I was wondering the same thing as we are going May 9 to May 17. We have gone at this time in the past and LOVED IT!! We are hoping to have the same "manageable crowd experiences" as we have had in the past!

We live in NJ and our schools are closed the last week in March for Easter and also the 22 and 25 of April for who knows WHAT?!?. So those two weeks in April may be a bit more crowded than usual also???? It's anyone's guess!!

Anyway, I am hoping that because the celebration will last for 18 months that people won't "flock" to WDW just to be there at the beginning of the celebration. My DH is not concerned at all and thinks I'm being "silly"!! (if his opinion makes you feel any better!!) :D

(ATTENTION THOSE WHO ARE ABOUT TO FLAME: Yes we take our four girls out of school and I will ignore ANY "flamers" so don't waste your energy!!) :blush:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!